2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are hotels in brooklyn generally pretty safe? or... should i find something closer to the city?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine got an acceptance letter by mail today! They're out!

Members don't see this ad :)
any OOSers complete early august get an interview?

I just got mine now too! My friend interviewed on Sept. 15th and I was Sept. 14th. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure yours are on the way!

what hotel/where did u all stay for the interview?
any recommendations?

post-interview hold :( does anyone know what my chances are of still getting in? i had an interview in early september so does this mean i just blew my interview?

I just got mine now too! My friend interviewed on Sept. 15th and I was Sept. 14th. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure yours are on the way!

Dude! I interviewed on the 14th as well and I just got an email notification of my acceptance!

Downstate usually sends responses about a week after the 15th via snail mail. Applicants can get accepted, rejected, put on hold, or put on the alternate list post-interview.

Asyouwereatrio isn't a New Yorker. And most NYers (along with residents of other big cities in the northeast) are not too friendly in general.

I am from New York and I can tell you that I'm probably the meanest person in the school. I never smile and I never help.

I am from New York and I can tell you that I'm probably the meanest person in the school. I never smile and I never help.

Troll med student continues to troll. Both in school and online. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)

+1, interviewed on 9/7. Def relieved after getting rejected from upstate on wed :laugh:

Should I keep a cool head if I interviewed in early October and have not heard anything yet? Too early still--right??!?!

RIGHT??!?!

Should I keep a cool head if I interviewed in early October and have not heard anything yet? Too early still--right??!?!

RIGHT??!?!

chillax breh :cool: , altho that is prolly much easier said than done...

RIGHT??!?!

Well, it looks like everyone accepted interviewed in early-mid September... so I would guess that you're fine! Has anyone with an October interview been accepted?

LMAO

Okay, I have some questions for the Downstate students:
Do you know many that commute from Manhattan? I was curious what's the morning commute like via metro?...I'm staying in midtown east, so I just wasn't sure what i shoudl expect in terms of getting to my interview via metro.

Coming from Seattle were we don't have the metro...just needed to ask. When I was in DC, fortunately i was staying near the campus, but when I was going underground, i saw a gigantic mob of commuters around that 8-9am morning blitz. everyone was just congested trying to get on the escalator up. Is it kinda the same thing as well? (i.e. allocate 15 minutes just to get out of the station? lol)

For the school, is there are pretty good sense of community amongst the students? Or is it more independent? Where do the students usually live, and what's access to the school like beyond normal hours?

An R1 who attended upstate told me that if i ever was in NYS, i should probably carry a pocketknife at all times-has your experience in Brooklyn supported that advice? (And I do know that having a knife doesn't mean you'll use it, but i guess my question is that, "how much do you need to be on guard?")

Is everything done online at the school? What kind of network or academic access do you guys use? Is it like Blackboard, or something else?

Sorry for the bunch of questions. Thanks!

lol, I think we are the same person. Live in Seattle, lived in DC, unfamiliar with NYC, and interviewing an downstate...

Also- for the current students- when you say "dorms," do you mean, dorms just for med students? And are they apartment style? Also, what is the campus "vibe" like?

acceptance email yesterday! interviewed 10/4 - really fast turnaround

"On hold for Spring consideration..."

What does this mean?

It means they havent made a decision yet - and they will re-evaluate your application in the spring. If it makes you feel better - I received the same notice after my interview last year..and then in the beginning of summer I was notified that I was on the high priority alternate list - then a few weeks later I was accepted! It's a long journey for you - stay patient. Best of luck

has anyone been accepted by regular mail, but not received an email? oos, interviewed late september

Rejected via snail mail post-interview OOS. Oh well, the school was made for New Yorkers.

Interview invite today for 11/21! I'm trying to get the date changed.

Interviewed there today. Really liked it and the interview was pretty relaxed. Seemed like it would be a good place to attend.

Interviewed there today. Really liked it and the interview was pretty relaxed. Seemed like it would be a good place to attend.

Glad you liked it! Hope you come here next year! We have a very diverse (in all meanings of the word) which is very cohesive, social, and smart at the same time! :D

Might be initially costly for OOS students, but there's always in-state tuition next year! (I'm in that boat right now)

Interviewed here yesterday! I must admit, the school definitely has some age. But when you put it into context of NYC in general, it's pretty normal in my opinion. Having a chance to spend an extra day here helped me get a bit more acclimated to everything-definitely.

I think what is totally winning me over is the state tuition, and the possibility of doing an MD/MPH in 4 years...(12K+ for the MPH, not bad)

The people here were quite nice, and I think they take pride in emphasizing clinicals, and trying not to win people over simply on aesthetics. Besides, if you really hate downstate, the M4s were telling us that you could do all of your elective rotations away from brooklyn (except the required ones)...

I think what really is awesome about this school is that downstate is definitely a safety-net hospital. I've never been to NYPresbyterian, but I could imagine being there having patients reluctant to see me simply because I'm an M3 or an M4. Having worked in a safety-net hospital, I know that the patients in general are often more accommodating and willing to go with the flow of things.

I think what I did like was that my interviewer had the same level of energy that I had during the interview...the others I went to were definitely lobsided which made it awkward at times. woo hoo! go downstate!

Interviewed here yesterday! I must admit, the school definitely has some age. But when you put it into context of NYC in general, it's pretty normal in my opinion. Having a chance to spend an extra day here helped me get a bit more acclimated to everything-definitely.

I think what is totally winning me over is the state tuition, and the possibility of doing an MD/MPH in 4 years...(12K+ for the MPH, not bad)

The people here were quite nice, and I think they take pride in emphasizing clinicals, and trying not to win people over simply on aesthetics. Besides, if you really hate downstate, the M4s were telling us that you could do all of your elective rotations away from brooklyn (except the required ones)...

I think what really is awesome about this school is that downstate is definitely a safety-net hospital. I've never been to NYPresbyterian, but I could imagine being there having patients reluctant to see me simply because I'm an M3 or an M4. Having worked in a safety-net hospital, I know that the patients in general are often more accommodating and willing to go with the flow of things.

I think what I did like was that my interviewer had the same level of energy that I had during the interview...the others I went to were definitely lobsided which made it awkward at times. woo hoo! go downstate!

I was there too. Were you one of the kids from seattle? haha

are acceptances by email or snail mail? or both? i interviewed here (loved every second of it) on 9/27 and haven't heard from them.

Still waiting to hear something...been under "initial review" since 7/25.

i received snail mail acceptance notification and then much later same day got an email serving as confirmation of acceptance with a copy of the acceptance response form. just sent mine in td. Very psyched and grateful to have this acceptance

complete early august OOS still waiting for an interview...anyone in the same position??

+1, gonna send a update letter soon.

I recently sent an update letter, but that was because my activities were significant enough to hopefully warrant a change. They were very quick in updating my checklist so I say to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.