2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know if theres a facebook group for this years class?

Members don't see this ad.

it looks like there is/was a group-but i think the moderator withdrew his/her application in favor of another school so i don't think it's active anymore, and there are only two members currently. should we make another group?

I was wondering the same thing! I requested to be added to that group a while ago but it doesn't seem to be active. I say we make another one!

Members don't see this ad :)
It'd be great to get to know some future classmates. Where are you guys all coming from?

Hey guys,

I also requested to join the class of 2016 facebook group about two months ago and haven't heard back. It would be great to meet each other and since the first group is down, I thought I'd make another one...here it is!!

Penn State College of Medicine Class of 2016
http://www.facebook.com/groups/358581254169533/

Please forward this to any other future students and can't wait to meet you all!!

Hi everyone,

Has anybody who interviewed on 12/19 heard anything yet?

Hi everyone,

Has anybody who interviewed on 12/19 heard anything yet?

I interviewed on 12/12 and haven't heard anything yet but someone else from my day has so im guessing they got through part of the 12ths applications at the last meeting so we will prolly hear after the next meeting

Got the waitlist letter today. Bummer. Anyone know if the waitlist shows movement before March?

Got home from a birthday dinner for my boyfriend to find the big envelope in my mail box!

Penn state was one of my top two (really a tie for first) so I'm uber happy!! Interviewed 12/12 30P/3.88 gpa

Got home from a birthday dinner for my boyfriend to find the big envelope in my mail box!

Penn state was one of my top two (really a tie for first) so I'm uber happy!! Interviewed 12/12 30P/3.88 gpa

Yay!! Congrats!

I am on post-interview hold. What's worse is that Penn State is the only school that I have received an interview from. Obviously I would go there in a heart beat if I get accepted. I've been studying for the MCAT again in case I need to apply a second time :(. Anyone in a similar situation?

I am on post-interview hold. What's worse is that Penn State is the only school that I have received an interview from. Obviously I would go there in a heart beat if I get accepted. I've been studying for the MCAT again in case I need to apply a second time :(. Anyone in a similar situation?

I was in your shoes last year. :-( 2 waitlists and didn't get off either. I wish you the best of luck! At least a post interview hold isn't a rejection!

Members don't see this ad :)
whoops, brain error.

Last edited:

I feel you man, im on preinterview hold from penn state. But I am wait listed at evms. Thats my only interview so far. So I wish you the best of luck. Try sending in updates and LOI

I'm no response at Penn State (from Sept completion) and waiting for a decision from my one interview elsewhere. Also, studying for the MCAT again., so I definitely sympathize with your situation.

Hopefully it will be in vain, but better prepared than not, right?

Better late than never - Interview invite! Complete 12/15 and OOS.

I submitted my secondary oct. 14 and got an interview invite jan. 24. About a 3 month wait!

has anyone heard from 1/11 interviews? I am beginning to get paranoid now :scared:

did anyone who interviewed on 12/23 hear back yet?

Complete in October and STILL no interview invite. This waiting is getting old.

Anyone who's going to be attending in the fall who isn't living in campus housing? Wondering what other people are considering. I'll be moving down with my gf in June, hoping to find a place to rent in Hershey/Harrisburg.

On another note, are there any class-mates in the NYC area interested in a meetup?

I was in your shoes last year. :-( 2 waitlists and didn't get off either. I wish you the best of luck! At least a post interview hold isn't a rejection!

I'm trying to remain optimistic :).

I feel you man, im on preinterview hold from penn state. But I am wait listed at evms. Thats my only interview so far. So I wish you the best of luck. Try sending in updates and LOI

I don't think they accept update letters or LOI, but it doesn't hurt to try though :).

I'm no response at Penn State (from Sept completion) and waiting for a decision from my one interview elsewhere. Also, studying for the MCAT again., so I definitely sympathize with your situation.

Hopefully it will be in vain, but better prepared than not, right?

The hardest thing while studying for the MCAT is constantly thinking about that moment you might get a decision. I just wish they would tell you sooner whether you're accepted or not haha.

cancelled my interview here after deciding I would fit in better at a school I'm already accepted to. good luck to anyone still waiting

I interviewed that day as well and haven't heard anything yet..

I interviewed on 11/23/11 and still haven't heard back! I called the office twice and both times I got the terrible excuse that the holidays are holding letters up. Can anyone shed some light on this situation and relieve my panic?

Is there any chance of interview for those of us on pre-interview hold or is that basically like a rejection right now?

i'mmmm pretty sure my app is totally lost at this point.

Has anyone that interviewed on Dec 21 or around that time heard back?

I interviewed on Dec 16th and haven't heard back yet either

What is the gym like here? Also, how many students per cadaver during lab? Can anyone compare Penn State to SUNY Downstate? PSU is looking like the school I'm gonna matriculate to at this point, SUNY was ghetto as f*** and in a gross area.

What is the gym like here? Also, how many students per cadaver during lab? Can anyone compare Penn State to SUNY Downstate? PSU is looking like the school I'm gonna matriculate to at this point, SUNY was ghetto as f*** and in a gross area.

At my interview one of the med students I talked to said there are 4 students to a cadaver.

I interviewed on Dec 16th and haven't heard back yet either

if they said between 6-8 weeks, i think you would hear from them in the next 1 or 2 weeks. I dislike this waiting time.

One of the med students said the gym was AMAZING, and everyone uses it, from students through attendings.

What's the difference between waitlist vs. post-interview hold?

What's the difference between waitlist vs. post-interview hold?

Different schools will have slightly different definitions, but from my understanding,

Waitlist = waiting for an accepted student to decline, then offered admission
Post-interview hold = they want to see more applicants before making a decision of acceptance or waitlist

Different schools will have slightly different definitions, but from my understanding,

Waitlist = waiting for an accepted student to decline, then offered admission
Post-interview hold = they want to see more applicants before making a decision of acceptance or waitlist

I looked it up...waitlist = post-interview hold for this school.

I've read a few posts on here detailing what the interview was like but would be very grateful if those who have interviewed can help me to know more specifics on what to expect. I will be interviewing with the 10:30am session. I typically do well in interviewing situations but also recognize that medical school interviews are a totally different animal in some regards. I am a late applicant, so this will be my first interview out of four currently scheduled. It also happens to be my number one choice of the four as I grew up just 30 minutes to the south of Hershey and have a lot of family here + I have tremendous respect for the school and their focus. Also, does anyone know approximately what fraction of in-state applicants they accept of those offered interviews?

I've read a few posts on here detailing what the interview was like but would be very grateful if those who have interviewed can help me to know more specifics on what to expect. I will be interviewing with the 10:30am session. I typically do well in interviewing situations but also recognize that medical school interviews are a totally different animal in some regards. I am a late applicant, so this will be my first interview out of four currently scheduled. It also happens to be my number one choice of the four as I grew up just 30 minutes to the south of Hershey and have a lot of family here + I have tremendous respect for the school and their focus. Also, does anyone know approximately what fraction of in-state applicants they accept of those offered interviews?

When you arrive at the admissions office, there will already be other applicants there interviewing from the earlier session (9-11am). You sit and wait with them until the presentation at 11:15 (presenting the school, curriculum, etc). Then you are taken to lunch by medical students, then a tour of the school (wear comfortable shoes!!). The morning applicants will leave and then you'll have your interviews. There are 3 45-minute interview slots but you only have 2 of them (I had the 1st and 3rd slots so I just waited outside the admissions office for 45 min).

The interviews were very low stress, neither asked me ethical questions. They just want to get to know you beyond your AMCAS. Review your AMCAS because you may be asked to expand on certain things, and you might have forgotten what you specifically said.

According to MSAR, last year 1057 in staters applied, 288 were granted interviews, and 72 matriculated. Obviously more than 72 were accepted, but I couldn't find the number anywhere. I'd venture to say around 50% maybe? Penn State is state-related so they show slight bias to in state residents.

I grew up 20-30 minutes south of Hershey as well :) It would be nice to live close to home again! Good luck at your interview!!

^^agree with all of the above, both of my interviews were very relaxed and very conversational. Though I do want to mention that the second interviewer (a professor of humanities) asked about my thoughts on the current health care changes. But everyone that I interviewed with agree'd that they were stress-free and I actually enjoyed my interviews as well!!

Also, they told us during the presentation that about 50% of the interviewed students get in and that last year about 900 students (IS and OSS together) were interviewed...idk if anyone else heard that as well but here is the class profile for last year: http://www.pennstatehershey.org/web/md/admissions/overview/profile

Best of luck!!!!

Interview Invite. :eek: :D :D :D Complete Early October, this is my first communication from the school since my "complete".

If you haven't received an interview invitation yet, all is not lost. I'm a first-year student at Penn State, and I didn't interview until March 16 last year.

Also, to whomever was wondering about the number of students to a cadaver, most groups had 4 but mine had 5. And the gym is pretty nice. Rarely do you have to wait for a treadmill. Good luck, and let me know if anyone has any questions-- I like to stop by the thread periodically.

My interview was 12/21 and I heard back on Friday! Accepted! Pretty much 8 weeks of waiting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.