2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am anxiously waiting to hear back from the Pace School-Clinical Psy.D. program. I know that one person posted that they received an interview invite on Friday. Has anyone else received an invite?

I'd like to know this as well! I think they made some phone calls Friday and interviews were starting this week...I hope thats not all of them though!!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

VCU Clinical offered two dates for interview 2/3 and 2/24. I'm interviewing this week. I assume that they will make decisions soon after. This is part of the reason I chose the later date. I would probably be ridiculously anxious by now!

Any updates on the following:
VCU clinical - interviewed 2/3, no word
UVM clinical - interviewed 2/ 9 - no word

I'd like to know this as well! I think they made some phone calls Friday and interviews were starting this week...I hope thats not all of them though!!:xf:

I actually just got a call from Pace. So they aren't done yet!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw that someone got accepted at WSU Counseling Psychology Program on TGC. Anyone else heard back from them? Also still waiting on CSU again counseling psychology, any word?

I also got an acceptance e-mail from WSU Counseling last week. It was via e-mail, from my POI. There was no interview. I'm also waiting to hear from CSU though, nothing yet.

CSU = Colorado State University? I saw a few pages back (46 or 47 I believe) that someone from UG there posted that the psy dept. had not started reviewing applications yet.

Has anyone already interviewed for GWU's PsyD program? Did they let you know when to expect a decision?

Last edited:
To the person who asked about UTEP not too long ago, I got an acceptance to the Health PhD program today via email, letter to follow.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from seton hall's counseling phd program or UMBC's applied developmental phd? Their deadlines were both in January so I'm not sure when I should expect to hear back. Thanks!

I only received one interview and I don't know what my response should be if, during the interview, someone asks where else I've gotten an interview. I am 98% confident that this is the ONLY ONE.

I don't want to lie, but don't want to seem failure-ish/desperate

PLEASE help on this one, its the thing I'm stressing about most for the interview
I interviewed at two schools so far, one school had us interview with two separate faculty members individually. Both of them asked what other schools I applied to or interviewed at. It didn't seem like it was prying but more in a curious way. They spoke very highly of the other programs and one had even attended another school that I had applied to. That being said, I don't think it would have made any better or worse of an impression if I had said that this was the first place im interviewing. It certainly didn't seem to me like the question to worry about.

I am anxiously waiting to hear back from the Pace School-Clinical Psy.D. program. I know that one person posted that they received an interview invite on Friday. Has anyone else received an invite?
I got a voicemail from them on friday but only actually spoke with them today.

I just spoke to someone from pace's admissions department about the combined school/clinical program. I was told that if you haven't heard back from them yet it doesn't mean anything, as they will be sending out invites to interview even up until april! I'm not sure how that is possible since I thought we were supposed to choose which program to attend by then, but that is what i was told. Hope this helps!

Program: LaSalle PsyD
Interview Invitation- personalized via e-mail at 9:53am CST 2/22/12
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if Rutgers's Clinical PsyD has definitely extended all of their interview invites yet?

I have an interview dress question and I wanted to get some feedback. I was unavailable for one of my school's interview weekends and they were willing to let me come another day (so awesome). I have a packed schedule (full of interviews with POIs/other faculty, meeting with grad students, etc.) so I imagine it's really similar to the real interview day.

Seeing as I'm the only applicant, what should I wear? Should I wear my suit (like I did at other interview weekends with lots of applicants)? Should I wear my nice business casual clothes (I wear this for formal dinners with faculty/grad students)? I like wearing the suit when there are a ton of other applicants but I feel like it might be out of place for this occasion since this is a normal day for the rest of the grad students/faculty.

Thoughts? Also, I'm female so I feel like I can get away with not wearing a formal suit. Oh, this is also an extremely competitive program and probably my top choice.

Syzergy -- I had two days like this (on one day, I was the only one; on the other, I was one of two). I wore my suit to both, and so far the results have been favorable - but this is by no means proof that the suit is necessary! As long as you look put-together, the most important thing is that you feel thoroughly awesome and confident in what you're wearing. Good luck - you'll do fantastically (and the fact that they're letting you come separately is always a promising sign)!!

I have an interview dress question and I wanted to get some feedback. I was unavailable for one of my school's interview weekends and they were willing to let me come another day (so awesome). I have a packed schedule (full of interviews with POIs/other faculty, meeting with grad students, etc.) so I imagine it's really similar to the real interview day.

Seeing as I'm the only applicant, what should I wear? Should I wear my suit (like I did at other interview weekends with lots of applicants)? Should I wear my nice business casual clothes (I wear this for formal dinners with faculty/grad students)? I like wearing the suit when there are a ton of other applicants but I feel like it might be out of place for this occasion since this is a normal day for the rest of the grad students/faculty.

Thoughts? Also, I'm female so I feel like I can get away with not wearing a formal suit. Oh, this is also an extremely competitive program and probably my top choice.

My motto: it's better to be over dressed than under!

Hey at the school where I am an undergrad, we had an applicant interview on a day that was not "the interview day" and she was the only one. Yes, she did look out of place next to everyone else in their jeans and what not during our lab meeting but none of us were like O this is awkward.... She wore a dark suit with a green blouse/top. I know the graduate students in lab appreciated the fact that she was dressed up because it really showed that despite this not being "the interview day" she was taking it seriously and with the same respect as if it was. Yes you will probably feel out of place (maybe I am just projecting how I would feel) but after a little while you will get over it and realize people are looking at you thinking wow not who does she think she is showing up dressed less formally.

Has anyone heard from seton hall's counseling phd program or UMBC's applied developmental phd? Their deadlines were both in January so I'm not sure when I should expect to hear back. Thanks!
I applied to Seton Hall and have not heard back. Another user suggested that in previous years they have sent out invitations in late February.

Is the person who got rejected from UT Austin's clinical phd program on this thread? I haven't received any updates on the website or by email, and I'm jonesing to officially take them off of my list if we have the same POI.

Hi! I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools and was wondering if anyone has received invitations/rejections from any of the following programs:

University of Massachusetts, Amherst (School Psychology PhD)
University of Maine (Clinical Psychology PhD)
Temple (School Psychology PhD)
Yeshiva (School-Clinical PsyD)

Thank you!
I heard back from Temple's School Psych-- Interview 2/29.

I applied to Seton Hall and have not heard back. Another user suggested that in previous years they have sent out invitations in late February.

Hello, I heard from Seton Hall Counseling PhD today via email from program coordinator. Interview March 9th

It was a personalized email with my name at top.

does anyone know what's up with the following programs:

widener
chestnut hill
lasalle
pcom

are there more interview dates? are they still sending out invites? anybody been rejected yet?

Hi! I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools and was wondering if anyone has received invitations/rejections from any of the following programs:

University of Massachusetts, Amherst (School Psychology PhD)
University of Maine (Clinical Psychology PhD)
Temple (School Psychology PhD)
Yeshiva (School-Clinical PsyD)

Thank you!

Umass Amherst invite went out in the first week of Feb. interviews are in march.

does anyone know what's up with the following programs:

widener
chestnut hill
lasalle
pcom

are there more interview dates? are they still sending out invites? anybody been rejected yet?

PCOM and Chestnut Hill are apparently still reviewing applicants and have sent out their round 1 interviews. LaSalle, I received an interview from a couple days ago and it seems as if they are still sending their invitations out. Hope that helps!

Anyone wondering about U. of Pitt, just got this from their FAQ graduate psy website:
How will I be informed of my admission status?

Applicants will be contacted by a member of the faculty regarding their admission status.

All applicants will be notified of their admission status by March 15.

I got accepted to the University of Memphis clinical PhD program today, my first choice! Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear :)

Hey There has anyone heard back from Northwestern Feinburg School that was at the interview? I noticed a posting on GradCafe but have not seen anything else......

Thanks for all of the nice replies everyone! Leaving tomorrow morning for my first ever interview. Very nervous, but very excited! Just going to go in and be as confident as possible! Best of luck to anyone else who may be interviewing this weekend.

I just spoke to someone from pace's admissions department about the combined school/clinical program. I was told that if you haven't heard back from them yet it doesn't mean anything, as they will be sending out invites to interview even up until april! I'm not sure how that is possible since I thought we were supposed to choose which program to attend by then, but that is what i was told. Hope this helps!

They're still inviting people. Got a call today to interview 2/28

Anyone heard from ....?
University of Cincinnati Clinical PhD
or
St. Louis University Clinical PhD

Anyone heard from ....?
University of Cincinnati Clinical PhD
or
St. Louis University Clinical PhD

Nope :( It looks like two people on gradcafe have received invitations for interviews at U of Cincinnati. Bummer city.

Hi applicants and interviewees! Congrats on your interviews!

As someone going through the internship match for the second time, I just wanted to urge you all to check out the internship stats - particularly match stats to APA accredited internships - for the programs that you're considering. I've been at an APA accredited PsyD grad program since 2007 now and I don't want anyone to waste time/money at a place that might not help them achieve their goals.

I lurked on a thread like this in 06/07 and I didn't understand the topics people were discussing as they didn't seem to apply to me (they actually didn't... POI, what?). But I didn't know to ask about what I didn't know, so here I am, stalled in my therapy/therapist career. PLEASE private message me (this may require you to join sdn, please do, inventing a name is fun :p ), if your particular concerns don't seem to be discussed at all on this thread. I may not be able to address them but I can maybe help out some of you.

Good luck! :luck:

So I'm in a bit of a predicament...I received an acceptance from a school which is high on my list and have an interview at a school in about 1.5 weeks that I would probably not pick over this one even if I received an acceptance from them. I feel like I should email and inform them of this and to ask if they can remove me from the interview - just want to make sure I don't upset them and that I go about it the right way? Has anyone else been in this situation and how did you handle it? Should I even go to the interview?

Thanks!

So I'm in a bit of a predicament...I received an acceptance from a school which is high on my list and have an interview at a school in about 1.5 weeks that I would probably not pick over this one even if I received an acceptance from them. I feel like I should email and inform them of this and to ask if they can remove me from the interview - just want to make sure I don't upset them and that I go about it the right way? Has anyone else been in this situation and how did you handle it? Should I even go to the interview?

Thanks!

I am in a similar situation, but after speaking to a few people about this, I made the decision to go to the interview for various reasons. One, you should focus of making an informed decision--what if you went to said interview and were blown away by the place and program once you visited? What if there were more opportunities to publish, more fitting clinical populations to work with, or a lab that you felt more comfortable in? Second, even if you're 100% sure that you would never attend the school that you still need to interview for--assuming that you applied to programs based on fit and similar research interests, realize that this particular POI may one day be a collaborator, or a colleague, or a person you come across at a conference. Therefore it's best to at east put your best foot forward, make an appearance, and make a good impression of yourself so that SHOULD you need to work with them someday, they will have a positive memory of you.

I hope this helps! :) Congratulations, and good luck!

I am in a similar situation, but after speaking to a few people about this, I made the decision to go to the interview for various reasons. One, you should focus of making an informed decision--what if you went to said interview and were blown away by the place and program once you visited? What if there were more opportunities to publish, more fitting clinical populations to work with, or a lab that you felt more comfortable in? Second, even if you're 100% sure that you would never attend the school that you still need to interview for--assuming that you applied to programs based on fit and similar research interests, realize that this particular POI may one day be a collaborator, or a colleague, or a person you come across at a conference. Therefore it's best to at east put your best foot forward, make an appearance, and make a good impression of yourself so that SHOULD you need to work with them someday, they will have a positive memory of you.

I hope this helps! :) Congratulations, and good luck!

I received an acceptance from my top choice and opted to withdraw from my last three interviews. It was a tough choice but I asked myself if there was anything they could offer me that would change my mind, and the answer was no. I was in a unique situation since one I had interviewed at last year and another was working with a current mentor of mine. If there is even a chance that they could win you over, then I would encourage you to go. However, I wouldn't recommend going just to go. You are potentially taking up a spot for an applicant that really wants to go there and it creates more work for everyone involved in the process. Just as you are trying to find the best place for you to go, professors are trying to find the best student for their lab. I wanted to respect their search just as much as my own (and that of the other students that really do want to attend those programs). When I withdrew, everybody was very nice and appreciative.

I received an acceptance from my top choice and opted to withdraw from my last three interviews. It was a tough choice but I asked myself if there was anything they could offer me that would change my mind, and the answer was no. I was in a unique situation since one I had interviewed at last year and another was working with a current mentor of mine. If there is even a chance that they could win you over, then I would encourage you to go. However, I wouldn't recommend going just to go. You are potentially taking up a spot for an applicant that really wants to go there and it creates more work for everyone involved in the process. Just as you are trying to find the best place for you to go, professors are trying to find the best student for their lab. I wanted to respect their search just as much as my own (and that of the other students that really do want to attend those programs). When I withdrew, everybody was very nice and appreciative.

I agree.

I thought this initially too, but after speaking to my adviser (who is faculty at a very reputable Clinical program), he assured me that this was not the case and assured me to go. Most professors have a back-up wait list as well--and there is the possibility for individuals to still be accepted even if they haven't interviewed. You are only taking someone's spot if you wait until April 15th to make a decision. Again, everyone is different an has their own reasons for doing what they do, I just provided my take on the situation.

You are potentially taking up a spot for an applicant that really wants to go there and it creates more work for everyone involved in the process. Just as you are trying to find the best place for you to go, professors are trying to find the best student for their lab.

I also heartily agree. To hold a interview and/or spot that you have no intention of taking is disrespectful not only to your future cohort/classmates/colleagues, but to the faculty. Even if they would accept someone without an interview, you will be denying them the opportunity to interview someone who they may just end up working with for the next 5 years.

Hi All,

I received an individual email offering an interview for La Salle's PsyD Program on 3/16/12. I spoke with the receptionist earlier this week too, and she said they were still going through applications and would be offering interviews through next week...so if you're waiting, don't give up hope!

Hi All,

I received an individual email offering an interview for La Salle's PsyD Program on 3/16/12. I spoke with the receptionist earlier this week too, and she said they were still going through applications and would be offering interviews through next week...so if you're waiting, don't give up hope!
Thank you for that info! :)

Offer of acceptance today from Colorado State University's Counseling Psychology.
I received an email and a phone call.
It sounded like today was their first day of notifications, but that's speculative.
No interview.
Good luck all! Thanks for the support and community.