2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea having 91% OOS applicants for 30% of the acceptances does not look good for me...no love for the secondaries here yet either.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've got the 3.65 with a 3.83, but I botched the MCAT and got a 30M. Am I a good candidate to apply OOS? My ECs are really strong (student body president, research, clinical volunteering, leadership) and I have strong LORs.

:xf:
I would say apply, but don't expect a lot without an MCAT over 32. Of course, this is coming from someone that thinks of you as "the competition." :)

dsoz

yea having 91% OOS applicants for 30% of the acceptances does not look good for me...no love for the secondaries here yet either.

I wouldn't worry about the secondary, not that many have been sent out yet and the screen to receive them is set fairly low. you may worry about the quote below, but read the corollary as well. good luck.

Just know that <32 is a rejection. No matter if your GPA is way above the 3.65 or you have great ECs. That was my situation last year, and I called, they told me that they don't make exceptions.

the corollary may give you more hope than the previous quote.

Not entirely true, as I got in with less this year.

and shazzbot is an OOS non-URM, like many of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone understand the order they send out secondaries? it clearly can't be on a first apply first receive basis. i thought ohsu doesn't' screen for secondaries so i don't get why they aren't being sent to everyone. maybe they are changing it this year due to the MMI format.

Some official data that might be of interest:

OHSU School of Medicine
2011 Entering Class

Students 128
Female 57​
Male 71​

Race/Ethnicity*
Amer. Indian or Alaskan Native 1
Asian or Asian Indian 21
Mexican, Mexican American/Chicano/Chicana 4
Other Pacific Islander 2
White 104
No Response 4
*Students may select more than one category, so the sum
of all categories is greater than the number of students in
the class.

Highest Degree at Entry
Baccalaureate 115
Masters 12
Doctorate 1​

Residence
Oregon 97
MD 95
MD/MPH 2​
Non-Resident 31
MD 21
MD/MPH 4
MD/PhD 3
WICHE 3​

Academic Profile
Age (Mean) 26
GPA (Mean)
Total 3.62
Science 3.57​
MCAT (Mean)
VR 10.0
PS 10.2
BS 11.0
WS (Median) P​

Previous Applicants 48

They were surprised by the high number of males, but it probably doesn't mean anything... Since many students were admitted off a waitlist, it's entirely possible, theoretically, that lots of females just passed on the offer to attend OHSU.

The class size is 128 students. This is an increase from last year, and is consistent with a trend from years past. I can't say whether the next incoming class (i.e., the people applying this year) will be any bigger, but one of the upper administrators said that the 2014 incoming class is planned to admit 160 students. (Note: That prediction really doesn't mean anything for the 2012 incoming class, because 2014 is also the year when they plan to have a new building open.)

how do you know that the 2014 incoming class will be 160? I think the 2012 class will be around 132, they seem to increase the size by about 4 every year.

how do you know that the 2014 incoming class will be 160? I think the 2012 class will be around 132, they seem to increase the size by about 4 every year.

Class of 2015 has 128: 120 MD + 4 MD/MPH + 4 MD/PhD

During orientation this past week, an SOM administrator told us there will be 160 in the class of 2014.

Also, OHSU is building a new campus for the Medical and Dental School down on the waterfront (near the base of the tram).

"...construction should start by the end of 2011 and be complete by the spring of 2014. It is our goal to move our education programs into the new building for the fall quarter of 2014."

Read more about the Collaborative Life Science Building project. When the building is complete, they will be able to admit more people into the MD program. Physical space (lecture halls and labs) seems to be the limiting factor at this point. Also, the school is implementing some new programs starting this year in preparation for an expansion of the class size...so this isn't a goal or pipe-dream, it's planned. And it comes with a new building.

Last edited:
does anyone understand the order they send out secondaries? it clearly can't be on a first apply first receive basis. i thought ohsu doesn't' screen for secondaries so i don't get why they aren't being sent to everyone. maybe they are changing it this year due to the MMI format.

Mybubbles take it from Hopefulydoc, myself and all the other Class of 2015ers. OHSU does nothing on any reasonable time frame, ever.

They won't make sense in how they send out secondaries, in how they offer interviews, or how they offer final notifications. It doesn't necessarily reflect on any individual applicant's chances at all. Good news is that nobody has to worry about what any delay might mean. The bad news is that nobody can really know when they should worry.

I'm sure they have a system but from what I've gathered it won't be predictable at all. That being said I'm confident the MMI will in fact change everything.

(Just realized you're a reapplicant Bubbles so you already know all this but for everyone else.)

Mybubbles take it from Hopefulydoc, myself and all the other Class of 2015ers. OHSU does nothing on any reasonable time frame, ever.

Thanks, Gara. I understand that OHSU does everything a little late--it's just a little hard to rely on that for comfort with the wait for a secondary creeping up on three months--I think I had my interview scheduled by this time last year.
Good luck with 1st year!

So I submitted my primary 6/7 and haven't heard anything from OHSU. Silent rejection or should I plan on possibly getting a secondary from them still? Stats and ECs are in my MD apps (~3.55, 36S), and I figured I'd at least get a secondary from them, but who knows.

So I submitted my primary 6/7 and haven't heard anything from OHSU. Silent rejection or should I plan on possibly getting a secondary from them still? Stats and ECs are in my MD apps (~3.55, 36S), and I figured I'd at least get a secondary from them, but who knows.

I am an MD/PhD applicant and submitted my app around then, but I emailed admissions and they said the secondaries are coming out in batches and expect to receive one in three to four weeks (that was the first week of August).

Hope that helps.

Definitely not a silent rejection. You'd get a secondary even if your stats were 3.0/26S--the question is just when. (September? October? Bueller?)
And Giraffe Guy, who did you email? I sent an email through the admissions webpage a couple weeks ago and called as well but have yet to hear anything back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not a silent rejection. You'd get a secondary even if your stats were 3.0/26S--the question is just when. (September? October? Bueller?)
And Giraffe Guy, who did you email? I sent an email through the admissions webpage a couple weeks ago and called as well but have yet to hear anything back.

MD/PhD admissions.

I found a general OHSU phone number, then asked to be transferred to the School of Medicine Admissions person. I talked to a real person and got all my questions answered.

on the page http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/contact-us/index.cfm

Mailing Address
3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Rd.
Portland, Oregon 97239-3098

Switchboard
503 494-8311
For Students

• School of Dentistry 503-494-5274
  • School of Medicine 503-494-8220
  • School of Nursing 503-494-7725
  • Registrar's Office 503-494-7800
  • Academic & Student Affairs 503-494-7878
dsoz

Huh. All I managed was voicemail. Serves me right for calling after lunch, I guess.

I found a general OHSU phone number, then asked to be transferred to the School of Medicine Admissions person. I talked to a real person and got all my questions answered.

If you get any information, let us know! I suspect that they're just super slow this year, for whatever reason.

I was verified on the 15th, received the secondary today.

Finally got the secondary invite via email. Whew. :oops:

OOS, AMCAS verified 6/1. My secondary deadline is 9/28 (so maybe they're being released monthly?)

Same, just received secondary.

Finally got the secondary invite via email. Whew. :oops:

OOS, AMCAS verified 6/1. My secondary deadline is 9/28 (so maybe they're being released monthly?)

Same! Verified 6/1, received secondary today.

I wonder iof it has something to do with both of us being re-applicants

I wonder iof it has something to do with both of us being re-applicants
Could be. I am also a reapplicant and have not received the secondary. I was verified ~8 weeks ago iirc.

Could be. I am also a reapplicant and have not received the secondary. I was verified ~8 weeks ago iirc.

Your guess is as good as mine--though given the unscreened nature of the secondary and the statement on the admissions site that they go out 2-4 weeks after receipt it's more than a little odd.

Your guess is as good as mine--though given the unscreened nature of the secondary and the statement on the admissions site that they go out 2-4 weeks after receipt it's more than a little odd.

Maybe they screen it if you are a reapplicant, but I'm just guessing.

Ha! I just left a voicemail for Mae Culbertson, only to log on to gmail and find a two-minute-old secondary invite. Oh, the irony!

Where's mine? well I'm happy for you anyways

Where's mine? well I'm happy for you anyways

Call the office and you'll get it five minutes ago. :laugh: But seriously, if you haven't gotten it tomorrow and you've been AMCAS verified for at least eight to ten weeks, I'd give a call. Probably won't help any, but I don't see how they could hold it against you--it's not like you're calling the day after primary submission and demanding an interview.

Call the office and you'll get it five minutes ago. :laugh: But seriously, if you haven't gotten it tomorrow and you've been AMCAS verified for at least eight to ten weeks, I'd give a call. Probably won't help any, but I don't see how they could hold it against you--it's not like you're calling the day after primary submission and demanding an interview.

Mine just came in, Finally! Too bad this is the hardest secondary of all time.

Anyone debating whether to complete this secondary or not?
After completing 35 applications, I dunno if I want to commit to this one when I know the OOS ratio is not great. It's kinda weird cuz I was the one all the time telling others to apply since there's nothing to lose.

I just got mine a half hour ago. Maybe they're going out in waves all day. I've been verified since 7/22, so it doesn't really seem to be based on when you verified your AMCAS. This is my state school so I've been dying to get going with it. Good luck everyone!

Got mine today! Finally! Never been so happy to have 6 essays to do!

Anyone debating whether to complete this secondary or not?

so done with secondaries. no more. Besides Vandy, which may never come, this was the last one I was waiting on. Now I'm wondering how to withdraw...

so done with secondaries. no more. Besides Vandy, which may never come, this was the last one I was waiting on. Now I'm wondering how to withdraw...
Vandy actually never comes. We can just wait until expiration date and i guess that will take us out of it

.Hi guys,

I need help answering this question

Question 2: .
.What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician?

My take on it is: If accepted, what would be your greatest challenge (in medical school?) in successfully getting an MD degree?

Any suggestion/ paraphrase?

Thanks, and good luck to all!

After explaining to someone the mysterious black box which is the OHSU admissions process, I received the secondary invite! Just one day after being verified by amcas...

.Hi guys,

I need help answering this question

Question 2: .
.What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician?

My take on it is: If accepted, what would be your greatest challenge (in medical school?) in successfully getting an MD degree?

Any suggestion/ paraphrase?

Thanks, and good luck to all!

It's whatever you feel like answering, really. You're currently a pre-med. (I'm just making a wild assumption here) Someday you hope to be a physician. What will be your greatest challenge in negotiating that transition? Or more accurately, what challenge do you feel it would be most advantageous to discuss in your OSHU secondary?
Are you afraid of the sight of blood? Terrified of talking to strangers? Uncomfortable studying for more than forty minutes at a time? (NOTE: These would all be amusingly terrible answers.)

So I just read through their admissions criteria and the say they look for OOS students with criteria:

GPA : 3.65+
MCAT: 32+

Is this absolute? My MCAT is 36S but my GPA is around a 3.55. Is it worth it to finish the secondary even? I'd like to think I have great ECs, and I have a steep upward trend (last 3 of my total 4 years of school were 3.65 or above), but I don't want to submit and pay this secondary fee if it's going to be an auto-rejection.

So I just read through their admissions criteria and the say they look for OOS students with criteria:

GPA : 3.65+
MCAT: 32+

Is this absolute? My MCAT is 36S but my GPA is around a 3.55. Is it worth it to finish the secondary even? I'd like to think I have great ECs, and I have a steep upward trend (last 3 of my total 4 years of school were 3.65 or above), but I don't want to submit and pay this secondary fee if it's going to be an auto-rejection.

I don't think it is auto rejection, but it would put you into one of their "mission groups" which would make it much easier to gain admission.

The best thing for you to do would be to call OHSU and ask to speak to an MD admissions person.

Good luck to you.
dsoz

Status
Not open for further replies.