2011-2012 UMDNJ-RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey anyone here been complete for more than a month and has not heard anything?

Right here

Members don't see this ad.

Hey anyone here been complete for more than a month and has not heard anything?

MEEE
lol
Complete since around 8/17
Nothing yet...i think my stats are decent, showing that there is a heaping bowl of randomness in this whole process hahaha

In state, numbers higher than average, complete august 15, haven't heard anything. Got my NJMS interview invite 10 days after being complete...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. I'm giving up on these guys in regards to getting an interview. :( No love for me.

I havent heard anything from neither NJMS or RWJMS. These guys are sleeping down there. This whole process is so random I cant believe it. You would think that people in the medical profession would be organized. Not the case in the admissions process! lol

I havent heard anything from neither NJMS or RWJMS. These guys are sleeping down there. This whole process is so random I cant believe it. You would think that people in the medical profession would be organized. Not the case in the admissions process! lol

when were you complete at NJMS?
I was complete around August 16 and I had my interview October 5th (interview invite exactly a week before that)...but I've heard nothing from RWJ. Another of my fellow interviewers that day also had an NJMS invite but nothing yet from RWJ...why are you so slow RWJ lol.

I submitted my secondary for NJMS on Aug 18th! Lol idk why they are so slow. I saw someone who submitted their secondary for NJMS in June and got an II end of september. IDK what to make of it. May be my MCAT is three years old is that the reason for the delay? But if it is, why do they consider it valid then? A whole host of things are going through my mind I am going crazy

I submitted my secondary for NJMS on Aug 18th! Lol idk why they are so slow. I saw someone who submitted their secondary for NJMS in June and got an II end of september. IDK what to make of it. May be my MCAT is three years old is that the reason for the delay? But if it is, why do they consider it valid then? A whole host of things are going through my mind I am going crazy

lol
there is no logic to the randomness. I doubt your MCAT or anything is the problem. Maybe they are a bit clogged up and still reviewing your app while trying to review others. Maybe they send out invites in batches hahaha. I have no idea lol (2nd time I've "laughed out loud"....virtually)

LOL this randomness is sooooooo frustrating. I need to numb my feelings for a while and not think about this for a few weeks until i get an invite!

LOL this randomness is sooooooo frustrating. I need to numb my feelings for a while and not think about this for a few weeks until i get an invite!

I know. If I didn't have classes, I would hibernate for a month and wake up to see if there was anything new in my inbox lol.

LOL good idea! But you have an interview at least so thats gotta be comforting :) Good luck bud

LOL good idea! But you have an interview at least so thats gotta be comforting :) Good luck bud

oh, I had the NJMS interview...but I will take your post interview good luck lol! it was a bit comforting, but I'm a middle eastern studies major and my interviewer started asking me to go into detail (with dates) of a course I took 2 years ago lol...so idk if it is going to be an issue lol.

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of times it depends on the interviewer's mood. But we hope for the best

Members don't see this ad :)

Hello utariq. I am well acquainted with much of the faculty and staff in the admissions office, and I assure you they are very well organized and are handling their job quite well. Nobody is sleeping on the job. I suggest that you cease complaining and criticizing others over your lack of an interview offer.

Hello utariq. I am well acquainted with much of the faculty and staff in the admissions office, and I assure you they are very well organized and are handling their job quite well. Nobody is sleeping on the job. I suggest that you cease complaining and criticizing others over your lack of an interview offer.

What I said was out of frustration and I was clear about that. You dont have to take every word thats said on here so personally. Relax

do you get notified of an interview invite via email?

For those who got interviewed or are scheduled for an interview... how long did it take for the interview invite once your application was complete ? (some posts suggest for many it has been over a month since their application was complete)

IS interview invite today. Submitted early-mid august. 34Q and 3.6 cgpa 3.7 sgpa

IS interview invite today. Submitted early-mid august. 34Q and 3.6 cgpa 3.7 sgpa

That's really reassuring! I was complete mid august and have very similar numbers. Also in state.

IS interview invite today also. Submitted 9/20, completed 9/21. MCAT 37, 3.7 cgpa, 3.8 sgpa. I suspect they may just be behind, possibly due to the reunification of RWJMS with Rutgers. Good luck everyone!

IS interview invite today also. Submitted 9/20, completed 9/21. MCAT 37, 3.7 cgpa, 3.8 sgpa. I suspect they may just be behind, possibly due to the reunification of RWJMS with Rutgers. Good luck everyone!

Just as an FYI, I submitted last year to NJMS and RWJ within a week of each other, and got interview invites a month and a half apart. I don't think RWJ is behind, I think they just do things differently than NJMS and have a different timeline of how they want to get things done.

Also, the merger of RWJ and Rutgers has not yet been agreed upon. It'll probably happen, but it's not official. Good luck

Well look at that - congrats buddy! Now I shall wait for mine. :luck:

has any oos been invited for interviews? I completed my secondaries back in august and haven't heard anything back from them yet :(

Complete since 8/15, no word. This is my top choice, too...

given the number of posts for this school it seems as if - (1) not many active SDN members are applying here or (2) this school hasnt sent out that many interview invitations yet

given the number of posts for this school it seems as if - (1) not many active SDN members are applying here or (2) this school hasnt sent out that many interview invitations yet

It could be the latter, as the loss of clinical sites in Camden to Cooper Med has caused the administration to reduce class size

I see... my assumption was that most of the NJ state residents who apply to RWJMS also apply to NJMS given all comparisons between these schools.. i see NJMS loaded with posts regarding interviews & acceptances... (i know RWJMS no longer has rolling admissions)...

Any evidence (news / school website ?) to support your claim ?

When I interviewed here last year, we were explicitly told the class size was being reduced by Meryle Kramer, one of the admissions officers who helped with the tour. It is indeed because they lost Cooper.

When I interviewed here last year, we were explicitly told the class size was being reduced by Meryle Kramer, one of the admissions officers who helped with the tour. It is indeed because they lost Cooper.
That makes sense

... are you a current medical student here ? Anything you would like to share ? (academic / clinical / extracurricular etc.)

Ms. Kramer is my source as well. She is a member of the admissions office staff and a very kind, helpful person in my experiences. I would recommend her if anyone has questions for admissions and is looking for someone to email.

Ms. Kramer is my source as well. She is a member of the admissions office staff and a very kind, helpful person in my experiences. I would recommend her if anyone has questions for admissions and is looking for someone to email.
I completely agree.. I have spoken to her several times as well

That makes sense

... are you a current medical student here ? Anything you would like to share ? (academic / clinical / extracurricular etc.)

I'm actually a student at Einstein, but my decision came down to RWJ and Einstein so I know the school pretty well. (I posted early in the thread and am thus subscribed, so I check it now and again). I also know a third year at RWJ.

The schools seems great, though. Good luck to all!

I see... my assumption was that most of the NJ state residents who apply to RWJMS also apply to NJMS given all comparisons between these schools.. i see NJMS loaded with posts regarding interviews & acceptances... (i know RWJMS no longer has rolling admissions)...

Even with the reduction in class size for RWJMS, this might also be due to the fact that NJMS seems to be interviewing earlier (late July/early Aug). A lot of those posts were about acceptances since NJMS started accepting students a week ago, whereas RWJMS won't be accepting students until late December.

I'm a 4th year there. Class size is indeed being reduced.

Any general suggestions on how to prepare for the MMI ? (just a general suggestion... nothing specific given confidentiality)

Any general suggestions on how to prepare for the MMI ? (just a general suggestion... nothing specific given confidentiality)

Is that the new interview? We were still doing traditional interviews when I applied, but I have some pointers.

I'm on a research year and away from RWJ, so thankfully I have no idea what the possible questions are and can give my 2 cents without violating any professional boundaries. That being said, I really wouldn't stress about it. From the few sample questions I've heard (not from my school, but posted on SDN and other sources) the 'correct' answer should be fairly obvious. In cases where there is no one correct answer, say your own opinion as to what would be most ethical and provide your reasoning.

In general, punting the patient to someone else is incorrect. It's -always- better to say, "I would treat them to the best of my ability and if I felt it was appropriate, or I was unsuccessful, I would continue to be actively involved in patient management while I obtained a consult from the appropriate department (psych, surgery, whatever)."

Otherwise, I'd expect possible questions to include health care reform, minority issues, end of life issues, something with serving in primary care, access to care, 'which patient would you see first' emergency type questions, a colleague is depressed/drunk/suicidal question, and potentially more out there ones like 'would you date a patient?' or 'how would you handle a patient who storms into your waiting room and demands to be scene with her cancer ridden father?'

The name of the game is professionalism. If you've scene a TV character (JD, House, anyone in General Hospital) do something, a good rule of thumb is to do the opposite. Whatever is the least dramatic - no matter how heart-felt the dramatic option might be - is likely correct (eg, telling the patient who runs in with her cancer father to go to the ER if it is an emergency and you will follow-up there, otherwise to schedule an appointment during regular business hours)

I think this is likely a much better way to interview prospects. Definitely beats interviews with awkward personal questions.

Last edited:
Is that the new interview? We were still doing traditional interviews when I applied, but I have some pointers.

I'm on a research year and away from RWJ, so thankfully I have no idea what the possible questions are and can give my 2 cents without violating any professional boundaries. That being said, I really wouldn't stress about it. From the few sample questions I've heard (not from my school, but posted on SDN and other sources) the 'correct' answer should be fairly obvious. In cases where there is no one correct answer, say your own opinion as to what would be most ethical and provide your reasoning.

In general, punting the patient to someone else is incorrect. It's -always- better to say, "I would treat them to the best of my ability and if I felt it was appropriate, or I was unsuccessful, I would continue to be actively involved in patient management while I obtained a consult from the appropriate department (psych, surgery, whatever)."

Otherwise, I'd expect possible questions to include health care reform, minority issues, end of life issues, something with serving in primary care, access to care, 'which patient would you see first' emergency type questions, a colleague is depressed/drunk/suicidal question, and potentially more out there ones like 'would you date a patient?' or 'how would you handle a patient who storms into your waiting room and demands to be scene with her cancer ridden father?'

The name of the game is professionalism. If you've scene a TV character (JD, House, anyone in General Hospital) do something, a good rule of thumb is to do the opposite. Whatever is the least dramatic - no matter how heart-felt the dramatic option might be - is likely correct (eg, telling the patient who runs in with her cancer father to go to the ER if it is an emergency and you will follow-up there, otherwise to schedule an appointment during regular business hours)

I think this is likely a much better way to interview prospects. Definitely beats interviews with awkward personal questions.
Thanks... that is the general sense that I get from reading articles from the web as well...

Ethical - Logical - Professional

Anyone interviewing here tomorrow? Getting a little bit nervous.

what's the chance for OOS here? does anyone know?

15-20 percent of the class is OOS (i'm trying to remember from having looked at the msar a long time ago, if anyone has more accurate statistics do correct me). RWJ is much more OOS-friendly than njms.

15-20 percent of the class is OOS (i'm trying to remember from having looked at the msar a long time ago, if anyone has more accurate statistics do correct me). RWJ is much more OOS-friendly than njms.

I don't think that's quite correct. I remembered seeing tiny OOS percentage so I looked it up for you guys just now.

MSAR stats

RWJ 2010-2011 first year matriculants
109 IS
4 OOS

RWJ 2009-2010 first year matriculants
156 IS
7 OOS

I don't think that's quite correct. I remembered seeing tiny OOS percentage so I looked it up for you guys just now.

MSAR stats

RWJ 2010-2011 first year matriculants
109 IS
4 OOS

RWJ 2009-2010 first year matriculants
156 IS
7 OOS

Looks like we were both right.
http://www.medicalschoolsinusa.com/...swick_Robert_Wood_Johnson_Medical_School.html

RWJ 2008-2009 first year matriculants
140 IS
26 OOS
(16% OOS that year)

Of course, your more recent data I'm sure will better represent the admissions office's current policies, and as a whole the three years show a trend of decreasing OOS

it sucks going to my empty inbox everyday :(

it sucks going to my empty inbox everyday :(

+1...except I get emails throughout the day from school, newsletters, etc. IS IT AN INTERVIEW INVITE??? No...:(

+1...except I get emails throughout the day from school, newsletters, etc. IS IT AN INTERVIEW INVITE??? No...:(

Hahh same! See a couple new emails in my inbox, get really excited, but it's stupid groupon...

Status
Not open for further replies.