2011-2012 Tufts Maine Track Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbleboy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
let the discussions begin

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there Nov 4th, super-excited !

Does anyone know how and when they start sending out acceptance/rejection decisions for people who have already interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing here on Dec 2nd. I LOVE this program. People who have already interviewed---what did you think?

Love this program! Hoping for the best... :xf:

Does anyone have a sense of how many Maine residents they interview? I know last year there were 74 Maine res applicants, 26 of whom matriculated, but I'm wondering how many of those 74 applicants actually got interviews. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know how and when they start sending out acceptance/rejection decisions for people who have already interviewed?
From what I gathered, the committee meets after we interview to discuss how we did/our applications, and then around the 3rd or 4th week of the month, Dr. Bing-You goes to boston with their decisions and presents our cases to the Boston admissions people, and once they "ok" it, acceptance or waitlist or rejection calls go out the first week or so of the following month.

Does anyone have a sense of how many Maine residents they interview? I know last year there were 74 Maine res applicants, 26 of whom matriculated, but I'm wondering how many of those 74 applicants actually got interviews. Thanks in advance!

I don't know, but I do know that all the applicants from my school (Colby/Bates/Bowdoin) got an interview here. Most of them, however, did not get an offer, which is strange, but there you have it. In general though, they really want to get good ME applicants in to this program, so if you are a reasonably competitive applicant, (>3.3, >30), I think you have a very good shot at getting an interview as a ME resident.

Have any non-ME residents or undergrads interviewed yet? I grew up in New England, school in NH, and really interested in this program. Congrats to all who have interviewed so far!!

Members don't see this ad :)
so for those that have interviewed, I guess we could potentially here as early as next friday the 4th?

so for those that have interviewed, I guess we could potentially here as early as next friday the 4th?

I think so! Based on past years, it looks like calls go out the first Thursday of the month... :xf:

I think so! Based on past years, it looks like calls go out the first Thursday of the month... :xf:

Accepted!!!!! I got the call from Dr. Neumeyer today - my first acceptance. So relieved and so stoked. Good luck everyone!

Accepted! Can't believe it, so happy. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Accepted too! Soo excited! Good luck to everyone!

congrats all! hopefully they'll be handing out a few more acceptances the rest of the week. do they call no matter what? either acceptance, waitlist, or rejection?

Do they do more than one round of acceptances for the Maine Track? I know you all probably don't know, but maybe they said something at the interview day?

Congrats/good luck to all

Do they do more than one round of acceptances for the Maine Track? I know you all probably don't know, but maybe they said something at the interview day?

Congrats/good luck to all

This is the impression I have based mostly on what they told us at the interview, but also on SDN threads from past application cycles:

The MMC adcom meets at the end of each month to review those who have interviewed so far in that month, as well as anyone who interviewed in past months but wasn't accepted/rejected. They make decisions on who they want to accept/reject/rereview at a later time, and Dr. Bing-You then takes those decisions to the Tufts adcom, who has to approve as well. (I would assume that they usually approve the MMC recommendations.) Dr. Neumeyer (Tufts' Dean of Admissions) then calls those who are accepted at the beginning of the following month, and rejection/rereview emails go out around that time as well.

So basically it's a monthly process, and if you interview in the first three weeks or so of a given month, you can expect to hear back on your status in the first week of the next month - and anybody who doesn't get an official acceptance/rejection in a given monthly cycle is rereviewed in the next one.

Last edited:
Has anyone who got the call from Dean Neumeyer heard anything more from Tufts/MMC? Radio silence here...

Has anyone who got the call from Dean Neumeyer heard anything more from Tufts/MMC? Radio silence here...

Same - nothing yet, but he said it would be on its way from Dr. Bing-You eventually. Does anyone possibly remember when Dr. Bing-You said we would be notified about whether or not we'd be awarded scholarships? I remember him talking about it, but guess I didn't write down the date anywhere.

Congrats acceptees! Very cool. How was the MMI format? Super-intense? Any curveballs?

Congrats acceptees! Very cool. How was the MMI format? Super-intense? Any curveballs?

It was actually kind of fun! I thought it would be stressful but everyone was really nice and each station went by faster than I expected. No real curveballs, and they don't expect perfect answers. It seemed like it was more important to see your approach to the questions/scenarios. I did wish I knew a little more about rural medicine though.

I see you're interviewing tomorrow, good luck!:luck:

It was actually kind of fun! I thought it would be stressful but everyone was really nice and each station went by faster than I expected. No real curveballs, and they don't expect perfect answers. It seemed like it was more important to see your approach to the questions/scenarios. I did wish I knew a little more about rural medicine though.

I see you're interviewing tomorrow, good luck!:luck:

Thanks!

Anybody else have any advice on the MMI format? I've never done this before.

Any admitted students heard back about scholarships yet?

Any admitted students heard back about scholarships yet?

When they send the acceptance they give you contact info for someone at Maine Medical Center. I contacted her and she told me that scholarship offers should go out for accepted students this week. Hoping to hear early next week!:xf:

When they send the acceptance they give you contact info for someone at Maine Medical Center. I contacted her and she told me that scholarship offers should go out for accepted students this week. Hoping to hear early next week!:xf:

Great, thanks!

Just got the scholarship letter in the mail! Super excited for this program!

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the MMI format? Or is it even possible to prepare? Thanks!

Just got the scholarship letter in the mail! Super excited for this program!

Same! For some reason it got sent to my permanent address. Counting the days to aug 6!

Scholarship ?

Yes, they give out up to twenty $25, 000 a year scholarships to Maine residents or students with very strong ties to Maine. You get notified of your scholarship status a few weeks after getting accepted.

So hopefully someone is much more anal and determined than I am : are we expecting calls on Thursday?

haha - no responeses. Maybe "anal" was the wrong word to use (or maybe I am the most anal person here!). Let me rephrase: does anybody who has read through the past years Maine Track threads know when we can expect calls, other than "early December"?

haha - no responeses. Maybe "anal" was the wrong word to use (or maybe I am the most anal person here!). Let me rephrase: does anybody who has read through the past years Maine Track threads know when we can expect calls, other than "early December"?
I received a phone call on the first of November (which was a Tuesday I believe) and I interviewed in October. Therefore, based on my experience, it seems that they start calling accepted students on the first day of the month after you interview. But at the same time, I wouldn't freak out if you don't get a call today. I don't think they necessarily have a certain day of the week that they call on. It's just any time after the admissions committee meets, which is usually around the last week of every month. I hope you get some good news!

I received a phone call on the first of November (which was a Tuesday I believe) and I interviewed in October. Therefore, based on my experience, it seems that they start calling accepted students on the first day of the month after you interview. But at the same time, I wouldn't freak out if you don't get a call today. I don't think they necessarily have a certain day of the week that they call on. It's just any time after the admissions committee meets, which is usually around the last week of every month. I hope you get some good news!

Thanks for the info. Alls quiet today so far...

Congrats on interview invites you two - good luck!

To those who interviewed in November, when are these calls going out already!? Not today apparently...

To those who interviewed in November, when are these calls going out already!? Not today apparently...

I interviewed at the end of October, so I didn't hear anything beginning of November, obviously. Haven't heard anything yet this month. I'll post if I do!

I interviewed in Nov as well. I thought we'd know by now. I imagine some admissions committee members schedules got crossed as it appears no one has heard anything. I bet they notify sometime this week...

Don't wanna get your hopes up, but I got my call at about 8 pm EST, so you never know what can happen!

Aaaaand you just got my hopes up :laugh:

I am from Tufts regular aplicant pool and thats what the situation is there as well..first calls were made at 8pm...getting nervous/excited/poor (by eating ice cream), etc!

Just got a Maine track interview offer this morning. I selected a time-slot (I believe Jan 6th) and then I clicked save, and it then appeared to accept my selection but I'm not positive I'm not sure if someone sniped the last spot at that time before I saved it or if I sniped the last spot because then that spot appeared to be full. Is there any way to tell which slot you are currently registered for? When I refollow the link it doesn't show me anything besides the list of times again, and since most times are filled I don't want to select a new time if I got the Jan 6th slot. Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.