2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Will you for sure be accepting the offer/attending or are you still thinking about other schools?
Yes, I will be accepting. I am waitlisted at my home school (University of Utah) but I want to live in the Northwest. OHSU is a dream come true for me!!! Can't wait

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I will be accepting. I am waitlisted at my home school (University of Utah) but I want to live in the Northwest. OHSU is a dream come true for me!!! Can't wait

Congrats! I am from Utah as well. No dual degree, just MD. Still on hold from OHSU. I hope I get some good news soon!

Thanks everyone!

So as an OOS student, how do I figure out living situations? Are other people also trying to figure out roommates etc? Just putting a feeler out there since I will be moving in eight weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone!

So as an OOS student, how do I figure out living situations? Are other people also trying to figure out roommates etc? Just putting a feeler out there since I will be moving in eight weeks.

There is a facebook group made for people in the 2016 class. Those would be the best to talk to since they are already accepted and committed to OHSU. You should join the group and ask those people. People on SDN may still be waiting to hear/deciding if they want to accept.

Anyone else who interviewed in March waiting to hear back?

Anyone else who interviewed in March waiting to hear back?

Interview 3/2. Hold 4/12. OOS. No other news. The portal said a decision will be made in May and I would be on hold until May 15. Not sure if that means news won't come sooner or what. It would be nice to hear sooner so I can start making some decisions.

So has anyone heard any news the past week and today? Seems like the only people to have posted are people who heard the 16-20th. Any new news from late march/april interviewee's?

May 15th cannot come soon enough!
Agreed. This is maddening. I've only been on hold for a little over 2 months though, I can only imagine the agonizing wait for people put on hold after the first few interviews. Any early interviewees want to claim the title of "Longest on Hold"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. This is maddening. I've only been on hold for a little over 2 months though, I can only imagine the agonizing wait for people put on hold after the first few interviews. Any early interviewees want to claim the title of "Longest on Hold"?

I interviewed October 26th and was placed on Hold in January. The waiting is awful!

Between this year and last, my running total is 9 months, 20 days on hold.

Between this year and last, my running total is 9 months, 20 days on hold.

Northwesterly ftw! Although, I'm sorry because the waiting game is not really one that you want to be winning.

Hold since January. Last year I wasn't on hold because I got rejected in October (ouch). At this point just happy to still be in the game. I think we're all more than ready to hear back already :luck::xf::luck:

Hold since early February. Was placed on hold last year as well. Don't remember the total months though.

Is anyone a re-applicant/know any re-applicants who actually got in and are going to attend? They say 30% of the class is re-applicants but it seems like everyone so far has been first time applicants.

Does anyone know who I should contact to get an interview with the admin committee? I have heard they do these. I didn't get an interview at all, so I'm not sure they will care to meet with me. But I definitely want to sit down with someone before next cycle gets going.

Not sure if they'll give exit interviews without an ii, but it can't hurt to ask. Unfortunately they don't start scheduling them til June. But if you call soon after the first you should be able to get in before submitting to AMCAS. Good luck!

Not sure if they'll give exit interviews without an ii, but it can't hurt to ask.
It is possible to get a feedback interview without having gotten to the interview stage. It will almost certainly be phone-based not in person.

Things are still 'All Quiet on the Western Front' for me, having interviewed 3/2.

Considering the Big News will probably be coming out for everyone on Wednesday/Tuesday of next week, I don't know why they'd even bother updating my status this week.

It is possible to get a feedback interview without having gotten to the interview stage. It will almost certainly be phone-based not in person.

Things are still 'All Quiet on the Western Front' for me, having interviewed 3/2.

Considering the Big News will probably be coming out for everyone on Wednesday/Tuesday of next week, I don't know why they'd even bother updating my status this week.

Why do you think the big news will come Monday/Tuesday next week? That's only May 7th-8th. Did you mean the following week?

Why do you think the big news will come Monday/Tuesday next week? That's only May 7th-8th. Did you mean the following week?
I mean May 9th/10th. May 15th is the date by/before which OHSU should have made 136 acceptance offers, per AAMC traffic rules. This year May 15th falls on a Tuesday itself, so unless the AdCom decides to change their regular meeting schedule (unlikely, considering how many people's busy work schedules are already planned around the regular standing timeslot) it's highly likely they'll tell us the week prior.

Looking at past years threads, The News has traditionally come out on the Wednesday and Thursday prior to May 15th, after the final AdCom meeting on a Tuesday. Past threads suggest that a few last acceptances could trickle out Friday-Tuesday before, then on Wednesday the waitlist and rejections start to come out. Last year both waitlist and rejections started coming out on May 12th (Weds) without any obvious order; some folks didn't hear til Thursday. The waitlist ranking numbers and the final mercy kill culling of the hold pool appear to be made as a cohesive decision, but the delivery spacing over two days may just reflect something like maybe there's just one poor admin assistant who has to update each applicant's record one by one.

This is all just my semi-informed wild neurotic guess, though. :p

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:
So is it your feeling that most on hold currently will be either wait listed/rejected? (I know nobody fully understands the workings of med school adcoms) But it seems like there have been quite a few acceptances lately and as time moves on it makes sense that the odds dwindle.

So is it your feeling that most on hold currently will be either wait listed/rejected? (I know nobody fully understands the workings of med school adcoms) But it seems like there have been quite a few acceptances lately and as time moves on it makes sense that the odds dwindle.
Basically, yes... What we've seen in past years suggests that anyone who is going to get accepted gets accepted before the Wednesday prior to May 15th, at which time the only options left for folks on hold are rejection or waitlist. Being waitlisted is not necessarily bad, especially with a number <40. Lately there has been what looks like a rash of acceptances, but I think this is because OHSU was being even stingier than usual about granting outright acceptances because they wanted to get a better sense of how their new MMI format and evaluation methods were turning out. When we got to the mid-March timeframe when the AAMC traffic rules suggest that a school ought to have extended enough offers to fill 50% of their class, OHSU probably still hadn't given that many out. As discussed backthread a ways, I think that's why we actually saw a few folks pulled off of hold and offered acceptances before May, something never before seen in 5+ years of SDN threads.

As for how many get culled from the hold pool on May 15th, it should be approximate to the total pool of interview candidates (480?), minus the outright rejections (probably the bottom 10% of interviewees so 48?), minus the acceptances offered by May 15th (equal to number of seats so 136), minus the carrying capacity of the waitlist (theoretical max 136 in the very odd event that every acceptance offered by May 15th is declined by the applicant). This suggests that as many as 160 little piggies go to slaughter on May 15th, but I'm sure that number is vastly reduced by the withdrawal rate.

I think it's possible that a few more acceptances could go out in the next week, so that they're "on track" to be where AAMC suggests they be by May 15th: 136 offers made and the ranked waitlist published and ready to fill all the gaps left by applicants who withdraw. The most important nuance to catch about that situation is the ratio of accepted vs. matriculated students varies wildly year to year. In fact, as time wears on I'd say your chances actually go up due to attrition in the hold pool before May 15th and then attrition on the waitlist after May 15th.

The best way to know how many might trickle out in the next week is we could get an idea of how many acceptances have gone out by now... any volunteers wanna call or better yet visit the office and do reconnaissance? ;)

Last edited:
I mean May 9th/10th. May 15th is the date by/before which OHSU should have made 136 acceptance offers, per AAMC traffic rules. This year May 15th falls on a Tuesday itself, so unless the AdCom decides to change their regular meeting schedule (unlikely, considering how many people's busy work schedules are already planned around the regular standing timeslot) it's highly likely they'll tell us the week prior.

Looking at past years threads, The News has traditionally come out on the Wednesday and Thursday prior to May 15th, after the final AdCom meeting on a Tuesday. Past threads suggest that a few last acceptances could trickle out Friday-Tuesday before, then on Wednesday the waitlist and rejections start to come out. Last year both waitlist and rejections started coming out on May 12th (Weds) without any obvious order; some folks didn't hear til Thursday. The waitlist ranking numbers and the final mercy kill culling of the hold pool appear to be made as a cohesive decision, but the delivery spacing over two days may just reflect something like maybe there's just one poor admin assistant who has to update each applicant's record one by one.

This is all just my semi-informed wild neurotic guess, though. :p

(Edited for clarity.)

How do you know the admission committee meets on Tuesday? I hope we hear the week before but that may have only happened in the past when May 15th fell on a Saturday or Sunday. OHSU loves to drag out this process as we have all experienced first-hand. Hopefully they don't drag it out all the way to the 15th.

How do you know the admission committee meets on Tuesday? I hope we hear the week before but that may have only happened in the past when May 15th fell on a Saturday or Sunday. OHSU loves to drag out this process as we have all experienced first-hand. Hopefully they don't drag it out all the way to the 15th.
I'm going on a bit of tribal lore here, remembering that they meet on Tuesdays and possibly also Thursdays. I can check actual sources and verify this in the next few days.

I'm going on a bit of tribal lore here, remembering that they meet on Tuesdays and possibly also Thursdays. I can check actual sources and verify this in the next few days.

My fingers are crossed that you're right! :)

Open question to all:

If you were going to be out of the country on a cruise next week (Saturday to Saturday), would you pay for an internet package to check your email in the hopes that OHSU will follow tradition and send out final decisions before May 15th? Or would you bask on the glorious beaches of paradise, care-free and ignorant?

Open question to all:

If you were going to be out of the country on a cruise next week (Saturday to Saturday), would you pay for an internet package to check your email in the hopes that OHSU will follow tradition and send out final decisions before May 15th? Or would you bask on the glorious beaches of paradise, care-free and ignorant?

kick up your feet, enjoy some margaritas (mini umbrellas included), and enjoy some paradise while you can

+1 for basking and being too busy enjoying real life to neurotically keep refreshing a glowing screen. When I took the MCAT a few years ago, I spent most of the monthlong scorewatch traveling, and it was the best thing I could have done.

Besides, if you're accepted, you're gonna need to stock up on Vitamin D anyway, right?

Open question to all:

Definitely relax! I love cruises! They are my favorite way to vacation. Where are you going?

My recommendation is to just enjoy your vacation. However, I know it can be stressful to not check this close and if not checking will cause you too much stress you can always buy like 15 minutes or something on the cruise. Or depending on where the cruise stops, I'm sure you could find an internet cafe there that would be way cheaper. Are you bringing your phone? Your best option could be to ask a close friend or family member to check for you and text you if there is news. International texts are only 50 cents each I believe. That way you don't have to worry about checking but you will know if news comes out.

My vote is still to relax and enjoy, but those are just a couple of suggestions if it seems to hard.

+1 for basking and being too busy enjoying real life to neurotically keep refreshing a glowing screen. When I took the MCAT a few years ago, I spent most of the monthlong scorewatch traveling, and it was the best thing I could have done.

Besides, if you're accepted, you're gonna need to stock up on Vitamin D anyway, right?

Good point about stocking up on the Vitamin D! Med school + Portland weather = worst combination for natural Vitamin D

Definitely relax! I love cruises! They are my favorite way to vacation. Where are you going?

My recommendation is to just enjoy your vacation. However, I know it can be stressful to not check this close and if not checking will cause you too much stress you can always buy like 15 minutes or something on the cruise. Or depending on where the cruise stops, I'm sure you could find an internet cafe there that would be way cheaper. Are you bringing your phone? Your best option could be to ask a close friend or family member to check for you and text you if there is news. International texts are only 50 cents each I believe. That way you don't have to worry about checking but you will know if news comes out.

My vote is still to relax and enjoy, but those are just a couple of suggestions if it seems to hard.

I'm going to the South Carribean and I'm super excited. I think I'll look into the international texts. My nosy boyfriend has already requested access to my email account and online portal because he can't wait for me to get back to find out my status for better or for worse. Although, based on previous years' threads, next week's news is only good for a few people (those high on the wait list) and disheartening for most. But here's to hoping!

So I got tired of waiting for information and decided to take action and call OHSU to get information. Here is what I was told.

1) The last committee meeting will be tomorrow (Thursday) to review the last group of people
2) They have about 30 spots to give out to those who haven't heard/those high on the hold pool (that number may go up depending on how many of the people who have pending acceptances say yes or no to the acceptance)
3) They are aiming for a wait list of 150 people this year
4) There is a high chance we will hear next week instead of waiting all the way till May 15th

So I got tired of waiting for information and decided to take action and call OHSU to get information. Here is what I was told.

1) The last committee meeting will be tomorrow (Thursday) to review the last group of people
2) They have about 30 spots to give out to those who haven't heard/those high on the hold pool (that number may go up depending on how many of the people who have pending acceptances say yes or no to the acceptance)
4) There is a high chance we will hear next week instead of waiting all the way till May 15th

OMG! That's exciting news. Thanks for taking one for the team and calling. Good luck! I hope to see a good news post from you when I return to the country (if you're not already accepted this Friday).

For those of you still waiting to hear back for the MD/PhD program, I called yesterday and found out that they are still working on filling the last spot. They said that there should be a final decision very soon.

hmm, a wait list of 150 this year, as opposed to what last year? Does anybody know how many wait list positions were actually offered last year? Also, I would love to hear how many people are actually on hold at the moment...

I remember them saying that they went down to number 109 on the wait list last year. They said that not all WL applicants accept a spot when offered, so it can move pretty quickly. I'm glad it's ranked though. At least we will know exactly where we stand.

OMG! That's exciting news. Thanks for taking one for the team and calling. Good luck! I hope to see a good news post from you when I return to the country (if you're not already accepted this Friday).

Thanks! I would love that as well. Trying not to get my hopes up to high though.

hmm, a wait list of 150 this year, as opposed to what last year? Does anybody know how many wait list positions were actually offered last year? Also, I would love to hear how many people are actually on hold at the moment...

I believe the wait list last year was around 125. In a previous post I had written that I had heard it got to 120. But I don't know that for sure.

You could call and ask how many people are on hold :) I'm sure we would all love that. I don't want to call again.

Thanks! I would love that as well. Trying not to get my hopes up to high though.

I believe the wait list last year was around 125. In a previous post I had written that I had heard it got to 120. But I don't know that for sure.

You could call and ask how many people are on hold :) I'm sure we would all love that. I don't want to call again.

I wish I had the guts to call in an ask! I wonder why they would be raising the wait list levels... Are they possibly expecting it to reach those numbers again, or is this just a precaution?

I'm going to the South Carribean and I'm super excited. I think I'll look into the international texts. My nosy boyfriend has already requested access to my email account and online portal because he can't wait for me to get back to find out my status for better or for worse. Although, based on previous years' threads, next week's news is only good for a few people (those high on the wait list) and disheartening for most. But here's to hoping!

Nice work, mybubbles!

And yes, I would try (I'd probably fail, but I'd try) to kick back and enjoy the sun, the water, and as many unnaturally colored, strangely decorated drinks as you can lay your hands on. Maybe while you're down there you can actually find out how they make Blue Curacao the color of copper sulfate.
Sounds like it won't be long now. Good luck, everybody!

Update: They meet Thursdays only now. :)

Yup. Tomorrow is their last meeting. I wonder if that means people will start getting wait list e-mails on Monday or if only the rejections will go out then.......
Or... gulp... Friday. :eek:

Or... gulp... Friday. :eek:

I hope it's Friday. I just can't stand waiting anymore and I'm at the point that I'd rather open myself up to bad news than remain obsessed with the unknown. Anyone else feel the same?

I hope it's Friday. I just can't stand waiting anymore and I'm at the point that I'd rather open myself up to bad news than remain obsessed with the unknown. Anyone else feel the same?

I completely agree. I want to know so I can plan accordingly. Sadly I think Friday will only be the last of the acceptances for people who haven't heard/the top of the hold pool. I don't think they will be able to get out all the rejections and wait list e-mails out on Friday. Last year it took them several days to give out all the results. We shall see though. Maybe all the SDN posters will get lucky and be accepted on Friday :) That would be awesome!

if only they could set up a raffle for the last 10 spots and we'd each get 2 entries per post on this thread (after all, it shows dedication to OHSU).

I completely agree. I want to know so I can plan accordingly. Sadly I think Friday will only be the last of the acceptances for people who haven't heard/the top of the hold pool. I don't think they will be able to get out all the rejections and wait list e-mails out on Friday. Last year it took them several days to give out all the results. We shall see though. Maybe all the SDN posters will get lucky and be accepted on Friday :) That would be awesome!

+1! I'm excited/nervous to hear! Good luck to everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.