2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha lets not forget they also rejected like botton 10%. So we're more like the 71%.

How do you know the bottom 10% is rejected? Or are you just assuming that?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know the bottom 10% is rejected? Or are you just assuming that?

It's an assumption. Based on our not-so-random sample of SDN applicants, it's more like 4%, but this is likely to be a somewhat higher caliber of applicant, so it's quite possible that a random sample would have 2-3 rejects for the number of applicants represented (i.e., it could be more like 8-12%). Heck, it could be ~20%, just like the acceptances...

Just adding to the sample size here, placed on hold as of 3/28. Interviewed on 3/2. I just checked today and found out. It does make me wonder if being placed on hold so quickly means anything. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just adding to the sample size here, placed on hold as of 3/28. Interviewed on 3/2. I just checked today and found out. It does make me wonder if being placed on hold so quickly means anything. :confused:

I think it means that they've streamlined the new interview/decision process--I highly doubt it means anything bad (or good) about your candidacy.

Good luck to all the new folks on hold. I don't know if last year's SDN posters were a bunch overachievers or we're just particularly meh-worthy, but there sure are a lot of us!

I think it means that they've streamlined the new interview/decision process--I highly doubt it means anything bad (or good) about your candidacy.

Good luck to all the new folks on hold. I don't know if last year's SDN posters were a bunch overachievers or we're just particularly meh-worthy, but there sure are a lot of us!

Most likely it's neither of those reasons. The fact that the above poster was placed on hold so fast indicates they are getting a better feel for what scores indicate a hold, but they told us all along that with the change to the MMI, they would be placing most people on hold until they had seen everyone's scores because they were less sure of where the cutoffs might end up being.

Interviewed 3/2 and no news yet.

I feel like this guy:

god_at_his_computer.jpg

:scared:

Most likely it's neither of those reasons. The fact that the above poster was placed on hold so fast indicates they are getting a better feel for what scores indicate a hold, but they told us all along that with the change to the MMI, they would be placing most people on hold until they had seen everyone's scores because they were less sure of where the cutoffs might end up being.

I guess I forgot the tongue-in-cheek emoticon. :laugh:

Yeah, thanks for the confirmation. I think I knew that. I guess I was just being neurotic and relieve some of the stress from this "anxious time of waiting" as they stated on their portal page! :)

Has anyone else who interviewed in February not heard anything yet?

I interviewed in February and haven't heard back yet...I can so nervous checking the portal every day! Maybe it's because I'm OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/27. Placed on hold status 2 weeks ago via the portal...... then got the surprise acceptance email today!!!!!

Interviewed 1/27. Placed on hold status 2 weeks ago via the portal...... then got the surprise acceptance email today!!!!!

Congrats! That gives us all some hope that our holds could suddenly become acceptances..... Now if it'd just happen before I go spend more money interviewing at other top 50 schools!

Do you think they would start telling applicants what approximate rank they are? I'm deciding if I should go to an interview next week, but I won't go to that interview if OHSU might send me an acceptance.

Do you think they would start telling applicants what approximate rank they are? I'm deciding if I should go to an interview next week, but I won't go to that interview if OHSU might send me an acceptance.

Very, very doubtful, I'm afraid. (That they'll tell you your rank early--not that you'll get an eventual acceptance.) Attend the interview, and good luck!

I called their office a couple weeks ago to ask them to give me a ballpark of where I stood and they said they couldn't. Congrats on getting an interview, I'd probably go if I was you...

Also, a friend of mine was taken off of hold today and given an acceptance. Hopefully we'll be hearing (good) news from OHSU within the week!

:luck::luck:

Last edited:
I called their office a couple weeks ago to ask them to give me a ballpark of where I stood and they said they couldn't. Congrats on getting an interview, I'd probably go if I was you...

Also, a friend of mine was taken off of hold today and given an acceptance. Hopefully we'll be hearing (good) news from OHSU within the week!

:luck::luck:

Another offer today at you posted at 9:22? Wow they must have contact them early this morning. I know some people got off the hold list yesterday. I'm glad there is movement off the hold list, but it also makes me a little nervous the more I hear about people getting off hold because it means there are less spots to give out. Am I alone?

Another offer today at you posted at 9:22? Wow they must have contact them early this morning. I know some people got off the hold list yesterday. I'm glad there is movement off the hold list, but it also makes me a little nervous the more I hear about people getting off hold because it means there are less spots to give out. Am I alone?
Think of it as a good thing! The hold list is being reviewed and you could be the next acceptance!! Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone on hold! I know it's been a long process but I have to say I'm really impressed with how respectful and helpful this thread is. It makes me want to get into OHSU even more. :)

you are definitely not alone! but hopefully there will be more movement soon and we will both get in :luck:

So I just called the OHSU and they said that between 100-110 acceptances have been given out. That's kind of reassuring cause that means they haven't even given out their full class of offers yet AND you know not everyone will accept the offer. Keeping my fingers crossed!

So I just called the OHSU and they said that between 100-110 acceptances have been given out. That's kind of reassuring cause that means they haven't even given out their full class of offers yet AND you know not everyone will accept the offer. Keeping my fingers crossed!
You and me both. So a jump of 10 to 20 offers in 3 days. Looks like some real movement on the hold list is going on. Best of luck all.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed but if I had to guess I'd say the majority of acceptances from this point on will be via the waitlist--I don't doubt they have a dozen or two left to hand out before May, (especially for recent interviewees) but some of us might be facing a longer wait.

(Based on the fact that they got to ~109 on the waitlist last year and offered ~250 total acceptances, leaving ~140 before May.)

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed but if I had to guess I'd say the majority of acceptances from this point on will be via the waitlist--I don't doubt they have a dozen or two left to hand out before May, (especially for recent interviewees) but some of us might be facing a longer wait.

(Based on the fact that they got to ~109 on the waitlist last year and offered ~250 total acceptances, leaving ~140 before May.)

They actually got to 120 on the waitlist according to someone I know. Someone said they knew the person who was number 120 who got in.

I interviewed 2/22 and still have not received a response of any form. Anyone have a clue of what that could mean. I would expect that they have reviewed my file by now considering march interviews have been responded to. Bah the anticipation is killing me :eek:

They actually got to 120 on the waitlist according to someone I know. Someone said they knew the person who was number 120 who got in.
But let's not talk about what happened the year before.... :eek:

Yes, that is very depressing. While the wait list movement may not be as great as last year, I anticipate significant movement since OHSU probably isn't going to be giving out more than their class size of offers before the wait list comes out. Whereas in past years they have accepted more than their incoming class before May to compensate for the people who rejected their offer before May 15th. Just my opinion/my hoping.

Anyone else who has posted about being accepted plan to reject their acceptance to go to another school?

It's still pretty early folks, but hang in there. If you've interviewed already (and I think there aren't any more interviews) there's nothing you can do now but sit and wait.

Best case scenario is that your wish gets fulfilled and this is your last year before being a med student. Worst case scenario is that you have to apply another year.

So what does it mean for those two cases?
  • In the best case scenario this is the last time when you'll have any significant amount of free time. Think you're busy now? That's nothing to how busy you'll be when you're in med school. So enjoy it now! For real. Get off SDN and have some fun.
  • Worse case scenario you'll have to apply again next year. No fun for anyone, and it is expensive, and there's a lot of reasons not to be happy, but again if you've already interviewed there's nothing you can do to change your chances now. So still, enjoy your time while you have it. And if you don't get in this year, work your butt off to improve and get in next year, but ALSO have some fun. You've been given another year to have a real social life and family life, which isn't such a bad deal when you think about it.

I don't know if last year's SDN posters were a bunch overachievers or we're just particularly meh-worthy, but there sure are a lot of us!

We're told that every class has its own personality, and that the Class of 2015 is exceptionally... um, well let's just say that every class has its good aspects and bad aspects :)

We're told that every class has its own personality, and that the Class of 2015 is exceptionally... um, well let's just say that every class has its good aspects and bad aspects :)

That statement is 100% true (the personalities at least, not Med15 being "um"). Of the three classes I knew the best, I would list these as superlatives:

1) Students most likely to wear birkenstocks to clinic
2) Students most likely to throw ridiculous theme parties
3) Students most likely to suture random things during MS1/2 lecture

I won't identify the classes by year, but I will say that I'm super pumped for Med12's upcoming jungle themed graduation party...

• Worse case scenario you'll have to apply again next year. No fun for anyone, and it is expensive, and there's a lot of reasons not to be happy, but again if you've already interviewed there's nothing you can do to change your chances now. So still, enjoy your time while you have it. And if you don't get in this year, work your butt off to improve and get in next year, but ALSO have some fun. You've been given another year to have a real social life and family life, which isn't such a bad deal when you think about it.
With all due respect, there are worse scenarios. Selling one's house (likely at a loss in this market) and uprooting one's family to take an acceptance elsewhere. (Because even as a reapplicant to OHSU, eventually one has to Get Real and apply more broadly.) Having to retake the MCAT because your score expired while you were applying year after year. (No small feat when you have a demanding 60+ hr a week career.) Not knowing whether you can make commitments to your employer, to your family, etc. because the next four years are a complete crapshoot. Sorry to vent, I know you're trying to be encouraging and put things into bigger perspective. Some of us just have a different perspective, is all.

Is there a Facebook group?

What kind of Facebook group? One for the incoming class of 2016? I think it's too early for that if you were hoping to join. There is a Facebook group for OHSU in general if that's what you are looking for for general information about the school. Not sure what kind of Facebook group you want or why. Little more information would be helpful.

with all due respect, there are worse scenarios. Selling one's house (likely at a loss in this market) and uprooting one's family to take an acceptance elsewhere. (because even as a reapplicant to ohsu, eventually one has to get real and apply more broadly.) having to retake the mcat because your score expired while you were applying year after year. (no small feat when you have a demanding 60+ hr a week career.) not knowing whether you can make commitments to your employer, to your family, etc. Because the next four years are a complete crapshoot. Sorry to vent, i know you're trying to be encouraging and put things into bigger perspective. Some of us just have a different perspective, is all.

qft. :(

I interviewed 1/13 MD/MPH and still nothing..... called and admissions said the admissions committee has made a decision but the MPH program hasn't yet... out of state student...

I interviewed 1/13 MD/MPH and still nothing..... called and admissions said the admissions committee has made a decision but the MPH program hasn't yet... out of state student...

That is probably a semi good thing. I have heard you have to first be accepted into the MD only program before you get a shot at MPH or other dual degree. If you weren't accepted MD then you wouldn't get MPH only. I could be wrong though.

Does anyone know if you receive an e-mail if you make the waitlist or if it is just updated on the portal?

Last edited:
That is probably a semi good thing. I have heard you have to first be accepted into the MD only program before you get a shot at MPH or other dual degree. If you weren't accepted MD then you wouldn't get MPH only. I could be wrong though.

Does anyone know if you receive an e-mail if you make the waitlist or if it is just updated on the portal?
That was kind of my thought, when they told me that the admissions committee had made a decision, I figure that was a good thing, if they had rejected me, there would be no need to wait for the MPH director. Now I'm thinking my choices are waitlist/hold, accepted MD only or accepted MD/MPH... but it would sure be nice if they could speed up the process, twelve weeks and counting seems excessive but oh well, I know it's worst for other people so I will try to keep that in perspective.

Last edited:
What kind of Facebook group? One for the incoming class of 2016? I think it's too early for that if you were hoping to join. There is a Facebook group for OHSU in general if that's what you are looking for for general information about the school. Not sure what kind of Facebook group you want or why. Little more information would be helpful.

I'm actually surprised they haven't made a Class of 2016 Facebook group yet. Someone who has gotten accepted should get on that. It's great to get to know your classmates as early as possible and to share in the excitement.

I know last year's Waitlist was pretty extreme but you guys never know how high it's going to go so nobody give up hope. Good luck everyone!

I'm actually surprised they haven't made a Class of 2016 Facebook group yet. Someone who has gotten accepted should get on that. It's great to get to know your classmates as early as possible and to share in the excitement.

I know last year's Waitlist was pretty extreme but you guys never know how high it's going to go so nobody give up hope. Good luck everyone!

Hey all, I just created a Facebook group titled OHSU Class of 2016 for those accepted. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/279921405426142/

I look forward to meeting everyone soon!

Whew, all y'all need to breathe! A large majority of people get put on hold here. I was on hold and I'm nearly done with my first year. It is a wonderful school, and worry about things won't hurry things up. Enjoy your life before medical school, cause it readily disappears once med school starts. I look forward to meeting those of you that have been accepted next year (I hope you choose OHSU, our curriculum is very student friendly, and we have really early clinical exposure). For those of you that are on hold, just step back and relax until May 15th. Also, because OHSU used the MMI format this year, things will be even slower (I feel sorry for you all). Hang in there, and keep your head up! Med school is just around the corner!

MH

Whew, all y'all need to breathe! A large majority of people get put on hold here. I was on hold and I'm nearly done with my first year. It is a wonderful school, and worry about things won't hurry things up. Enjoy your life before medical school, cause it readily disappears once med school starts. I look forward to meeting those of you that have been accepted next year (I hope you choose OHSU, our curriculum is very student friendly, and we have really early clinical exposure). For those of you that are on hold, just step back and relax until May 15th. Also, because OHSU used the MMI format this year, things will be even slower (I feel sorry for you all). Hang in there, and keep your head up! Med school is just around the corner!

MH

lol, way to kill all discussion that was going on! Relaxing is easier said than done!

lol, way to kill all discussion that was going on! Relaxing is easier said than done!

Agreed! It is much easier to relax knowing you are accepted or giving that advice when you are already in.

Any March interviewers hear anything yet? Give us some hope that maybe we will hear a little sooner if they are almost done reviewing all the applicants who have interviewed.

I do agree, however, that there is something of a point to advocating a more relaxed attitude, I mean I can attest that following this forum, hoping for some glimpse as to my likelihood of eventually being admitted, has certainly stressed me out unnecessarily on more than one occasion. While I don't have a family or many firmly rooted obligations to consider, as some others have mentioned, I still agree that for one's personal well being it is best to find some way to contain the overwhelming anxiety that can accompany this waiting process. That being said, I can empathize with everyone's frustrations and am equally anxious to hear my (hopefully) quickly approaching decision. Best of luck to everyone.

I just got put on hold yesterday, i interviewed on 2/22. Sounds like they still have awhile to go before they're done reviewing. I'm OOS

Status
Not open for further replies.