2011-2012 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm so sad!! i want to get in. did anyone hear back today? any idea if he calls students on tues/tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't they supposed to post interview decisions today?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an Oct 19 interviewee, and got the email that acceptances from that date would be going out on Oct 26. No call for me then, and on Oct 27 my status was updated to deferred. I didn't expect any movement on this for a while, if at all.

However, on Nov 9 I got the call from Dr. Capers that I was accepted! :woot:

I guess that there is more hope from a deferred status than I thought...

(I know, I'm a little late posting this...)

Oh wow congrat!!! I am in the defered list so this gives me hope. :)Did you send in update letter or letter of interest after you got defered? I am just wondering if those had some effect on the decision?

anyone have a status changes from the 10/24 10/26 or 10/31 interview days that were not accepted yet?

Oh wow congrat!!! I am in the defered list so this gives me hope. :)Did you send in update letter or letter of interest after you got defered? I am just wondering if those had some effect on the decision?

I have no idea if they affect the decision. I was planning on sending one once I had some substantial things to update them on, but hadn't done so yet.

I have to wonder if maybe some piece of my application wasn't there (like an interview writeup or something) when they first met, and they had to update my status with something since they said they would. Or maybe they just looked at my file again or something. Who knows?

Deferred status showed up today.

Would it be out of line to email my interviewers and ask them what I could/should improve on my application? I was deferred and I'm planning to send updates, but I want to make sure I'm not focusing my time and energy on things that won't help my chances of going from "deferred" to "accepted."

I figure the people that interview you are the most familiar with your application and could give the best input, but I'm not sure if it's acceptable to contact them and ask for this information.

Would it be out of line to email my interviewers and ask them what I could/should improve on my application? I was deferred and I'm planning to send updates, but I want to make sure I'm not focusing my time and energy on things that won't help my chances of going from "deferred" to "accepted."

I figure the people that interview you are the most familiar with your application and could give the best input, but I'm not sure if it's acceptable to contact them and ask for this information.

I think a better route would be to e-mail Admissions, and ask them if there is any feedback available on what you can improve to help your chances of getting accepted as you are very much interested in Ohio State and it is your first choice. Something along those lines would be good.

My only concern with e-mailing the interviewers directly is they may have given you a good recommendation, but it could be the admissions committee had other concerns. If Admissions says your interview didn't go well, then contact the interviewers. If the interview went well but there are other red flags you were not aware of, then try to see if you can fix those before the end of the cycle. :luck:

Any idea when the next interview group is supposed to hear regarding their status?

Members don't see this ad :)

If I remember correctly, OSU has blind file policy, so the interviewers would not have seen your complete file (ie MCAT, GPA etc)

If I remember correctly, OSU has blind file policy, so the interviewers would not have seen your complete file (ie MCAT, GPA etc)

Yes they do, the only way they would know is if they were part of the adcom also.

I think a better route would be to e-mail Admissions, and ask them if there is any feedback available on what you can improve to help your chances of getting accepted as you are very much interested in Ohio State and it is your first choice. Something along those lines would be good.

My only concern with e-mailing the interviewers directly is they may have given you a good recommendation, but it could be the admissions committee had other concerns. If Admissions says your interview didn't go well, then contact the interviewers. If the interview went well but there are other red flags you were not aware of, then try to see if you can fix those before the end of the cycle. :luck:

To my understanding, no one will tell you what you need to do to get in. They will simply say, send any updates or significant achievements since the interview. Someone who got admitted from deferred few days ago didnt even send an update.

Yes they do, the only way they would know is if they were part of the adcom also.

Also you will not be notified of why you did not get in until after the cycle is over, this way the school makes sure they aren't leaking out what they are looking for so applicants can cheat the system. Also, remember, deferred does not mean rejected, in fact many med 1s from last year were deferred. Good luck!

Does Ohio State have student hosting available? If not, does anybody who is interviewing on 12/14 want to split a hotel for 12/13? :luck:

Does Ohio State have student hosting available? If not, does anybody who is interviewing on 12/14 want to split a hotel for 12/13? :luck:

I live by the medical center and would be willing to host you if you'd like. My roommates will be gone by then so I'm looking for company :p They're grad students so they get a winter break, but I'll be working :( PM me if you'd like.

I live by the medical center and would be willing to host you if you'd like. My roommates will be gone by then so I'm looking for company :p They're grad students so they get a winter break, but I'll be working :( PM me if you'd like.

how easy is it to find housing close to school come June/July?

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, but does anyone know if they prefer emailed or mailed updates? I thought I read somewhere that they prefer email, but I can't find that anywhere now. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The faculty interviewer had access to my GPA and MCAT last year so I don't think it's blind. The student interview is though I think, at least from my experience

The faculty interviewer had access to my GPA and MCAT last year so I don't think it's blind. The student interview is though I think, at least from my experience

they are blind. neither my faculty or medical student interviewer had access to my GPA or MCAT. I emailed the admissions office asking for feedback. They said they're not allowed to give any feedback until the cycle is over, so that's that.

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, but does anyone know if they prefer emailed or mailed updates? I thought I read somewhere that they prefer email, but I can't find that anywhere now. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Admissions office told me to email

They told us that this was the first year they are doing completely blind for the interviewers.

They told us that this was the first year they are doing completely blind for the interviewers.

Mine was not completely blind. My faculty interviewer had everything but my numbers, and the student had a few of my activities.

Mine was not completely blind. My faculty interviewer had everything but my numbers, and the student had a few of my activities.

Sorry, I meant blind to numbers, not completely blind.

ya they are blind to numbers...who are the med 1's on this board?

how easy is it to find housing close to school come June/July?

My friends who go to OSU here for grad schools say people start looking for housing EARLY, e.g. some start in January. My friends and I are from Seattle where people don't really start looking til Spring quarter...so they didn't find a ton of choices left last year and the year before that. They relied mostly on Craigslist. They started about two months or so earlier last year compared to the year before and found a much nicer place (especially since it's so close to the health professional schools).

My friends who go to OSU here for grad schools say people start looking for housing EARLY, e.g. some start in January. My friends and I are from Seattle where people don't really start looking til Spring quarter...so they didn't find a ton of choices left last year and the year before that. They relied mostly on Craigslist. .

Yeah, housing here is weird. If you want to live near campus, the best places open up around January and are gone by late February. If you would be ok living in Hilliard, Clintonville, Grove City or somewhere farther away then it doesn't really matter.

Craiglists is a good resource. I've found places by walking around off campus and writing done phone numbers on "for-rent signs" (which stay up all the time at some apartments, if they have units or not open....) and the off-campus student services site has a great apartment list.

Actually, I have been wondering how leases and stuff are going to work out for this upcoming year. This will be the whole university's switch to semesters, so for the first time undergrads are coming in mid-August instead of mid-September (It doesn't effect the medical school, we always start the first week of august.) So leases might be weird this first year of semesters, who knows?

Yeah, housing here is weird. If you want to live near campus, the best places open up around January and are gone by late February. If you would be ok living in Hilliard, Clintonville, Grove City or somewhere farther away then it doesn't really matter.

Craiglists is a good resource. I've found places by walking around off campus and writing done phone numbers on "for-rent signs" (which stay up all the time at some apartments, if they have units or not open....) and the off-campus student services site has a great apartment list.

Actually, I have been wondering how leases and stuff are going to work out for this upcoming year. This will be the whole university's switch to semesters, so for the first time undergrads are coming in mid-August instead of mid-September (It doesn't effect the medical school, we always start the first week of august.) So leases might be weird this first year of semesters, who knows?

yikes, sounds crazy, i'm not too familiar with the area. I was just wondering kuz, I'm on the waitlist at my top school, and I'd hate to get locked into a lease and hear back from that school you know?

Interviewed on November 16. Here's a little summary for those who have yet to interview and don't know what to expect.

Arrive at Meiling Hall by 9:45. If possible, have someone drop you off because the only parking was ~$10 for the whole day. Once you go in the building, you don't have to worry about getting lost. There's a big sign in the back of the lobby that will direct your path. DON'T forget your wallet sized photo!! But even if you do, like me, they give you an envelope to send one in.

Once they come to get you, they take you to a conference room which will be your "home base" for the whole day. You watch a video, listen to a powerpoint lecture, and have speakers on what to expect for the rest of the day, the new curriculum, financial aid, and a current med student's experiences. Then you have lunch with students (try the cranberry pita wrap!). This all occurs in the same room so don't worry about moving a lot.

After this comes a tour.

Finally, there are two interviews. In both interviews, they have access to your entire application expect your grades and your MCAT. If you want to discuss something about your grades/MCAT, you can. The first interview is with a faculty member. It was very intimate and chill. I loved my interviewer! The second interview is with a student, just to see if they think you would like OSU.

Then you're done. No problem!
I'm sad since I seemed like the only SDN-er on my interview date :(
Good Luck to all!! :luck:

Last edited:
so searching for housing in June would be pretty tough?

Interesting, my interviewer last year certainly had my MCAT score because we discussed it specifically....maybe things changed since last year

Does anybody know whether OSU this year will slightly favor people with higher MCATs/GPA than in previous years due to their recent drop in research ranking from #27 to #38? Are they aiming for better candidates number-wise in order to boost their ranking?

Should I consider myself done here? Secondary was complete at the end of August and I have yet to hear anything. 35 MCAT, GPA around a 3.80. lots of research, decent clinical experience. Out of state.

Does anybody know whether OSU this year will slightly favor people with higher MCATs/GPA than in previous years due to their recent drop in research ranking from #27 to #38? Are they aiming for better candidates number-wise in order to boost their ranking?
Pretty sure rankings are based on research funding only. Class profile also plays a role?

yeah MCAT and GPA play a decent role in the rankings. According to USNews:

Mean MCAT Score (.13 in the research medical school model, .0975 in the primary-care medical school model) The mean composite Medical College Admission Test score of the 2010 entering class.

Mean Undergraduate GPA (.06 in the research medical school model, .045 in the primary-care medical school model) The mean undergraduate grade-point average of the 2010 entering class.

Acceptance Rate (.01 in the research medical school model, .0075 in the primary-care medical school model) The proportion of applicants to the 2010 entering class who were offered admission.

Mean MCAT Score (.13 in the research medical school model, .0975 in the primary-care medical school model) The mean composite Medical College Admission Test score of the 2010 entering class.

Mean Undergraduate GPA (.06 in the research medical school model, .045 in the primary-care medical school model) The mean undergraduate grade-point average of the 2010 entering class.

Acceptance Rate (.01 in the research medical school model, .0075 in the primary-care medical school model) The proportion of applicants to the 2010 entering class who were offered admission.

Wow. +1 to your question then.

As every medical school does, they try to pick students who have the highest MCAT/GPA/Best EC's/Best fit for the school. I would say having a high MCAT and GPA helps you just as it has everyone one else with high stats every year.

Should I consider myself done here? Secondary was complete at the end of August and I have yet to hear anything. 35 MCAT, GPA around a 3.80. lots of research, decent clinical experience. Out of state.
Don't consider yourself done yet. There is still hope. :)

Pretty sure rankings are based on research funding only. Class profile also plays a role?
Class profile along with residency PD's evaluations do count.

Mean MCAT Score ...

I just want to say that the ranking does include MCAT scores and GPA. Just to be clear, however, OSU's drop in rankings was not caused by a drop in matriculant GPAs and MCATs and any other metric concerned with medical students or medical education. The drop concerned a change in the metric for research funding. I believe it was a change from sheer amount of award money to a metric that took in money received per faculty member. Could be wrong, but either way, the drop was not caused by a drop in medical student quality or a quality in education. It purely had to do with research funding in the COM.

I just want to say that the ranking does include MCAT scores and GPA. Just to be clear, however, OSU's drop in rankings was not caused by a drop in matriculant GPAs and MCATs and any other metric concerned with medical students or medical education. The drop concerned a change in the metric for research funding. I believe it was a change from sheer amount of award money to a metric that took in money received per faculty member. Could be wrong, but either way, the drop was not caused by a drop in medical student quality or a quality in education. It purely had to do with research funding in the COM.

:thumbup: yep

as to you guys' question about accepting higher ranked students, they accept higher ranked students each year (if you look at the MCAT and GPA overall average of the last 10 years, there's an upward trend), bc OSU is trying to increase their ranking and prestige yearly as every other school desires to. That is actually good for the school, meaning we care to make ourselves well established for in the future when you apply to residencies.

MirrorLakeJump.jpg

Mirror Lake jump was last night. Say hello to one of the best unofficial traditions in college sports! You'll have plenty of time for this kind of stuff, btw. :)

i interviewed here a few weeks ago, and think it's a great school!

pros: curriculum, people seem nice, clinical sites, rep

cons: if you fail more than 3 exams, you're out. i'm verrrry hesitant about this.

regardless, i look forward to hearing back.

i interviewed here a few weeks ago, and think it's a great school!

pros: curriculum, people seem nice, clinical sites, rep

cons: if you fail more than 3 exams, you're out. i'm verrrry hesitant about this.

regardless, i look forward to hearing back.

The chances of this happening is 0. They will warn you and tell you to have a leave of absence (a few students did this last year) after you failed your 2nd test, then you just repeat the part of 1st year you failed and hopefully by then you won't fail anymore. Really the goal of medical school is to succeed, you shouldn't worry about failing as much as learning a study strategy that works for you.

The chances of this happening is 0. They will warn you and tell you to have a leave of absence (a few students did this last year) after you failed your 2nd test, then you just repeat the part of 1st year you failed and hopefully by then you won't fail anymore. Really the goal of medical school is to succeed, you shouldn't worry about failing as much as learning a study strategy that works for you.

i completely get what you're saying, but i dont like that level of stress (i.e. will this exam be the one that finishes me? :laugh:)--especially compared to other schools where you have to fail entire courses and then some to be required a year off or repeat. i won't let this one factor decide between schools, but it is certainly a consideration that i thought would be valuable for applicants on here to see.

i completely get what you're saying, but i dont like that level of stress (i.e. will this exam be the one that finishes me? :laugh:)--especially compared to other schools where you have to fail entire courses and then some to be required a year off or repeat. i won't let this one factor decide between schools, but it is certainly a consideration that i thought would be valuable for applicants on here to see.

There s really no pressure once you gauge how the first few tests go, it's fairly hard to fail a test (let alone 3), if you did then you really didn't get the material, and we have lots of people whose jobs is to help you get better at studying. You have to trust that if we accepted you, then we think you will succeed and work hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.