2011-2012 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also intrigued by this school, but I have no ties to the area. Trying to decide if I should apply or not...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also intrigued by this school, but I have no ties to the area. Trying to decide if I should apply or not...

I decided not to apply for this reason. Not being able to legitimately answer one of the questions on the secondary seemed like a death sentence to me!

anyone else find the secondary horrendous? I am having a really hard time answering all these questions :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have a problem upchurch. Do you know anything about NE PA? What problems are you having?

I'm not so sure what the difference is between the essay asking why we are a good fit for the school and the essay asking why I should be admitted.

is there a place where we can check the status of our application?

I decided not to apply for this reason. Not being able to legitimately answer one of the questions on the secondary seemed like a death sentence to me!

Ugh! I was so stupid to apply to this school before checking out these forums... I have absolutely no tie to PA (let alone a particular part of the state!) so it looks like I won't be filling out the secondary.

So, what do you do in this type of situation? Once my primary app is verified, is there a way to "withdraw" my app from specific schools? Or do I just blow off the secondary altogether and let them reject me?

Ugh! I was so stupid to apply to this school before checking out these forums... I have absolutely no tie to PA (let alone a particular part of the state!) so it looks like I won't be filling out the secondary.

So, what do you do in this type of situation? Once my primary app is verified, is there a way to "withdraw" my app from specific schools? Or do I just blow off the secondary altogether and let them reject me?
You just don't complete the secondary and you won't be considered. You didn't pay the fee so you saved money :)

any of you guys know what to say to the admissions committee besides "let me in"??

or know what issues NE PA is dealing with?

any of you guys know what to say to the admissions committee besides "let me in"??

or know what issues NE PA is dealing with?
For the first question, I would say you're awesome and I'm awesome so we're a good fit. Seriously, that's what the first two essay questions were. List what you believe is important and elaborate. Now, they listed what they think is important in their website, so they'll see if you believe in the core values they believe.

For the second question, Commonwealth is in Scranton right? They're in disarray since Michael Scott left town, so you might wanna touch that point. It ain't Scranton without Michael Scott the regional manager of Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin partnered with Sabre

For the first question, I would say you're awesome and I'm awesome so we're a good fit. Seriously, that's what the first two essay questions were. List what you believe is important and elaborate. Now, they listed what they think is important in their website, so they'll see if you believe in the core values they believe.

For the second question, Commonwealth is in Scranton right? They're in disarray since Michael Scott left town, so you might wanna touch that point. It ain't Scranton without Michael Scott the regional manager of Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin partnered with Sabre

Sweet thanks! I really did want to bring up The Office somewhere, but decided against it haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone instate... how long between verification of AMCAS and secondary email? I feel like I've been waiting for weeks!

Can someone tell me how to pay the application fee? I submitted the secondary but now it won't let me log back into the system. I don't know what the heck is going on.

Did anyones secondary page reflect that their letters of recommendation were downloaded? It mentioned in the secondary confirmation email that is one of the steps but I didn't see anything afterwards

anyone else find the secondary horrendous? I am having a really hard time answering all these questions :(

Hi. Could you copy and paste the secondary questions for me and the others?

Hi. Could you copy and paste the secondary questions for me and the others?

From a previous post:
1) List the 5 most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.
2) Choose one attribute from the above list, and describe one personal experience that best exemplifies that attribute.
3) Given TCMC's unique missions and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution.
4) TCMC values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion?
5) Using 1 - 3 sentences, explain how your admission to TCMC could assist in addressing the health care needs of northeastern Pennsylvania.
6) If you could speak directly to the Admissions Committee, explain why you should be admitted to The Commonwealth Medical College.
7) Do you verify that you are able to perform essential functions listed in (click on link)

2000 characters max.

Heads up guys. My AMCAS was complete weeks ago and I never received a secondary invite. Within 10 minutes of sending an email I had a link and PIN in hand. Was told they were not sure why I had not. Moral: don't wait like me. :rolleyes:

im still not sure how to answer #5. Its funny how the shortest responses are the hardest.

congrats!! when were you sent to screeners?

edit: I was sent to screeners August 19. I was complete on July 27

Good luck to you!! Hope you get an interview as well:thumbup:

Last edited:

Congrats! How do you know when you were sent to screeners? On my status page online it says when I was complete and under the interview tab, it says "no interviews to be scheduled" :confused:

Congrats! How do you know when you were sent to screeners? On my status page online it says when I was complete and under the interview tab, it says "no interviews to be scheduled" :confused:

Under the admissions tab, there is "Applicant Status" and it gives you a summary of your entire application as far as when everything was received/sent.

Under the admissions tab, there is "Applicant Status" and it gives you a summary of your entire application as far as when everything was received/sent.

Thanks, mine has the fee, AMCAS, and completion date. So I should expect to see an additional line stating the date my app is send to screeners?

I'm an MD 1 at TCMC so can offer little helpful advice. We have been told that the financial stuff is getting resolved and that the school will be fine. Considering the local excitement and support for the school it is difficult to imagine it not happening. As for the strong ties to NEPA. Many people in our class had them, that is true, however a significang portion had none. I did not-I am from NYC metro area and had never been to scranton until my interview. They look for people that balance each other in the class, we have people from across the united states as well as some born outside the United States. Good Luck and maybe I'll see some of you at interview days!

hmm, I was sent to screeners before you. I wonder if that implies a pending rejection... :(

congrats again to all that got invites!

Under my admissions interview it also says "No appointment to be scheduled for application year 2012" . I take it that it says this for everyone until they are invited/scheduled for an interview. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, now that I think about it I have been complete since 7/27 and haven't heard anything either way.....

Is this school kidding me with their secondary questions? With their financial troubles it's making it an easier decision for me to not fill out their secondary application.

Interview Invite!!

I will be interviewing on Sept .12 :D

If any one wants to split a hotel or something the night before...let me know. I would like save some mullaaa

Cheers

Last edited:
Interview Invite!!

I will be interviewing on Sept .12 :D

If any one wants to split a hotel or something the night before...let me know. I would like save some mullaaa

Cheers

Did you get an email or was it a status change??

Interview Invite!! I will be there on September 23!

+1 on the Interview Invite! :)

Submitted 13-Aug.

+2! Will be there on Sept. 23rd
EDIT: anyone have hotel advice?

Last edited:
i think the best bet is the hilton. It's 100 bucks a night, but they provided shuttle service to and from the airport at no additional cost, and its really close to the med school. Ill be there sept. 12th, if anyone wants to split a room.

Congratz on all who are interviewing!

On a different note, has anyone else been complete for 5+ weeks, and whose application has not been sent to screeners yet?? When I called to ask about it, the lady told me that they send apps to screeners in "random" batches :confused: But if this is true, it would mean that early submission is pointless...

Congratz on all who are interviewing!

On a different note, has anyone else been complete for 5+ weeks, and whose application has not been sent to screeners yet?? When I called to ask about it, the lady told me that they send apps to screeners in "random" batches :confused: But if this is true, it would mean that early submission is pointless...

I think they send them to screeners in random batches because it is a non-rolling admissions. The way that they have it set up is such that everyone that interviews before December hears back on December 16 and then people between December and February hear back February 24, and then there is a final wave that will hear back by mid April. Personally, I submitted my secondary on 7/5/11, wasn't complete until 8/11/11 because I guess they were waiting to receive my final letter of recommendation, was sent to screeners on 8/19/11, and received an interview invite on 8/31/11. When were you complete?

I think they send them to screeners in random batches because it is a non-rolling admissions. The way that they have it set up is such that everyone that interviews before December hears back on December 16 and then people between December and February hear back February 24, and then there is a final wave that will hear back by mid April. Personally, I submitted my secondary on 7/5/11, wasn't complete until 8/11/11 because I guess they were waiting to receive my final letter of recommendation, was sent to screeners on 8/19/11, and received an interview invite on 8/31/11. When were you complete?

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know any of this. I was complete 07/25. So they don't send applications to screeners based on stats? Hmm, okay. I guess I need to be a little more patient :)

Other than DrZiggy, is anyone else interviewing on September 23rd?

I got straight up rejected 5 minutes after paying the $100 fee lol or should i say fine in this case.

I got straight up rejected 5 minutes after paying the $100 fee lol or should i say fine in this case.

I wasn't even aware they give straight rejections, I haven't heard anything since june when I submitted. Did they email you?

Does anyone know what the interviews are like? Relaxed? Zinger type questions? Open/closed file? How's the interview day in general?

Other than DrZiggy, is anyone else interviewing on September 23rd?

I actually had to move my TCMC interview due to a conflict. Anyone interesting in splitting hotel for October 7th date?

Status
Not open for further replies.