Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by syzergy, 11.28.11.

1. ticktoc

ticktoc

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey at the school where I am an undergrad, we had an applicant interview on a day that was not "the interview day" and she was the only one. Yes, she did look out of place next to everyone else in their jeans and what not during our lab meeting but none of us were like O this is awkward.... She wore a dark suit with a green blouse/top. I know the graduate students in lab appreciated the fact that she was dressed up because it really showed that despite this not being "the interview day" she was taking it seriously and with the same respect as if it was. Yes you will probably feel out of place (maybe I am just projecting how I would feel) but after a little while you will get over it and realize people are looking at you thinking wow not who does she think she is showing up dressed less formally.
  2. Member77777

Member77777

Psychology Student
    I applied to Seton Hall and have not heard back. Another user suggested that in previous years they have sent out invitations in late February.
  3. cb248

cb248

Pre-Psychology
    Is the person who got rejected from UT Austin's clinical phd program on this thread? I haven't received any updates on the website or by email, and I'm jonesing to officially take them off of my list if we have the same POI.
  4. eml192

eml192

I heard back from Temple's School Psych-- Interview 2/29.
  5. MiaWallace

MiaWallace

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello, I heard from Seton Hall Counseling PhD today via email from program coordinator. Interview March 9th

It was a personalized email with my name at top.
  6. dynamicpsyd

dynamicpsyd

Psychology Student
    does anyone know what's up with the following programs:

widener
    chestnut hill
    lasalle
    pcom

are there more interview dates? are they still sending out invites? anybody been rejected yet?
  7. jxmagik

jxmagik

Psychologist
    Umass Amherst invite went out in the first week of Feb. interviews are in march.
  8. Hopeful884

Hopeful884

PCOM and Chestnut Hill are apparently still reviewing applicants and have sent out their round 1 interviews. LaSalle, I received an interview from a couple days ago and it seems as if they are still sending their invitations out. Hope that helps!
  9. Ettevi05

Ettevi05

Psychology Student
    Anyone wondering about U. of Pitt, just got this from their FAQ graduate psy website:
    How will I be informed of my admission status?

Applicants will be contacted by a member of the faculty regarding their admission status.

All applicants will be notified of their admission status by March 15.
  10. ArmyPsych

ArmyPsych

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got accepted to the University of Memphis clinical PhD program today, my first choice! Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear :)
  11. dramaqueen616

dramaqueen616

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey There has anyone heard back from Northwestern Feinburg School that was at the interview? I noticed a posting on GradCafe but have not seen anything else......
  12. dynamicpsyd

dynamicpsyd

Psychology Student
    Thank you very much! :)
  13. Kappadocia

Kappadocia

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I didn't hear anything.
  14. dcc777

dcc777

Psychology Student
    Thanks for all of the nice replies everyone! Leaving tomorrow morning for my first ever interview. Very nervous, but very excited! Just going to go in and be as confident as possible! Best of luck to anyone else who may be interviewing this weekend.
  15. mintyfreshh

mintyfreshh

Psychology Student
    They're still inviting people. Got a call today to interview 2/28
  16. TwinB13

TwinB13

Pre-Psychology
    Anyone heard from ....?
    University of Cincinnati Clinical PhD
    or
    St. Louis University Clinical PhD
  17. Jillgrad

Jillgrad

Psychology Student

Nope :( It looks like two people on gradcafe have received invitations for interviews at U of Cincinnati. Bummer city.
  18. TwinB13

TwinB13

Pre-Psychology
    Thanks! What is gradcafe?
  19. Duck Duck Goose

Duck Duck Goose Senior Lurker

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi applicants and interviewees! Congrats on your interviews!

As someone going through the internship match for the second time, I just wanted to urge you all to check out the internship stats - particularly match stats to APA accredited internships - for the programs that you're considering. I've been at an APA accredited PsyD grad program since 2007 now and I don't want anyone to waste time/money at a place that might not help them achieve their goals.

I lurked on a thread like this in 06/07 and I didn't understand the topics people were discussing as they didn't seem to apply to me (they actually didn't... POI, what?). But I didn't know to ask about what I didn't know, so here I am, stalled in my therapy/therapist career. PLEASE private message me (this may require you to join sdn, please do, inventing a name is fun :p ), if your particular concerns don't seem to be discussed at all on this thread. I may not be able to address them but I can maybe help out some of you.

Good luck! :luck:
  20. Jillgrad

Jillgrad

Psychology Student
    It's a site kind of like this one where people post their admission updates. Just google "the grad cafe"
  21. Kingkou23

Kingkou23

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I'm in a bit of a predicament...I received an acceptance from a school which is high on my list and have an interview at a school in about 1.5 weeks that I would probably not pick over this one even if I received an acceptance from them. I feel like I should email and inform them of this and to ask if they can remove me from the interview - just want to make sure I don't upset them and that I go about it the right way? Has anyone else been in this situation and how did you handle it? Should I even go to the interview?

Thanks!
  22. g0708

g0708

I am in a similar situation, but after speaking to a few people about this, I made the decision to go to the interview for various reasons. One, you should focus of making an informed decision--what if you went to said interview and were blown away by the place and program once you visited? What if there were more opportunities to publish, more fitting clinical populations to work with, or a lab that you felt more comfortable in? Second, even if you're 100% sure that you would never attend the school that you still need to interview for--assuming that you applied to programs based on fit and similar research interests, realize that this particular POI may one day be a collaborator, or a colleague, or a person you come across at a conference. Therefore it's best to at east put your best foot forward, make an appearance, and make a good impression of yourself so that SHOULD you need to work with them someday, they will have a positive memory of you.

I hope this helps! :) Congratulations, and good luck!
  23. EverHopeful

EverHopeful

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I received an acceptance from my top choice and opted to withdraw from my last three interviews. It was a tough choice but I asked myself if there was anything they could offer me that would change my mind, and the answer was no. I was in a unique situation since one I had interviewed at last year and another was working with a current mentor of mine. If there is even a chance that they could win you over, then I would encourage you to go. However, I wouldn't recommend going just to go. You are potentially taking up a spot for an applicant that really wants to go there and it creates more work for everyone involved in the process. Just as you are trying to find the best place for you to go, professors are trying to find the best student for their lab. I wanted to respect their search just as much as my own (and that of the other students that really do want to attend those programs). When I withdrew, everybody was very nice and appreciative.
  24. Kappadocia

Kappadocia

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree.
  25. g0708

g0708

I thought this initially too, but after speaking to my adviser (who is faculty at a very reputable Clinical program), he assured me that this was not the case and assured me to go. Most professors have a back-up wait list as well--and there is the possibility for individuals to still be accepted even if they haven't interviewed. You are only taking someone's spot if you wait until April 15th to make a decision. Again, everyone is different an has their own reasons for doing what they do, I just provided my take on the situation.
  26. Psychadelic2012

Psychadelic2012 PhD Student

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I also heartily agree. To hold a interview and/or spot that you have no intention of taking is disrespectful not only to your future cohort/classmates/colleagues, but to the faculty. Even if they would accept someone without an interview, you will be denying them the opportunity to interview someone who they may just end up working with for the next 5 years.
  27. jruth0rj

jruth0rj

Psychology Student
    Hi All,

I received an individual email offering an interview for La Salle's PsyD Program on 3/16/12. I spoke with the receptionist earlier this week too, and she said they were still going through applications and would be offering interviews through next week...so if you're waiting, don't give up hope!
  28. PsychGirl310

PsychGirl310

Psychology Student
    Last edited: 02.25.12
  29. dynamicpsyd

dynamicpsyd

Psychology Student
    Thank you for that info! :)
  30. picktwang

picktwang

Offer of acceptance today from Colorado State University's Counseling Psychology.
    I received an email and a phone call.
    It sounded like today was their first day of notifications, but that's speculative.
    No interview.
    Good luck all! Thanks for the support and community.
  31. Kappadocia

Kappadocia

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Did anyone else hear from SHU?
  32. Psych12345

Psych12345

Pre-Psychology
    Hi, thanks so much for this info! I know this isn't so likely, but do you have any indication as to whether all offers have been placed?
  33. Kingkou23

Kingkou23

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Exactly my thinking as well. I would like to give up the spot for someone else that may be on the cusp. Especially since Im sure that I would choose the program I got accepted to over this one. Just wanted to make sure I went about the right way.
  34. Clinical85

Clinical85

That is without a doubt the saddest thing I have ever seen. You're really going to beg on an online forum that you want someone to give up their spot because you want it more? I'm sorry you weren't as good of a match as that person was, but you need to have some dignity in this situation.
  35. 678886

While I agree that it's strange (and unnecessary, as no one is ever going to turn down an offer they want because an anonymous person on the internet asked them to), that's pretty strong language nonetheless.

Re the 'to interview or not to interview' debate, I'd agree that if you're unlikely to attend the school even if you interview, it's best to yield the spot to someone else. While it's true that even people who aren't interviewed have a shot via the waitlist, there might have been a slim difference between that individual and someone who was invited to interview, but that gap widens immeasurably when someone interviews in person vs. remains a name on a page. So I wouldn't cite that as a reason to hold onto an interview spot you don't really want. Also, I don't think any school considers it rude to give your spot to someone else if you know you aren't going to attend; I think it's courteous.
  36. Duck Duck Goose

Duck Duck Goose Senior Lurker

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Guess you've led a sheltered life. Haven't worked in the field much, eh?

Good luck to everyone with figuring out plans. :luck:
  37. Fenestella

Fenestella

Pre-Psychology
    Interview invite-"Dear Applicant" email sent on 2/24. Interview on 3/16.
  38. PerhapsMaybeOk

PerhapsMaybeOk

wow what a fail.
  39. picktwang

picktwang

Sorry, I have no idea.
  40. Member3918

Member3918

Hey guys,

If the person who posted an acceptance to Case Western on TGC is on here, would you mind messaging me your POI? Thanks so much, and congrats!
    Last edited: 02.24.12
  41. PsyDGrant

PsyDGrant

Psychology Student
    I received the following interview updates:

Widener - nothing yet
    Chestnut Hill - invitation to interview on March 2, 2012, received by email February 11, 2012
    La Salle - invitation to interview on March 12, received by email February 24, 2012.
    Immaculata University - Invitation to interview on March 3, 2012, received by email on January 27, 2011.

Hope that helps

42. PsychGirl310

PsychGirl310

Psychology Student
    You're right. I am embarrassed and very sorry.
  43. ModGirl

ModGirl

Psychology Student
    Widener has multiple interview days, so if you haven't heard from them it's possible that you haven't been selected yet.
  44. rubybloom

rubybloom

Non-Student
    I have been accepted to a program that I thought was my second-to-top choice (school 1), until I went through with an interview at a school I was really hoping I would not like for various reasons (funding, geography, student vibes). However because of the strong interest match at school 2 I can see it will be a very hard decision to make if I end up being accepted there.

Since I know there's a waitlist and people's trajectories are hanging in the balance, I would like to notify school 2 that I have received an acceptance and politely ask for a timeline on their decision-making process (this was suggested by the POI at school 1). I am not yet sure which school I would choose if I got into both, though I continue to lean slightly towards school 1 for numerous reasons although school 2 is an incredibly strong technical interest match.

Any advice on how to gracefully let school 2 know of my acceptance (or should I even bother)? What a process this is ...

Thanks for fielding this silly Q! :)
  45. Ettevi05

Ettevi05

Psychology Student
    When both have great qualities and a great POI to work with, you should start thinking about $$, which program is in a better city, lower rent (would you have to room with someone else/alone), creating a budget and see if one program is better accommodating than the other one. Although it seems both programs are incredible, you should also go with your gut and pick the one you'd really like to go.
  46. psychology212

psychology212

Pre-Psychology
    Just received an offer for admission from VCU child track. "No word" meant I had not heard back from them after my interview. I'm holding the offer - haven't accepted, as I am waiting on other schools.
  47. psychology212

psychology212

Pre-Psychology
    And you're going to be a clinical psychologist? Have some compassion.
  48. Paulie5116

Paulie5116

Psychology Student
    Interview invite from North Dakota State University's Psychological Clinical Science Program via email today (2/25) from POI. Skype or phone interview sometime this next week.
  49. clinsike

clinsike

Can the person/people who got accepted at VCU or CWRU PM their POI please? Thanks!
  50. dcc777

dcc777

Psychology Student
    Last edited: 03.05.12

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal