2011-2012 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbup:

I should start blogging....

I am a terrible writer and I am more of a do'er. It took 10 drafts for my PS and 7 people to read it over until it was complete.

Could you imagine walking in my shoes? (5 secondaries so far, I am stressing out :scared: )

The PS is one of the most important papers of your life. It should have a ton of drafts and readers. I know for a fact that I had a completely different paper at the end than my first 5 drafts and I had more than 5 people read it for sure. Some for grammar, some for content, etc. The PS you can control, you can write whatever you want, so I think it has a certain type of importance to the committees. U of M says it's overrated though and they think more of LORs than the PS. Each school is different, some care about the writing style, some about the content, etc. All you can do is to be yourself and do your best!!!

Members don't see this ad.

just in case people were curious..i asked them what they were screening got and apparently it's a 24 on the mcat...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sausage fest can be really annoying...

Imagine an entire med school of girls tho... dangerous. If you were one of the only guys there. You're like prey.

I see nothing wrong with this

also gonna be part of the first class at OUWB, feel free to message any questions. you guys will be blown away after you interview and start interacting with some of the staff. the schools ideas and the hospital system were some of the best that i have seen after going to a bunch of interviews. good luck!

the 60/40 in state to oos is also what I have heard but a lot of the oos people have connections to the state of MI in some way.

as far as an OU preference I only know of 4 students that went to Oakland for undergrad but the class isn't finalized yet either

also gonna be part of the first class at OUWB, feel free to message any questions. you guys will be blown away after you interview and start interacting with some of the staff. the schools ideas and the hospital system were some of the best that i have seen after going to a bunch of interviews. good luck!

the 60/40 in state to oos is also what I have heard but a lot of the oos people have connections to the state of MI in some way.

as far as an OU preference I only know of 4 students that went to Oakland for undergrad but the class isn't finalized yet either

hmm not good for me

4/50 isn't too bad though. I like those chances a lot actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to go to OU. I wonder how many University of Michigan students got in there.

Are most people completing both essay questions? I am really not sure what else to include that wasn't already mentioned elsewhere in my application...

I would love to go to OU. I wonder how many University of Michigan students got in there.

I feel like a pretty hefty number of Michigan students were accepted -- it looks like at least 20% of our current class graduated from Michigan.

Go blue!

Submitted. For the record, I just submitted a small something for essay 2. :luck: to all!

Just spoke with the admissions office as well, and I would like to echo a previous poster's sentiment that they are really nice people over there. The lady that answered was so helpful and nice to talk to; it made me want to go there more.

EDIT: Oh, and I am complete! :)

submitted today. crossing fingers. Hopefully they move things along rather quickly... I'm applying to a list of slow schools : /

Well I haven't gotten my secondary yet, but then I have a month before the MCAT. Hopefully the delay won't hurt too much. Is there anything on the secondary besides the essays and some basic info?

Well I haven't gotten my secondary yet, but then I have a month before the MCAT. Hopefully the delay won't hurt too much. Is there anything on the secondary besides the essays and some basic info?

I don't think so, IIRC. Essays are the most time consuming part. If you have those all pre-written, the rest will take you 5 minutes max.

I just realized i wrote the diversity essay instead of the "anything you want to add" that's optional b/c i looked on last yr's thread :( greaaaaaaat.

in the email, it says they want you to complete the supplemental ideally in 2 wks. i'm still waiting on 1 LOR and my committee letter. i'm really worried because it's now been 2 wks and i won't be complete (no point in really submitting my essay now w/o those letters). anyone know how harsh they are on rolling admissions?

also, do you think that they'd appreciate my essay on diversity in the optional essay part anyways? i mean, it does talk about my travels and my diverse background that i didn't really talk about in the PS of the primary. What about a description of my educational background? Or do you think that's really jsut a place to put extra/new grades or awards?

I recently submitted my secondary app, but I was wondering how long it takes for the online application status to change to complete? Mine still has the red exclamation points, even though my recs are in.

Bloops

Last edited:
submitted today. crossing fingers. Hopefully they move things along rather quickly... I'm applying to a list of slow schools : /

I wouldn't say they are a slow school, but I doubt any moves will be made any time soon. And by nothing anytime soon I am going to guess a minimum of 6 weeks before they start giving out interview invitations, but that is of course rumor from the hustle and bustle around campus.

oaklandguy, how serious do you think they take their suggested "two week" completion date? i didn't turn mine in after all b/c i'm still waiting on my letters :(

oaklandguy, how serious do you think they take their suggested "two week" completion date? i didn't turn mine in after all b/c i'm still waiting on my letters :(

Why not submit the secondary before your letters come in? It makes no difference.

I would still finish the secondary and just wait to assign them letters until I receive all of the ones I wanted to send. It doesn't hurt to be higher in the queue because I know they go on a first come first served basis.

The website says a minimum of 3 letters; is anyone sending >3 letters? It doesnt say what the maximum number are on the webiste...

The website says a minimum of 3 letters; is anyone sending >3 letters? It doesnt say what the maximum number are on the webiste...

Dean Grabowski said during the Applicant Visit Day that they will accept a maximum of 5 LORs -- any more than that and they decide which 5 they'll read.

Good luck!

you mean we can't tell them which 5 to read somewhere on the app? maybe i can call them and tell them?

also, can someone who lives there (oaklandguy) tell me some more about the diversity of the area? like what racial makeup? i heard that it's actually really affluent white ppl, some black ppl, but no asians or hispanics. is this true?

you mean we can't tell them which 5 to read somewhere on the app? maybe i can call them and tell them?

also, can someone who lives there (oaklandguy) tell me some more about the diversity of the area? like what racial makeup? i heard that it's actually really affluent white ppl, some black ppl, but no asians or hispanics. is this true?

If you send more than 5, you do not get the luxury of telling them which 5 to read because you sent too many. At 5, they'll read them all.

I personally sent 5 last year.

I'm asian and I'm not worried about any lack of diversity.

Last edited:

That is absolute nonsense. Oakland County is one of the most diverse areas in the entire United States. There are people of Asian and Hispanic origin at Oakland and many African American students! The campus is extremely diverse and the Library has a couple dedicated Chinese and Asian rooms (dedicated for books and materials, not for people lol they aren't racist). There are also extremely diverse areas around the school. It's a 10 minute drive to Pontiac which has a large population consisting of mainly Hispanic and African American peoples (and a poppin club scene). There are also tons of diverse restaurants in the area including an Indian restaurant, 2 Middle Eastern restaurants, 2 Thai restaurants, a Chinese restaurant, 2 Italian, etc all within 5 minutes driving of the campus.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I could honestly brag about OU for days.

That is absolute nonsense. Oakland County is one of the most diverse areas in the entire United States. There are people of Asian and Hispanic origin at Oakland. The campus is extremely diverse and the Library has a couple dedicated Chinese and Asian rooms (dedicated for books and materials, not for people lol they aren't racist). There are also extremely diverse areas around the school. It's a 10 minute drive to Pontiac has a large population consisting of mainly Hispanic and African American peoples (and a poppin club scene). There are also tons of diverse restaurants in the area including an Indian restaurant, 2 Middle Eastern restaurants, 2 Thai restaurants, a Chinese restaurant, 2 Italian, etc all within 5 minutes driving of the campus.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I could honestly brag about OU for days.

Truth. Love OU campus and area. However, I'm partial to Wayne State and midtown, but only cuz it's a family tradition. :)

ok, n/m situation resolved. i guess it's just never the same word count in word, text, AND apps...le sigh. and i'm very tired, that could be it. sorry to be annoying.

Wayne has owned Detroit and the suburbs for a long long time. I personally would rather be 1 of 50 than 1 of 300. Other than that it would be an extremely tough choice between the schools. It would definitely come down to interview day experience and finances.

I just got the OU secondary! However it says they haven't received my letters of recommendations...This is weird because I had assigned letters to them in AMCAS since I submitted it in early June. Has this happened to anyone?

I wonder when Central and Western will open up their medical schools and how it will affect the competition and statistics of the other in state medical schools.

I wonder when Central and Western will open up their medical schools and how it will affect the competition and statistics of the other in state medical schools.

Is that going down?? I haven't heard anything??

If anything it will probably decrease competition at other schools. Then again these new schools will be flooded with OOS applicants.

Wayne has owned Detroit and the suburbs for a long long time. I personally would rather be 1 of 50 than 1 of 300. Other than that it would be an extremely tough choice between the schools. It would definitely come down to interview day experience and finances.

A number of the inaugural class and others who decided to matriculate elsewhere had to decide between OUWB and Wayne -- lemme assure you, it isn't an easy choice to make... but when the time comes, our class will woo you over to OUWB, promise! ;)

Is that going down?? I haven't heard anything??

If anything it will probably decrease competition at other schools. Then again these new schools will be flooded with OOS applicants.

I was reading something on the two schools -- looks like both Western and Central are aiming open applications during the next cycle for the inaugural class to start in 2013.

And I'm a bit skeptical of how many OOS applicants they'll receive... I'm not sure if they'll be public/private, but especially if they end up being public, I don't think the application numbers will be too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.