2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
complete early august OOS still waiting for an interview...anyone in the same position??

Been complete since 7/25...

Members don't see this ad.

Does downstate send complete notifications because my checklist has been marked off since like September 20th and I haven't heard a word from them. :confused:

Does downstate send complete notifications because my checklist has been marked off since like September 20th and I haven't heard a word from them. :confused:

They usually SNAIL MAIL a complete letter to your address on file. This year though, I have heard that they email you a complete notification if you electronically submitted your application. How long has it been? I'd give them some time to notify you, despite the green checklist.

If everything on your checklist is green, then I wouldn't worry about it too much--at this point, it should be letters, application fees, primary, and secondary applications themselves.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything has been marked off since around September 20th or so. That's over a month just to get completed.:(

same boat you are... :/

debating about a letter/email..what u think?

I interviewed here Oct 5 and still have not heard anything. I know they said 4-6 weeks but any comments/feedback from accepted students would be much appreciated. Their online system is useless and it is making me anxious.

I interviewed here Oct 5 and still have not heard anything. I know they said 4-6 weeks but any comments/feedback from accepted students would be much appreciated. Their online system is useless and it is making me anxious.

Interviewed end of September and still no word. I called twice (once a week prior) and they said that no decision has been made yet

complete early august OOS still waiting for an interview...anyone in the same position??

+1. completed end of August. I heard Downstate don't reject until the end? please please please don't let me be in that club.

got the acceptance letter 10/21 but the letter was dated the 10/17, had interview 9/8 so it took bit more than a month to hear back but so did someone that interviewed a week later so a bit more than a month is about how much time they seem to take to come to a decision...

in terms on the online status, its hit/miss as its been mentioned earlier in the thread. some people got the 'Accepted/Alternate List Checklist' clearly meaning they were one or the other but then again alot don't get it and still got in so there's not much to take away from it....so ya just gotta wait, lol.

my 'acceptance reply form' just got checked off, good timing kuz i just found out i got owned by my biochem midterm td, haha, but who cares! :D

+1. completed end of August. I heard Downstate don't reject until the end? please please please don't let me be in that club.

Completed end of July....I guess its not looking too good for me :(

Does anyone know about the availability of student hosts at Downstate?

Do people get rejected preinterview? Under review since the end of July. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold for spring. Downstate students, any idea how common it is for people to get off that list?

I recently sent an update letter, but that was because my activities were significant enough to hopefully warrant a change. They were very quick in updating my checklist so I say to go for it.

Hey Little Luck... Did you send your letter via email? I have an update and am wondering if they would want a hard copy of it sent via Snail Mail.

Neural Network: What exactly do you ask them when you call? What the status of your decision is?

Neural Network: What exactly do you ask them when you call? What the status of your decision is?

I asked them if they could check to see if a decision had been made on my application. In my case, they always responded "no" which is the truth since I am on hold now. I warn you though, they are not happy with these types of calls so don't be surprised if they become short with you.

For those of you who have received acceptances, did you receive them to the current or permanent address? I'm curious to know if I can expect them or if I should have my parents on the look out.

Hold for spring. Downstate students, any idea how common it is for people to get off that list?

I'm currently an MS-1 here and I can tell ya that I was on hold for spring.. then was put on the alternate list in early June..and got off the waitlist at the end of June. So it's a long waiting game - but stay positive and send in updates!!

For those of you who have received acceptances, did you receive them to the current or permanent address? I'm curious to know if I can expect them or if I should have my parents on the look out.

I'm not sure because I used my permanent address as my current because I was in the process of moving when I was applying. My friend got her acceptance to her current address, though.

I'm currently an MS-1 here and I can tell ya that I was on hold for spring.. then was put on the alternate list in early June..and got off the waitlist at the end of June. So it's a long waiting game - but stay positive and send in updates!!

Should I wait until Spring to send updates?

Hey Little Luck... Did you send your letter via email? I have an update and am wondering if they would want a hard copy of it sent via Snail Mail.

I emailed it as an attachment and made it look as official as possible if that even makes any sense

Does anyone know the email for the dean/assistant dean of admissions? I havent been able to find it.

Does anyone know the email for the dean/assistant dean of admissions? I havent been able to find it.
In my opinion, that means you probably shouldn't send stuff to her directly. Just send something to the admissions office and ask them to forward it to her.

My downstate checklist was completeted on the fourth of october and I haven't recieved any repsonse, good or bad. I was wondering whether thats a bad thing. :(

My GPA is a 3.9, and my MCAT is a 33 if that info helps..

has anyone who was complete in july receive an interview lately?

For you and anyone else wondering - I contacted them about how they prefer updates to be sent and they said you can email admissions with updates. Just make sure to put "MD applicant" somewhere in the subject line

Had my interview yesterday. About how long should I expect to be waiting to hear from them? Also, all decisions are out by snail mail??? Nooo, just email me pleaseee. :(

Had my interview yesterday. About how long should I expect to be waiting to hear from them? Also, all decisions are out by snail mail??? Nooo, just email me pleaseee. :(

If you went to the anatomy lab on a tour, you might have seen come in to do some work around noon!

In my opinion, that means you probably shouldn't send stuff to her directly. Just send something to the admissions office and ask them to forward it to her.

the letter will probably go unread if you send it to admissions, in my opinion.

the letter will probably go unread if you send it to admissions, in my opinion.
It will be added to your file. It probably has no bearing until they reread your file, so its utility probably isn't all that high.

ACCEPTED TODAY!!!!!! :) :) :) interviewed 10/11

Congrats! I'm an MS1 and I can tell you I love this place. Everyone here is super nice and there is a real community feeling. Having more people at an anatomy lab table is great! Less work for everyone, and since the lab is open 24/7, you can go in whenever you want and learn after class.

Last edited:
I am an IS non-minority with a 29 mcat & 3.9 gpa. Is there any chance of me getting an interview with Downstate?

How long did it take for you guys to hear from them (interview/rejection) after your secondary was verified and was ready for review?

I did research at downstate and i would so love to get an interview herrrrrreeeeee!!

Status
Not open for further replies.