2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they reject pre-interview? I was complete in oct and heard nothing. Still a chance? Would sending a letter of intent do anything?

OOS, avg stats

it's not uncommon to be complete in oct and not heard. October completion is pretty late. so your II if you get one, will be late most likely.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that was on hold for Fall grades heard anything back yet?

i was on hold for fall grades. have not heard anything yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received II...complete in early september and interview date for 2/21!!
That's not too late in the process right definitely still worth coming for the interview?!

IS...3.7+ GPA and 30+ MCAT but nothing extraordinary for extracurriculars but solid

Sorry to hear. IS/OOS ? Can I ask when you interviewed?

12/19/11. IS. I'm surprised because I believed that interview went splendidly. Evidently my interviewer thought otherwise. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting.

Just received II...complete in early september and interview date for 2/21!!
That's not too late in the process right definitely still worth coming for the interview?!

IS...3.7+ GPA and 30+ MCAT but nothing extraordinary for extracurriculars but solid

?
You paid all that money why wouldn't you attend the interview? Some guy said he interviewed in March, accepted in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can any current students elaborate on the structure of third and fourth years? It was recently explained to me that I should be asking students whether or not all rotations are covered before students need to apply for residencies or something like that?

12/19/11. IS. I'm surprised because I believed that interview went splendidly. Evidently my interviewer thought otherwise. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting.

Were u sent a letter, and did it show up on ur status page? Also what are your stats? Wish you the best of luck elsewhere

I have an interview for 2/7. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on how the interview process goes. I am really excited and nervous. I just submitted my secondary on Thursday because they said they never got it and now I was offered an interview so fast. I didn't see that coming, so I am wondering how to prepare. Thanks

I have an interview for 2/7. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on how the interview process goes. I am really excited and nervous. I just submitted my secondary on Thursday because they said they never got it and now I was offered an interview so fast. I didn't see that coming, so I am wondering how to prepare. Thanks

Have you seen the interview feedback page? http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/suny-downstate/survey/26

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed on Nov. 21st - haven't heard anything since then. Is this normal?

i saw some interviewees looking at some stupid pictures about culture and writing an essay about it...you poor souls. once you get into med school you realize what a crock it all is.

interviewed on Nov. 21st - haven't heard anything since then. Is this normal?

Yep, the process can take anywhere from 8-10 weeks, if not longer. I interviewed in Mid Sep 2010 and didnt' hear back til beginning of December 2010...Good luck!

i saw some interviewees looking at some stupid pictures about culture and writing an essay about it...you poor souls. once you get into med school you realize what a crock it all is.

lol. I was one of them!

Can any current students elaborate on the structure of third and fourth years? It was recently explained to me that I should be asking students whether or not all rotations are covered before students need to apply for residencies or something like that?

Third year you have your required rotations: Medicine, Surgery, Neurology, EM, Anesthesia, Pediatrics, Ob/Gyn, Primary Care, Psychiatry. All required rotations will have been done by the time summer rolls around and ERAS opens up. The exception is with EM and Anesthesia. The way those two rotations work is you choose one to do during third year and the other to do during fourth year. Depending on how your third year is scheduled, you will either be done in mid June or some time in July. The reason is some people choose to have some vacation time or elective time during third year. I did not do that and my third year required rotations were done by mid June.

:(
i was there
it's not my fault.

do we ever find out what this was for????

I honestly think it helped me get accepted though, even though they said it wouldn't affect admission. lol. I wrote about how the girl in the picture represents the type of girl that I am most attracted to: a medical student with a passion for community health and music. :laugh:

How long is the interview day if I start at 10? Do we really have to write some bull**** essay?

How long is the interview day if I start at 10? Do we really have to write some bull**** essay?

The essay is fun though! Don't sweat it. Also, the interview day length all depends on when your interview is scheduled. Mine was at 10am, so I left at 1 right after the tour and lunch. A girl at my interview didn't have hers scheduled until 4:15pm, so hers ended pretty late.

The essay is fun though! Don't sweat it. Also, the interview day length all depends on when your interview is scheduled. Mine was at 10am, so I left at 1 right after the tour and lunch. A girl at my interview didn't have hers scheduled until 4:15pm, so hers ended pretty late.

i thought my afternoon interview was bad...
that must have such a boring wait.

dont stress out about the essay but do take it seriously. they put the essay in for a reason. if it was completely meaningless they wouldn't have put it in. sure it wont DIRECTLY affect your admission but the topic you write about may be talked about during your interview. i never did the dwnstate one but at Buffalo, during my interview, they asked me about my essay and to explain my perspective/reasoning and back it up blah blah.. it was annoying

as long as you put "cultural sensitivity" and "diversity" in your essay I think you'll be okay.

dont stress out about the essay but do take it seriously. they put the essay in for a reason. if it was completely meaningless they wouldn't have put it in. sure it wont DIRECTLY affect your admission but the topic you write about may be talked about during your interview. i never did the dwnstate one but at Buffalo, during my interview, they asked me about my essay and to explain my perspective/reasoning and back it up blah blah.. it was annoying

I'm pretty sure you're right---there is some aspect of it that it is used for. They likely use it to compare writing styles to your formally submitted work, form a basis for some interview questions, determine how well you write under pressure, and analyze your viewpoints on culture/diversity.

I interviewed in early December. At that time, both the woman in admissions that greets interviewees upon arrival and the essay prompt itself emphasized that the essay does not have a role in the admissions decision. The woman in the admissions office said that they are trying to determine this year if they are going to use it in future years as a part of the decision-making process.

I think the essay is an exercise intended to assess writing skills (again, this is just a guess). I did not get the sense that the essay had anything to do with "cultural sensitivity" or "diversity", and I'm curious how people came to that conclusion. (FWIW - I didn't write anything about those topics and was accepted)

I am certain that the essay has no impact on your interview, because most people hand in their essay right before leaving for the day (after their interview), so the interviewer doesn't see it.

I interviewed in early December. At that time, both the woman in admissions that greets interviewees upon arrival and the essay prompt itself emphasized that the essay does not have a role in the admissions decision. The woman in the admissions office said that they are trying to determine this year if they are going to use it in future years as a part of the decision-making process.

I think the essay is an exercise intended to assess writing skills (again, this is just a guess). I did not get the sense that the essay had anything to do with "cultural sensitivity" or "diversity", and I'm curious how people came to that conclusion. (FWIW - I didn't write anything about those topics and was accepted)

I am certain that the essay has no impact on your interview, because most people hand in their essay right before leaving for the day (after their interview), so the interviewer doesn't see it.

I got that idea by looking at the pictures. There were a few that were pictures of very ethnic neighborhoods such as China Town. Then again, I'm not part of the admissions committee so I wouldn't know.

dude, my picture was a woman buying fish at a deli...

dude, my picture was a woman buying fish at a deli...

Maybe it was an ethnically diverse fish.

Mine was two African Americans playing chess outside a unisex hair saloon. I just wrote a short story. Some people had works of art if I remember.

I kind of enjoyed it. I like writing though

Maybe it was an ethnically diverse fish.

Mine was two African Americans playing chess outside a unisex hair saloon. I just wrote a short story. Some people had works of art if I remember.

I kind of enjoyed it. I like writing though

yeah i just wrote out a story, making up a background of the person in my photo explaining why they were doing what they were doing. i didn't even think about writing about ethnic diversity :(

Yeah, mine wasn't that serious at all. I had a picture of a bunch of people hanging out in Central Park. I chose not to over think it and just wrote what I saw.

lol we had the same picture. Two Black men playing a game of chess.

I'll be declining my acceptance here this week. Thanks to all of the current students on this page who have been very helpful. Hope the spot goes to an SDNer!

Were u sent a letter, and did it show up on ur status page? Also what are your stats? Wish you the best of luck elsewhere

I was indeed sent a letter. No e-mail, no change on status page. It is a small, thin letter. Since I had read elsewhere that thick packets were sent to accepted students, I immediately knew it was bad news. I'm instate with >30 MCAT, 3.9 s and c gpa, and significant ECs. I think what did me in was that I asked the student tour guide whether many SUNY Downstate students end up doing their residencies there. The guy misinterpreted my question as implying that SUNY Downstate was an inferior school, and thus went on a 10 minute, defensive rant on how going to SUNY Downstate doesn't limit your residency options compared to "big name schools". I tried to inform him that my question had no ulterior implications but he ignored me. It almost allowed the impression of an inferiority complex.

And to think, all I wanted to know if many students end up wanting to do their residencies there! I loved the school and it became my first choice after the interview...but oh well. C'est la vie. Good luck to others waiting. Don't ask the same question I did!

Last edited:
I was indeed sent a letter. No e-mail, no change on status page. It is a small, thin letter. Since I had read elsewhere that thick packets were sent to accepted students, I immediately knew it was bad news. I'm instate with >30 MCAT, 3.9 s and c gpa, and significant ECs. I think what did me in was that I asked the student tour guide whether many SUNY Downstate students end up doing their residencies there. The guy misinterpreted my question as implying that SUNY Downstate was an inferior school, and thus went on a 10 minute, defensive rant on how going to SUNY Downstate doesn't limit your residency options compared to "big name schools". I tried to inform him that my question had no ulterior implications but he ignored me. It almost allowed the impression of an inferiority complex.

And to think, all I wanted to know if many students end up wanting to do their residencies there! I loved the school and it became my first choice after the interview...but oh well. C'est la vie. Good luck to others waiting. Don't ask the same question I did!
I think that whoever was your tour guide probably shouldn't be giving tours given his inferiority complex, but I highly doubt it had even the slightest effect on your application. Tour guides have no say in the process unless you do something extremely stupid.

haha. my essay was basically "this is a woman buying a fish at a deli." x 300 words.

Same. I added in that the woman was remarking on the size of the fish and the vendor asked if she would like to hold it. Since she was holding it with two hands, I suggested that it weighed more than the woman had anticipated.

I didn't know what else to say. It really was just a Caucasian woman holding a fish that an Asian fisherman had given her.

Same. I added in that the woman was remarking on the size of the fish and the vendor asked if she would like to hold it. Since she was holding it with two hands, I suggested that it weighed more than the woman had anticipated.

I didn't know what else to say. It really was just a Caucasian woman holding a fish that an Asian fisherman had given her.

lol, i don't remember my essay. i was mainly annoyed i had to spend time typing it when i was nervous about my interview.

I'm sorry to hear that, but honestly you can't blame the tour guide for the rejection. We have no idea what your names are.

And to briefly play devil's advocate, your question doesn't have a straightforward answer. As a person outside of the match, I can only look at the match list and tell you where people end up, but I can't tell you anything about where they wanted to end up. I'm sure there are people who wanted to stay at Downstate but matched elsewhere and people who didn't want to stay and matched at Downstate. But beyond that, I can't offer any elaboration.

I think people unintentionally put their foot in their mouths sometimes with their questions to the tour guides. You are trying to put on an air of professionalism in pretty uncomfortable clothes and either coming off a mentally stressful (even if the interview itself ends up being relaxed) interview or preparing for one. Sometimes things just come out wrong.

One interview I was at, some girl who was interested in hearing about the safety of the campus for students asked the tour guide if a lot of students get hurt around around here.

Of course there are always the interviewees who will try to impress everyone with bits of arcane knowledge about the school in question form or ask the tour guides pretty ridiculous questions. This doesn't really sound like that though.

So is spring consideration like waitlist or does downstate also put ppl on waitlist post interview?
They do both. No one knows the difference though, so consider them the same.

Haha, I remember you. I was the one you said had a nice tie. I didn't think your question was insulting at all, i just thought the tour guide misinterpreted what you were trying to ask.Quite honestly though, i doubt it had any impact because that all happened quite early in the tour and it's not like they knew our names.

I think people unintentionally put their foot in their mouths sometimes with their questions to the tour guides. You are trying to put on an air of professionalism in pretty uncomfortable clothes and either coming off a mentally stressful (even if the interview itself ends up being relaxed) interview or preparing for one. Sometimes things just come out wrong.

One interview I was at, some girl who was interested in hearing about the safety of the campus for students asked the tour guide if a lot of students get hurt around around here.

Of course there are always the interviewees who will try to impress everyone with bits of arcane knowledge about the school in question form or ask the tour guides pretty ridiculous questions. This doesn't really sound like that though.

Oy! Considering I'm doing tours now, I'll have to be on the lookout (not literally--as we really have no say in the admissions process...we don't REALLY know your names..or won't remember. I may try to :) ) for those kinds of questions.

On that note, if anyone is interviewing on Monday the 6th...I'll be giving a tour for you interviewees. Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.