2011-2012 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who already attended an interview, do you have any suggestions for booking a hotel? Also, how did you get from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the interview? It looks like some of the hotels have shuttles...maybe...but I don't know which one to go with.

Thanks!

+1 would like to hear recommendations as well

the blackwell has a shuttle that'll take you to the airport/interview/back to airport/hold your luggage, but it's also too $$$

the hilton is moderately cheap, but no shuttle whatsoever

the holiday inn express is in the middle, no shuttle but a discounted taxi rate for $22 from the airport to their hotel (one way not roundtrip). you'll also have to take a taxi to the med ctr

the university plaza hotel is the cheapest i found, next to a cemetary LOL, has a shuttle, but apparently super mediocre rooms

Members don't see this ad.

the university plaza hotel is the cheapest i found, next to a cemetary LOL, has a shuttle, but apparently super mediocre rooms
Sounds like the perfect hotel for interview season....

I know a lot of people stayed at the Hilton and took a taxi in. Don't stay at the blackwell unless you're loaded. I lived in town so sorry I can't be much more help.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got a date that i couldn't interview, and submitted the new date request on sunday. no reply yet; do they take a while rescheduling?

thanks and :luck: to all

i got a date that i couldn't interview, and submitted the new date request on sunday. no reply yet; do they take a while rescheduling?

thanks and :luck: to all

Call them and say you requested a reschedule. You'll get directed to a person that can help you schedule the new day. That's what I did right after requesting a reschedule online.

Last edited:
Call them and say you requested a reschedule. You'll get directed to a person that can help you schedule the new day. That's what I did write after requesting a reschedule online.

gotcha. didn't want to jump the gun but i'll call soon. thanks

Good luck OSU-meddie applicants! M1 here--shouting out that everything will be okay! I didn't get an interview until the spring and yet, here I sit, studying for Anatomy Block 2! I know it's not easy to take someone's advice about how it will "all work out for the best" but it will, I promise!

My stats: MCAT 32 (yup, lower than OSU's average), in-stater, BELOW average science GPA, mountains of extracurriculars and research (yet no publication). Yes, they really did care about who I was and why I was a good fit for OSU (and not why my stats did or didn't fit). You can do it!!

Good luck OSU-meddie applicants! M1 here--shouting out that everything will be okay! I didn't get an interview until the spring and yet, here I sit, studying for Anatomy Block 2! I know it's not easy to take someone's advice about how it will "all work out for the best" but it will, I promise!

My stats: MCAT 32 (yup, lower than OSU's average), in-stater, BELOW average science GPA, mountains of extracurriculars and research (yet no publication). Yes, they really did care about who I was and why I was a good fit for OSU (and not why my stats did or didn't fit). You can do it!!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm really excited about OSU's program and am hoping for an interview.

Can anyone tell me (even through PM) the number through they call us? I just got a call with 614 code..I dont know! lol..i m getting anxious!

Can anyone tell me (even through PM) the number through they call us? I just got a call with 614 code..I dont know! lol..i m getting anxious!

It showed up as "Private Number" on my phone, sorry :D

So question... I'm hearing people saying that interviewing in November is considered late... Is this typical SNDer neuroticism or an actual thing that we have to worry about?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
So question... I'm hearing people saying that interviewing in November is considered late... Is this typical SNDer neuroticism or an actual thing that we have to worry about?
Who told you this....

I interviewed in April last year. Got in the week after. I'd say interviewing in February or later is "late".

Right, well later in the cycle you're competing for few spots, and even 35+/3.95ers submit after 6/1. Encouraging people to interview in November/December (aka. a few months after September) can't be sound advice.

One source is this person. He makes it sound like interviewing in November is already a near death sentence for any wishes to get accepted.

Exactly. I tried to offer some advice form someone who has been through the process and is on the AdCom, but he thought his pre-med knowledge trumped me. No offense to pre-meds.

What I said: applying early is better than late, regardless of your stats. (Notice I didn't say you shouldnt apply if your only option is later.)

What you said: if you have low stats, apply later because you won't be competing against people with high stats. (You recommended people wait to interview later!! That's just crazy.)

As a matter of fact, I'd like to argue that it would be better to interview mid cycle than early cycle. ...Now, if you wait a few months, you are interviewing with good candidates, but perhaps not the caliber that you would have been in September.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood the above quote because I'm a simple minded premed.

I agree with everything else in your last post, though.

Let's all play nice!

You can't pick when you want to interview anyway! (at least not initially)

14th midnight would be an interesting day for some. It can be Michigan Vs OSU or nothing. You might be answering the door bell and the telephone at the same time or would be a huge dissappointment. :)

I had my interview on 9/26. The day starts with presentations, then lunch and a tour with medical students, and then two interviews. The admissions staff and everyone else was very friendly. The presentations were informative. The new curriculum sounds great and everyone is very excited for it. The facilities are great. The interviews are relaxed. The student interview lasts about 20 minutes. The faculty interview lasts between 30-45 minutes.

I left loving Ohio State.

M1 (guess almost M2) here, feel free to ask questions!

I have a quick question, I didnt apply to Ohio State on my primary app but i just got an email from them this morning inviting me to apply there. so i was wondering is that good?

I have a quick question, I didnt apply to Ohio State on my primary app but i just got an email from them this morning inviting me to apply there. so i was wondering is that good?

That depends on your application and whether Ohio State is a good fit for you. Remember, those secondaries cost money.

Hey! Thank you so much for posting this. I have an MCAT of 32, in-state, 3.52 cGPA and 3.43 sGPA...I know those are really below average but I also have research experience and I do have a publication. I am a buckeye for life and am DYING for an interview!

Do you think that the school takes into consideration the rigor of the applicant's major? For example, oh lets just say...an engineering major?

Also, did you inquire after not having received an interview invite by March? Or did you simply just wait and then received your invitation in April?

Hey! Thank you so much for posting this. I have an MCAT of 32, in-state, 3.52 cGPA and 3.43 sGPA...I know those are really below average but I also have research experience and I do have a publication. I am a buckeye for life and am DYING for an interview!

Do you think that the school takes into consideration the rigor of the applicant's major? For example, oh lets just say...an engineering major?

Also, did you inquire after not having received an interview invite by March? Or did you simply just wait and then received your invitation in April?

I am in a very similar position. I was born and raised in Ohio and would gladly attend this school over Harvard, JHU, etc. I have an MCAT of 33, 3.8 cGPA, and 3.75 sGPA. The only problem is that I just submitted my secondary a week ago :scared:. Good luck! Hopefully we both get to attend our dream school haha

I am in a very similar position. I was born and raised in Ohio and would gladly attend this school over Harvard, JHU, etc. I have an MCAT of 33, 3.8 cGPA, and 3.75 sGPA. The only problem is that I just submitted my secondary a week ago :scared:. Good luck! Hopefully we both get to attend our dream school haha

That stat I assume is an almost guaranteed interview, whether you get in is up to you!

Does anyone know how Ohio feels about pre-interview update letters?

Last night I submitted that I wanted to reschedule my interview, then a few minutes later I decided I actually wanted that date and went back and submitted to confirm it. Does anyone know if that is alright?? Or will they see that I had wanted to reschedule and change my date??

Last night I submitted that I wanted to reschedule my interview, then a few minutes later I decided I actually wanted that date and went back and submitted to confirm it. Does anyone know if that is alright?? Or will they see that I had wanted to reschedule and change my date??

Call.

That stat I assume is an almost guaranteed interview, whether you get in is up to you!

I hope you're right!! Words cannot describe how far ahead of all the other schools on my list OSU is haha.

For all of those coming in for interviews in the next few weeks, pay attention to the forecast. It was seriously high thirties this past weekend and they are predicting mid seventies this week.... Welcome to Ohio!

II for November! So happy. Also thought this one was going to be a rejection when I checked my e-mail the other day and saw "status change", haha.

II for November! So happy. Also thought this one was going to be a rejection when I checked my e-mail the other day and saw "status change", haha.

Could I ask when did you submit your secondary?

Congrats on all the invites!

adding my hat to the interview invites received today! cant wait!

Congrats on all the interviews! :)

I just got back from mine, and it was a really good experience. Feel free to PM me questions if you have them!

Did anyone else get an email today about their new anatomy requirements for the entering class of 2012? I don't find this change to be "exciting" at all :/. Sucks how the hotels and tickets have already been booked.. bleh.

Their website was updated with the requirement mid-June. There's an online option if all else fails.

Last edited:
Just take it by Matriculation (if you get in that is!)

Thanks for the info everyone! I only saw the Biochemistry requirement when I applied; though having reread the page it was my fault that I missed that information. I won't be able to fit in anatomy prior to matriculating.. Best of luck to everyone interviewing here! :)
You won't be able to fit it in even by taking it online?:confused:

I work during the day and will be taking three required classes in the evenings and on the weekends next semester.. I doubt I will have the time to study anatomy with the level of detail it requires :(

Just gotta pass it, doesn't say we require an A

Status
Not open for further replies.