2011-2012 UMDNJ-RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

From the MSAR I see that they take barely any OOS. I just got the secondary but it's really long =/
I'm a CA resident but have strong family ties to NJ and specifically the area around RWJ (my aunt actually works at RWJ university hospital). Low BCPM GPA (3.4ish) but high MCAT (37)....worth a shot?

My notes:
You have about 675 characters of space for each question. You have a box for each essay, including one for every single "competency". It looks like you email the word document back to the given email address when you are done. As it's in a MS word doc, you can change the font size, which appears to maybe give you more space if you need. The box appears a set size and not an actual character limit, but i could be wrong. There are also two number 7's...I just copied it as it was.

SECONDARY PROMPTS

Please note that it is possible some questions may not apply to you.

1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).
2. If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year.
3. Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you ever been charged or convicted of a criminal offense? Are there any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer is yes, please specify the details.
4. If you applied as a non-resident (other than NJ), please let us know if you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc.
5. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.
6. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.

7. In the next series of questions, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or accomplishments that demonstrate each of these pre-professional competencies
Your responses will be limited to one paragraph and will include:
The situation where you demonstrated the competency
Your actions and resulting consequence
What you learned as a result

Pre-professional Competencies
Integrity and Ethics
Reliability and Dependability
Desire to Learn
Service Orientation
Social Interpersonal and Teamwork Skills
Cultural Competence
Resilience and Adaptability

7. Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are they asking with respect to Service Orientation? I just received the secondary and am looking it over right now.

I also don't see the point of the boxes. You have the ability to change the size of the boxes and change the font size. They mind as well just make it no char limit.

I noticed that as well, and took full advantage of it...lol
For service orientation I took it to mean community service, as in, "What aspect of your experiences/activities/accomplishments shows a dedication/orientation towards service to others?"

wait so we have to do each competency or do we pick one?

These questions are crazy. Preprofessional competencies? Anyone having problems with these like I am? Any suggestions or Examples?

Yea, these questions are very... in depth. I don't really have examples for all of these so I'm just going to do the best that I can. :oops:

Seems they really beefed up the secondary compared to last year... good luck everyone! :luck:

Is there a character limit for the pre-professional competencies essays? I'm working on them in advance of being verified. They're turning out to be quite a lot, over 2 pages for them alone.

I get what they're doing here but this is a totally insane amount of effort for one secondary...

Is there a character limit for the pre-professional competencies essays? I'm working on them in advance of being verified. They're turning out to be quite a lot, over 2 pages for them alone.

I get what they're doing here but this is a totally insane amount of effort for one secondary...

There is no char limit. The application is basically like a microsoft word document and you fill in text boxes with your answers. The thing is that you can change the size/font and the text box size.

Finally done with that secondary. That thing was a beast, I probably spent 6 hours on it spread over three weeks. I really like the school, otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much time on it. :)

How is it going for everyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview from them! Did anyone else get interviews?

For resilience and adaptability I wrote "I looked at this secondary.....and finished it"

:smuggrin:

I sent in my secondary July 18th and got the invite July 21st

Hi all. I'm applying MD/PhD and trying to get essays done ahead since I haven't been verified yet. Does anyone know the prompt(s) for the Md/PhD? Thanks.

This may be a dumb question but what exactly do they want for "service orientation?" My experiences with volunteering? How I plan of serving my community as a physician and what my experiences have been that led me to these conclusions?

:confused::confused:

I wrote about my community service hours and what I got out of them. Follow the directions and I think you will be fine.

In-stater here... Btw I submitted my 2ndary 7/28 and got the invite today (8/2).

I'm pretty sure UMDNJ was the program that gave me an interview really late, said they've already made all their admissions decisions (meaning we didn't make the cut) the morning of my interview, and left me with a really cheap pocket calculator. That broke.

That pretty much sums up my experiences with this school. Have fun.

for those who have gotten interview invites, are you part of the Early Decision Program?

There is no char limit. The application is basically like a microsoft word document and you fill in text boxes with your answers. The thing is that you can change the size/font and the text box size.

I know these are old posts, but in case anybody is still working on the secondary (like me)...

There is no official character limit, but it says clearly on the application that "your responses will be limited to one paragraph."

i had as one paragraph but that paragraph was big and took advantage of the size of the text boxes...just submitted yesterday and hoping for the best!

i'm in state btw

Has anybody changed the size of their text boxes? Or has everyone managed to fit everything in the pre-set size?

Has anybody changed the size of their text boxes? Or has everyone managed to fit everything in the pre-set size?
I definitely changed the box sizes. I didn't make them outrageously huge or anything, but enough so that I could fit in my thoughts.

I definitely changed the box sizes. I didn't make them outrageously huge or anything, but enough so that I could fit in my thoughts.

Great, I'll probably do the same. Thanks!

interview invite! submitted secondary on july 6th, in-state

This is my hardest secondary so far... They didn't have these questions last year! :confused:

This is my hardest secondary so far... They didn't have these questions last year! :confused:

Agreed! And I'm having trouble envisioning scenarios for those individual paragraphs :/

I'm most struggling with "integrity and ethics"
Everything I come up with seems so silly and petty!

I don't think they are expecting you to have encountered a major ethical issue in medicine -- I wrote about an instance at work involving a change in protocol...

From the MSAR I see that they take barely any OOS. I just got the secondary but it's really long =/
I'm a CA resident but have strong family ties to NJ and specifically the area around RWJ (my aunt actually works at RWJ university hospital). Low BCPM GPA (3.4ish) but high MCAT (37)....worth a shot?

I also had like a little over a 3.4 (though a strong upward trend over college) and got a 38. I'm now a 4th year at RWJ.

The school is really cool and friendly if you have compelling reasons for performance that is not your best. Be honest and open about it and they'll help you out. I've definitely enjoyed my time here.

Best of luck!

Same here. Not to mention, integrity and ethics are pretty different...I'm having trouble with a scenario that incorporates both. The other prompts go hand in hand: reliability and dependability, interpersonal and teamwork skills.

:confused:

Same here. Not to mention, integrity and ethics are pretty different...I'm having trouble with a scenario that incorporates both. The other prompts go hand in hand: reliability and dependability, interpersonal and teamwork skills.

:confused:

I feel like you could basically write the same answer here as for secondary prompts that ask you about a moral or ethical challenge you´ve faced. You cover ethics by showing that you thought through the complexities of the situation, and show integrity by explaining how you (hopefully :) ) made the right choice. That´s how I interpreted it, anyway.

I feel like you could basically write the same answer here as for secondary prompts that ask you about a moral or ethical challenge you´ve faced. You cover ethics by showing that you thought through the complexities of the situation, and show integrity by explaining how you (hopefully :) ) made the right choice. That´s how I interpreted it, anyway.

Ahhh good point, thanks so much!

Anyone having troubles with the payment process? I tried 3 different credit cards, all showing errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.