2011-2012 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I have an interview at Northwestern on 10/5. Ideally, I would like to also interview at Rosalind Franklin since the two schools are only an hour apart and so I wouldn't have to fly out twice.

Would be be extremely presumptuous of me to email them asking for an interview simply because I will be in the area?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Small pooled! FINALLY!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking of adding Rosalind to my list of schools. Too late to apply?

Complete 8/25
I still haven't entered screening yet. Should I contact them or wait a little longer? I can't decide.

has anyone actually been rejected by this school yet? like they didn't make the small pool? or has anyone in the small pool been rejected yet?

has anyone actually been rejected by this school yet? like they didn't make the small pool? or has anyone in the small pool been rejected yet?
i doubt they reject people from the small pool til the end of the interview cycle but i think people have posted here being rejected pre-small pool

How long did it take you guys to be small-pooled since you were complete?? Thanks!

Small pooled! Yay! The part about "declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process" makes me a little nervous though.

anyone interviewed there yet? have mine coming up in the next couple of weeks..

pre-interview jitters! i have my interview wednesday!!! :boom:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I have an interview at Northwestern on 10/5. Ideally, I would like to also interview at Rosalind Franklin since the two schools are only an hour apart and so I wouldn't have to fly out twice.

Would be be extremely presumptuous of me to email them asking for an interview simply because I will be in the area?

thanks!

I would try to give them an email and let them know of your situation. Hopefully, you should be able to hear something well!

It seems as if the interview invites they have given out so far (or a majority of them) have been on Thursdays. Here's to a lucky upcoming Thursday! :xf:

all the best to everyone having interviews soon!!!

complete : 09/02
Screening : 09/13

In the e-mail it says it will take 4-6 weeks for screening.....that's a long time..

complete : 09/02
Screening : 09/13

In the e-mail it says it will take 4-6 weeks for screening.....that's a long time..

What happens after screening? Is it a rejection, small pool, or large pool?

What happens after screening? Is it a rejection, small pool, or large pool?

After a screening they can either give you a rejection, put you in a pool of other applicants (Small or large, whatever!) , or they even can give you an interview right about now. As the interview season has began, I think if the committee decides, you could skip the pool and get an interview.

best wishes to all of you that entered screening! Hope you hear something well soon!

Submitted 7/9, complete 8/8, entered screening 8/18, got placed in a pool 9/13 (today)

I completed the secondary on 8/29 and haven't entered screening yet. Should I call the office or wait a little longer?

EDIT: entered screening just now

Last edited:
Just got back from the interview:

The Pro's: VERY CLOSE-KNIT COMMUNITY. I went through the halls and it seemed like everyone knew everyone. I felt sort of like I was in high school in that there were tons of clubs, IM sports, and social outlets. A good chunk of your classes will have students from other program. VERY SIMPLE FINANCIAL AID system. It seemed that you could get all the money to pay for medical school with just a few clicks of a button on their website.

The Con's: Almost too social. I got an impression that a lot of students party quite a lot, which surprised me considering I thought medical students were always stacked with mounds of studying. Partying is fun and all, but I feel that when our tour guide was telling us how he had security called on him three times in the first 2 months for partying with other med students, it kind of raises a red flag for me...Other than that, the only other negative I would have is that the school is sort of in the middle of no where and the clinical locations are almost an hour away in downtown Chicago. Sort of a divide....

Overall: Interview went smoothly (I only got one ethical question about experimenting with a drug for a terminally ill child) and everyone was very friendly. The school is small but small for a good cause: it creates a true sense of community within the school. I feel that if I was able to limit the social distractions, I could be very prepared and supported throughout medical school.

Last edited:
Submitted 7/9, complete 8/8, entered screening 8/18, got placed in a pool 9/13 (today)
This is somewhat strange. I was considered complete on 8/18, and I entered screening the same day, but I have yet to receive a small pool email. It seems as if I just barely caught the 8/18 screening date, but I am now going to have to wait a little bit longer to hear back. I wonder if it will take another week or so since I was technically complete later....

The Pro's: VERY CLOSE-KNIT COMMUNITY. I went through the halls and it seemed like everyone knew everyone. I felt sort of like I was in high school in that there were tons of clubs, IM sports, and social outlets. A good chunk of your classes will have students from other program. VERY SIMPLE FINANCIAL AID system. It seemed that you could get all the money to pay for medical school with just a few clicks of a button on their website.

The Con's: Almost too social. I got an impression that a lot of students party quite a lot, which surprised me considering I thought medical students were always stacked with mounds of studying. Partying is fun and all, but I feel that when our tour guide was telling us how he had security called on him three times in the first 2 months for partying with other med students, it kind of raises a red flag for me...Other than that, the only other negative I would have is that the school is sort of in the middle of no where and the clinical locations are almost an hour away in downtown Chicago. Sort of a divide....

Overall: Interview went smoothly (I only got one ethical question about experimenting with a drug for a terminally ill child) and everyone was very friendly. The school is small but small for a good cause: it creates a true sense of community within the school. I feel that if I was able to limit the social distractions, I could be very prepared and supported throughout medical school.

Hey guys... I'm an M1 and saw you all walking around today! Best of luck to you all!!

I just wanted to comment on the party school aspect... There are definitely the kids who do that, which I think you'll find anywhere. But there are plenty of us who don't... trying to take school seriously and study probably more than we'd want to. You make what you want out of it.

Anyway, I've only been here for a month but I'd be happy to answer any other questions if you have any.

Thanks for your insight. I've been reading the interview feedback page, and it looks like some of the questions are pretty tough. Going to start preparing for this interview tonight.

I feel that if I was able to limit the social distractions, I could be very prepared and supported throughout medical school.

You would think that, but then you get some free time and realize that there is absolutely -NOTHING- up here. Don't underestimate the ability to be able to easily get away when you need to.

First, let me apologize for the tour guide you guys saw. I am an M1 at CMS, and I can tell you that this is not a party school. There are some people who like to have a good time (e.g. after big exams), but most of us are more chill and relaxed. We spend most of our time studying and practicing clinical skills. The apartments next to campus can have some wild parties now and then, but those are rare. I live in an apartment complex 5 minutes from school along with many other students, and they are really nice and very relaxed.

As for the location, once you spend one week here you will know where to go and what to do. There are plenty of options for restaurants, sports bars, malls, theaters, etc. There are also lots of options for community involvement/clinical experience.

The bottom line is that I really like this school, and am glad that I ended up here. The other students deserve to be here, and we are getting a great education.

Feel free to message me with any questions or email me at [email protected]

One thing I would point out is that CMS is not a small school by any means. At 180 or so students per class, it's 2 or 3 times bigger than many schools, though it may appear smaller because it's attached to a few professional schools instead of a big undergrad campus.

Dear Applicant,

Your file is complete and has passed a primary screening. This means you are in the pool of applicants who may be invited to interview with CMS. However, this does not guarantee an invitation and you may be invited to interview or declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process.

CMS is interviewing from September- April, with invitations being sent out via email. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

CMS Admissions

What's this mean? I don't understand this small pool business.

My understanding is it means that you have not been rejected and are in a smaller group of candidates who the school is considering inviting to an interview.

Its a good thing, you need to be pooled to get an interview!

it seems like the next step after the screening. you could possibly get an interview from now until May. has anyone received any interviews recently to Rosalind?

Anyone who interviewed recently want to comment on the general tenor of the interview? Was it laid back / conversational or was it more formal? I'm interviewing here this Wednesday :)

anyone who go small pooled in late july and hasn't heard anything yet? i wonder if this is a silent rejection. :(

Don't fret guys. Being pooled early doesn't mean you will be reviewed earlier for interview invites. Once you're placed in a pool, they will start reviewing all applicants and probably will rank them and send out invites in that order. So even if you've been waiting since July (I have too) just wait patiently and your turn might come :luck: I'm waiting here ever since the mid-July pool.

Anyone who interviewed recently want to comment on the general tenor of the interview? Was it laid back / conversational or was it more formal? I'm interviewing here this Wednesday :)

To answer your question, as well as the entire interview day...

Everyone was really friendly and they attempted in every way to make sure the event was as stressless as possible. They leave you in a room with all the other candidates (about 15ish), and the interviewers call you out after they have reviewed your file which DOES NOT include your GPA or MCAT scores. They are just your activities and essays. Word of advice, strike a conversation with the other interviewees early, I think the day was more enjoyable then. The interviews were very laid back and friendly from my experience and what the other interviewees also commented. Most questions were pretty straightforward, but I did have some tricky questions. Some open ended such as, what are you extremely passionate about?, or what is your most moral quality? Also more specific things such as, What is your opinion on research and innovation in the current economic climate? and What is the difference between HMO and PPO?

The interview day itself was good, they showed us the campus and many facilities including the cadaver lab. The facilities were very new and clean. The school does "feel" smaller as most of the classes are in one big building. I can see why some wouldn't like this, but I think it is a refreshing change from the big campus of my undergrad.

To comment, on the previous post about drinking. My tour guides were M2's and were really honest and helpful. They pretty much said, if you are into partying and going crazy, there are parties and organized party buses to the city to go nuts usually after a big round of exams. BUT, many people take the more chill routes and find other fun things to do. They also said, since they have exams every two weeks or so, it is much harder for students to go and party since the next round of exams is around the corner.

They commented positively about the curriculum (system based study, inter-professional classes, exam system, and grading which is A,B,C, fail and not pass/fail)

Overall, I liked the campus, students and faculty were friendly, and I could see myself there in a year. Hope this helps and good luck to interviewers!

Last edited:
How do you know whether you are small pooled? What site do you go to to find out? I can only get back to the secondary and no way to find a "status". Sorry if this has been asked before, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.