Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

2011-2012 Ohio State Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2014)' started by Sammich117, 05.22.11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. premed67783

premed67783

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    they are blind. neither my faculty or medical student interviewer had access to my GPA or MCAT. I emailed the admissions office asking for feedback. They said they're not allowed to give any feedback until the cycle is over, so that's that.
  2. SBAKSHI

SBAKSHI

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hmm, i m not sure. i can provide u with a few Realtors' numbers and u can go from there. let me know!
  3. vb1

vb1

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Admissions office told me to email
  4. equinsu ocha

equinsu ocha

Pre-Medical
    They told us that this was the first year they are doing completely blind for the interviewers.
  5. BSU

BSU

Pre-Medical
    Mine was not completely blind. My faculty interviewer had everything but my numbers, and the student had a few of my activities.
  6. equinsu ocha

equinsu ocha

Pre-Medical
    Sorry, I meant blind to numbers, not completely blind.
  7. osumc2014

osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    ya they are blind to numbers...who are the med 1's on this board?
  8. who8mahrice

who8mahrice

Pre-Medical
    My friends who go to OSU here for grad schools say people start looking for housing EARLY, e.g. some start in January. My friends and I are from Seattle where people don't really start looking til Spring quarter...so they didn't find a ton of choices left last year and the year before that. They relied mostly on Craigslist. They started about two months or so earlier last year compared to the year before and found a much nicer place (especially since it's so close to the health professional schools).
  9. tiedyeddog

tiedyeddog

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Last year I know both interviewers had my EC's, and I think the faculty interviewer had my course history, personal history, and GPA/MCAT stuff. I have no idea about this year?
  10. tiedyeddog

tiedyeddog

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, housing here is weird. If you want to live near campus, the best places open up around January and are gone by late February. If you would be ok living in Hilliard, Clintonville, Grove City or somewhere farther away then it doesn't really matter.

Craiglists is a good resource. I've found places by walking around off campus and writing done phone numbers on "for-rent signs" (which stay up all the time at some apartments, if they have units or not open....) and the off-campus student services site has a great apartment list.

Actually, I have been wondering how leases and stuff are going to work out for this upcoming year. This will be the whole university's switch to semesters, so for the first time undergrads are coming in mid-August instead of mid-September (It doesn't effect the medical school, we always start the first week of august.) So leases might be weird this first year of semesters, who knows?
  11. DISCOSTEW

DISCOSTEW

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yikes, sounds crazy, i'm not too familiar with the area. I was just wondering kuz, I'm on the waitlist at my top school, and I'd hate to get locked into a lease and hear back from that school you know?
  12. Kira

Kira

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Interviewed on November 16. Here's a little summary for those who have yet to interview and don't know what to expect.

Arrive at Meiling Hall by 9:45. If possible, have someone drop you off because the only parking was ~$10 for the whole day. Once you go in the building, you don't have to worry about getting lost. There's a big sign in the back of the lobby that will direct your path. DON'T forget your wallet sized photo!! But even if you do, like me, they give you an envelope to send one in.

Once they come to get you, they take you to a conference room which will be your "home base" for the whole day. You watch a video, listen to a powerpoint lecture, and have speakers on what to expect for the rest of the day, the new curriculum, financial aid, and a current med student's experiences. Then you have lunch with students (try the cranberry pita wrap!). This all occurs in the same room so don't worry about moving a lot.

After this comes a tour.

Finally, there are two interviews. In both interviews, they have access to your entire application expect your grades and your MCAT. If you want to discuss something about your grades/MCAT, you can. The first interview is with a faculty member. It was very intimate and chill. I loved my interviewer! The second interview is with a student, just to see if they think you would like OSU.

Then you're done. No problem!
    I'm sad since I seemed like the only SDN-er on my interview date :(
    Good Luck to all!! :luck:
    Last edited: 11.18.11
  13. DISCOSTEW

DISCOSTEW

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    so searching for housing in June would be pretty tough?
  14. GoZags

GoZags

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Interesting, my interviewer last year certainly had my MCAT score because we discussed it specifically....maybe things changed since last year
  15. averagesuperher

averagesuperher

Pre-Medical
    Does anybody know whether OSU this year will slightly favor people with higher MCATs/GPA than in previous years due to their recent drop in research ranking from #27 to #38? Are they aiming for better candidates number-wise in order to boost their ranking?
  16. saveourpens

saveourpens

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Should I consider myself done here? Secondary was complete at the end of August and I have yet to hear anything. 35 MCAT, GPA around a 3.80. lots of research, decent clinical experience. Out of state.
  17. vb1

vb1

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Pretty sure rankings are based on research funding only. Class profile also plays a role?
  18. sector9

sector9 Administrator Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
  19. averagesuperher

averagesuperher

Pre-Medical
    yeah MCAT and GPA play a decent role in the rankings. According to USNews:

Mean MCAT Score (.13 in the research medical school model, .0975 in the primary-care medical school model) The mean composite Medical College Admission Test score of the 2010 entering class.

Mean Undergraduate GPA (.06 in the research medical school model, .045 in the primary-care medical school model) The mean undergraduate grade-point average of the 2010 entering class.

Acceptance Rate (.01 in the research medical school model, .0075 in the primary-care medical school model) The proportion of applicants to the 2010 entering class who were offered admission.
  20. vb1

vb1

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow. +1 to your question then.
  21. tiedyeddog

tiedyeddog

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    As every medical school does, they try to pick students who have the highest MCAT/GPA/Best EC's/Best fit for the school. I would say having a high MCAT and GPA helps you just as it has everyone one else with high stats every year.

Don't consider yourself done yet. There is still hope. :)

Class profile along with residency PD's evaluations do count.

I just want to say that the ranking does include MCAT scores and GPA. Just to be clear, however, OSU's drop in rankings was not caused by a drop in matriculant GPAs and MCATs and any other metric concerned with medical students or medical education. The drop concerned a change in the metric for research funding. I believe it was a change from sheer amount of award money to a metric that took in money received per faculty member. Could be wrong, but either way, the drop was not caused by a drop in medical student quality or a quality in education. It purely had to do with research funding in the COM.
  22. osumc2014

osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    :thumbup: yep

as to you guys' question about accepting higher ranked students, they accept higher ranked students each year (if you look at the MCAT and GPA overall average of the last 10 years, there's an upward trend), bc OSU is trying to increase their ranking and prestige yearly as every other school desires to. That is actually good for the school, meaning we care to make ourselves well established for in the future when you apply to residencies.
  23. tiedyeddog

tiedyeddog

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    [​IMG]
    Mirror Lake jump was last night. Say hello to one of the best unofficial traditions in college sports! You'll have plenty of time for this kind of stuff, btw. :)
  24. latrala2300

latrala2300

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i interviewed here a few weeks ago, and think it's a great school!

pros: curriculum, people seem nice, clinical sites, rep

cons: if you fail more than 3 exams, you're out. i'm verrrry hesitant about this.

regardless, i look forward to hearing back.
  25. osumc2014

osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    The chances of this happening is 0. They will warn you and tell you to have a leave of absence (a few students did this last year) after you failed your 2nd test, then you just repeat the part of 1st year you failed and hopefully by then you won't fail anymore. Really the goal of medical school is to succeed, you shouldn't worry about failing as much as learning a study strategy that works for you.
  26. latrala2300

latrala2300

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i completely get what you're saying, but i dont like that level of stress (i.e. will this exam be the one that finishes me? :laugh:)--especially compared to other schools where you have to fail entire courses and then some to be required a year off or repeat. i won't let this one factor decide between schools, but it is certainly a consideration that i thought would be valuable for applicants on here to see.
  27. osumc2014

osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    There s really no pressure once you gauge how the first few tests go, it's fairly hard to fail a test (let alone 3), if you did then you really didn't get the material, and we have lots of people whose jobs is to help you get better at studying. You have to trust that if we accepted you, then we think you will succeed and work hard.
  28. latrala2300

latrala2300

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks for the insider's perspective! i'll probably send you a PM a few months down the line once i have a firm sense of final outcomes at schools.
  29. averagesuperher

averagesuperher

Pre-Medical
    hey does anyone know whether your application status is supposed to change once you go in for your interview? I completed my interview last week but on my application page it still says "Interview Invitation" as my current status.
  30. tiedyeddog

tiedyeddog

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Well, medicine is stressful. Like in real life, you don't get multiple chances to do things right. At least everything is pass/fail. I can't even imagine going to a school that wasn't pass/fail.
  31. BSU

BSU

Pre-Medical
    Ohio State is pass/fail? Our second years said it was honors/high pass.... And that people who get honors get an additional $5,000 scholarship the next year. Not true?
  32. dtt2543

dtt2543

Pre-Medical
    How the heck do you set up the OSU email? What's the student.# business?
  33. osumc2014

osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Honors/Letters/Pass/Fail
    top 10%/top25%/rest
  34. tiedyeddog

tiedyeddog

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I guess I should have been more clear, OSUMC is right. We don't have grades for any given test but there is cumulative ranking for Deans letters/AOA. This is for my class, btw. Don't know if they are changing this.
  35. Emilyyyy

Emilyyyy

Pre-Medical
    Woo, interview invite for 2/1! Just saw it when I checked my status this morning :)
  36. gridguy

gridguy

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Been looking around online, however I have seen nothing concerning how Ohio State weighs multiple MCATs. Does anyone know?
  37. Kira

Kira

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congratulations!! You're going to have a great time :)

I took the MCAT twice, but my OSU profile page only lists my highest score. I don't know for sure that they only consider your best testing, but it made me feel good to only see the one. Good luck!
  38. KinasePro

KinasePro Das it mane

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I hate to nitpick, but this isn't entirely true. At second look this year, the dean said that a very slight drop in matriculant GPA (0.02) resulted in OSU losing a point in USNWR's ranking criteria.. pretty ridiculous that such a small change can result in a point deduction, but it did happen and played a part in the rankings.

Still, you're right about research being the main cause of the ranking drop. USNWR moved from a system rewarding total research dollars per school to a system of rewarding research dollars per faculty member, which favors schools like standford and penalizes schools like OSU and UC Denver.
  39. DrMeowMeow

DrMeowMeow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When is the next time ohio state is accepting people? This wednesday?
  40. EleanorAutumn

EleanorAutumn

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    For those who interviewed on Nov 14th - anyone have any idea when calls/decisions are supposed to be released tomorrow? Or for people who already heard back ... when did your status change? I'm hoping for good news!
  41. DrMeowMeow

DrMeowMeow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Calls are usually made from 7-11pm and statuses are changed the next morning
  42. EleanorAutumn

EleanorAutumn

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you!
  43. averagesuperher

averagesuperher

Pre-Medical
    My status still says "Interview Invitation" even though it's been more than a week since I've interviewed there. Is there suppose to be a chance in the online status to "interview Completed" or is something wrong with the processing of my application? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
  44. karmayogi

karmayogi

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

mine says interview completed. interviewed on 11/9.
  45. Diggidy

Diggidy

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Interview Invite today! Scheduled for Feb. 1st. Since I was complete for almost 3 months there now I just figured it was a silent rejection, and then when I saw the email that I had a status change I thought for sure it was the rejection. BUT NO!

February is kind of late, is OSU rolling or non-rolling, or do you think there is much/any disadvantage interviewing this late?

OOS
    3.55/36S
  46. osumc2014

osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Rolling, it's a bit late but not bad at all. I'd check in periodically to see if they have spots earlier.
  47. MegMurry

MegMurry

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My status also gives a link saying interview completed. When I clicked on it, I got a form letter that said:

"We hope you enjoyed your interview day experience. You will be able to view your admission decision from your status page in about ten business days from the date of your interview. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the College of Medicine Admissions Office at 614-292-7137 or by e-mail at [email protected]."

interviewed around the same time as karma yogi. :luck::xf:
  48. averagesuperher

averagesuperher

Pre-Medical
    Did you get a decision from the admissions committee yet from the Nov 9th interview?
  49. EleanorAutumn

EleanorAutumn

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Posted on their twitter:

"If you interviewed on November 2, 7, 9, 14, 16 or 21 you will receive an admission decision by Friday, December 2, 2011."
  50. joy14

joy14

Pre-Medical
    is it too late to apply? urban meyer coming to ohio state makes it my #1 :laugh: :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal