2011-2012 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was complete on Aug 3rd and got the invite on Aug 30th. Is your gpa/mcat borderline?

i dont understand how this works... Are apps being reviewed as first come first serve or something like that? Does it mean they are processing apps that completed over 2 months ago? Can ppl that got interviews confirm when they complete and when they got interview invites/rejection/hold?

Members don't see this ad.

YAYYYY!!!! I got an interview (checking via status page, haven't gotten email yet)

Stats: In state, non-trad (graduated undergrad in 2004). GPA 3.4 in both. MCAT 30N.

I applied on 7/13. Took MCAT on 7/6. Verified on AMCAS on 8/13. Complete on 9/7. Interview invite on 9/22.

Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition increase again, just in case they didn't let incoming students know. Huge for OOS students, from 48 to 53. IS is 24.8 to 27.

Damn. 2 years ago it was 18K... :( Almost 10K increase in 2 years...

Damn. 2 years ago it was 18K... :( Almost 10K increase in 2 years...

more. during interview day they told us NY has decided to designate ppl coming to the state for education as OOS for all 4 years, no more resident status in 2 years. the only way to get IS residency is to buy a house :thumbdown:

If you don't mind me asking...people who have interviews...what are your stats...OOS/IS, MCAT, GPA?

Interview invite via status page! Complete late August. Had to schedule for early November because all the October dates (2 left) conflicted with other interviews.

How do you write the secondary essays? The second prompt is relatively easy, but the first prompt is difficult... Any ideas?

:D interview via status page! 3.5-3.6 30Q in-state. Unfortunately, because I will be away in December and November dates conflicted with other interviews I had to take a January date :(

it's a program for people who want to spend rest of their lives practicing on rural patients. didn't know that there is a farming area in NY :confused:

No. It's definitely geared towards people who want to do primary care, but you don't necessarily have to be dedicated to going to a rural area for the rest of your life. It's either a 3 or a 9 month experience (up to you) that gives you the experience of working with a primary care physician in a sort of, more longitudinal type way. Not all of the places you go are super rural, I think Ithaca and Cortland are examples.

http://www.upstate.edu/fmed/rmed/

Anyway, some people do it just for the experience.

Oh, not sure how I ended up replying to a post from July! but just leaving it up here in case anyone cared about the rmed program

Last edited:
No news since being complete in early September...

3.88/36, IS

Just got placed on pre-interview hold :(

Where's the in-state love??

Members don't see this ad :)
holddd... booo

anyone has any stories to restore optimism?

hold here too...booo

Hey guys sorry to hear you were on hold...what were your stats if you don't mind me asking. Haven't heard back yet and am wondering just know I can gauge what may happen...thanks

Hey guys sorry to hear you were on hold...what were your stats if you don't mind me asking. Haven't heard back yet and am wondering just know I can gauge what may happen...thanks

AMCAS submitted 7/9, verified 8/15, secondary completed 9/12
placed on pre-interview hold

Last edited:

Complete 8/31
On hold via email 9/29

30R
cGPA: 3.71
sGPA: 3.89
In state

hoping for some love soon.

Also put on hold

32R/ 3.9
Instate

I really hope they hand out interviews to people that are put on hold...

Sounds like an awful lot of us are put on hold. maybe they'll come back around for us.

Don't leave us behind SUNY!!

For those placed on hold, when were you guys complete? And were you IS or OOS?

Yay!! got an interview yesterday....but had to settle for a date in december due other commitments/time conflicts.

Anyone interviewed yet?? Please let us know how it went...closed file? conversational or tense? thanks!!

Do they send you an email if you're put on hold? Or do I have to keep checking my status waiting for it... (not optimistic)

Just received interview invite for the md/phd program!

Complete Sept. 5th.

Hey, if anyone has already had an interview do you mind sharing how it was? I am going in for an interview soon and am getting pretty nervous, so any info would be really helpful. Thanks!

Hey, if anyone has already had an interview do you mind sharing how it was? I am going in for an interview soon and am getting pretty nervous, so any info would be really helpful. Thanks!

being nervous is conducive to performing well. very small interview group, maybe 10-15 interviewees w/you. everyone is incredibly friendly. 2 interviews, can go 30 mins - 1 hr, both closed file, they only have access to the essays you write. both interviews, MD and student, were utterly relaxing- it's like having a conversation w/a friend, except that you're talking about medicine. no tricks, nothing unique to prepare for, just know your amcas app end to end (you should already know it anyway) and reread your secondary essays. read up on upstate's programs and offerings, since the interviewers are very knowledgeable and you can ask them their opinions on the facilities.

I've certainly been making some sort of obvious mistake, but has anyone had trouble checking his/her status online? Whenever I sign in to the site it just gives options for applying to different upstate programs...

If my memory serves me right, you have to start a new application on Upstate's secondary page. It only involves some information about yourself. Start an app and choose the md program.

After that, you can click on the app you started to view your status.

My "congrats on getting an interview" page went away. Does that mean that I've been reviewed already? Did that disappear for anyone else?

Edit: it also happened after my interview

Last edited:
If my memory serves me right, you have to start a new application on Upstate's secondary page. It only involves some information about yourself. Start an app and choose the md program.

After that, you can click on the app you started to view your status.

My "congrats on getting an interview" page went away. Does that mean that I've been reviewed already? Did that disappear for anyone else?

My "congrats on getting an interview" page went away after the interview.

For those who have interviewed, are we going to hear back Monday?

That's what the dean told us. Time will tell.

On last year's thread people's status's seemed to come up as "decision made" before they got the email and/or call but I am not seeing that status yet. :(

Has anyone that was put on HOLD received an invite yet?

Accepted at 10:15 am!

No "decision made" notice on their website.

congratulations!!! :)

did you find out via phone or email?

Accepted!! they sent an email. Good luck everyone!

Accepted!!!!!!!!! 3.8/33

So Happy!!!!!

congratulations to all of you who just got accepted!! that's so exciting. if you don't mind, when did you interview?

To those that interviewed:

How late does the day run? I have work the day before and after my interview and am trying to figure out travel logistics to get back in time.

Help is greatly appreciated :)

To those that interviewed:

How late does the day run? I have work the day before and after my interview and am trying to figure out travel logistics to get back in time.

Help is greatly appreciated :)
Hi Velour,

My second interview began at 1:30 and lasted for just over an hour. I think that was the latest/longest interview time of the day. So I'd say 3:00 at the latest. Hope that helps

It should be over by 3pm or so at the latest.

Hi Velour,

My second interview began at 1:30 and lasted for just over an hour. I think that was the latest/longest interview time of the day. So I'd say 3:00 at the latest. Hope that helps
Thank you, kind folks! So I should have no problem getting to the bus station by 5pm, right?

:oops:

Thank you, kind folks! So I should have no problem getting to the bus station by 5pm, right?

:oops:

probably shouldn't take you more than an hour, but don't take my word for it.

Also I had an interview at 2:15, I was the last one there. It ended at around 3:05~3:10 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.