2011-2012 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What will you be doing this year before med school?(only if you will not be in school this coming year)

Is there anything else?

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
so my stats are lower than the avg at this school but people have been telling me that they're very holistic with the apps...can somoeone give some personal testimony to this plz? also, what kinds of students do they like to admit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people will ask:

Last years secondary had a question asking us to list any other comments about SLU or yourself in general. I did this and got accepted. Some people didn't do it and got accepted. Just like this whole process, it all depends on the applicant and what you put in there.

what GPA cum and sci and MCAT score is usually sufficient to get an interview at CMS? Because in the end, it's a numbers game everywhere and subjective stuff plays a minor role but greater role in the interview...

yeah but MSAR doesn't say what stats qualify individuals for interviews...it just gives average stats for accepted applicants...

yeah but MSAR doesn't say what stats qualify individuals for interviews...it just gives average stats for accepted applicants...

Because there isn't for most schools (others, correct me if I'm wrong). I think median stats are good figures to go by. There are, of course, people who score below than median but have outstanding ECs that they get interviews. It really varies - I don't think you are really going to find a set number on that (maybe for Mayo?)

Secondary received! Looks like there are no essays. Good luck, everyone!

EDIT: There are two basic essays. "What will you be doing this year before med school" and a miscellaneous "is there anything else" question.

Last edited:

EDIT: There are two basic essays. "What will you be doing this year before med school" and a miscellaneous "is there anything else" question.

Wow that was fast! Congrats! May I ask what your stats are?

Wow that was fast! Congrats! May I ask what your stats are?

Ha, my stats are irrelevant for this school and their secondary; they send secondaries to everyone. I know a handful of others received the secondary as well. If you haven't gotten it, I would suggest checking your spam folder.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I have a 3.63 GPA and a 31Q MCAT. Good luck.

I guess for the secondary we just write about "Why SLU particularily?"

Members don't see this ad :)

I do not see the "What will you be doing this year before med school" prompt.
Saint Louis U only one essay and its the: "is there anything else" question no?

I do not see the "What will you be doing this year before med school" prompt.
Saint Louis U only one essay and its the: "is there anything else" question no?

If you click no to full time student question, the other essay pops up.

Ha, my stats are irrelevant for this school and their secondary; they send secondaries to everyone. I know a handful of others received the secondary as well. If you haven't gotten it, I would suggest checking your spam folder.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I have a 3.63 GPA and a 31Q MCAT. Good luck.

Ah thanks! Well, your stats actually look great for Stl.U from what I've heard.

Also, I derped. My AMCAS application hasn't been reviewed yet, which is probably one of the reasons why I haven't gotten it. :laugh:

anyone else not in school and filling out that "tell us what you're up to" essay? I feel pretty happy with my 1.5 page description and little bit of reflection, but see the 10,000 character count and start to wonder if i should elaborate more.

If you click no to full time student question, the other essay pops up.

:thumbup:

Ah thanks! Well, your stats actually look great for Stl.U from what I've heard.

Also, I derped. My AMCAS application hasn't been reviewed yet, which is probably one of the reasons why I haven't gotten it. :laugh:

Haha, yep, that would be why! :D

anyone else not in school and filling out that "tell us what you're up to" essay? I feel pretty happy with my 1.5 page description and little bit of reflection, but see the 10,000 character count and start to wonder if i should elaborate more.

Yea I'm not sure how much detail I'm going to include since it was already touched upon in my primary. I think the best way to do it is to probably just take whatever you need and to avoid filler at all costs.

I finished the secondary...just give me the darn fee waiver so I can submit already!

just working on my additional comments, hoping to submit by tomorrow night!

Confused. Does SLU have any secondary essays? I really confused by the upload documents tab. Someone please explain this to me.

Confused. Does SLU have any secondary essays? I really confused by the upload documents tab. Someone please explain this to me.

Two essays, one is optional, one is only valid if you are not going to be a student next year.

1) For non-students 2011-2012: what will you be doing activity wise?

2) Is there anything else you would like to share with us? (optional)

Upload documents tab is for LOIs, updated grades, etc.

Two essays, one is optional, one is only valid if you are not going to be a student next year.

1) For non-students 2011-2012: what will you be doing activity wise?

2) Is there anything else you would like to share with us? (optional)

Upload documents tab is for LOIs, updated grades, etc.

Does anyone know if there are any word/character limits on these?

So I'm in the process of applying to Americorps but won't know if Im accepted till around late July. Should I say that im in the process of applying in my secondary? Or would it be better to wait and send an update if Im actually accepted?

So I'm in the process of applying to Americorps but won't know if Im accepted till around late July. Should I say that im in the process of applying in my secondary? Or would it be better to wait and send an update if Im actually accepted?

I guess that depends on how confident you are that you'll get in :laugh:.

hmm i really don't know if I'll get in...i might just add the fact that applying anyways. might show that I am working towards something during my time off

It doesn't hurt to put it. That's what I did. I ended up deciding not to do AmeriCorps and did something else instead. I totally forgot to update them too, even during the interview, and didn't get asked about it either. I still got in :)

Hey I'm still considering this school. What are some of the things that you guys like about it?

Hey I'm still considering this school. What are some of the things that you guys like about it?

It's a Jesuit school, so it's service-oriented. I'm applying to all the Jesuit schools. They rock. :) And pass/fail for the first two years! I like everything about SLU. Plus, clinical rotations in St. Louis would be sick.

I applied to this school, just verified my app today.

How can you guys write 10,000 character essays...... I had to do so many drafts for the PS...........

How can you guys write 10,000 character essays...... I had to do so many drafts for the PS...........

The trick to 10,000 character essays is to not do them.

Hold down the . until all the space is filled up

Describing what you plan on doing for the next year is a bit different than writing about why you're interested in medicine?

just because it says there is a 10,000 character limit does not in anyway imply the entry should be that length.

make a list of what you will be doing or plan on doing. put it in paragraph form, be concise, no fluff.

My picture won't upload. Tried png, jpg, jpeg. commmmon

Do they screen for secondaries or give them to everyone with a 3.0 GPA and what MCAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.