2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really excited to be posting one of these (especially this early):

Just got an email from POI at University of North Texas doctoral program in Clinical health/Behavioral Medicine Consortium to attend their interview day January 20th. I only applied to 5 schools and this was one of 2 that I had an amazing match with. I'm super stoked!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Today I received an email from the program director at Nebraska's school psych PhD program inviting me to their interview day on January 20th!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, I just posted this in the wrong thread, hah!

Last edited:
So, it looks like two of my schools let people know during the upcoming weekend last year... that is 50% exciting and 50% terrifying :laugh:

I wonder how accurate last years list will be as a judge of this years notifications. Part of me wants to compare the list from two years ago with the list from last year to see if the dates match up.

The other part of me, though, knows how obsessive this would be and is stoping me from doing so.

I wonder how accurate last years list will be as a judge of this years notifications. Part of me wants to compare the list from two years ago with the list from last year to see if the dates match up.

The other part of me, though, knows how obsessive this would be and is stoping me from doing so.

Ha ha I compared the 2 years lists and they matched up quite a bit. I'm not expecting to hear anything from any of my schools until late January at the earliest. Part of me super excited for those that are hearing back, part of me is kind of jealous cause I want to know, and part of me is kind of relieved that I get to sit back and chill for another month.

Oklahoma State just sent an email (12/15) about interview dates. February 2 and 3rd!

Ha ha I compared the 2 years lists and they matched up quite a bit.

Just compared my programs from the two lists: most sent invites within 4-5 days of the previous year's offers, with the greatest difference being 11. So, at least for my small sample (and just from one year to the next), I'm willing to accept their reliability. I also, of course, have no qualms about over-obsessing.

Oklahoma State just sent an email (12/15) about interview dates. February 2 and 3rd!

Ditto. Invited to interview for the Counseling Program via e-mail from the training director :D

Is this for the clinical program? My friend is applying here and I know it's one of her top choices, so I'm curious. :)

Just got an email from POI at University of North Texas doctoral program in Clinical health/Behavioral Medicine Consortium to attend their interview weekend January 20th. I only applied to 5 schools and this was one of 2 that I had an amazing match with. I'm super stoked!

Updated!

What type of program is this? Is this a clinical psychology phd program, combined program? Not sure where it goes on the list.

Updated!

What type of program is this? Is this a clinical psychology phd program, combined program? Not sure where it goes on the list.

It's an accredited Clinical Phd Program with an emphasis in health psychology and behavioral medicine (the school also has a traditional clinical phd program, and I would be taking classes, etc. with those students). The curriculum is research-heavy and is structured like a typical clinical program, but students complete a year-long medical preceptorship in a psychiatric center in addition to the year-long clinical internship.

Its called a consortium program because it involves multiple campuses (in Denton and Fort Worth) and multiple institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a personal email from the professor that I want to work with at Texas Tech inviting me to the interview day (February 10) for the clinical psychology phd program :D

Wow, two clinical Ph.D. invites today... The time is officially here! Congrats to those who received invites today!

I received a personal e-mail from my POI at Texas Tech earlier this afternoon inviting my to their clinical PhD interview weekend February 10-11 :)

Yay! me too :)

Last edited:
Man you guys scared me.. I applied to Texas tech's counseling Ph.D... Whoo.

I received a phone call interview invite from one of my POIs at the University of Missouri--Columbia today. This is for the counseling psychology PhD program. The interview is two days long -- Jan 20 and Jan 21, but faculty are asking applicants to arrive on Jan 19 to avoid any potential mishaps.

Couple of questions --

Someone upthread mentioned he/she received a telephone pre-interview from the University of Missouri--Columbia. I received a direct interview invite to the in-person session with no pre-interview. Do some POIs not do pre-interviews, or is a direct interview a sign of passing some additional applicant pool cut? I'm inclined to believe the former, but I'm just curious.

Also, how do two-day interviews differ from interviews that end after one day (aside from being longer)?

Finally, does anyone know the funding situation at the University of Missouri--Columbia? Insider's Guide says 100% receive both full tuition waiver and assistantship/fellowship (this is from the 2012-2013 edition but the data is from 2009). The Mizzou counseling psych dept Web site mentions that most students receive .25 assistantships (not.5 assistantships). Also the APA Guide with the 2011 data says 70% of students receive financial assistance and that those that do, the TAs and RAs receive full tuition remission and a stipend of $4,903 and fellowships/scholarships of $8,000. Any insight or knowledge about funding at Mizzou would be appreciated. Regardless though, super stoked to have received two interview invites already!

I received a phone call interview invite from one of my POIs at the University of Missouri--Columbia today. This is for the counseling psychology PhD program. The interview is two days long -- Jan 20 and Jan 21, but faculty are asking applicants to arrive on Jan 19 to avoid any potential mishaps.

Couple of questions --

Someone upthread mentioned he/she received a telephone pre-interview from the University of Missouri--Columbia. I received a direct interview invite to the in-person session with no pre-interview. Do some POIs not do pre-interviews, or is a direct interview a sign of passing some additional applicant pool cut? I'm inclined to believe the former, but I'm just curious.

Also, how do two-day interviews differ from interviews that end after one day (aside from being longer)?

Finally, does anyone know the funding situation at the University of Missouri--Columbia? Insider's Guide says 100% receive both full tuition waiver and assistantship/fellowship (this is from the 2012-2013 edition but the data is from 2009). The Mizzou counseling psych dept Web site mentions that most students receive .25 assistantships (not.5 assistantships). Also the APA Guide with the 2011 data says 70% of students receive financial assistance and that those that do, the TAs and RAs receive full tuition remission and a stipend of $4,903 and fellowships/scholarships of $8,000. Any insight or knowledge about funding at Mizzou would be appreciated. Regardless though, super stoked to have received two interview invites already!
What time did you get that call? I did do a preinterview screening call and my POI told me they were having a faculty meeting about decision today at 2. I haven't heard anything, so this makes me a little nervous :(

What time did you get that call? I did do a preinterview screening call and my POI told me they were having a faculty meeting about decision today at 2. I haven't heard anything, so this makes me a little nervous :(

It was around 6pm CST. It's possible that my POI may be on a different schedule than yours, so don't give up hope yet. How did you think your pre-interview went? What kind of questions did your POI ask you?

It was around 6pm CST. It's possible that my POI may be on a different schedule than yours, so don't give up hope yet. How did you think your pre-interview went? What kind of questions did your POI ask you?
lol I will try not to! It was actually really short and informal. I was asked to talk about how my research interests works with theirs, describe the current project I am working on, and my career track I want to focus in on. N the POI described the current projects for the lab. So hopefully Monday I will get a call back!

Received an email from UCSB inviting me to interview in person for their school psych PhD--unfortunately for me, it's on the same day as my Nebraska interview (January 20th)! Hopefully I can work out another time to visit...at any rate, no clue if this was a mass email or if this date is the same for the clinical and counseling tracks.

Couple of questions --

I also got an interview invitation, though mine was post phone interview and via email from my POI. In my case, I think the phone interview was just my POI wanting to have a better feel for the likely applicants before asking them to fly out. I'd guess it was a personal preference like you seemed to. Also, I found a good document describing the average funding on their site earlier. PM me if you want more info. Look forward to seeing you there! :)

Ok , POI called me back this morning for the interview at Mizzou!! On a Saturday (12/17)

Received a mass email from University of Southern California (USC: PhD in Clinical Sciences) yesterday (12/16) from POI. In-person interview 1/13 :)
Funny- same interview date as last year but the email was sent out 3 days earlier.

Hello everyone. I am just wondering if rejection letters/emails are sent out concurrently with invite letters/emails? Also, I'm new to the forum, what does POI stand for?

Thanks

Hello everyone. I am just wondering if rejection letters/emails are sent out concurrently with invite letters/emails? Also, I'm new to the forum, what does POI stand for?

Thanks

POI = Professor or Person of Interest.

From my experience, programs differ in sending out rejection letters alongside interview invites. Most seemed to send the rejections out long after interview invites were extended. It sucks! :scared:

POI = Professor or Person of Interest.

From my experience, programs differ in sending out rejection letters alongside interview invites. Most seemed to send the rejections out long after interview invites were extended. It sucks! :scared:
They do that because (according to a professor at Mizzou where I attended undergrad) they start a wait list from the beginning- so if one of the applicants they want to interview decides not too or doesn't accept an offer, they refer to their wait list. So don't lose hope, best advice during all of this is to remain positive!!!

I just received a phone interview invite from my POI for the PhD Counseling Psych program at University of Florida

SO excited that I get to post in this thread :D Congrats and good luck to all the other interviewees!

I just received a phone interview invite from my POI for the PhD Counseling Psych program at University of Florida

SO excited that I get to post in this thread :D Congrats and good luck to all the other interviewees!

Wow, congrats! They called you a Saturday night? Impressive, haha.

Congrats on the invite! I applied to the counseling psych PhD program at Florida too. Did your POI call or e-mail you with the invite? Did he/she give any other details? Is the phone interview a pre-screening interview prior to the in-person interview?

Congrats on the invite! I applied to the counseling psych PhD program at Florida too. Did your POI call or e-mail you with the invite? Did he/she give any other details? Is the phone interview a pre-screening interview prior to the in-person interview?

+2

I'm waiting to hear back from them too.

My heart jumped for a second before I realize that this is for counseling and not clinical at U. of Florida. Congrats on your invite!

Got an email from POI at Alabama-Tuscaloosa this morning inviting me to interview via phone next week for their Clinical PhD program.

In-person interview TBD.

+2

I'm waiting to hear back from them too.
It was an e-mail from my POI and she didn't say it was a pre-interview, but I am assuming that it is! Good luck :)

Got an email from POI at Alabama-Tuscaloosa this morning inviting me to interview via phone next week for their Clinical PhD program.

In-person interview TBD.

Uh-oh. Hope I hear from my POI there soon :) congrats!

If not too much trouble, could you PM me your POI? Thanks

Last edited:
Congratulations, everyone! Such an exciting and stressful time of the year.

I have some more info - I got a mass email early this morning from a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison to invite me to their interview day for the School Psych PhD on January 27.

Congratulations, everyone! Such an exciting and stressful time of the year.

I have some more info - I got a mass email early this morning from a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison to invite me to their interview day for the School Psych PhD on January 27.

Congrats!

My heart skipped a beat for this one. I am waiting to hear from UW-Madison for the counseling psych program. They said they would have interview invites out by dec 23rd. Getting close!

I received an e-mail interview invite from the training director of the University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee for the counseling psychology PhD program today. Interview day is Tuesday, 1/17 from 8:30 a.m. to mid/late afternoon.

Does anyone know anything about UWisc--Milwaukee? Over the past 10 years their average internship placement rate (70.7%) has been the lowest of all schools to which I applied and according to the APA Guide to Graduate Study in Psychology, only 65% of currently enrolled students receive funding. I didn't know these factors when I applied, but if anyone knows anything about UWM, please let me know.

At any rate it looks like I may be flying from Milwaukee to Missouri during the third week of January!

Last edited:
I received an e-mail interview invite from the training director of the University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee for the counseling psychology PhD program today. Interview day is Tuesday, 1/17 from 8:30 a.m. to mid/late afternoon.

Does anyone know anything about UWisc--Milwaukee? In the past 10 years their internship placement rate (70.7%) was the lowest of all schools to which I applied and according to the APA Guide to Graduate Study in Psychology, only 65% of currently enrolled students receive funding. I didn't know these factors when I applied, but if anyone knows anything about UWM, please let me know.

At any rate it looks like I may be flying from Milwaukee to Missouri during the third week of January!

Hey there. I don't know much about UWM's counseling PhD program, but I do know a few things about UWM in general and about Milwaukee. I am finishing up my UGrad at Marquette University (which is also in milwaukee). I offer myself to you for any general questions you may have about the city and about culture at UWM.

Congrats by the way! (I myself am dying to hear from the UWM clinical psych program.)

Hey there. I don't know much about UWM's counseling PhD program, but I do know a few things about UWM in general and about Milwaukee. I am finishing up my UGrad at Marquette University (which is also in milwaukee). I offer myself to you for any general questions you may have about the city and about culture at UWM.

Congrats by the way! (I myself am dying to hear from the UWM clinical psych program.)
Was the UWM email a mass email? I'm still holding on hope that they might get to me by the end of the day...

Congrats!

My heart skipped a beat for this one. I am waiting to hear from UW-Madison for the counseling psych program. They said they would have interview invites out by dec 23rd. Getting close!

I think my heart skipped 3 beats. Also waiting to hear back from the counseling program!:xf::xf::xf:

Just got my first interview invite!!! Ahhhh!!!!!!! It's for clinical PhD at University of Kentucky on Jan 26-27th. And congrats to everyone else getting interviews!