2011-2012 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What makes you unique, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community? (suggested 250 words or less)

2. Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai. (optional, suggested 200 words or less)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
whats the school culture like? any thoughts on sinai vs cornell or sinai vs. columbia for that matter?

Why no love for Sinai on here? I'll go ahead then....:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
whats the school culture like? any thoughts on sinai vs cornell or sinai vs. columbia for that matter?

All great schools. I'd say Columbia and Sinai are more similar to each other in terms of culture than Cornell. We interbreed a lot with them. :laugh:

can you expand on that a little?

Does anyone know if legacy plays any part in Mt. Sinai's admissions?

Mt. Sinai prompt is up. Only two essays.

I just received an email from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine with the essay prompts -

Thank you for submitting your AMCAS application for the 2012 admissions cycle. As you know your AMCAS application has been verified and we wanted you to know that we will be sending you an email with the link to our supplemental application in the next two weeks and we look forward to receiving your completed application.

In the meantime we would like you to have the essay questions in case you would like to start thinking about them:

• What makes you unique, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community? (suggested 250 words or less)
  • Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai. (optional, suggested 200 words or less)

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the MSAR, all applicants are given a secondary. Did they used to screen for secondaries?

To Mt. Sinai medical students:

I know a lot of people who have gone to this school for an MD or MD/PhD and they all seemed to do research here many summers. Are they looking for connections with the university? Also, would you say that they value research mroe than the average school? I'm personally very interested in research and that has been a huge reason why I am applying here. Thanks all!

On a similar note, how bad would it be to apply to this school with no research? Any idea if I would be completely shooting myself in the foot by applying here?

To be honest, I doubt chances are real good without research.

I am still giving it a shot though :luck:

Secondary is written and ready to go... Send it out already! :laugh:

On a similar note, how bad would it be to apply to this school with no research? Any idea if I would be completely shooting myself in the foot by applying here?
When I interviewed they explicitly said they aim to produce academic clinicians, so if you have no research you probably need a lot of teaching or similar experience to make up for it.

Due to the very high amount of humanities people who get into sinai I would guess a fair amount of people do not have much research or none at all under their belt. Don't thnk its that bad, but then again my .02

Due to the very high amount of humanities people who get into sinai I would guess a fair amount of people do not have much research or none at all under their belt. Don't thnk its that bad, but then again my .02

Have the majority of you received the secondary? I do not have my MCAT score or LORs in so maybe that is why...

secondaries havent been sent out yet i dont think

Research is a must. Don't sleep on humanities majors. Most of us have clinical/bench research too.

I just received the Mt. Sinai secondary. MD/PhD applicant. If you are sending letters via AMCAS, do not complete step 4 of the secondary where it asks you to register your recommendation writers. Did not read the bright red, bold notice...oops

Just got the (official) secondary invite this morning. MD applicant.

Last edited:
I just received the secondary email which says, "Thank you for starting the official online version of our application." even though I never started it. There's no password given to me and when I click the forgot password and try to email it to myself nothing happens. Anyone else having this issue?

I just received the secondary email which says, "Thank you for starting the official online version of our application." even though I never started it. There's no password given to me and when I click the forgot password and try to email it to myself nothing happens. Anyone else having this issue?

Same here. Password is your AMCAS ID.

Yayyy just got it :). Just to say, my password was not my AAMC ID#. I requested to have it sent to my e-mail.

Does anyone see where we are supposed to upload essay 2 (optional)? I only see a place for essay 1.

Just got the (official) interview invite this morning. MD applicant.

You received an II already, the same day as the secondary? Or did you just mean you received the official secondary invite.

Don't make me freak out homie!

Does anyone ever upload a photo of a them self if does not ask to upload one?

You received an II already, the same day as the secondary? Or did you just mean you received the official secondary invite.

Don't make me freak out homie!

Yeah, sorry, I meant secondary invite but I had a brain fart. I submitted 6/1.

When I'm on the essay 1 page, I click on the next-arrow button, and essay 2 page comes up...
Thanks...that's very confusing. Page 1 = step 1, page 2 = step 2, page 3-5 = step 3, and then step 4 isn't page 6? Ah well.

Would I need to fill in the recommender registration if my LORs have already been received through AMCAS?

Would I need to fill in the recommender registration if my LORs have already been received through AMCAS?

When I click on that page red text says, "Note for MD and MD/PHD applicants, your letter of recommendation has been received. Please continue to the next step." So, if yours says this you don't have to.

I got the secondary too - and yes that red prompt on the LOR page means that I don't have to complete that section. All my letters are in AMCAS. They should have received it.

Has anyone submitted yet? I just did. Feel like I kind of rushed it now.

There was nothing to rush, don't worry. Haha, it was only 450 words max!!

Does anybody know about the school? I have never been to New York and I was just wondering what it's like going to school at Mt. Sinai.

I'm not sure if I should spend the $105 or if it's too far a reach.

For the essays, I am not getting any text boxes to type them in.

I see that there is a document upload button and am wondering if I am supposed to use that to enter the essays. If so, do I just type them individually in Word documents?

Any help would be appreciated!

For the essays, I am not getting any text boxes to type them in.

I see that there is a document upload button and am wondering if I am supposed to use that to enter the essays. If so, do I just type them individually in Word documents?

Any help would be appreciated!

Yes - type them in word and upload.

Status
Not open for further replies.