2011-2012 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear guys...good luck, I'm sure you both will get in somewhere!

Interview invite this afternoon! Really stunned to get one here and being a re-app, I know what it's like to be on the other side, SteveJMarist and kautionwirez but I'm sure you guys will get opportunities elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck in the rest of your schools guys!

EDIT: from the Detroit airport!

Do you (or anyone) have any advice on what car rental company to use? Were you able to rent it directly from the airport?

ok ya thats what i decided it wasn't TOOO bad

EDIT: from the Detroit airport!

Do you (or anyone) have any advice on what car rental company to use? Were you able to rent it directly from the airport?

I booked my rental car from a rental agency a few miles away from the Detroit airport because it was MUCH cheaper. There are at least 2 Enterprises within 7 miles.

32 MCAT >3.5 GPA and a million EC hours? Not looking good for me...

I hear you, but luckily, that's not really how it works. In this upcoming cycle (and every cycle in the past) there will be plenty of people with 3.3 GPA and 30 MCAT who will get in to med school, and plenty of people with 3.9 GPA and 35 MCAT who will not. Yes, numbers will help you, but fortunately for people like me with marginal stats, the numbers are only a part of the equation.

I was looking at the OUWB website, and I noticed on their incoming class stats page, they had a category for total number of languages spoken by their incoming class (it was 10 - cool!). The adcoms would obviously like to raise that number. If I were there, I would raise their number by a few - it's little things like that that can make the difference. To those of you who didn't get a lucky roll of the dice on this one, keep at it. I'm a re-app. If you want this bad enough, you'll have it.

Does anyone know if there are research opportunities present? I know there's the capstone project, but how hands on can students be in research? Is it wet lab stuff or would students be able to do clinical research with patients? Is there possibly a link with current research programs (fields of medicine)? Thank you so much!!

Does anyone know if there are research opportunities present? I know there's the capstone project, but how hands on can students be in research? Is it wet lab stuff or would students be able to do clinical research with patients? Is there possibly a link with current research programs (fields of medicine)? Thank you so much!!

This would be a better question to ask on an interview day.

I hear you, but luckily, that's not really how it works. In this upcoming cycle (and every cycle in the past) there will be plenty of people with 3.3 GPA and 30 MCAT who will get in to med school, and plenty of people with 3.9 GPA and 35 MCAT who will not. Yes, numbers will help you, but fortunately for people like me with marginal stats, the numbers are only a part of the equation.

I was looking at the OUWB website, and I noticed on their incoming class stats page, they had a category for total number of languages spoken by their incoming class (it was 10 - cool!). The adcoms would obviously like to raise that number. If I were there, I would raise their number by a few - it's little things like that that can make the difference. To those of you who didn't get a lucky roll of the dice on this one, keep at it. I'm a re-app. If you want this bad enough, you'll have it.

This is VERY true. Numbers do only get you so far. I don't care what anyone says. You can have the stats, but if you can only talk the talk... and not walk the walk at the interview and in your essays/LORs... then it's goodbye broadway.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is VERY true. Numbers do only get you so far. I don't care what anyone says. You can have the stats, but if you can only talk the talk... and not walk the walk at the interview and in your essays/LORs... then it's goodbye broadway.
:thumbup: Well phrased Blu

I was complete 7/19 too! I'd guess that means that I should be hearing something soon!

There are research opportunities.

I guess I'll try this one: so with Capstone, you can make it whatever you want. If you're into bench top research, cool, you can find a project either with a Beaumont research group or an Oakland University one. If you're into clinical research, cool, Beaumont has a ton of that. If you want to work with the underserved, you can do that. If you want to do a global health project, go for it. Really into medical informatics? Great, see what you can do about EMR! Medical education? Yes. You name it, you probably can do something in it.

Really, it's up to you -- in the end, OUWB is there to guide you to a fitting Capstone project that you're passionate about and guiding you toward pathway to success.

I guess I'll try this one: so with Capstone, you can make it whatever you want. If you're into bench top research, cool, you can find a project either with a Beaumont research group or an Oakland University one. If you're into clinical research, cool, Beaumont has a ton of that. If you want to work with the underserved, you can do that. If you want to do a global health project, go for it. Really into medical informatics? Great, see what you can do about EMR! Medical education? Yes. You name it, you probably can do something in it.

Really, it's up to you -- in the end, OUWB is there to guide you to a fitting Capstone project that you're passionate about and guiding you toward pathway to success.

This is basically my secondary.

Wow that sounds really amazing the Capstone project-- hearing that definitely pumps me up for when I come there next month to interview!

That sounds amazing, thanks for the info!!

Okay so I got the confirmation on my secondary late June and I've heard nothing since then. I check my email and status at least a billion times a day. Im starting to think maybe that invitation invite is not coming....too bad I really like oakland:shrug:

Okay so I got the confirmation on my secondary late June and I've heard nothing since then. I check my email and status at least a billion times a day. Im starting to think maybe that invitation invite is not coming....too bad I really like oakland:shrug:
They do send "hold" status, so if you haven't heard anything, it means you're still in running. I completed 7/18 and haven't heard anything too even though some ppl from my date received invites. Keep your hopes up :luck:

They do send "hold" status, so if you haven't heard anything, it means you're still in running. I completed 7/18 and haven't heard anything too even though some ppl from my date received invites. Keep your hopes up :luck:
people from last yr said that nobody who was put on hold was given interviews (at least from the people who are on SDN) and I think a few people this year got put on hold and rejected like a week or 2 later...

Just kidding, fixed my computer issues, yay. Submitted!

Last edited:
Still complete silence from Oakland and I submitted on 6/29. I'm wondering if I somehow fell through the cracks...

My take is that Oakland is inviting people with mid-range stats perhaps thinking of them as "best fit" for their program and higher likelyhood of matriculating.

I doubt that's what they're doing... they actually look at the whole applicant.

Not trying to be arrogant. Are you telling me that top tier schools don't look at the "whole thing" and only look at partial things?

I doubt that's what they're doing... they actually look at the whole applicant.

I agree they are, of course, looking at the whole applicant. However, I think it's also possible that they are looking for upper-mid-range applicants (not that I have any evidence of this). Plenty of newer schools or "lower tier" schools, if there even is such a thing, will screen out the superstars because they know they won't go there, and they want to protect their %matriculated stats.

Again, I only have anecdotal evidence, but my gf was one such "superstar" applicant this past cycle - she got like 11 interview offers and then stopped taking them. But some of the schools that didn't give her interviews were the "lower tier" ones - and then she would get interviews from Ivies and top 10s etc. It's a crazy system, but you know, nobody wants to be picked last.

Not trying to be arrogant. Are you telling me that top tier schools don't look at the "whole thing" and only look at partial things?

Explain auto invites for interview PRE-SECONDARY from University of Michigan. (High MCAT, good GPA, and what school you're coming from....)

Top schools are stats hungry. Because of my 37 MCAT they sent me a thing saying apply here. But with my GPA I don't stand a chance in hell there.

See what I mean? Med school is partly a numbers game. Once you get passed the numbers game, it's all about who you are as an applicant.

Oakland seems to be looking for a few things in terms of numbers and then moving onward to look for applicants with life experience, not dissimilar to how Northwestern likes you to have traveled abroad or play an instrument.

I agree they are, of course, looking at the whole applicant. However, I think it's also possible that they are looking for upper-mid-range applicants (not that I have any evidence of this). Plenty of newer schools or "lower tier" schools, if there even is such a thing, will screen out the superstars because they know they won't go there, and they want to protect their %matriculated stats.

Again, I only have anecdotal evidence, but my gf was one such "superstar" applicant this past cycle - she got like 11 interview offers and then stopped taking them. But some of the schools that didn't give her interviews were the "lower tier" ones - and then she would get interviews from Ivies and top 10s etc. It's a crazy system, but you know, nobody wants to be picked last.

Unfortunately, most people apply to med schools that are "lower tier" as a back up... and yet how many people get rejected from Tulane this year? This is med school, THERE ARE NO BACK UPS! An MD at a US allopathic school is an MD at any other US allopathic school. They aren't learning different anatomy at harvard compared to kids at Georgetown.

Explain auto invites for interview PRE-SECONDARY from University of Michigan. (High MCAT, good GPA, and what school you're coming from....)

Top schools are stats hungry. Because of my 37 MCAT they sent me a thing saying apply here. But with my GPA I don't stand a chance in hell there.

See what I mean? Med school is partly a numbers game. Once you get passed the numbers game, it's all about who you are as an applicant.

Oakland seems to be looking for a few things in terms of numbers and then moving onward to look for applicants with life experience, not dissimilar to how Northwestern likes you to have traveled abroad or play an instrument.

Dude - I have to know - what is your GPA? Cause apparently you and I are in the same boat. (I'm guessing your boat is a little better than mine overall lol). I'm >35, <3.2, with a grad GPA >3.7. It's a s***ty boat to be in right?:laugh:

Dude - I have to know - what is your GPA? Cause apparently you and I are in the same boat. (I'm guessing your boat is a little better than mine overall lol). I'm >35, <3.2, with a grad GPA >3.7. It's a s***ty boat to be in right?:laugh:

Click my MDapps profile on the side...

yeah it sucks to be in this boat... my last two years of undergrad were 4.0... I had a bad sophomore year due to some personal health shizznit.

Hey everyone! I'm going a day early and was wondering if you guys had any advice on cool places to see in either Detroit or Rochester?

First Interview Invite! The email came at 10:45 last night... Complete 7/24. IS. Interviewing on October 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.