2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has no one heard yet from University of Maryland Baltimore County? The campus visit day is next week.

I still haven't heard anything either way. How do you know the campus visit is next week??

Members don't see this ad.

I still haven't heard anything either way. How do you know the campus visit is next week??

Ooops. I got the dates wrong. From the site:

Is an interview required as part of the admission process?

The Human Services Psychology program does conduct in-person interviews as part of the applicant evaluation process. If you cannot interview in person, it may be possible to arrange a phone interview. Interviews will be conducted March 3 – 4, 2011.

So there is still some time for them to contact.

EDIT: Just realized the year is 2011 in this post. I'll keep looking around on the site to see if I can find where I saw the dates for 2012.

The Human Services Psychology program does conduct in-person interviews as part of the applicant evaluation process. If you cannot interview in person, it may be possible to arrange a phone interview. Interviews will be conducted March 3 – 4, 2011.

EDIT: Just realized the year is 2011 in this post. I'll keep looking around on the site to see if I can find where I saw the dates for 2012.

Found it!

Save the Dates:
The 2012 Visit Day for applicants to the Human Services Program will be held February 23rd and 24th. Invitations to Visit Day will be extended on or about February 6, 2012.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just found this:

Save the Dates:
The 2012 Visit Day for applicants to the Human Services Program will be held February 23rd and 24th. Invitations to Visit Day will be extended on or about February 6, 2012.

So either we didn't get invited, or they are running late on getting notices out!!

It doesn't look like anyone really got invited. Nothing on here or TGC. I wonder how many they invited and can accept? Anyone brave enough to call?

It doesn't look like anyone really got invited. Nothing on here or TGC. I wonder how many they invited and can accept? Anyone brave enough to call?

Called the UMBC Psych dept and spoke with Nicole. She said the main pool of interview invites have been sent out. If you didn't receive one, you're probably not going to be invited for an interview. There may be a slim chance at receiving an invite, but doubtful.

So I can check UMBC off my list!

That's disappointing. That was my last school. Thanks for checking.

For those of you also waiting on the University of Alabama at Birmingham, i received this email today from the Doctoral Program Manager:

This email is to update you on the status of your application with the UAB Medical Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program. We have not yet sent out any invitations. Our January 28th deadline for issuing interview invitations has been extended. Please note that the committee will be meeting next week to finalize this process, and you will immediately hear from us via email.

PLEASE REMEMBER! You are not required, by any school, to sign a letter of commitment until the April 15th Match Day, unless you choose to do so. Also, schools are not allowed to withdraw an offer before April 15th, if you are interviewing at other schools. This agreement has been signed by all major institutions in the United States. This enables you to choose which school is best for you without being pressured by any particular institution.
Got an email yesterday (2/14) from the med clinical phd program at uab that the application committee is meeting today (2/15). Don't contact us until we contact you. This was in response to an email I had sent 1/30 inquiring about the status of my application!

I don't know if decisions are actually being made today - or not.

No one else here anything from U Montana besides mixed psych yet? (Getting nervous over here!!)

Thanks!

Montana grad student here. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think our interview day is Friday 3/9. There is a fair amount of variability in how the individual faculty members handle the interview-invite and admission process, so if you haven't heard anything don't worry. It isn't uncommon for an applicant to get an interview invite 10-14 days prior to the interview day (granted that is usually applicants who are within driving distance- the faculty do try to give as much notice as possible to applicants who would likely fly to the interview). Hang in there. The interview day at Montana is a total blast.

Here's something a U of Montana grad student posted a few days ago. I, also, have not heard anything...

I applied to the child track at St. John's and see that numerous people have posted that they received interviews for that track. Rejected? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to the child track at St. John's and see that numerous people have posted that they received interviews for that track. Rejected? Thoughts?
Also haven't heard anything and I'm too afraid to email... I'm in denial.

School name: Saint Louis University
Program type/track: Clinical Psychology
How were you notified: E-mail from administrative assistant and coordinator of admissions
Interview dates offered: March 1st, 2nd, or 3rd

Also haven't heard anything and I'm too afraid to email... I'm in denial.
I just called and then emailed the director of admissions to inquire if all invites had been sent out. I figure its better to be rejected than in limbo...

Just got an email from my POI from U Montana for a phone call talk...so excited...but nervous too!

School name: Saint Louis University
Program: Clinical Psychology, Ph.D
How were you notified: E-mail from administrative assistant
Interview dates offered: March 1st, 2nd, or 3rd

They didn't tell me who I was interviewing with though. Just that I would meet with two faculty members and a grad student.

Has anyone gotten a acceptance offer from Lehigh school psychology PhD yet? please PM me!!! Thank you!

Have many people received acceptances (or waitlists) from University of Nebraska Lincoln Clinical Psychology? If so, could you PM me your POI? Thanks and congratulations!!

I'm 23 and this is my first time applying. I applied to 15 schools and only got invited to interview at Suffolk (PhD) and GWU (PsyD) [I'm still waiting to hear back from La Salle (PsyD) and Rutgers (PsyD)].

I should be grateful, right? With that said, I kind of feel like a failure and that all of my hard work has gone unrewarded. I can't even come up with research ideas for ABCT's 3/1 deadline because I feel so unmotivated! :(

I'm 23 and this is my first time applying. I applied to 15 schools and only got invited to interview at Suffolk (PhD) and GWU (PsyD) [I'm still waiting to hear back from La Salle (PsyD) and Rutgers (PsyD)].

I should be grateful, right? With that said, I kind of feel like a failure and that all of my hard work has gone unrewarded. I can't even come up with research ideas for ABCT's 3/1 deadline because I feel so unmotivated! :(

Don't give up! Plenty (including myself) have been in your shoes. You have two interviews. Make the most of them. I know a psychologist who applied to 14 schools his second time around, got 1 interview and that was the school he got into and attended.

Remember...it only takes one. Best of luck!

School name: Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
Program type/track: Clinical PsyD
Date received: 2/14/12
How were you notified: Mass email
Interview dates offered: Saturday 3/3/12

Haven't heard back from University of Cincinnati, but if anyone does will you please post any information!! The stress of not knowing is awful, best of luck to everyone!

me neither... glad I'm not the only one starting to wonder!

Called the UMBC Psych dept and spoke with Nicole. She said the main pool of interview invites have been sent out. If you didn't receive one, you're probably not going to be invited for an interview. There may be a slim chance at receiving an invite, but doubtful.

So I can check UMBC off my list!

Yep, I didn't get an invite either. Oh well.

School name: Hawaii - Manoa
Program type/track: Clinical Studies
How were you notified: E-mail
Interview dates offered: TBD

...brah :cool:

ditto!! hockey99-- looks like we've been applying to similar universities. Congrats!

Yeah I didn't get an invite either...I think it's a rejection at this point.

First time applying, straight out of undergrad, definitely not getting accepted anywhere this time. I really don't want to have to wait another year to reapply. It was certainly a learning experience, but I am dreading the idea of spending another year at my undergrad institution (going to do the shoe-in masters program for a year). It's my best bet to stay there though because I should have a few pubs by next year, as opposed to starting on a new research team with a new mentor somewhere else for only a year. Compared to my peers, I'm at the top, but compared to the quality students who apply to these programs, I'm bottom of the barrel for now. Just venting... anyone else in the same boat? And those who followed this path, how was it applying the second time around? Did you feel you were much more qualified?

I am in the exact same boat, however I do not have a masters program ready for me for next year. I applied to 12 programs, got 3 interviews ... I am planning on applying to counseling or clinical masters programs as back up.

I still haven't heard anything from UIC (I applied to their Community and Prevention division of the Psych PhD program). Has anyone else applied there and is still waiting as well? Or would it be safe to say that I've been rejected?

Remember to keep in mind that the people who post on this site are just a fraction of the overall pool of applicants. They invited over 45 people to interview and are accepting 10-12.

School Psychology:

Saint John's University - Called by Department Secretary 1/23, interview on 3/2
Fordham University - E-mailed 2/7, interview on 3/7
Hofstra University - E-mailed 2/10, interview on 3/9

So nervous!!!

Does anyone have any updates on DePaul, Georgia State, and University of Memphis regarding interviews? All of these are the Clinical Psych PhD programs. Thanks!

Don't give up! Plenty (including myself) have been in your shoes. You have two interviews. Make the most of them. I know a psychologist who applied to 14 schools his second time around, got 1 interview and that was the school he got into and attended.

Remember...it only takes one. Best of luck!
I've only got one interview (I'm on one waitlist, and was accepted into a masters program - waiting on the rest but counting them out for now). This is probably nearly impossible to answer as I am aware that interview success mostly has to do with fit of the school, but how likely do you think it is that I am accepted into school this year? As much as I try to control my hopes and dreams and tell myself it's unlikely I'll actually be accepted, I'm finding it hard to do. Somewhere in my gut, I keep feeling like I will be, and I have absolutely no premise for this feeling - I actually have no idea where I stand (which is why I call it a feeling rather than a thought). I keep envisioning what my life might be like there, and I'm afraid that the potential consequences of my wandering mind might be devastating (at least until I ration it all away :p).

To relieve the pressure for the interview, I keep reminding myself "you can't lose what you never had." Worse comes to worse, I'm back on this forum next year, giving some kickass advice, I guess. Thoughts?

Can anyone claim or confirm the TGC post regarding acceptance to Fairleigh Dickinson??

:xf:

Has anyone gotten an invitation for Clinical PhD at UAB? If so, congrats and good luck!

Can anyone claim or confirm the TGC post regarding acceptance to Fairleigh Dickinson??

I agree. Within this post, it mentions the acceptance post was received Via Phone call from POI. We would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and Congratulations to the individual(s)...

I also received a call yesterday with an offer of acceptance to FDU. It's still pretty early though since they just finished interviewing last Sunday, so there's probably still time.

I also received a call yesterday with an offer of acceptance to FDU. It's still pretty early though since they just finished interviewing last Sunday, so there's probably still time.

Congrats! Do you mind saying who the call was from? the DCT?

NO, I haven't heard a thing from UAB except that the committee was meeting yesterday and to not contact them until we heard from them. A couple of weeks ago, I beleive, they said we would hear by 2/15. It's very frustrating!

Pgsp standford consortium
Via email on 2/15 from director of clinical training.
Interview dates 2/24 or 3/5

I've only got one interview (I'm on one waitlist, and was accepted into a masters program - waiting on the rest but counting them out for now). This is probably nearly impossible to answer as I am aware that interview success mostly has to do with fit of the school, but how likely do you think it is that I am accepted into school this year? As much as I try to control my hopes and dreams and tell myself it's unlikely I'll actually be accepted, I'm finding it hard to do. Somewhere in my gut, I keep feeling like I will be, and I have absolutely no premise for this feeling - I actually have no idea where I stand (which is why I call it a feeling rather than a thought). I keep envisioning what my life might be like there, and I'm afraid that the potential consequences of my wandering mind might be devastating (at least until I ration it all away :p).

To relieve the pressure for the interview, I keep reminding myself "you can't lose what you never had." Worse comes to worse, I'm back on this forum next year, giving some kickass advice, I guess. Thoughts?

Like I said, all it's going to take is one. They gave you the interview for a reason, so you just have to have that confidence (that swagger) to walk in there and show them what you know and why you are their person. You have time to prep and get everything down to answer any and all of their questions to impress them.

Just don't get too far ahead of yourself. Think positive, but keep yourself grounded. And remember...it wasn't by accident that they chose you for an interview. GOOD LUCK!!

Does anyone know if wright state has extended invites to their Psy.D program yet?

Just called FIT and was told that all their invites have been extended for the clinical psyd program. greattttt :(

La Salle University. Email on 2/16/12. Interview on 3/12/12, consisting of information session, tour, and 2 individual interviews.

Like I said, all it's going to take is one. They gave you the interview for a reason, so you just have to have that confidence (that swagger) to walk in there and show them what you know and why you are their person. You have time to prep and get everything down to answer any and all of their questions to impress them.

Just don't get too far ahead of yourself. Think positive, but keep yourself grounded. And remember...it wasn't by accident that they chose you for an interview. GOOD LUCK!!
Thanks :) I appreciate the reply. I've read a bunch about this on here, but I've been prepping by: reading a few articles from my "poi", as they say here, and one to two abstracts per other prof since '09; I've also been reading some of the questions on here, and trying to rehearse some answers, although I have yet to say any out loud. They didn't give too much information about how the interviews for my school go down in the invite, and for that matter, whether there is supposed to be some targeted "POI" either so a lot of this prep might not be entirely ideal.

On the other hand, I do have faith that I am able to carry on an "impropmtu" conversation - I mean, I do it every day, and I would like to believe that I'm at least somewhat engaging and thoughtful. Mainly I'm just going to make sure that I'm present and listening. I'm thinking profs are people too. :p

Has anyone heard anything from Seton Hall for Counseling Phd? They said invites would go out mid february but still haven't heard anything.

Thanks :) I appreciate the reply. I've read a bunch about this on here, but I've been prepping by: reading a few articles from my "poi", as they say here, and one to two abstracts per other prof since '09; I've also been reading some of the questions on here, and trying to rehearse some answers, although I have yet to say any out loud. They didn't give too much information about how the interviews for my school go down in the invite, and for that matter, whether there is supposed to be some targeted "POI" either so a lot of this prep might not be entirely ideal.

On the other hand, I do have faith that I am able to carry on an "impropmtu" conversation - I mean, I do it every day, and I would like to believe that I'm at least somewhat engaging and thoughtful. Mainly I'm just going to make sure that I'm present and listening. I'm thinking profs are people too. :p

My mentor was nice enough to practice with me before my first interview. During 'practice' I literally almost had an anxiety attack to the point where I couldn't think straight, let alone say one sentence that made semi-sense. Good thing is that during interviews I'm always very calm, composed and also very good at expressing myself in a sophisticated manner. I'm not sure why that is but it's always been that way. My mentor told me that he was kind of worried about me after the first practice and also surprised because I had done pretty well during my job interview with him.

Point being that I wouldn't worry too much if you usually do well during regular interactions with other people, and yes, unless you completely screw things up, I think profs will be understanding that this is a nerve wracking process.