2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You don't sound like you have a very realistic view of grad school. That isn't how it works in anyone's world and I doubt you will remember much the day you got accepted, what with all of the work and stress you'll endure along the way to the actual degree. Is this some sort of fantasy or a life goal, really??

She said she was daydreaming/dreaming.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't sound like you have a very realistic view of grad school. That isn't how it works in anyone's world and I doubt you will remember much the day you got accepted, what with all of the work and stress you'll endure along the way to the actual degree. Is this some sort of fantasy or a life goal, really??

I think this is a bit harsh. I find myself day dreaming about impossible (yet wonderful) situations like that. She isn't saying she actually thinks this will happen.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think anyone is arguing that grad school isn't going to be hard work. Most of us are just fantasizing about starting what will be a a big part of our lives. Don't think there is anything wrong with that.

My guess is University of Nevada - Las Vegas... might be wrong though!

Anyhow, CONGRATS!
Yup, Nevada - Las Vegas. Applied through the experimental track, so clinical may be different

I think this is a bit harsh. I find myself day dreaming about impossible (yet wonderful) situations like that. She isn't saying she actually thinks this will happen.

Thanks for having my back everybody!! I appreciate it :)

I have an absolutely concrete and realistic view of the grad school process. I actually calculated my chances of getting accepted into SPSS taking into account several variables like sabbaticals and average scores. So trust me I have an exact number representing my "view of the real world." But as everyone else said, it's always nice to daydream as long as you know what you're in for.

And by the way, everyone (and I do mean everyone) I have spoken to, whether they completed their degrees 10 years ago or are new grad students, remember the moment they were accepted into their programs. It is a pretty big milestone.

It's only been 5+ years later, but I still remember the day I was accepted into grad school (and the week after). For the record . . . :p

AHHHH I'm freaking out!! :D

My POI for one of the Counseling programs I applied to emailed me about wanting to do a phone interview next week. Apparently it's a pre-interview to determine who they want to invite to the actual interview day later in Spring. SO EXCITED AND NERVOUS.

AHHHH I'm freaking out!! :D

My POI for one of the Counseling programs I applied to emailed me about wanting to do a phone interview next week. Apparently it's a pre-interview to determine who they want to invite to the actual interview day later in Spring. SO EXCITED AND NERVOUS.

Congrats! What program? Have you told syzergy so s/he can add it to the list?

U. Missouri Columbia - Counseling

I wasn't sure if qualified for the list since it's technically a pre-interview interview but I can message her the info if you guys think it would be helpful!

I'm a lady. :)

Congrats on the interview tesseract18!

Everything should be updated now.

Has anyone else had this daydream?

It's Christmas morning. I wake up and go over to the Christmas tree. My husband is there along with my family and everyone is opening presents. All of the sudden, my phone rings. It's my top-choice program telling me "we are accepting you into our program - you don't even need an interview, we loved your application. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!"

Hahahahaha how amazing would that be!!!?? Not that I'm expecting anything of this sort, but that would be the best story ever to tell the grand kids one day. If I was on an admissions board and had an outstanding applicant that I had already met and was certain about, I think I might just try to make they Christmas all that much better!
Enjoy the dreams while they last

This would be awesome if it actually happened! Best Christmas present ever :laugh:!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only been 5+ years later, but I still remember the day I was accepted into grad school (and the week after). For the record . . . :p

5 years. That may seem like a long time when you're in your 20's, but in reality it's not. I'm sure most senior psychologists wouldn't remember that day amongst all of the other colorful life experiences they've had. And, honestly, if they do, I feel bad for them--life must not have been very interesting.

5 years. That may seem like a long time when you're in your 20's, but in reality it's not. I'm sure most senior psychologists wouldn't remember that day amongst all of the other colorful life experiences they've had. And, honestly, if they do, I feel bad for them--life must not have been very interesting.

I'm curious as to why it is you feel the need to nitpick something so small. It seems like a waste of time and energy. Is it that difficult to accept that a moment you perceive to be insignificant in the grand scheme of things may be very meaningful to someone else? And for the record, my LOR writers (all veterans in the field) remember being accepting into their doc programs. For someone who dreams of becoming a part of this field, it's a life changing moment. If that's not your experience, fine, but I don't understand the need to be insulting of others.

i'm curious as to why it is you feel the need to nitpick something so small. It seems like a waste of time and energy. Is it that difficult to accept that a moment you perceive to be insignificant in the grand scheme of things may be very meaningful to someone else? And for the record, my lor writers (all veterans in the field) remember being accepting into their doc programs. For someone who dreams of becoming a part of this field, it's a life changing moment. If that's not your experience, fine, but i don't understand the need to be insulting of others.

+1

I'm curious as to why it is you feel the need to nitpick something so small. It seems like a waste of time and energy. Is it that difficult to accept that a moment you perceive to be insignificant in the grand scheme of things may be very meaningful to someone else? And for the record, my LOR writers (all veterans in the field) remember being accepting into their doc programs. For someone who dreams of becoming a part of this field, it's a life changing moment. If that's not your experience, fine, but I don't understand the need to be insulting of others.

I couldn't imagine anyone who put in every ounce of time and energy for four years into a single endeavor could possibly imagine the moment all their hard work came to fruition would be remembered. :bullcrap: I agree that the statement is overly harsh. I remember the time, place, situation, and who I was with the moment I received the acceptance to my program and so do those in my cohort and program. Senior psychologists, like my mentor, remembers when he got accepted. Not like there is any research on what makes events memorable :eyebrow: !

I hope you don't make such value judgments with your patients in the future.

:corny: +pity+ :poke:

I'm curious as to why it is you feel the need to nitpick something so small. It seems like a waste of time and energy.

Nah, it only took 5 seconds to type what I typed.

I couldn't imagine anyone who put in every ounce of time and energy for four years into a single endeavor could possibly imagine the moment all their hard work came to fruition would be remembered. :bullcrap:

Not defending the dissertation? Not finishing internship? Not the hooding ceremony? Not getting the degree inferred or having the diploma in their hands for the first time? Not getting their first job? Not those, but getting accepted, reflects ALL their hard work? You really must defend this argument to me.

I remember the time, place, situation, and who I was with the moment I received the acceptance to my program and so do those in my cohort and program. Senior psychologists, like my mentor, remembers when he got accepted. Not like there is any research on what makes events memorable :eyebrow: !

Oh, okay. That's because you're still in school. You haven't done anything yet. And, also because you're choosing to quote people who do remember and who remember fondly. Selection bias?

I hope you don't make such value judgments with your patients in the future.

Oh I do it now. No worries.:rofl:

Can you please take this elsewhere? Let this thread be for those of us who are anxiously awaiting requests for interviews.

What is wrong with you? We're here to support each other and talk about what we're all going through. We're all nervous and excited about starting something new. Yes, we're young and in our 20's and haven't started grad school yet. So? Congrats on already being in school but seriously, go away.

what is wrong with you? We're here to support each other and talk about what we're all going through. We're all nervous and excited about starting something new. Yes, we're young and in our 20's and haven't started grad school yet. So? Congrats on already being in school but seriously, go away.

+1

Last edited:
Can you please take this elsewhere? Let this thread be for those of us who are anxiously awaiting requests for interviews.

What is wrong with you? We're here to support each other and talk about what we're all going through. We're all nervous and excited about starting something new. Yes, we're young and in our 20's and haven't started grad school yet. So? Congrats on already being in school but seriously, go away.

I very much agree with the two posts quoted!

I'm not in my 20's, but thanks for playing. :cool:

I also still remember the day I learned I was pregnant and the day I gave birth (and those were over a decade ago--long enough for you?). I'm sure that those experiences aren't very interesting to most snide li'l snot-nosed runts either, eh? :rolleyes:

Our program's in the process of reviewing of apps. The first planning meeting for "open house" (aka, interview day) is tomorrow (er, later this afternoon), so everything will start moving quickly enough, soon enough! :D

Get ready guys & gals!!! :luck:

Our program's in the process of reviewing of apps. The first planning meeting for "open house" (aka, interview day) is tomorrow (er, later this afternoon), so everything will start moving quickly enough, soon enough! :D

Get ready guys & gals!!! :luck:

What school, or do you not want to say.

deal me in!
Let's get this party started!

Deadlines are upon us and invites should be rolling in within the next few weeks.

Post your interview notifications so we can keep a running list of schools.

Example information:
School name
Program type/track (clinical, school, phd, psyd, child, adult etc.)
Date received
How were you notified (mass email, personalized email, phone call, from the DCT, from the POI, etc.)
Interview dates offered

I'll check this frequently and keep it updated!

Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: I was also thinking that this doesn't just have to be for formal interview invitations. I've heard of POIs/DCTs randomly calling applicants for a chat (how nice and not at all stressful). If you're contacted by the program for any reason, feel free to post it and I can include that information.

Clinical PhD

Clinical PsyD

Counseling Psych Phd/PsyD

University of Missouri Columbia - 12/9 Email from POI to schedule phone pre-interviews for 12/14 in order to determine who will be interviewed in the spring

School Psych PhD/PsyD

Combined Programs

Univ. of California-Santa Barbara CCSP-- Skype interview invites received 12/7 (school track)

Non-applied PhD

University of Nevada - Las Vegas (experimental) - phone interview ~12/7 in-person interview invites sent out by 12/16(ish)

deal me in!

I'm not sure what you mean. Were you contacted? Do you have questions about this program? Are you just super excited about this thread?

Also, for everyone else, I've been highlighting the updates in red. Is this annoying? Helpful? Confusing? Would you rather I just keep everything black?

right! thats not what she is saying. She's just sharing something about herself. Geez [Professor know it all ] call off the hounds. Dont u have dreams?

Hey everyone, glad to see we have this rolling! I just received something to add to the list...

University of Minnesota
School Psych PhD
Mass email sent 12/12
Interview Day is January 23rd

I'm not sure what you mean. Were you contacted? Do you have questions about this program? Are you just super excited about this thread?

Also, for everyone else, I've been highlighting the updates in red. Is this annoying? Helpful? Confusing? Would you rather I just keep everything black?

I think it's really helpful! Thanks :)

I think it'll be really helpful once things start moving quickly. Thanks for doing this!

I think it's really helpful to have the red for updates. Thanks syzergy!

I don't have much memory of my grad school acceptance except getting the email (my #1 school btw). The interview was much more memorable. My most memorable acceptance was for college. I remember sitting there, with the internet connection speed of 2003, and seeing the page load slowly. Congratulations! Now that was one of the greatest moment in my life b/c first generation college student :)

Hey everyone -- looks like the counseling psychology PhD track at the University of California--Santa Barbara is rolling now too! My POI from UCSB contacted me today, 12/12 via e-mail to schedule an initial Skype interview.

Interview dates are Wed 12/14 and Mon 12/19. My POI explained that the Skype interview is to cut down on travel costs for applicants and to focus on mentor match. If we're successful in the first round, we'll be invited to an in-person interview that will focus on the program more generally.

This is my first PhD interview. Excited and nervous! Good luck to everyone who applied to UCSB!

Hey everyone -- looks like the counseling psychology PhD track at the University of California--Santa Barbara is rolling now too! My POI from UCSB contacted me today, 12/12 via e-mail to schedule an initial Skype interview.

Interview dates are Wed 12/14 and Mon 12/19. My POI explained that the Skype interview is to cut down on travel costs for applicants and to focus on mentor match. If we're successful in the first round, we'll be invited to an in-person interview that will focus on the program more generally.

This is my first PhD interview. Excited and nervous! Good luck to everyone who applied to UCSB!

That's wonderful news. Good luck!
I wonder if clinical program applicants will also be contacted before January...

I know!!! I really want to start hearing back from the Clinical PhD programs!!

Haha, all these confirmation emails freak me out.

The latest from Nebraska: "Your departmental graduate application status has been updated. Your application status in the Department of Psychology is now:

Under Review - Reviewers have been assigned to review your application and will soon be making recommendations."

Again, good luck everyone!

Haha, all these confirmation emails freak me out.

The latest from Nebraska: "Your departmental graduate application status has been updated. Your application status in the Department of Psychology is now:

Under Review - Reviewers have been assigned to review your application and will soon be making recommendations."

Again, good luck everyone!

I got one of those last night and got freaked out as well (different university). I'm glad to know progress is being made with my application, but when I see an email from "Graduate Admissions", it's hard not to be a little let down when it's just a status update, even though I know it's still waaaay early.

University of Southern Mississippi
Counseling, Ph.D.
December 7th.
Mass E-mail (personalized with name / mentor only)
Feb. 3rd only.

Really excited! Surprised they contacted me so early. Interested to hear from Clinical programs as well (hopefully good news ;) )

Last edited:
I know!!! I really want to start hearing back from the Clinical PhD programs!!

You guys know it's still insanely early to hear back from anywhere, right? :D Most profs are running finals, rushing to get everything marked to turn in grades by deadlines, dealing with whiny students begging for incompletes, etc. The last thing most want to do is review applications after end-of-semester days.

I didn't hear from any of my programs until after Jan 1 when I applied.

I received my first interview invite (for clinical Ph.D.'s) on December 21st last year, and a second on the 22nd. Most came around the beginning of January, but there were a few early birds!

Last year's interview invite thread has all the dates that people were notified for interviews, so you can get a rough idea of when your schools' sent out invites last year:)

Good luck everyone!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=777932&highlight=Interview+Invite

Last edited:
You guys know it's still insanely early to hear back from anywhere, right? :D Most profs are running finals, rushing to get everything marked to turn in grades by deadlines, dealing with whiny students begging for incompletes, etc. The last thing most want to do is review applications after end-of-semester days.

I didn't hear from any of my programs until after Jan 1 when I applied.

Yeah, I second that, though I get that most people are anxious to hear back! Just to help give everyone a realistic sense of when to hear back, I went through last year's interview invite thread, and the only schools that contacted applicants in December were as follows:

CLINICAL
Kent State: received 12/21 & 1/14 via e-mail from POI. Interview 2/3-2/4, or 2/11-2/12.
George Mason: received on 12/23 & 1/5 via email from DCT. Interviews 2/4 or 2/5.
Oklahoma State: received 12/22 via e-mail from DCT. Interview 2/19.
Sam Houston State: received on 12/17 via call. Interview 2/12.
Stony Brook: received 12/21 via e-mail from POI for a pre-interview by phone (used to determine who will be invited). Invite for in-person interview received 12/29 via e-mail from POI. Interviews on 1/11 and 1/18. (another invite received for phone interview on 1/2 - interview 1/3 no mention of in person interview). 1/4 PM said that in person interviews are on 1/16-1/17.
U of Connecticut: received 12/21, 1/18 (post phone interview) via e-mail from POI. Interview 2/16 & 2/18.
U of Oregon: received 12/18 via POI email. Interview 1/30.
U of Southern California: received via email 12/19 from POI. In-person interview 1/13.
U of Tulsa: received 12/20 via call from POI. interview 1/28.
U of Wisconsin--Milwaukee: received 12/20 and 12/21. Interview 1/28.

COUNSELING
Indiana: received 12/17 via email from current stud. interview 1/27-1/28 OR 2/3-2/4.
Oklahoma State: received 12/9. interview 2/3 & 2/4
U of Minnesota CSPP- made admission offers on 12/16 (no interviews).
U of Nebraska: received on 12/16 (no interview date given in PM).
U of North Dakota: received via email on 12/22. Interview 1/14.
U of Wisconsin--Madison: received 12/11 via email from faculty. Interview 1/14.
U of Wisconsin--Milwaukee: received 12/27 via phone. interview 1/18.

SCHOOL
UT Austin: received via email on 12/16. Interview 1/28.

COMBINED
UC Santa Barbara (Clin, Coun, & School): received 12/22 & 12/23 via call. Interview 1/21 & 1/22.

Surprisingly, there were more schools that contacted applicants in December than I had expected. However, the majority contact somewhere within the last two weeks of January and the first two weeks of February. The latest interview invite came from Farleigh Dickinson University on February 27, though it's worth noting that FDU also has one of the latest application deadlines (January 15).

Thanks for posting that from the previous year's thread. Perhaps the link to that thread could be added to the OP of this thread so people can look for reference

Edit: Nevermind, thanks person below me :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that from the previous year's thread. Perhaps the link to that thread could be added to the OP of this thread so people can look for reference

Looks like it's already in post 5 of this thread.

So, it looks like two of my schools let people know during the upcoming weekend last year... that is 50% exciting and 50% terrifying :laugh:

Yeah, I second that, though I get that most people are anxious to hear back! Just to help give everyone a realistic sense of when to hear back, I went through last year's interview invite thread, and the only schools that contacted applicants in December were as follows:

CLINICAL
Kent State: received 12/21 & 1/14 via e-mail from POI. Interview 2/3-2/4, or 2/11-2/12.
George Mason: received on 12/23 & 1/5 via email from DCT. Interviews 2/4 or 2/5.
Oklahoma State: received 12/22 via e-mail from DCT. Interview 2/19.
Sam Houston State: received on 12/17 via call. Interview 2/12.
Stony Brook: received 12/21 via e-mail from POI for a pre-interview by phone (used to determine who will be invited). Invite for in-person interview received 12/29 via e-mail from POI. Interviews on 1/11 and 1/18. (another invite received for phone interview on 1/2 - interview 1/3 no mention of in person interview). 1/4 PM said that in person interviews are on 1/16-1/17.
U of Connecticut: received 12/21, 1/18 (post phone interview) via e-mail from POI. Interview 2/16 & 2/18.
U of Oregon: received 12/18 via POI email. Interview 1/30.
U of Southern California: received via email 12/19 from POI. In-person interview 1/13.
U of Tulsa: received 12/20 via call from POI. interview 1/28.
U of Wisconsin--Milwaukee: received 12/20 and 12/21. Interview 1/28.

COUNSELING
Indiana: received 12/17 via email from current stud. interview 1/27-1/28 OR 2/3-2/4.
Oklahoma State: received 12/9. interview 2/3 & 2/4
U of Minnesota CSPP- made admission offers on 12/16 (no interviews).
U of Nebraska: received on 12/16 (no interview date given in PM).
U of North Dakota: received via email on 12/22. Interview 1/14.
U of Wisconsin--Madison: received 12/11 via email from faculty. Interview 1/14.
U of Wisconsin--Milwaukee: received 12/27 via phone. interview 1/18.

SCHOOL
UT Austin: received via email on 12/16. Interview 1/28.

COMBINED
UC Santa Barbara (Clin, Coun, & School): received 12/22 & 12/23 via call. Interview 1/21 & 1/22.

Surprisingly, there were more schools that contacted applicants in December than I had expected. However, the majority contact somewhere within the last two weeks of January and the first two weeks of February. The latest interview invite came from Farleigh Dickinson University on February 27, though it's worth noting that FDU also has one of the latest application deadlines (January 15).