2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't received an interview invitation yet, all is not lost. I'm a first-year student at Penn State, and I didn't interview until March 16 last year.

Also, to whomever was wondering about the number of students to a cadaver, most groups had 4 but mine had 5. And the gym is pretty nice. Rarely do you have to wait for a treadmill. Good luck, and let me know if anyone has any questions-- I like to stop by the thread periodically.

were you waitlisted first? I have an interview on the 16th and I'm thinking at this point it may be for a spot on the waiting list...which is a shame because I'd LOVE to attend Penn State

Members don't see this ad.

Received II yesterday!! Booked my interview for 3/19! Is the post above correct? I am interviewing for a waitlist?? In any case, I am truly excited!! Good Luck to everyone else!!

Does anyone know how soon they get back to you post-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received II yesterday!! Booked my interview for 3/19! Is the post above correct? I am interviewing for a waitlist?? In any case, I am truly excited!! Good Luck to everyone else!!

Does anyone know how soon they get back to you post-interview?

They don't get back to you for at least 6-8 weeks. Congrats & good luck!!

Anyone on preinterview hold hear a word yet? Been on pre-view hold since November and not a word yet

I forgot to mention that I was on pre-interview hold since Sept/Nov. But got an II yesterday! :) Good luck!

If you haven't received an interview invitation yet, all is not lost. I'm a first-year student at Penn State, and I didn't interview until March 16 last year.

Also, to whomever was wondering about the number of students to a cadaver, most groups had 4 but mine had 5. And the gym is pretty nice. Rarely do you have to wait for a treadmill. Good luck, and let me know if anyone has any questions-- I like to stop by the thread periodically.
Thanks Nittany. I just got an interview for 3/9. Do you know if it will help or hurt me that I am a PSU undergrad. (Schreyer Honors College, Univ. Park). Some school don't like to accept "their own", but don't know if this is true at Hershey or not.

I was put on the hold list after my interview, but I can't say for sure that everyone who interviewed in March was. I had a relatively low GPA and MCAT but substantial extracurriculars and volunteer experience, which made Penn State a good fit for me, because I just went to a lunch lecture during which the professor explained that we use a "holistic" acceptance process, which does not automatically reject an applicant if his or her numbers don't meet an arbitrary value--the whole applicant is very carefully considered.

I actually was a Schreyer student as well. And there are at least 20/143 from our class who graduated from Penn State. I think they appreciate the quality of a Penn State education. WE ARE!!

Some of those at at my interview "outed" themselves as SDN fans, so if you're here awesome-hospital-guy-with-baby and witty-girl-with-classy-pearl-earrings we should chat. :D

But seriously, the interviews were very laid back. I did get asked some "tough" questions (what are you going to do in three years if you don't get in, why not just do that now, what is your weakest points as an applicant, why not D.O.) but it was all so conversational that I felt comfortable being myself and answering honestly. Others in our group were asked how they would fix the healthcare system. Hands down, the nicest admission's committee around!

i actually was a schreyer student as well. And there are at least 20/143 from our class who graduated from penn state. I think they appreciate the quality of a penn state education. We are!!
. . . And will always be, penn state!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I got the 'continue to review' letter in the mail earlier this month. Does penn state take letters of interest pre-interview? update letters?

Hi I got the 'continue to review' letter in the mail earlier this month. Does penn state take letters of interest pre-interview? update letters?
+1 I think it's pretty late in the cycle, and this school moves slow. I'm guessing it's an inevitable rejection.

No. PSU does not allow any update letters. They will accept transcripts from the Fall semester, however.

hey src922, you sure that they don't allow update letters? Did they say that on the website or application site?

Here is a response I got when I asked:

Thank you for your email. Regarding changes, updates and/or letters of interest, all applications are judged on the original submission. Only official transcripts can be accepted as updates at this time. Interviews are conducted from September through the end of March.

Please let me know what else I can do to help and thank you for your interest in Penn State College of Medicine.

Sincerely,

Mady Fleck

Admissions Staff

What is the gym like here? Also, how many students per cadaver during lab? Can anyone compare Penn State to SUNY Downstate? PSU is looking like the school I'm gonna matriculate to at this point, SUNY was ghetto as f*** and in a gross area.

Gym is in great shape with just about everything available. We also have plenty of intramural opportunities. 4-5 students per cadaver. Hershey is the polar-opposite of "ghetto as F***". It's not gross - some days the smell of chocolate is pretty overwhelming, but take that as a good thing. (Burning peanuts at the Reese's plant isn't too pleasant though).

I'd be happy to answer more questions if anyone has any.

- MSI

I was put on the hold list after my interview, but I can't say for sure that everyone who interviewed in March was. I had a relatively low GPA and MCAT but substantial extracurriculars and volunteer experience, which made Penn State a good fit for me, because I just went to a lunch lecture during which the professor explained that we use a "holistic" acceptance process, which does not automatically reject an applicant if his or her numbers don't meet an arbitrary value--the whole applicant is very carefully considered.

Penn State does this better than most schools. Each year, there are numerous acceptances off of the hold-list, especially in June. If you look through previous years acceptances off the hold list after May 15, add 10 (not all are posted to SDN). Trust me, I was one of them.

Interview Invite this morning after being on hold! Will probably give it up though

Could someone tell me if being on pre interview hold is the same as that continue to review letter? thank you

Interview Invite this morning after being on hold! Will probably give it up though

Crop, when were you on pre-interview hold since? Congrats on the interview btw!

Crop, when were you on pre-interview hold since? Congrats on the interview btw!

I think since like september or something...but i just withdrew my application so hopefully you get it

Interviewed 1/20... I know I still have 5 days and 2 weeks until the 8 week mark, but is it just me or is time dragging on and on and on... I feel like I'm standing over a trap door with a slip knot around my neck... Playing the worst WAITING game of all eternity.

Penn State just tell me yes or no!!! (YES is preferred) I want to get out of CA and you are my only hope!

Anyone know how many they`ve accepted by now?

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew if OOS students can get instate tuition after the first year or something by becoming a resident of PA? I know in NY it is possible (my home state), but I have no idea about PA rules. If anyone knows, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew if OOS students can get instate tuition after the first year or something by becoming a resident of PA? I know in NY it is possible (my home state), but I have no idea about PA rules. If anyone knows, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

No, I believe you have to reside in PA for at least 12 months before enrolling in school to be considered for PA residency. You can't earn PA residency unless you can prove that you're not here solely for education (aka if your whole family up and moves to PA).

No, I believe you have to reside in PA for at least 12 months before enrolling in school to be considered for PA residency. You can't earn PA residency unless you can prove that you're not here solely for education (aka if your whole family up and moves to PA).

Ehh kinda. I believe the rules are something like working in PA full time for a full year and paying a full year of PA state taxes. Maybe another stipulation or two, but those are the two big ones.

Any one know if they're still handing out Invites?

Just got an interview invite! Earliest dates available were: 3/19, 3/21, 3/23

Interviewed 1/20... I know I still have 5 days and 2 weeks until the 8 week mark, but is it just me or is time dragging on and on and on... I feel like I'm standing over a trap door with a slip knot around my neck... Playing the worst WAITING game of all eternity.

Penn State just tell me yes or no!!! (YES is preferred) I want to get out of CA and you are my only hope!

COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND!!!! Interviewed end of January as well.... 8 days til the 6 week mark (which I'm pretty sure is too early...) and 22 days til the 8 week mark.

Such a brutal process.... especially since we have to wait for a notice via snail mail..... bahhh.

Last edited:
I wonder if it would seem too desperate/annoying to call them on the 8 week mark to ask for a status via telephone. I mean, what if the giant packet gets lost/damaged via transit right?? or maybe not..

I've been placed ON HOLD post interview. Does anyone know what the prospects of getting accepted off of the waitlist are?

Hey Guys!!!!

Got an II!!! I am soooooooo excited and SUPER thankful!!! I was wondering if any of you guys know if there is a school specific interview questions link for Penn State. Your help will be much appreciated! For those who got in CONGRATS !!! and for those waiting/interviewing GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Hey Guys!!!!

Got an II!!! I am soooooooo excited and SUPER thankful!!! I was wondering if any of you guys know if there is a school specific interview questions link for Penn State. Your help will be much appreciated! For those who got in CONGRATS !!! and for those waiting/interviewing GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Under the "Articles & Interviews" tab at the top, click on "Interview Feedback." Then you'll see a list of schools and you can click on Penn State. Good luck!!

I wonder if it would seem too desperate/annoying to call them on the 8 week mark to ask for a status via telephone. I mean, what if the giant packet gets lost/damaged via transit right?? or maybe not..

The admissions lady said "We'll send you a letter in 6-8 weeks. But please don't call us if it takes 8 weeks and two days".

I keep repeating that statement to myself as I check my (empty) mailbox every day.

When I interviewed in mid Feb I was told by the admissions office that it could potentially even be 10 weeks so I would suggest giving them at least 9 weeks or so before calling.

[YOUTUBE]xIFJLMyUwrg[/YOUTUBE]
May the Force be with you!

I checked my mailbox... I NEVER check the mail, I think I have a subconscious phobia of mailboxes... and there it was... the ANSWER... YES!!! I love you Penn State! I got my reply 1 day short of 6 weeks. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Goodbye LA, goodbye SoCal, goodbye 405 traffic! I am moving to Pennsylvania!!! HA! To all those trying to get into California schools, I am giving up my spots (hopefully they will give them away to OOS students, fair trade)

congratS! did u get a criminal background check before that in ur email?

I checked my mailbox... I NEVER check the mail, I think I have a subconscious phobia of mailboxes... and there it was... the ANSWER... YES!!! I love you Penn State! I got my reply 1 day short of 6 weeks. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Goodbye LA, goodbye SoCal, goodbye 405 traffic! I am moving to Pennsylvania!!! HA! To all those trying to get into California schools, I am giving up my spots (hopefully they will give them away to OOS students, fair trade)

congratS! did u get a criminal background check before that in ur email?
Thanks! I didn't get anything in the mail, but in the packet that I received they said they did a background check on me... Maybe my criminal background check is still en route? I am not sure how it works, but if it's the state of CA that is responsible for notifying me of the criminal background check I am sure I'll get it in a couple of months.

I interviewed on the 9th of January and received notification yesterday that I had been waitlisted.

First, CONGRATS on the Acceptance:D!!!!

So just to be clear you interviewed on Friday January 20th? and you heard back in 5 weeks and 6 days?!?!?!

I interviewed the 23rd (the following Monday) and I am just dying to hear back. This gives me hope that it could be closer to 6 weeks rather than 8, especially since I doubt they interviewed on the weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.