2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This how my mood has progressed since my interview in March
:( :oops: :) :( :confused: :mad:

And I will look like :eek: every day once May hits

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed 2/10, put on hold 4/12. I'll be withdrawing my application. Good luck to everyone else! :luck:

Hi guys, I just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to someone else soon, best of luck as the process winds down!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So... its April 15th, that means one more month till we are supposed to get a response... I interviewed back in December, this is killing me...

Edit: I actually interview back in November, and heard back from them in December. The wait is sooo brutal! I can see why so many people would turn them down, especially if they are out of state!

Last edited:
Good news is the facebook group made only has 32 members, so hopefully that means a lot of spots have yet to be filled. Yes, I know not everyone has facebook or not everyone will join the group, but still that gives a little more hope than if there were already 100 members. Bad news for females is of the 32, there are 23 females. So either they have just accepted way more females or guys don't care to add it on facebook. Doesn't make me feel great about my chances being a female at this point.....

Has anyone heard of any movement in the last 10 days-ish, or received info from phone calls to admissions?

Thanks

Good news is the facebook group made only has 32 members, so hopefully that means a lot of spots have yet to be filled. Yes, I know not everyone has facebook or not everyone will join the group, but still that gives a little more hope than if there were already 100 members. Bad news for females is of the 32, there are 23 females. So either they have just accepted way more females or guys don't care to add it on facebook. Doesn't make me feel great about my chances being a female at this point.....

Even though I am a guy and I wish this was true, I dont think they could really base admission on sex of applicants. But, I could see the issue if 90 females and only 40 males were accepted.... Maybe its one of those things where they say they dont look at gender, but in the end, they kind of have to because there are plenty of litigious people are on both sides of that fence.

I think an acceptance as far as 60% female and 40% male would still not raise enough eyebrows to create any issues though and even then, I wouldnt look too far into the facebook group just yet :).

Bad news for females is of the 32, there are 23 females. So either they have just accepted way more females or guys don't care to add it on facebook. Doesn't make me feel great about my chances being a female at this point.....

It could be. Our year is predominantly male (just a fluke) even though it's typically pretty close to 50/50. You never know maybe they want to ensure that doesn't happen again?

It could be. Our year is predominantly male (just a fluke) even though it's typically pretty close to 50/50. You never know maybe they want to ensure that doesn't happen again?

I seem to remember my year being around 60% female. The administration said that most years it was pretty standard for there to be more females than males.

Has anyone interviewed early/mid march heard anything back yet? I guess where do you find whether you are put on hold or not? is it the main application webpage?

I was put on "Hold" on 4/12 and interviewed on 3/2. If you want to know your status, you have to go look on the admissions portal to find out, because it seems like they're not sending out an email to anyone if they got put on hold, it sounds like they only email you if a final decision to reject or accept you has been made.

I was put on "Hold" on 4/12 and interviewed on 3/2. If you want to know your status, you have to go look on the admissions portal to find out, because it seems like they're not sending out an email to anyone if they got put on hold, it sounds like they only email you if a final decision to reject or accept you has been made.
did you portal show a 'hold' status?

finally placed on 'hold' 4/18... interviewed 1/13: MD/MPH.... how large is the class size again? I'm OOS so I don't know as much as if I were IS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email, accepted to OHSU! This is going to be a tough choice, as both Wisconsin and OHSU are great schools. I've already signed a lease in Madison, but I guess I have to really consider going to Portland as well.

Just got the email, accepted to OHSU! This is going to be a tough choice, as both Wisconsin and OHSU are great schools. I've already signed a lease in Madison, but I guess I have to really consider going to Portland as well.

Congrats! When did you interview? Were you placed on hold first or directly accepted?

@rrobbins, the incoming class this year will be 136 including the dual degree students

Also accepted! First acceptance for me, and I will almost certainly be attending OHSU this fall.

Interviewed 3/9. No prior "hold" status. Best of luck to everyone, and hope I will see some of you there in August.

Congrats! When did you interview? Were you placed on hold first or directly accepted?

@rrobbins, the incoming class this year will be 136 including the dual degree students

Im an OOS applicant. Completed my secondary on 2/9 after receiving the extended secondary deadline letter in the mail, so it was possible, regardless of what most people on here said. Interviewed 3/15. Accepted directly (no hold) TODAY! :D

Also accepted! First acceptance for me, and I will almost certainly be attending OHSU this fall.

Interviewed 3/9. No prior "hold" status. Best of luck to everyone, and hope I will see some of you there in August.

Congrats! Did your email say anything about a second visit? Did we miss it? I recently attended my Wisconsin second look and I have to say, with it so fresh in my mind, it's making it hard for me to even consider OHSU. But I would be a fool not to take a good long look at both schools.

Congrats! Did your email say anything about a second visit? Did we miss it? I recently attended my Wisconsin second look and I have to say, with it so fresh in my mind, it's making it hard for me to even consider OHSU. But I would be a fool not to take a good long look at both schools.

I don't think OHSU does a "second look" week or weekend since they don't finish giving out their acceptances for their class until late April early May.

OK, hopefully they do. Thanks for the reply. Good luck to all those still waiting, I wish you all the best!

You should be getting a second look email pretty soon, if you havent already. April 30th, May 4th and 11th are the second look days, I believe.

I was just told that I'd be receiving a packet in the mail within a month, and that I didn't need to do anything until then. OHSU is pretty baller, and I am totally excited. Hope whatever choice you make is the best for you!

That's true, the epic news of 4/17 left me at a loss, clouded the mind. But yes I interviewed 2/22 and held today

Anyone know how many acceptances they have given out? also, I was told at my interview that they give us a hold number, is that true? Also, as an OOS student, can someone explain to me how the hold thing usually works out. How many are rejected typically after they have been placed on hold? It kind of feels like a loophole to put people on hold only to give the admissions committee more time to come to a conclusion about them.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many acceptances they have given out? also, I was told at my interview that they give us a hold number, is that true?

I know they told us they give a wait list number if you are put on the wait list, but I'm not sure about a hold number.

There is no "hold" number. Once the alternate list comes out they will assign numbers.

Hey congrats on your acceptance. I interviewed 3/2 and was put on hold a week ago. Just curious if you are in state or out? I am OOS.

Hey congrats on your acceptance. I interviewed 3/2 and was put on hold a week ago. Just curious if you are in state or out? I am OOS.

Thanks! I am OOS, but my parents live in Portland, and I wouldn't be surprised if those ties helped a little.

Will keep my fingers crossed for that hold to turn to an accept for you:)

Sent from my SPH-M920 using SDN Mobile

Interviewed 3/2 and no news yet, 7 weeks later. At least May 15th is right around the corner, eh?

Interviewed 3/2 and no news yet, 7 weeks later. At least May 15th is right around the corner, eh?

I don't understand why OHSU only tells SOME of the people who interviewed on one day their results and the others have to just wait around. It is so strange.

Does anyone have any info regarding hold status and likelihood of acceptance?

I don't understand why OHSU only tells SOME of the people who interviewed on one day their results and the others have to just wait around. It is so strange.
I agree, it's weird. I prefer to assume that it's probably some mundane explanation like one's interviewer being on vacation or otherwise unable to attend some AdCom meetings.

Does anyone have any info regarding hold status and likelihood of acceptance?

Sadly no one will be able to provide you any information on that because OHSU doesn't release information about hold statuses and your hold ranking. One of three things will happen to people on hold.

1) They get directly accepted
2) They get directly rejected without being placed on the wait list
3) They are placed on the wait list and told their number on the wait list

The one thing special about OHSU versus most schools, is that IF you make the wait list, you know EXACTLY where you stand on it. OHSU will tell you your wait list number AND they will update the portal as to how far on the wait list they have gotten so you know how close you are to your number. Being on hold pretty much means nothing until you get the official result, which will most likely come in may. Luckily may isn't to far away so we will all know where we stand fairly soon.

Hey Everyone,
I know OHSU doesn't take updates post interview, but does anyone have any insight about how they feel about a letter of interest? Thanks :)

Hey Everyone,
I know OHSU doesn't take updates post interview, but does anyone have any insight about how they feel about a letter of interest? Thanks :)

We were told that they probably won't even be read. It was pretty clear that after the interview, the committee discusses you and assigns you a score, and they do not want/accept any communication from applicants.

We were told that they probably won't even be read. It was pretty clear that after the interview, the committee discusses you and assigns you a score, and they do not want/accept any communication from applicants.

Thank you.

Has anyone recently heard the number of acceptances given so far?

For anyone recently accepted or still waiting for acceptance and possibly wondering about scholarships, I received an offer for one today, so they must still be handing them out. This is DEFINITELY going to make this decision harder.

For anyone recently accepted or still waiting for acceptance and possibly wondering about scholarships, I received an offer for one today, so they must still be handing them out. This is DEFINITELY going to make this decision harder.

scholarships to out of state students... why does OHSU even get funding from the state?:confused:

Congrats to you as well!!!! How exciting, r u from oregon? I'm OOS, so this is going to be an exciting new adventure to move

Yep, I'm IS...and welcome to Oregon rbrobbins!!! See you in July!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.