2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when i get back i'm going to duel you with ping pong paddles

also he went to berkeley so he gets some leeway IMO.

hahaha youd win cause i just destroyed my shoulder on friday so i can't lift it hahaha

and berkeley may get leeway compared to like lower ranked schools but it's prob on same level as Ivys and stuff like NYU. and seeing how downstate has a billion applicants from those places, in the end it doesn't make a difference haha.

though in the end it still depends on his interviewnig skills...

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha youd win cause i just destroyed my shoulder on friday so i can't lift it hahaha

and berkeley may get leeway compared to like lower ranked schools but it's prob on same level as Ivys and stuff like NYU. and seeing how downstate has a billion applicants from those places, in the end it doesn't make a difference haha.

though in the end it still depends on his interviewnig skills...

did you break your humerus and mess up your axillary nerve?

Members don't see this ad :)
His GPA is below avg Downstate GPA. His MCAT is on average but his verbal is low. His EC is good.

Do you not like mayo clinic as well hahahahha

Whats the average GPA for downstate? I thought it was around 3.58 or 3.6

I think my app is pretty solid. I have tons of research clinical and volunteer. really good LORs and a decent GPA from a good school. While my verbal is low, i would rather it be the verbal than any other section-- then i also make up for it with the writing being as S

Whats the average GPA for downstate? I thought it was around 3.58 or 3.6

i think it went up to around 3.7 ish. regardless, to maintain such a high GPA @ Berkeley is an impressive feat.

Thanks Fire. My GPA is upward trend from 3.4 freshman year to 4.0 Senior year. Also completed an honors thesis

Thanks Fire. My GPA is upward trend from 3.4 freshman year to 4.0 Senior year. Also completed an honors thesis

So it looks like you were complete on 8/10, they probably looked at your application at this point. If I were you, I would send in those letters of interest!

I feel like your 8 in verbal might be holding you back (could you possibly have a weak personal statement and/or a negative letter of recommendation?). Personally, I think you're application is solid, with lots of EC's that would make any adcoms' parotid glands overactive, which makes me think that either your 8 in verbal or other factors are confounding variables (biostats ftw) are leading to your dearth of interview invites at this point in the game.

Does anyone know the best way to get to JFK from the campus? The directions on their website are intimidating.. Can I call a cab or something? Can I take the subway? Thanks for your help :)

Does anyone know the best way to get to JFK from the campus? The directions on their website are intimidating.. Can I call a cab or something? Can I take the subway? Thanks for your help :)

http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/tripplanner.aspx
to: jfk airport terminal whichever

click submit

there are three itineraries to choose from

it's probably easiest to follow those directions but if you have the time and are frugal, there are two buses that go into jfk. you can use a metrocard transfer instead of paying the 5 dollars for the airtrain. it's a long ride though and not really worth it for out-of-towners, especially if you get lost but you can look into that if you want

You have quite a few options--you could take a cab from JFK, which will be about 35 bucks.

If you have enough time, about 1.5 hours, you can take the subway or commuter rail.

Cost: about 15 bucks (5 for the Airtrain, 2.25 for MTA subway, and another 8-10 for hte LIRR). This method takes about 1.5 hours, which is why I would suggest you take a cab for slightly more...it'll be a less stressful way for you to get back home. Downstate Admissions Office will call a cab for you...you will pay of course lol.

So it looks like you were complete on 8/10, they probably looked at your application at this point. If I were you, I would send in those letters of interest!

I feel like your 8 in verbal might be holding you back (could you possibly have a weak personal statement and/or a negative letter of recommendation?). Personally, I think you're application is solid, with lots of EC's that would make any adcoms' parotid glands overactive, which makes me think that either your 8 in verbal or other factors are confounding variables (biostats ftw) are leading to your dearth of interview invites at this point in the game.

Yea, i have no idea. I do know that all my letters of rec are very strong (I used them for Mayo). My personal statement, I think, was very strong. I had person very qualified help me with it, and mayo seemed to like it. I just dont get it/know what to do really. Im deff not retaking the mcat....

Oh and in terms of a LOI, I sent them, about 4 days ago, an email re-asserting my interest and telling them I will be in the area on the 26th for an interview, and would love the opportunity to interview there

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice writing score.. you'll probably get an interview =\. and this year downstate's avg gpa is 3.7 with mcat of 11 11 10V = 32.

how can downstate not give you an interview when mayo did?! so i think you'll get it!!!

http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/tripplanner.aspx
to: jfk airport terminal whichever

click submit

there are three itineraries to choose from

it's probably easiest to follow those directions but if you have the time and are frugal, there are two buses that go into jfk. you can use a metrocard transfer instead of paying the 5 dollars for the airtrain. it's a long ride though and not really worth it for out-of-towners, especially if you get lost but you can look into that if you want

You have quite a few options--you could take a cab from JFK, which will be about 35 bucks.

If you have enough time, about 1.5 hours, you can take the subway or commuter rail.

Cost: about 15 bucks (5 for the Airtrain, 2.25 for MTA subway, and another 8-10 for hte LIRR). This method takes about 1.5 hours, which is why I would suggest you take a cab for slightly more...it'll be a less stressful way for you to get back home. Downstate Admissions Office will call a cab for you...you will pay of course lol.

Thank you guys! And they say New Yorkers aren't friendly. psh!

Lol a friend of mine (who is on this thread..so HI if you read this!) was here a few weeks ago, and he had quite the opposite experience. Almost every single person he met here was a douche/unwilling to help him...haha.

sooooo....does anyone know if downstate is sending out the first batch of decisions in the mail tomorrow?...had my interview 9/8 so I'm hoping to here back soon

Oh and in terms of a LOI, I sent them, about 4 days ago, an email re-asserting my interest and telling them I will be in the area on the 26th for an interview, and would love the opportunity to interview there

if you are going to email someone, email the dean of admissions. if you don't hound the big dog you will get no where.

II on 10/14!!! They scheduled me for the Nov 21st, but I am going to have to re-schedule since my work place will not let me take days off for interviewing in the same month. Has any one been able to re-schedule without a lot of problems?

Here are my stats:
OOS, 3.88 postbac GPA, 3.2 cum GPA, 31Q (11VS 11PS 09BS)
Secondary Received: 8/16
Submitted Secondary: 9/17
II: 10/14

sooooo....does anyone know if downstate is sending out the first batch of decisions in the mail tomorrow?...had my interview 9/8 so I'm hoping to here back soon

Do we get a response via e-mail or regular mail?
Downstate usually sends responses about a week after the 15th via snail mail. Applicants can get accepted, rejected, put on hold, or put on the alternate list post-interview.
Asyouwereatrio isn't a New Yorker. And most NYers (along with residents of other big cities in the northeast) are not too friendly in general.

Asyouwereatrio isn't a New Yorker. And most NYers (along with residents of other big cities in the northeast) are not too friendly in general.

New Yorkers are generally very friendly, but we get a bad rep for being unfriendly because we don't smile and start a conversation with every person we see. It just isn't practical here. ;)

I also got an interview invite on 10/14! 3.64, 34 (12,11,11), IS.

if you are going to email someone, email the dean of admissions. if you don't hound the big dog you will get no where.

Do u recommend I resend the email directly to the Dean? I just dont want to sound desperate or be too bothersome. BTW are you a student at SUNY Downstate?

As with last year's class, they'll probably start sending out decisions today or something...in slow waves.

Downstate usually sends responses about a week after the 15th via snail mail. Applicants can get accepted, rejected, put on hold, or put on the alternate list post-interview.

Wanderer100 is right--not a NYer..BUT on paper I am :p

Do u recommend I resend the email directly to the Dean? I just dont want to sound desperate or be too bothersome. BTW are you a student at SUNY Downstate?

Well, I emailed my "in the area" request to Admissions Office, and they got back to me promptly (next day)...I was already scheduled for the date I requested. We all had a laugh.

FireItUp is a fellow classmate of ours! :)

Anyone know when decisions start going out? Interviewed on Sept 22nd

Hey guys - I scanned the thread but couldn't find an answer to this question. Anyone know how receptive Downstate is to sending updates about new activities/awards? I was put on hold until my Fall grades come out and was considering updating them with activities in addition. I figure it could only help, but thought I'd check and see if anyone had any thoughts or was in a similar boat. Thanks!

As with last year's class, they'll probably start sending out decisions today or something...in slow waves.

Wanderer100 is right--not a NYer..BUT on paper I am :p

Well, I emailed my "in the area" request to Admissions Office, and they got back to me promptly (next day)...I was already scheduled for the date I requested. We all had a laugh.

FireItUp is a fellow classmate of ours! :)

I emailed them on sept. 27. no answer yet

Yea I see the accepted/alternate checklist? ohhh man...

I noticed it as well. Is there significance to the new checklist? Or is it posted on everyone's page post-interview? Wish there was a way to be certain.

I noticed it as well. Is there significance to the new checklist? Or is it posted on everyone's page post-interview? Wish there was a way to be certain.

I think there is a significance. It does make reference to "your acceptance letter" in small print on top of the checklist.

I think there is a significance. It does make reference to "your acceptance letter" in small print on top of the checklist.

Yeah ajc28, you're right! Here's hoping that it means something!:xf:

You bastards! I have nothing new on mine.

When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

You bastards! I have nothing new on mine.

When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

9/21

looking through last years thread it seems like the updated checklist is either for acceptance or priority waitlist, and that a lot of people got acceptance letters without anything changing on their checklist. so theres really not much to do except to stay neurotic and check the mail five times a day.

9/21

looking through last years thread it seems like the updated checklist is either for acceptance or priority waitlist, and that a lot of people got acceptance letters without anything changing on their checklist. so theres really not much to do except to stay neurotic and check the mail five times a day.
I'm on it :oops:

just got an interview invite!

for people who already interviewed: how many interviewers were you assigned?

yeah the checklist guarantees Alternate list or Acceptance....thinking the letters may start coming in tomorrow!!! It seemed that people who got the checklist this early seemed to almost all get in, but yeah nothing is certain until the letter is in hand....:laugh:

Try to resist the urge to check your status page. Downstate is pretty inconsistent with this stuff. When I got in off the hold list back in June my checklist didn't change until nearly a week after I got the call.

Post interview in mid Sept, it took until December for me to receive my acceptance letter. Don't let "silence" hold you down--although I did call in mid Nov that "no decision has been made yet".

I hope to hear positive news from many of you in the upcoming weeks! Let us know if you have any questions! :luck: :cool:

eh, nothing today...prolly got a little too excited to hear back...

Last edited:
So I emailed downstate yesterday to see if there was any update on my application because i have yet to hear anything back from them. The email said [FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']".You will be notified in writing once further action has been taken".. Does this mean i am getting rejection letter ??? I thought interviews come through emails?.. I am freaking out...

What is a good airport to fly into to go to downstate? JFK or LGA?

Also.. for those that interviewed already where did u guys stay? Hotel-wise? or did u guys stay with students? thanks!

So I emailed downstate yesterday to see if there was any update on my application because i have yet to hear anything back from them. The email said [FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']".You will be notified in writing once further action has been taken".. Does this mean i am getting rejection letter ??? I thought interviews come through emails?.. I am freaking out...

Did you ever get your complete letter in the mail? I'm pretty sure that sentence was copied and pasted from the letter, so you have nothing to worry about except that they explicitly told you not to contact them with status questions.

What is a good airport to fly into to go to downstate? JFK or LGA?

Also.. for those that interviewed already where did u guys stay? Hotel-wise? or did u guys stay with students? thanks!

Both these airports are in Queens and about the same distance to Downstate. Unfortunately, neither have subway lines going in that direction (and LGA has no subway lines connected at all), although you could take the A train from JFK and transfer. I would just go with the airport that has cheaper tickets and/or is closer to your hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.