2011-2012 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There s really no pressure once you gauge how the first few tests go, it's fairly hard to fail a test (let alone 3), if you did then you really didn't get the material, and we have lots of people whose jobs is to help you get better at studying. You have to trust that if we accepted you, then we think you will succeed and work hard.

thanks for the insider's perspective! i'll probably send you a PM a few months down the line once i have a firm sense of final outcomes at schools.

Members don't see this ad.

hey does anyone know whether your application status is supposed to change once you go in for your interview? I completed my interview last week but on my application page it still says "Interview Invitation" as my current status.

i completely get what you're saying, but i dont like that level of stress (i.e. will this exam be the one that finishes me? :laugh:)--

Well, medicine is stressful. Like in real life, you don't get multiple chances to do things right. At least everything is pass/fail. I can't even imagine going to a school that wasn't pass/fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, medicine is stressful. Like in real life, you don't get multiple chances to do things right. At least everything is pass/fail. I can't even imagine going to a school that wasn't pass/fail.

Ohio State is pass/fail? Our second years said it was honors/high pass.... And that people who get honors get an additional $5,000 scholarship the next year. Not true?

How the heck do you set up the OSU email? What's the student.# business?

Ohio State is pass/fail? Our second years said it was honors/high pass.... And that people who get honors get an additional $5,000 scholarship the next year. Not true?

Honors/Letters/Pass/Fail
top 10%/top25%/rest

Woo, interview invite for 2/1! Just saw it when I checked my status this morning :)

Been looking around online, however I have seen nothing concerning how Ohio State weighs multiple MCATs. Does anyone know?

Woo, interview invite for 2/1! Just saw it when I checked my status this morning :)

Congratulations!! You're going to have a great time :)

Been looking around online, however I have seen nothing concerning how Ohio State weighs multiple MCATs. Does anyone know?

I took the MCAT twice, but my OSU profile page only lists my highest score. I don't know for sure that they only consider your best testing, but it made me feel good to only see the one. Good luck!

I just want to say that the ranking does include MCAT scores and GPA. Just to be clear, however, OSU's drop in rankings was not caused by a drop in matriculant GPAs and MCATs and any other metric concerned with medical students or medical education. The drop concerned a change in the metric for research funding. I believe it was a change from sheer amount of award money to a metric that took in money received per faculty member. Could be wrong, but either way, the drop was not caused by a drop in medical student quality or a quality in education. It purely had to do with research funding in the COM.

I hate to nitpick, but this isn't entirely true. At second look this year, the dean said that a very slight drop in matriculant GPA (0.02) resulted in OSU losing a point in USNWR's ranking criteria.. pretty ridiculous that such a small change can result in a point deduction, but it did happen and played a part in the rankings.

Still, you're right about research being the main cause of the ranking drop. USNWR moved from a system rewarding total research dollars per school to a system of rewarding research dollars per faculty member, which favors schools like standford and penalizes schools like OSU and UC Denver.

When is the next time ohio state is accepting people? This wednesday?

For those who interviewed on Nov 14th - anyone have any idea when calls/decisions are supposed to be released tomorrow? Or for people who already heard back ... when did your status change? I'm hoping for good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who interviewed on Nov 14th - anyone have any idea when calls/decisions are supposed to be released tomorrow? Or for people who already heard back ... when did your status change? I'm hoping for good news!

Calls are usually made from 7-11pm and statuses are changed the next morning

My status still says "Interview Invitation" even though it's been more than a week since I've interviewed there. Is there suppose to be a chance in the online status to "interview Completed" or is something wrong with the processing of my application? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

My status still says "Interview Invitation" even though it's been more than a week since I've interviewed there. Is there suppose to be a chance in the online status to "interview Completed" or is something wrong with the processing of my application? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

mine says interview completed. interviewed on 11/9.

Interview Invite today! Scheduled for Feb. 1st. Since I was complete for almost 3 months there now I just figured it was a silent rejection, and then when I saw the email that I had a status change I thought for sure it was the rejection. BUT NO!

February is kind of late, is OSU rolling or non-rolling, or do you think there is much/any disadvantage interviewing this late?

OOS
3.55/36S

Interview Invite today! Scheduled for Feb. 1st. Since I was complete for almost 3 months there now I just figured it was a silent rejection, and then when I saw the email that I had a status change I thought for sure it was the rejection. BUT NO!

February is kind of late, is OSU rolling or non-rolling, or do you think there is much/any disadvantage interviewing this late?

OOS
3.55/36S

Rolling, it's a bit late but not bad at all. I'd check in periodically to see if they have spots earlier.

mine says interview completed. interviewed on 11/9.

My status also gives a link saying interview completed. When I clicked on it, I got a form letter that said:

"We hope you enjoyed your interview day experience. You will be able to view your admission decision from your status page in about ten business days from the date of your interview. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the College of Medicine Admissions Office at 614-292-7137 or by e-mail at [email protected]."

interviewed around the same time as karma yogi. :luck::xf:

My status also gives a link saying interview completed. When I clicked on it, I got a form letter that said:

"We hope you enjoyed your interview day experience. You will be able to view your admission decision from your status page in about ten business days from the date of your interview. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the College of Medicine Admissions Office at 614-292-7137 or by e-mail at [email protected]."

interviewed around the same time as karma yogi. :luck::xf:
Did you get a decision from the admissions committee yet from the Nov 9th interview?

Did you get a decision from the admissions committee yet from the Nov 9th interview?

Posted on their twitter:

"If you interviewed on November 2, 7, 9, 14, 16 or 21 you will receive an admission decision by Friday, December 2, 2011."

is it too late to apply? urban meyer coming to ohio state makes it my #1 :laugh: :rolleyes:

is it too late to apply? urban meyer coming to ohio state makes it my #1 :laugh: :rolleyes:
ncf_u_meyer_gb1_300.jpg

I'd give that guy a high five, ohhh yeeaahhhhh.

Late application to this school complete Sept 6th. Are they reviewing September application now?

Late application to this school complete Sept 6th. Are they reviewing September application now?

I am complete since 8/31 too..nothing from them, IS here (it doesnt matter IS or OOS)

I just got an interview invite for Feb 1st, but I already had another interview scheduled for that date. Is it bad that I need to reschedule it??

I'm a re-applicant who interviewed in late october and was placed on the "decision deffered" status. I have several questions I was hoping someone could help me answer. OSUCOM is my top choice school and I'd really appreciate any advice others (esp current med students) could confer.

1. A current medical student there informed that the "decision deffered" normally status reflects a decision to waitlist or reject an applicant-- is that true? If not, what are the chances of being accepted after being placed on this status? And when do these "decision deferred" statuses come up for review.

2. I have yet to take the new Anatomy pre-req as I graduated several years ago. I work full-time so in order to take this class, I'd have to quit my job and enroll as a non-degree student with a hefty bill in order to make time to take anatomy with lab (I don't want to take the online versions as I think they'll prepare me poorly). I'm willing to do so if it'll increase my chances of being accepted to the school, but the admissions office was ambigous in telling me if additional classes would increase my chance of acceptance. Furthermore, I wouldn't get my scores til late spring and that might be too late. Is it worth the risk? Any advice on this?

I'd really appreciate any advice/suggestions you could send my way!

I just got an interview invite for Feb 1st, but I already had another interview scheduled for that date. Is it bad that I need to reschedule it??

Is Feb 1st the earliest available now?

Edit: Any current student can tell me the first day of school in Ohio? I am trying to figure out if I can squeeze in the Anatomy class in the summer before school starts if accepted. Thanks.

Last edited:
2. I have yet to take the new Anatomy pre-req as I graduated several years ago. I work full-time so in order to take this class, I'd have to quit my job and enroll as a non-degree student with a hefty bill in order to make time to take anatomy with lab (I don't want to take the online versions as I think they'll prepare me poorly). I'm willing to do so if it'll increase my chances of being accepted to the school, but the admissions office was ambigous in telling me if additional classes would increase my chance of acceptance. Furthermore, I wouldn't get my scores til late spring and that might be too late. Is it worth the risk? Any advice on this?

I'd really appreciate any advice/suggestions you could send my way!

You might want to make a new thread for this in the general pre-allo forum, might get more answers. Do you have any acceptances anywhere else?

You might want to make a new thread for this in the general pre-allo forum, might get more answers. Do you have any acceptances anywhere else?

medschhopeful raised an interesting point. Since OSU implemented the anatomy requirements this cycle, does this mean students who fulfilled them have a better shot of getting in than they would have in previous cycles? I'm curious to know how many applicants whose candidacy has been withdrawn due to the anatomy prerequisites...that would suck immensely.

medschhopeful raised an interesting point. Since OSU implemented the anatomy requirements this cycle, does this mean students who fulfilled them have a better shot of getting in than they would have in previous cycles? I'm curious to know how many applicants whose candidacy has been withdrawn due to the anatomy prerequisites...that would suck immensely.

Since they just started requiring it for this year, i don't yet think it has had an impact. They only require it prior to matriculation, and it doesn't sound like it has to be that intensive. Just get it done before you go!

I haven't taken anatomy and interviewed, so I don't think they are using that as a means to weed people out. (i haven't been accepted yet either, but i did get that "FYI we have an anatomy requirement email)

Anatomy is fun to take in undergrad, will it help immensely for med school? I would say no, but it does help you organize how anatomy is taught and you would have an advantage in terms of study strategy. However, since this is a requirement, I would say that you have to take it, why is there even a decision of whether or not to take it :confused: . I am not sure how helpful this will be either bc of how different undergraduate anatomy is taught among the schools (lots of places don't even have cadaver labs).

Since they just started requiring it for this year, i don't yet think it has had an impact. They only require it prior to matriculation, and it doesn't sound like it has to be that intensive. Just get it done before you go!

I haven't taken anatomy and interviewed, so I don't think they are using that as a means to weed people out. (i haven't been accepted yet either, but i did get that "FYI we have an anatomy requirement email)

A little over a week after I interviewed, I got an e-mail from the adcom saying a bunch of courses I took collectively met the anatomy prerequisite and to keep a copy of said email for my records.

Initially thought it was an acceptance email :rolleyes: but in all seriousness, I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction. :luck::xf:

I submitted my secondary on 10/8 and received an interview invite on 10/14, so I'm pretty sure they review applications relatively quickly

Anatomy is fun to take in undergrad, will it help immensely for med school? I would say no, but it does help you organize how anatomy is taught and you would have an advantage in terms of study strategy.
I dunno, it helped me a ton, but I am guessing the "hard" undergrad anatomy offered at OSU is one of the harder and comprehensive ones available in the nation. I also had some of the same TA's from undergrad as in medical school and everything was done on prosections, so maybe my experience isn't like the vast majority?

Your mileage may vary. :shrug:

So I completed my application to OSU around 10/6, and received an interview invite for 11/16. So I'm assuming they have already reviewed September applications. Don't give up hope though. You'll be fine, I'm sure. ;)

A whole slew of decisions are supposedly released this week for interviewees (ones from 11/2 until 11/21) but it's awfully quiet here. o_O Anybody get any news?

A whole slew of decisions are supposedly released this week for interviewees (ones from 11/2 until 11/21) but it's awfully quiet here. o_O Anybody get any news?

Acceptance calls go out tonight beginning at 7pm est

Acceptance calls go out tonight beginning at 7pm est

Do you know if that is for all the interview days they mentioned in their message? The message said that everyone would know by December 2nd so I was under the impression that calls would be tomorrow?

Do you know if that is for all the interview days they mentioned in their message? The message said that everyone would know by December 2nd so I was under the impression that calls would be tomorrow?

well i dont know for sure, but it is my understanding that dean capers makes ACCEPTANCE calls tonight. You will know the status (online) by friday- ie hold or reject.

Last edited:
Did anyone receive an acceptance call? Or are they even calling tonight? I remember Dean Capers saying that he would call within 2 weeks, but ive also heard conflicting info on this thread that they dont call on deliberation meeting days (mon/wednesday)

Did anyone receive an acceptance call? Or are they even calling tonight? I remember Dean Capers saying that he would call within 2 weeks, but ive also heard conflicting info on this thread that they dont call on deliberation meeting days (mon/wednesday)

all quiet on the western front...

Status
Not open for further replies.