2011-2012 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. As a medical school that is focused on primary care with some emphasis on rural health, we are interested in the areas our applicants are considering of practicing. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest. Please list them individually in a bulleted format in the text box provided below. If you are interested in something other than primary care, please indicate your interest in the OTHER category. Also, all applicants must answer Question #2. (Options: underserved, rural, research, academics, primary care, other)
  2. List your activities (completed, current or planned) related to the selections made in question #1.
  3. Have you had to repeat, withdraw from or drop a course?
  4. If you answered yes to question #3 above, please list and explain why these courses had to be dropped/repeated/withdrawn.
  5. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)?
  6. In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)
  7. (Optional) If you are a dual degree applicant (MD/MBA, MD/PhD, JD/MD); please describe your motivation (in 500 words or less) to obtain a dual degree and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself)
  8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less)?
Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Submitted secondary! Good luck to everyone (and Guns up to DoItToIt, hahaha)

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent accessed the secondary yet, but are questions 1 and 2 pretty much the same. Since ques 1 asks to briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest, wont that essentially have a list just like ques 2?

I havent accessed the secondary yet, but are questions 1 and 2 pretty much the same. Since ques 1 asks to briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest, wont that essentially have a list just like ques 2?
Question 2 is just the list for question 1 (meaning that on question 1, all you do is check a box. question 2 is where you provide your list)
It's similar for questions 3 and 4. Question 3 you just answer yes or no, and question 4 you explain why you repeated, withdrew, or dropped

How brief/detailed are you all making your answers for #2? Quick bullets, paragraphs, somewhere in between...

I think I might have written too much on these...

I did it like the SW one. Bullets...

Okay thanks! That's what I was thinking, but wanted another opinion before I changed mine.

I'm not sure if its the right way to do it, but since it said list I told myself bullets it is.

Good luck! I was really happy to finish all my secondaries. I hear nothing but great things from TTU-HSC

Yeah, I know these administration folks read A LOT so bullets is probably the right way to go.

I visited the Tech medical school for two of the premedical conferences. I had some misconceptions before I went, but the school really blew me away. I have visited six of the Texas medical schools and actually feel I would fit at Tech best...so I'm trying to nail the secondary!

Thanks for the help. Hope we both get interviews!

1. In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)
  2. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less)?
For these questions, are you providing reasons why your ideal practice is ideal and why you enjoy certain activities? Or just sticking to plain descriptions?

Thanks!

alittle half and half

For those who have submitted secondary, when you click on applicant status review what does it say? Mine says "No Status Found" but I only submitted yesterday, so maybe it takes time for them to actually process the submission. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have submitted secondary, when you click on applicant status review what does it say? Mine says "No Status Found" but I only submitted yesterday, so maybe it takes time for them to actually process the submission. Thanks!

I submitted my secondary a while ago. And my TMDSAS was transmitted 5/31. Mine also says "No Status Found". I am guessing they haven't downloaded the primary applications yet?

Mine says that too even though I submitted last week. I dunno why I have "no status found" when I'm pretty sure I completed all the components of the application.

I submitted my secondary a while ago. And my TMDSAS was transmitted 5/31. Mine also says "No Status Found". I am guessing they haven't downloaded the primary applications yet?

Mine says that too even though I submitted last week. I dunno why I have "no status found" when I'm pretty sure I completed all the components of the application.

We had the same issues last year, you pretty much have no status until you get invited to interview or are accepted and Merlin has a ton of glitches so don't worry about what it says.

We had the same issues last year, you pretty much have no status until you get invited to interview or are accepted and Merlin has a ton of glitches so don't worry about what it says.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you remember around when they started sending out interview invites?

Im pretty sure TTU-Lubbock had their first interviews starting in early-ish August

Thanks for the heads up! Do you remember around when they started sending out interview invites?
From last year's thread, the first interview invites went out on July 14 for Aug 6

Is anyone using the same response for this particular question in the UTSW secondary?

UTSW: In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

Tech: In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)

Kinda. I fixed mine a little bit

I'm not sure if its the right way to do it, but since it said list I told myself bullets it is.

Good luck! I was really happy to finish all my secondaries. I hear nothing but great things from TTU-HSC

Hi BMEN! I was a BMEN from A&M myself. Graduated in dec. 08. Glad to see the program is still going strong :) Good luck with your tech application, it's a GREAT place and I couldn't be happier here.

Hi BMEN! I was a BMEN from A&M myself. Graduated in dec. 08. Glad to see the program is still going strong :) Good luck with your tech application, it's a GREAT place and I couldn't be happier here.
Howdy! Glad to see TAMU BMEN's out in the medical world. I took a look at your med apps page and it gave me hope. We are around similar numbers and stats(including SI and one of the organizations). Hopefully i'll matriculate into one of the texas schools!

Is anyone using the same response for this particular question in the UTSW secondary?

UTSW: In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

Tech: In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)

Yeah, this is what I did. Cut and paste :D

I liked UTSW's question more, I didn't just want to describe where I envision myself.

Out of curiosity, what does your status say now?
Congrats btw!

Still says "No Status Found". I got an email saying I was invited for an interview and the Scheduling tab allowed me to select a date. I guess they offer interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

3.4 32R OOS, although I did spend quite a few years in TX growing up. I was kinda surprised to get an offer, TBH.

...annnddd here is to another day of checking your email every hour! really hope more of us hear something soon today!

Still says "No Status Found". I got an email saying I was invited for an interview and the Scheduling tab allowed me to select a date. I guess they offer interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays.

3.4 32R OOS, although I did spend quite a few years in TX growing up. I was kinda surprised to get an offer, TBH.

same boat as you! but i just got verified at tmdsas....crossing my fingers for an interview

got an interview. first day is wed aug 3 i believe

did you get to select a date? mine only had a wed option

Out of curiosity are the only interview invites OOS applicants so far? There hasn't been much action going on from TTU Lubbock for a few days now.

Out of curiosity are the only interview invites OOS applicants so far? There hasn't been much action going on from TTU Lubbock for a few days now.

Good question! Was wondering the same thing myself.

Send me an interview invite Texas Tech - Lubbock!

Status
Not open for further replies.