2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I interviewed March 28th. Haven't heard anything back yet. I know it's less than the minimum 6 weeks, but should I just give up the idea of getting accepted right away and just hope for a waitlist status?
I'm still waiting as well. When I interviewed, they said they'd try to let everyone know before May 15. It'll be interesting to see if they'll keep that deadline.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know who I need to e-mail in order to withdraw my acceptance? I sent an e-mail to [email protected] a few days ago but haven't received a response/confirmation. I want to make sure my withdrawal gets processed so that I'll maybe get some good karma in return. :D

What's the best way to find out if any current students are selling, or planning to sell, their furniture? Is there a website of some sort? I'd rather go through an official school-related site rather than craigslist...

Also, is it possible to get around without a car your fist year? (ie... for grocery shopping or volunteering)

There is a 2016 FB group that has some MSI, MSII in it (http://www.facebook.com/groups/358581254169533/427141553980169/?notif_t=group_activity). Nothing is more official than Facebook Official...

There is a bus that drives around here. I have no idea where it goes, or what the schedule is. There isn't a grocery in walking distance from On-campus housing or Briarcrest. Most people here have cars, but there are a few that don't. Make friends quickly!

In all seriousness when the time gets closer, your MSII "big" will probably be able to help you the first week or so. A lot of us will be willing to help out the first years get settled in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the first day of classes is? I have scoured their website and can't find the information. Is there a calendar somewhere?

Hey all, I just joined so I can contribute to information out there for other applicants. I was originally on the "Hold" list for interviews. I interviewed March 23rd, and yesterday my parents received notice that I have been put on the "Hold List."

So, it's possible to be put on hold for interviews and still get an invitation to interview. I'm hoping my chances are just as good at getting an acceptance letter, but time will tell.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hmmm... I previously visited that website but didn't see any academic calendar past orientation. Thanks anyhow! :)

I've not found an academic calendar on their site, which is frustrating, but I called a couple weeks ago to confirm. Classes always start the Monday following orientation.

Got a letter a couple of days ago that I'm on the "Hold List". Hoping to hear good news soon!

Does anyone know how to withdraw from Penn State? Should I just send an email? I loved the school but ultimately got a better financial aid package at a program closer to home. I hope my withdrawing helps out one of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to withdraw from Penn State? Should I just send an email? I loved the school but ultimately got a better financial aid package at a program closer to home. I hope my withdrawing helps out one of you!

I was wondering this too. I wasn't sure if I just don't send in the deposit and I'm automatically withdrawn or if I have to formally withdraw. What address would I email?

Aww! I don't blame you for picking else where but I'm bummed we won't be class mates! Anyway, good luck!!!

Definitely a bummer :(. I wish I had gotten better aid at penn state! Good luck StephBee penn state was awesome!

Does anyone know anything about waitlist movement at Penn State? I would imagine that there is a lot of movement from the hold list in the next few weeks with the whole May 15th deadline, but would appreciate anyone's insight who may know more specific information.

Does anyone know anything about waitlist movement at Penn State? I would imagine that there is a lot of movement from the hold list in the next few weeks with the whole May 15th deadline, but would appreciate anyone's insight who may know more specific information.
it looks like we're on the same wait lists. I have no idea about either.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back post interview? I interviewed 3/30 and haven't heard anything yet! Crossing my fingers and praying! :)

I will be one happy Pichu if I get off the waitlist. XD

Here and Albany? haha I just wish this whole process wasn't such a mystical black box. I have an acceptance that I am grateful for, but I hate still feeling like I don't really know for sure where I will end up. I just wonder how much of a long shot these wait lists will be because I am ready to finally feel fully committed to a school and move forward. Penn State would be ideal for a lot of logistical reasons. Good luck!

You pretty much just gave all of the specific information we're going to get. If you want more, check last year's thread. The same goes for Albany.

I interviewed on 3/26. I'm on 3 waitlists including Hershey and it's the pits, let me tell you. Trying to keep positive though! :xf:

I interviewed on 3/26. I'm on 3 waitlists including Hershey and it's the pits, let me tell you. Trying to keep positive though! :xf:
I feel ya!!!! But yes let's stay positive :). The office of admissions emailed me back saying that my decision got sent out earlier this week so any day now...

Do people get rejected post-interview or is everyone essentially put on the hold list? Still waiting...

Do people get rejected post-interview or is everyone essentially put on the hold list? Still waiting...
I don't know the answer to that but I'm waiting to hear back too! When did you interview? I interviewed 3/30. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for all of us! :)

At first I was bummed about the hold list, but seeing that people are declining acceptance, I feel a bit more optimistic. :) Good luck everyone!

To those of you that received your financial aid statements--

Did they come via email or snail-mail? And is there any way to check them online?

To those of you that received your financial aid statements--

Did they come via email or snail-mail? And is there any way to check them online?

They came snail mail. I don't think there's a way to check online. If you're concerned you missed something, I'd just call the financial aid office. The woman who runs the office seemed very helpful at Second Look Day.

i just withdrawed..so hopefully itll be someone's first acceptance!

Does anyone know any details on how wait list movement works? I got a vague answer from my phone conversation with admissions. From my understanding the admissions committee meets again to re-evaluate people on the waitlist for acceptances if there are any openings. Also, I was told that acceptances off the wailist were by phone.

Does anyone know any details on how wait list movement works? I got a vague answer from my phone conversation with admissions. From my understanding the admissions committee meets again to re-evaluate people on the waitlist for acceptances if there are any openings. Also, I was told that acceptances off the wailist were by phone.
And wait list = post interview hold?

Any WL movement recently?? Looking at last year's thread, Penn State should start pulling post-interview hold applicants off the WL very soon!

Does anyone know if there even are any open spots for people to get off the hold/wait list?

Hey everyone, I found out some information today.

Yesterday, I left a voicemail with one of the people involved in one of the graduate programs at Penn State, and I had mentioned that I was on the Hold List. This morning, he called me back, and he was surprised that we hadn't been notified about this year's situation. It turns out that instead of the typical one-third of people who accept the original acceptances sent out by the school, one-half of them did. Given that, they are way over the number of students they expected to have in the coming class.

I just wanted to pass this along to all of you. It's a bummer, to be sure, but at least now we know! I'll be competing for the Class of 2013 now, but good luck to the rest of you!

Yesterday, I left a voicemail with one of the people involved in one of the graduate programs at Penn State, and I had mentioned that I was on the Hold List. This morning, he called me back, and he was surprised that we hadn't been notified about this year's situation. It turns out that instead of the typical one-third of people who accept the original acceptances sent out by the school, one-half of them did. Given that, they are way over the number of students they expected to have in the coming class.

I just wanted to pass this along to all of you. It's a bummer, to be sure, but at least now we know! I'll be competing for the Class of 2013 now, but good luck to the rest of you!

-.- If this is true...epic face palm!!! & unhappy Pichu.

Well that bites the big one. The least they could do is send us an update.

Thanks for information. Has anyone called admissions to confirm this?

Doesn't that just mean that there will be less seats available? They way you put it, makes it seem like there are little to no seats remaining for those that are waitlisted. Instead of 2/3 seats filled via wait/hold list, it is now 1/2... or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.