2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you've received an interview, when were you complete? If you don't mind :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone happen to have any information on student hosting? I have received an interview invite for next month and would like to spend the night prior with a current student.

I searched Downstate's website but could not find anything.

Please PM with details.

My first interview invite!!! :D Any other 9/19ers around? Got the e-mail this morning.

In-state (Long Island), complete 7/27.

I have been under review for nearly a month. Still no word.

I got my interview offer today! Complete 8/1 I believe. Anyone know how strict they are about trying to switch times?

interview invite earlier today! have another one already scheduled for that day so will have to reschedule. anyone now if they are ok with this?

Interview invite this morning! OOS. First one :)

interview invite earlier today! have another one already scheduled for that day so will have to reschedule. anyone now if they are ok with this?

+1!!

What is a "legitimate reason"? I would have to miss work and 3 classes. Work is really the main issue because we all know how expensive this process can be :(

Members don't see this ad :)
they were fairly flexible when i called to reschedule so i would at least give it a shot!

Just rescheduled to 10/11. Ms. Levine was very friendly in accommodating my schedule. I did get the II yesterday though, so maybe this is because I contacted her pretty quickly.

Anyone have any knowledge about completing the secondary late?

lol, got the secondary on july 8th, but will finish today...Aug 22...that's like over a month, haha

Man, that's pretty bad. Anyone know if they're strict on 2-week turnarounds?

OOS btw, 3.48/35R-if anyone wants to chime in on my chances...

Thanks!

Did you guys get a complete e-mail from downstate? or did you just check the application checklist?

Would anyone happen to have any information on student hosting? I have received an interview invite for next month and would like to spend the night prior with a current student.

I searched Downstate's website but could not find anything.

Please PM with details.

They have student housing, but I'm sure at this point, you figured that out already lol.

I got my interview offer today! Complete 8/1 I believe. Anyone know how strict they are about trying to switch times?

+1!!

What is a "legitimate reason"? I would have to miss work and 3 classes. Work is really the main issue because we all know how expensive this process can be :(

As you guys know, they can and will reschedule for "legitimate reasons"--emergencies or things you just can't move around. Obviously, they won't move it "just because you want to do it on Tuesday because your hair looks better on Tuesdays rather than Wednesdays"--just saying. :)

Anyone have any knowledge about completing the secondary late?

lol, got the secondary on july 8th, but will finish today...Aug 22...that's like over a month, haha

Man, that's pretty bad. Anyone know if they're strict on 2-week turnarounds?

OOS btw, 3.48/35R-if anyone wants to chime in on my chances...

Thanks!

If there's a deadline of 4 weeks, then you're late and it won't look too good. If you present them with a valid reason, such as you didn't have access to it or something, then they may let it slide. Your GPA is a bit on the low end, especially for OOS at Downstate, but your MCAT is very strong. You may be able to get an interview invite from Downstate if you have other aspects of your application that attract them!

Good luck to all, and sorry for the delay in responses! Orientation started last week, and now we're in school as of yesterday!

Hey all,

Sorry if this has already been covered. While reading the forum I feel like I got mixed answers. Does Downstate send us an email with access to the secondary after AMCAS verification, or can we log on somewhere and just complete our own secondary prior to receiving any sort of email?

Thanks!

Hey all,

Sorry if this has already been covered. While reading the forum I feel like I got mixed answers. Does Downstate send us an email with access to the secondary after AMCAS verification, or can we log on somewhere and just complete our own secondary prior to receiving any sort of email?

Thanks!

You can access the secondary from the admissions website and complete it there. If you do not yet have access to your Admissions Checklist (info sent via email), then you will need to snail-mail your application instead of submitting it electronically (scan/email as attachment).

Hey all,

Thanks!
i'd just be patient and try to answer the questions in advance so you can hand it in immediately. also realize that you need a scanner or something like that so prepare for that. fair warning, some people sent in their secondaries before they got the invitation and received an auto-reject, I believe it was Einstein while others let you apply early (for example, Columbia if I recall correctly). There's really no need to rush, this whole process is about patience.

i'd just be patient and try to answer the questions in advance so you can hand it in immediately. also realize that you need a scanner or something like that so prepare for that. fair warning, some people sent in their secondaries before they got the invitation and received an auto-reject, I believe it was Einstein while others let you apply early (for example, Columbia if I recall correctly). There's really no need to rush, this whole process is about patience.

Downstate has their application posted on their website so that you can complete it in advance. You're not "invited" to do a secondary per se based on your application, since they do not screen.

Thanks so much for the advice. I found the secondary online, so thanks! With regards to the checklist, is it necessary? If so, do we wait for email access to this? How long does that take? Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help!

Downstate has their application posted on their website so that you can complete it in advance. You're not "invited" to do a secondary per se based on your application, since they do not screen.

einstein doesn't screen either
none of the new york schools do as far as i know except maybe hofstra (not sure about this)

einstein doesn't screen either
none of the new york schools do as far as i know except maybe hofstra (not sure about this)

Yes, but haven't applicants been auto-rejected from Einstein for submitting secondary applications before being prompted to do so? I would e-mail a school and get a written "O.K." prior to submitting the application.

Thanks so much for the advice. I found the secondary online, so thanks! With regards to the checklist, is it necessary? If so, do we wait for email access to this? How long does that take? Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help!
The checklist isn't necessary really. They send you a letter either via snail mail or email (I believe in the past it was snail mail, but I'm not 100% sure), telling you you are complete. You should use the checklist if you know you sent something in and it wasn't received within a couple of weeks. The status page doesn't update in real time, so try to be patient.

Congrats on the recent IIs! When were you guys complete? Been complete since 7/25 and haven't heard anything yet....

If Downstate sends you a letter asking for an update, it means they're interested. They did that to me last year, and I got a later interview. It looks like that might happen again as they asked me for more information regarding my research.

Hmm, once the school receives your primary application (a few weeks after you're marked complete), they'll activate your application checklist. It is important, in the sense that it displays a 48 hour old checklist of your submitted materials. That being said, you can SNAIL MAIL your application/fees to Downstate's Admissions office prior to receiving access to your Application checklist. If you're absolutely worried, then mail (or submit electronically) AFTER you receive access to the Admissions Checklist.

Yes, but haven't applicants been auto-rejected from Einstein for submitting secondary applications before being prompted to do so? I would e-mail a school and get a written "O.K." prior to submitting the application.

Downstate is a bit different since the secondary application file is something they post to their website way before the admissions process even starts. Downstate isn't the type of school to automatically reject students because they haven't been given permission to submit their secondary.

The checklist isn't necessary really. They send you a letter either via snail mail or email (I believe in the past it was snail mail, but I'm not 100% sure), telling you you are complete. You should use the checklist if you know you sent something in and it wasn't received within a couple of weeks. The status page doesn't update in real time, so try to be patient.

+1

Interview invite this morning!

OOS and complete on 7/12

Last edited:
My buddy got an interview invite here this afternoon! I hope I get one soon!!! I was complete Aug 10

got my interview tomorrow, will let y'all know how it goes :)

Just received interview invite. Complete mid-July. OOS but Downstate is def. one of my top choices.

does downstate do silent rejections? i haven't heard from them yet and i'm IS and complete like mid july

does downstate do silent rejections? i haven't heard from them yet and i'm IS and complete like mid july
Most schools don't reject pre-interview till a little later on. They still might come back to your file I believe. I know some people who waited a few months until they got the invite (including people who eventually got in).

yea i know people who waited 7 months before hearing back about an interview invite...its a very long and frustrating process just gotta keep waiting

Most schools don't reject pre-interview till a little later on. They still might come back to your file I believe. I know some people who waited a few months until they got the invite (including people who eventually got in).
I got rejected from 4 schools pre interview already :(. Still waiting on Downstate. Complete 7/14 3.64, 3.7 33M from CA.

I received an interview invite this morning for October 6th. I'll be in NY area the night of the 3rd through the morning of the 7th. Anyone else interviewing that week or that will be in the area that wants to meet up and explore NYC? It'll be my first time and I don't feel like going around by myself, that's boring :p

does downstate handout rejections or are they silent until a certain period of time til next year?

does downstate handout rejections or are they silent until a certain period of time til next year?

I believe they hand out rejections AFTER a period of time passes. Do keep in mind that they can invite you at any time, so don't lose hope until the last moment! Do send update letters after a period of silence, and if you're interested in the school!

I believe they hand out rejections AFTER a period of time passes. Do keep in mind that they can invite you at any time, so don't lose hope until the last moment! Do send update letters after a period of silence, and if you're interested in the school!

Hi Asyouwereatrio!

hm, so it was alright i guess. there were some reasons to feel good about my interviewers feedback but not gonna think too much of it until see a decision....basically same as last year with asking a list of standard questions, but that's dependent on interview bc my guy was actually an adcom and just did it his way. Was pretty relaxed with everybody, altho we were a small bunch i think total of 10 ppl ish in all.

anybody have a # figure of how many ppl downstate accepts? I looked through old threads and never
saw any estimate.

Last edited:
Did anyone submit more than 2 letters (for individual letters)? Or submit additional letters as updates? Or is that a no no

hm, so it was alright i guess. there were some reasons to feel good about my interviewers feedback but not gonna think too much of it until see a decision....basically same as last year with asking a list of standard questions, but that's dependent on interview bc my guy was actually an adcom and just did it his way. Was pretty relaxed with everybody, altho we were a small bunch i think total of 10 ppl ish in all.

anybody have a # figure of how many ppl downstate accepts? I looked through old threads and never
saw any estimate.

The number is not published in US News nor MSAR, so you won't find it unless you talk to someone on admissions

Do students pay instate tuition after the first 12 months residing in New York (assuming they do not reside in student dorms)?

Yeah you just need to get a ny driver's license, live in an apartment etc. It's not too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.