2011-2012 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok ya thats what i decided it wasn't TOOO bad

Definitely rent a car. You will want one to be able to scope out the Rochester area as well because all of the amenities and luxuries of Rochester living are about a 3-5 minute drive from campus.

Members don't see this ad.

From their FAQ:

"Do you give preference to in-state applicants?
No, we will not give preference to in-state applicants."

Then, according to the updated class profile, 35 of the 50 students are from Michigan.

Being that there shouldn't be any difference between IS and OOS tuition, what gives???
...No one know about this school last year except applicants from Michigan lol?

Makes sense that nearly all applicants from Michigan will apply to a Michigan school. Chances are a Floridian or Texan etc. will not apply to a brand new school they knew nothing about.

Second, if students with multiple acceptance are faced with Oakland vs School X, it is much more likely the Michigan resident will choose Oakland (all else being equal).

From their FAQ:

"Do you give preference to in-state applicants?
No, we will not give preference to in-state applicants."

Then, according to the updated class profile, 35 of the 50 students are from Michigan.

Being that there shouldn't be any difference between IS and OOS tuition, what gives???
...No one know about this school last year except applicants from Michigan lol?

They told us on visit day that of those interviewed last year, 40% were MI residents, 60% OOS. When it came to acceptances from interviews, that was reversed. So the odds were different at each stage, but technically overall they had no advantage. It was regional selection by the accepted people like blizzah said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, that's what I figured.
Off topic: Did the inaugural class get any sort of tuition benefits?

There was supposed to be a 4th year scholarship for each student, but I believe they re-distributed the money in scholarships to other students and I personally know of at least 4 people who received very generous scholarships.

its painful sitting and waiting for a status update, I am OOS but my entire extended family resides in michigan.

I was complete on 8/4 and have checked pretty well every day hoping for something even though I realize there is about a month or so lapse .. just so tough to sit here and do nothing.

Interview invite today!!!!!! First one!! so excited!! complete around 7/15, so yea, I guess it takes around a month to hear back. Im thinking of interviewing on sept 16th, nothing set in stone. Maybe ill see some of you guys there!

There was supposed to be a 4th year scholarship for each student, but I believe they re-distributed the money in scholarships to other students and I personally know of at least 4 people who received very generous scholarships.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info. There is a scholarship set aside that will be awarded to one or two 4th year students based on the merit of their capstone project, which will fund the tuition of their entire 4th year. This is separate from other merit scholarships.

Interview invite today!!!!!! First one!! so excited!! complete around 7/15, so yea, I guess it takes around a month to hear back. Im thinking of interviewing on sept 16th, nothing set in stone. Maybe ill see some of you guys there!

well hopefully i can keep my mind off of it with the rest of my secondaries/summer school/work until September 4th-ish thanks for confirming the timeline!

I'm not sure where you're getting your info. There is a scholarship set aside that will be awarded to one or two 4th year students based on the merit of their capstone project, which will fund the tuition of their entire 4th year. This is separate from other merit scholarships.

Initially, I'm talking before interviews came out last year, students were told that every member of the inaugural class was going to receive a 4th year scholarship and then that statement was quickly rescinded and changed to a couple students. I get my information from a reliable source who works in the medical school.

That being said, I know students who received other merit scholarships.

Not that I'm deciding on a school based on money alone... but it'd be nice to graduate with no debt.

OUWB would be a hands down easy decision if I was offered a very generous scholarship.

I don't want to jump the gun since the ink is barely dry on my completed app here, but I'm getting a little unsure about the Capstone project. I mean, med students have a lot on their plates already . . . If Oakland is adding this enormous project (and granted I did see "class time" devoted to it on their course schedule) what are they taking out to make up for it?

I mean, obviously students can get publications, good experience, etc. out of it, but if I wanted to do a 4-year long project, wouldn't I be going for my PhD, or MD/PhD?

Any current students or Oakland visitors have insight here?

I don't want to jump the gun since the ink is barely dry on my completed app here, but I'm getting a little unsure about the Capstone project. I mean, med students have a lot on their plates already . . . If Oakland is adding this enormous project (and granted I did see "class time" devoted to it on their course schedule) what are they taking out to make up for it?

I mean, obviously students can get publications, good experience, etc. out of it, but if I wanted to do a 4-year long project, wouldn't I be going for my PhD, or MD/PhD?

Any current students or Oakland visitors have insight here?

Most people do research in medical school. However, the capstone project gives you DYNAMIC flexibility.

It's much easier to find a project when they're already laid out for you. Plus, when applying to residency in a competitive specialty for example... it's super nice to have research/pubs under your belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed.

I'm going to have a hunger for research while in med school, so it'll be nice that it's already on the menu (so I won't have to order it from scratch - a la' the schools without research integration).

A la carte research can be... expensive, time consuming and difficult to find.

Plus, I don't know any other programs that give you a scholarship for it... except for Case University program and MSTP programs.

interview invite received on August 13th

cgpa 3.70, 32R; submitted 6/27

they're still coming folks!

So I was submitted early July / late June and all I have is a bunch of green check-marks. No status (i.e. hold, rejection, interview). Is anyone else in my situation?

So I was submitted early July / late June and all I have is a bunch of green check-marks. No status (i.e. hold, rejection, interview). Is anyone else in my situation?
I think the only status update they put down is interview...i dont think they update u that u have been put on hold...not every school tells u that they have u on hold they just dont say anything until u are either rejected or given an interview...id keep on waiting....

I think the only status update they put down is interview...i dont think they update u that u have been put on hold...not every school tells u that they have u on hold they just dont say anything until u are either rejected or given an interview...id keep on waiting....

Based on the above posts, people have been placed on hold or rejected by Oakland.

I'm in your boat. All we can do is wait I suppose. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us :xf:.

I'm in your boat. All we can do is wait I suppose. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us :xf:.

I have that too. File complete 8/8 (yeah, I was late on this one).

I was thinking about emailing them to make sure everything's okay but I'll give it another week or two at least. Good luck everybody!

I'm pretty sure they are just looking at files in the order they received them. The most recent II on here was complete 7/15, so if you were complete after that I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing back yet.

As long as you haven't been rejected or put on hold, they probably just haven't gotten to your application.

I was done 7/19 so I should be hearing back pretty soon.

I have been complete based on the status site since 7/19, but still no news...

I was complete on 6/23, the first day it was released. I haven't heard anything yet either. So I don't know if they are going in order or not.

well, there goes that theory...either way I wouldn't worry too much at this point if you haven't heard anything because they are putting people on hold and giving out rejections and not hearing anything > rejection.

Am I missing something? I haven't seen any rejections yet- just holds and IIs.

I have that too. File complete 8/8 (yeah, I was late on this one).

I was thinking about emailing them to make sure everything's okay but I'll give it another week or two at least. Good luck everybody!

I'm 8/4. It appears to be about a 1 month delay before hearing anything at all is what I'm seeing.

So I got an email from Oakland with the secondary on 8/9, but that same day they sent me an email saying just kidding (because my mcat score wasn't in and they screen >24) They said I could still fill it out if I wanted to, but they just wanted to let me know it was an accidental email.

Just got my mcat today (yes, >24), do you think the informal two week rule applies to the day I got the whoopsie email? Or should I take a breather/work on other apps until they email me again?

Ahh, sorry, neurotic pre-med rambling...I'll be good, just gotta get it in :eek:

So I got an email from Oakland with the secondary on 8/9, but that same day they sent me an email saying just kidding (because my mcat score wasn't in and they screen >24) They said I could still fill it out if I wanted to, but they just wanted to let me know it was an accidental email.

Just got my mcat today (yes, >24), do you think the informal two week rule applies to the day I got the whoopsie email? Or should I take a breather/work on other apps until they email me again?

Ahh, sorry, neurotic pre-med rambling...I'll be good, just gotta get it in :eek:
Seriously, I don't think schools will care. Just submit it as soon as your essays are done. If something goes wrong, they'll notify you. Otherwise, you're good to go. Just forget about all trifles and just get started so you can submit :cool:

Seriously, I don't think schools will care. Just submit it as soon as your essays are done. If something goes wrong, they'll notify you. Otherwise, you're good to go. Just forget about all trifles and just get started so you can submit :cool:

This is what I wanted to hear :thumbup: thank you!

Submit secondary ASAP. Just cause. Good luck!

This school has been all over the news in the local area the past few days.

i have submitted everything already and received a confirmation email that they received my supplementary application.

But under the status page, I only have two green checkmarks and the letters of rec and complete app show up as not complete. Under the notes besides the letters of rec it shows that the letter has been received. The only thing I can think of is that it is a committee letter and maybe they think I'm missing 2 letters. But they told me that a committee letter will replace the 3 letter requirement.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Woot first interview invite-

GPA <3.4 (yeah bitches:)), MCAT >35 (probably had something to do with it...).

I'll be there in Sept. Here we go!

Woot first interview invite-

GPA <3.3 (yeah bitches:)), MCAT >35 (probably had something to do with it...).

I'll be there in Sept. Here we go!

When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.