2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did you sign it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahaa it was good seeing you as well.. although I don't know who you were persay.. and I suppose you don't know who I am. :D

I'm trying to sign the supplemental digitally, but it's not working. I click on the digital signature box and I can't type anything nor do I get any popups to sign. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Also, once I complete the supplemental, how do I submit it?

Thanks

I'm trying to sign the supplemental digitally, but it's not working. I click on the digital signature box and I can't type anything nor do I get any popups to sign. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Also, once I complete the supplemental, how do I submit it?

Thanks

I had to print it out and sign it, then scanned it and emailed it in. You can also mail it in if you don't want to scan it, but as far as I know there's no way around printing it out and signing it by hand.

I had to print it out and sign it, then scanned it and emailed it in. You can also mail it in if you don't want to scan it, but as far as I know there's no way around printing it out and signing it by hand.

I see, thanks for your response. I was looking through this thread and apparently some people were able to digitally sign it, and the app even offers that option.

Anybody else who was able to digitally sign it?

I see, thanks for your response. I was looking through this thread and apparently some people were able to digitally sign it, and the app even offers that option.

I was able to digitally sign it. Honestly, it was awhile ago, so I don't recall having to do anything special. I was using Acrobat Professional if that makes a difference. I think I had to create a signature also (maybe?)

Yes. Make sure you have the updated copy of acrobat. Then double click in the signature box and another dialog box should appear to enter your information like name, company, email, telephone, etc, if you have already not done it.

Does it give you an error or something when you try to do it?

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
MS1 here--I'll answer questions for anyone looking for another perspective on Downstate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had my interview here a week or two ago. Really casual, all the questions are on the interview feedback page. Im OOS and I landed in JFK. Took a cab because I would probably get lost on the subways, and it cost about $30.

If i were on the committee, i would admit you just for your username

so are you in this application cycle now or attending downstate? Your MDapps says you didn't have a successful cycle.

another MS1 here - also happy to talk to you guys about the school/interviewing etc. good luck everyone :luck:

LOL i dont think any of us are japanese hahaha.

anyway another suggestion to those who may want to attend downstate.

Take an embryology course in college... or your life will be very difficult.

I'm russian.. ruskaya means russian in russian... lol

LMAO

Okay, I have some questions for the Downstate students:
Do you know many that commute from Manhattan? I was curious what's the morning commute like via metro?...I'm staying in midtown east, so I just wasn't sure what i shoudl expect in terms of getting to my interview via metro.

Coming from Seattle were we don't have the metro...just needed to ask. When I was in DC, fortunately i was staying near the campus, but when I was going underground, i saw a gigantic mob of commuters around that 8-9am morning blitz. everyone was just congested trying to get on the escalator up. Is it kinda the same thing as well? (i.e. allocate 15 minutes just to get out of the station? lol)

For the school, is there are pretty good sense of community amongst the students? Or is it more independent? Where do the students usually live, and what's access to the school like beyond normal hours?

An R1 who attended upstate told me that if i ever was in NYS, i should probably carry a pocketknife at all times-has your experience in Brooklyn supported that advice? (And I do know that having a knife doesn't mean you'll use it, but i guess my question is that, "how much do you need to be on guard?")

Is everything done online at the school? What kind of network or academic access do you guys use? Is it like Blackboard, or something else?

Sorry for the bunch of questions. Thanks!

LMAO

An R1 who attended upstate told me that if i ever was in NYS, i should probably carry a pocketknife at all times-has your experience in Brooklyn supported that advice? (And I do know that having a knife doesn't mean you'll use it, but i guess my question is that, "how much do you need to be on guard?")

I'm not an M1 at downstate but lived in NYC both good and bad parts for about 16 years now and the answer is absolutely NO, you don't need to carry a knife. You need to carry a gun! Let's be serious though, NY is no where as bad as people make it sound, you don't get pressed and robbed just walking down the street every other day, it just doesn't happen. Now if you do happen to walk into the wrong neighborhood you might get heckled or stared at, but if you mind your own business, so will most people.

LOL i dont think any of us are japanese hahaha.

anyway another suggestion to those who may want to attend downstate.

Take an embryology course in college... or your life will be very difficult.

my life will be very difficult then :eek:

I'm russian.. ruskaya means russian in russian... lol

wow I totally guessed wrong :oops:

LMAO

Do you know many that commute from Manhattan? I was curious what's the morning commute like via metro?...I'm staying in midtown east, so I just wasn't sure what i shoudl expect in terms of getting to my interview via metro.

Coming from Seattle were we don't have the metro...just needed to ask. When I was in DC, fortunately i was staying near the campus, but when I was going underground, i saw a gigantic mob of commuters around that 8-9am morning blitz. everyone was just congested trying to get on the escalator up. Is it kinda the same thing as well? (i.e. allocate 15 minutes just to get out of the station? lol)

For the school, is there are pretty good sense of community amongst the students? Or is it more independent? Where do the students usually live, and what's access to the school like beyond normal hours?

Is everything done online at the school? What kind of network or academic access do you guys use? Is it like Blackboard, or something else?

My class has a great sense of community. About half of the class lives in the dorms, which are very convenient. We have study carrels access and anatomy lab access all the time. The student center is nice and has basketball courts, gym, swimming pool, sauna, tennis, ping pong, and other activities. If you live in the dorms, you don't really have to walk anywhere except maybe to the grocery store. I feel just fine walking during the day.

I'm not an M1 at downstate but lived in NYC both good and bad parts for about 16 years now and the answer is absolutely NO, you don't need to carry a knife. You need to carry a gun! Let's be serious though, NY is no where as bad as people make it sound, you don't get pressed and robbed just walking down the street every other day, it just doesn't happen. Now if you do happen to walk into the wrong neighborhood you might get heckled or stared at, but if you mind your own business, so will most people.

My Bazooka normally does the trick. These flies around here can be crazy

The neighborhood is okay. In the day time a lot of people walk in the neighborhood by themselves. At night-time it's probably best to walk with someone else, though some people here (mostly guys) don't care. Just try to be alert when you're walking around.

Last edited:
Does anyone's admissions checklist show an Acceptance/Alternate List Checklist now?? Did they slip and offer an acceptance before 10/15??

My class has a great sense of community. About half of the class lives in the dorms, which are very convenient. We have study carrels access and anatomy lab access all the time. The student center is nice and has basketball courts, gym, swimming pool, sauna, tennis, ping pong, and other activities. If you live in the dorms, you don't really have to walk anywhere except maybe to the grocery store. I feel just fine walking during the day.

Some ppl do commute from manhattan. Some commute from SI. its definitely possible if you manage your time right. I don't really recommend it though...

And silverwyvern4, thats a high mcat score. it's odd, I know 6 downstate MCAT scores of ppl i know... and the avg for those are significantly higher than downstates avg.. (32 36 36 37 37 38).

Last edited:
LMAO

Yeah I live on campus and absolutely love it... and as was mentioned above a large number of students live in the dorms. Dorms are literally across the street from the basic science building where we have our lecture hall, anatomy lab, library, study carrels, etc.

As far as neighborhood safety - I personally (a girl) do not go outside by myself after dark. During the day though, I'm fine walking outside by myself to nearby stores, etc. A knife is not necessary in my opinion.. you just have to be street smart. Don't walk around waving your Iphone around, and walk confidently.

We use a website called Prime, where our lecture notes are posted as well as lecture podcasts and other supplemental study material, and grades are emailed to us.

Lol still waiting for response from downstate
Complete: 8/19
Is the checklist website supposed to change if they make a decision? Mine has been the same md applicant checklist since the start lol.

Is the checklist website supposed to change if they make a decision? Mine has been the same md applicant checklist since the start lol.

its kinda random, IF it changes then you are guaranteed either accepted/alternate list but the majority of people did not see the extra checklists come up and did receive acceptances around the same time.

altho clearly DS puts the effort into making that change for some people online, i think its for the early birds just because its the first decisions of the cycle..

you have 17? wow. the youngest person this yr is 21

really? i know there is another person here who is 18 i believe. ANBUITACHI, are you a Naruto fan? (hence the reason I capslocked your name lol). I love Naruto hahaha.

Last edited:

I'm not sure about how it changes for II or denial, but I just checked mine and there was a new checklist below the first asking for fall semester grades. Didn't get an email though. I think they USPS most correspondence?

its kinda random, IF it changes then you are guaranteed either accepted/alternate list but the majority of people did not see the extra checklists come up and did receive acceptances around the same time.

altho clearly DS puts the effort into making that change for some people online, i think its for the early birds just because its the first decisions of the cycle..

thanks!

really? i know there is another person here who is 18 i believe. ANBUITACHI, are you a Naruto fan? (hence the reason I capslocked your name lol). I love Naruto hahaha.

i was a bigger fan 10 years ago when i started watching it. i made the name many years ago and just kept with it. I still like reading Naruto. im an itachi fan =)

i was a bigger fan 10 years ago when i started watching it. i made the name many years ago and just kept with it. I still like reading Naruto. im an itachi fan =)

yes, Itachi rocks lol.

I agree, we have a great sense of community in our year, save certain individuals who enjoy spamming message boards (you know who you are). You just have to accept that there will be gunners and losers in every med school class and veer clear of them.

Also guys, if you go to the anatomy lab check out body one in the lumbosacral area you'll see something cool.

I agree, we have a great sense of community in our year, save certain individuals who enjoy spamming message boards (you know who you are). You just have to accept that there will be gunners and losers in every med school class and veer clear of them.

Also guys, if you go to the anatomy lab check out body one in the lumbosacral area you'll see something cool.

Are you complaining about the class discussion board posters or the Facebook posters? We definitely have ones who post like crazy on both!

Are you complaining about the class discussion board posters or the Facebook posters? We definitely have ones who post like crazy on both!

i'm not complaining about anything; i just made an observation regarding individuals with disagreeable personalities that happen to not only like the sound of their own voice, but enjoy having their words permanently engraved in history through posting incessantly on the internets.

Loosing hope here :(.

Have ppl been rejected from downstate?

His GPA is below avg Downstate GPA. His MCAT is on average but his verbal is low. His EC is good.

Do you not like mayo clinic as well hahahahha

when i get back i'm going to duel you with ping pong paddles

also he went to berkeley so he gets some leeway IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.