2011-2012 Stanford Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Why isn't Stanford getting any love? Beautiful campus, small class sizes, high tech facilities and funding to match. Anyone getting the hint that I want to go here?

I like the Chihuly sculpture in the new stem cell building.

Also, the LKS "Center for Learning and Knowledge" has an odd name but is beautiful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why isn't Stanford getting any love? Beautiful campus, small class sizes, high tech facilities and funding to match. Anyone getting the hint that I want to go here?

We're all waiting for a little love from stanford ;). Seriously though, I agree with you on the class sizes.

oh man stanford is like my dream, I actually think its a magical place

I was browsing through my USNEWs and it seems like stanford's avg GPA/MCAT are lower than the other schools of its caliber, does stanford focus a lot on the other aspects of the application?

And anyone know if they screen for secondaries?

I was browsing through my USNEWs and it seems like stanford's avg GPA/MCAT are lower than the other schools of its caliber, does stanford focus a lot on the other aspects of the application?

This is an incorrect assumption as Stanford's class is much smaller, so people that get in with "lower stats" will bring down the avg more than a school with a bigger class. That being said I'm sure they focus on the whole application as do most schools.

I was browsing through my USNEWs and it seems like stanford's avg GPA/MCAT are lower than the other schools of its caliber

My reading of USNWR suggests that Stanford's stats are pretty indistinguishable from Penn, Duke, Yale, UCSF, Columbia. Harvard, Hopkins, and WashU are a bit higher.

oh I see, wow I didn't realized how small Stanford's class until I compared the numbers. gahhh even harder to get in

Stanford doesn't screen for secondaries, everyone gets one. :luck:

Sweet. Now just gotta get the prompt and start it! =D

I'm looking forward to receiving a rejection letter from this wonderful school as well.

Hopefully this years entering class will be able to enjoy the new hospital maybe in two years or so. I can't wait to see what they do with it. Knowing Stanford its going to be over the top and have some amazing architecture.

Members don't see this ad :)
I WANT TO GO HERE SO BAD IT HURTS!!! I'm even willing to matriculate a year late if they let me in considering I'm taking MCAT next month. I know it's late...no excuse I guess. Didn't know any better until I already signed up.

STANFORD STANFORD STANFORD!!!
:laugh:

I WANT TO GO HERE SO BAD IT HURTS!!! I'm even willing to matriculate a year late if they let me in considering I'm taking MCAT next month. I know it's late...no excuse I guess. Didn't know any better until I already signed up.

Um......

Just got the secondary invite, looks like it's the same as last year.

wow... a dozen or so essays for MSTP applicants :eek:

When I log-in to Stanford's secondary, it says my LORs haven't been received (though it says AMCAS has sent them out). You think it just takes time to process?

I have the same feeling, I would be so happy if I got in that I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

I still don't have a secondary (verified 6/2) =(

Submitted :xf: and now I wait:whistle:

good luck to the rest of you!

I received the secondary on Thursday I believe and got the email verifying "completeness" this morning.

Good luck to everyone!

Me neither. I remember Stanford being slow in sending out secondaries last year.

Not to be overly neurotic, but if they send out secondaries in a staggered manner, how does that work with the whole "rolling admissions" concept :(

Is there anyone else who has a very early receipt that AMCAS sent out the letters, but that Stanford has yet to receive them? I had my letters sent out on 6/28, but they have not yet gotten them.

Is there anyone else who has a very early receipt that AMCAS sent out the letters, but that Stanford has yet to receive them? I had my letters sent out on 6/28, but they have not yet gotten them.

Don't worry, my letters weren't marked as received until just now (7/11) and they were sent on 6/28. Most likely your letters have already been received/downloaded, they just haven't updated your account since it was created last week.

Don't worry, my letters weren't marked as received until just now (7/11) and they were sent on 6/28. Most likely your letters have already been received/downloaded, they just haven't updated your account since it was created last week.
Do they mark you as complete and ready for review then? Mine were sent then also but still not received.

EDIT: They were just marked as received yet my file is still incomplete. Hmm

Last edited:
Did you get marked as complete/receive complete email?

Do they mark you as complete and ready for review then? Mine were sent then also but still not received.

EDIT: They were just marked as received yet my file is still incomplete. Hmm

They send you an email when complete.

Patience.

I'm guessing you have to submit your secondary before they update your "received letters" page.

My letters were sent 6/22, I submitted yesterday, and my letters were marked as received today.

Thanks guys!

They also have my letters, but I'm marked as incomplete. My guess is they have to check your letters once they get them to confirm you have the required number or something like that. Or at least that's what I'm thinking because mine is a letter packet. Or maybe there's just a lag in how long it takes for them to update that it's complete.

Are there still people waiting for the secondary who were verified early June or is it just me?

Did anyone NOT waive their right to their letters of recommendation? I wonder if Stanford cares or if it's just a legal thing.

Are there still people waiting for the secondary who were verified early June or is it just me?

I'm almost positive Stanford doesn't screen... I would call and see what's up!

are we supposed to receive an email indicating complete status or are complete as long as the letters have been received the the secondary has been submitted?

are we supposed to receive an email indicating complete status or are complete as long as the letters have been received the the secondary has been submitted?

No email.
Just check status online.

1.The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2000 characters)
2.Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this (you had to choose which practice scenario you see yourself best in) practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)
3.How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 characters)
4.If you have publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, please complete a citation for each of your publications in the space below using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication. This section applies for papers that have been published or been accepted for publication. Please do not include abstracts or unpublished conference papers.

edit: clarification of question 2

Can someone PLEASE post the secondary prompts please please PLEASE!!!

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

9. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals.

Private Practice

Health Policy

Academic Medicine

Public Health

Health Care Administration
Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

It showed that it was complete online, and then I also got an email a day later saying that

What are you all doing for your diversity essay? I'm having a little trouble on this one, mainly because I feel an urge to just be straightforward without doing the fancy (and time-consuming) "story telling" approach I took for my personal statement.

How many of you are striving to "tell a story" with this essay? How many of you are just being explicit, openly listing/describing how you will contribute to diversity?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.