2011-2012 : TUFTS vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbleboy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -- this may not be AS obvious as it seems.

Clearly tufts has a better reputation but the RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH. tuition is ridiculous.

When it comes down to it, a medical school education from either school can get me where I want to be - which is orthopedic surgery. either way i'd have to do well.

what do you guys think about one over the other? boston vs. ny too

Members don't see this ad.

rent1.jpg

Just how much is the COA between the two schoos? Which did you like better? Does either school have a specific program that interests you?

Just curious: did you get in to Tufts in the past week or so (i.e. after being deferred)?

I would probably picks Tufts in your situation, but I don't know much about NYMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
at those prices, i would pick tufts 100%
nymc is in valhalla which is a decent distance away from nyc. metronorth is relatiely quick but costly while a bus/subway combination can take well over an hour. the campus itself is very nice, compared to tufts which within boston.

I interviewed at Tufts and loved it. In your situation I'd pick Tufts in a heartbeat (and find some roommates).

Tufts especially for a competitive specialty like that. You'll be maybe 50 grand more in debt so really not that bad big picture

erg I would never pay that much for tufts...great school but it's so incredibly expensive....

If the difference is less than ~10-15k a year, I'd say it's fairly negligible. If it's a great total price difference than I'd go with w/e is cheaper, I think both schools are pretty comparable in terms of greatness (in a good way).

Tufts, for reasons already discussed. I think it would be significantly easier to match into orthopedics coming out of Tufts than NYMC.

The cost might be slightly higher but its choosing between paying an arm and a leg at NYMC vs an arm, leg, and toe at Tufts. Go to Tufts, its a better program. And NYMC is close to NYC but its not readily accessible, you have to get to the train station and then take a train etc. Easy choice here though, go with Tufts.

Status
Not open for further replies.