2011-2012 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I get to open the thread....so thrilling! I look forward to talking with all of you. Hopefully, I may get the chance to meet you if we all are given the opportunity to interview. Never the less, here we go! Good luck to all!

USU is my top choice too. AMCAS just started transferring completed applications to medical schools today, so we should start getting secondaries in a few days.

I want to go Navy, but I'll take Army if Navy is full (assuming I get an interview :xf:).

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary app from USU just came via email! :soexcited:

LTLT, which branch of service are you hoping for?

Last edited:
I visited the school the other day (I am attending Georgetown for the summer) and I love it. :xf:

My friend got accepted there last year and went to UNC instead. He said the campus was really nice and that all the people were friendly. I've also heard that the atmosphere there is not cutthroat like some other med schools; everyone knows they'll be on the same team when they graduate, so students try to help each other out. Was this your impression?

My friend got in for this year. He starts at the end of August. He was prior service and gave lots of positive feedback about the campus, staff and students. The only issue that many of the students he spoke with had was with the committment. Granted 11 years is a lot, but when you factor in time that MUST be paid back for internship and residency, it become more like 17 years.

My friend got in for this year. He starts at the end of August. He was prior service and gave lots of positive feedback about the campus, staff and students. The only issue that many of the students he spoke with had was with the committment. Granted 11 years is a lot, but when you factor in time that MUST be paid back for internship and residency, it become more like 17 years.

My understanding was that you essentially began paying back your time during residency, but just incurred an extra year of obligation during each year of residency. You would effectively still owe 7 years after you are done with your residency. So if you count 4 years of med school, 5 year residency (for the sake of having an example), plus 7 year commitment, you are in the service for a total of 16 years, 12 of those being post med school.

Can anyone out there comment on whether or not this is an accurate way to think about it?

My understanding was that you essentially began paying back your time during residency, but just incurred an extra year of obligation during each year of residency. You would effectively still owe 7 years after you are done with your residency. So if you count 4 years of med school, 5 year residency (for the sake of having an example), plus 7 year commitment, you are in the service for a total of 16 years, 12 of those being post med school.

Can anyone out there comment on whether or not this is an accurate way to think about it?

^^This is accurate, to the best of my knowledge.

One advantage of this long commitment is that because all the USU grads are in the service for so long, they all get to know each other and they keep those connections later on. I read on a milmed website that around 25% of the medical officers in the military graduated from USU, but close to 80% of the senior military medical leadership is composed of USU grads. Kind of like going to West Point or Annapolis I guess, the connections you make help your career in the long run.

Also, I just mailed in the secondary application today :thumbup:; I think they first start sending out interview invites in August, so it looks like I have some time to kill for the first time in three years :banana:

I think your assessment of the time commitment is right.

I also sent in my secondary. From what my friend told me, they will likely send responses confirming they have your materials within a week or two. I don't have his timeline from last year, but if he lets me know I will post it.

That is accurate if you're just looking at years. If you're looking at what the Navy/Army/AF/PHS will count as "time in service" it'll be 12. The 4 years of medical school don't count until you hit 20 years of time in service. So once you've done 20 years post-medical school, you'll jump to 24, but anything less than that and those years in school don't count.

The way payback works is that you'll have 7 years after you graduate, and technically you accrue more any time you're in training (internship, residency, fellowship) - the good thing is that school obligation and post-school training obligation are served concurrently (ie. your first year post-residency you'll be paying off 1 year of school obligation and the 1 year of internship obligation at the same time; 2nd year will be the 2nd year of school obligation and the first year of residency obligation; etc). So essentially whichever one is longer is the time you owe.

Can someone post the secondary if its out already?

this might be a dumb question but are we supposed to have a letter of rec from our chair person? i'm asking b/c it's on that letter of rec list that we have for them, but as far as i know i don't have one. should i just leave it blank and fill out the rest?

Members don't see this ad :)
this might be a dumb question but are we supposed to have a letter of rec from our chair person? i'm asking b/c it's on that letter of rec list that we have for them, but as far as i know i don't have one. should i just leave it blank and fill out the rest?

If your school doesn't have a premedical committee that could write you a premedical committee letter then just leave that line blank. You can't give them the name of a chairperson that doesn't exist. If you can't provide a premedical committee letter, you need to include a letter with your supplemental app explaining why you can't provide that letter. Without a premedical letter, you need to submit two individual letters from recent science professors, one from a non-science professor, and one from a supervisor of clinical work (an MD, DO, or PA preferably, though a volunteer organiser will do.) You don't need to fill out every line on the checklist form. These instructions are on the USU website: http://www.usuhs.mil/medschool/admissions/faq.html#8 The answer to the question says three letters, but in the supplemental application instructions they say they want two science letters, not one, so I'd submit four letters total to be on the safe side. You could also call the USU admissions office and ask them these questions, they're really nice.

Also, a related note for everyone else reading these posts: USU doesn't download digital copies of our AMCAS applications. Instead, AMCAS mails USU hard copies. That means that USU hasn't received any complete AMCAS applications yet, but they should be there within a week or so. I couldn't get an exact date out of AMCAS, but USU told me that this is how it's usually done. I freaked out a little when USU told me they had received my supplemental materials but not my AMCAS application :eek: Just checking to make sure it didn't get lost in cyberspace...

What are some of the reasons you guys favor one branch over the others?

My cousins are all enlisted in different branches and it's hard to get unbiased info out of them, so any help is appreciated! :)

does anyone know if there is a max to the number of letters of recommendation you can send to USUHS? i did the 3 academic, 1 clinical but when i was filling out the sheet, there are more spots (that i could fill). should i just stick with what i assigned or assign the max?

What are some of the reasons you guys favor one branch over the others?

My cousins are all enlisted in different branches and it's hard to get unbiased info out of them, so any help is appreciated! :)
I favor the Army because I come from the Army, so it will also be hard to get unbiased views from me, but I can tell you why I favor it.

The Army does not force new physicians into general medical officer (GMO) positions, essentially serving an intern year and then going off to be a GMO somewhere before being able to finish your residency. Some people like the GMO idea, as it can put you in interesting places (dive medical officer for a SEAL team, for one). Others hate it, because it can significantly interfere with career progression.

The Air Force takes the best care of its people, in terms of quality of life, bar none.

The Navy has the most hierarchical rank structure of the three. Hard to explain until you've experienced it, but there is a much more pronounced difference between officers and enlisted, and between senior and junior enlisted, in the Navy than in the other services. For example, there are passageways on ships that only officers can walk through, or that only senior enlisted can walk through. I always liked the Army's philosophy in this regard, that if the men are sucking, the officers should be sucking worse.

The Navy can put you on a ship and send you to the Mediterranean, the Persian Gulf, Singapore, Thailand, and pretty much any other awesome place you can imagine. The Army will put you on a huge plane and fly you to Germany, and maybe on to Afghanistan. Yes, there are cool postings in the Army, but not as easy to find.

In the Navy, you will occasionally have to deal with Marines, and Marines are weird. Enough said.

Hope that was helpful, there are other threads on here (military medicine) where the question of which service is delved into more thoroughly, and probably better.

Some people like the GMO idea, as it can put you in interesting places (dive medical officer for a SEAL team, for one). Others hate it, because it can significantly interfere with career progression.

In the Navy, you will occasionally have to deal with Marines, and Marines are weird. Enough said.

I love it!! Yes, I am a Marine, a Major to be exact. I have served 21 years and some of that was even in the Army (101st Airborne and US Army Special Operations Command). The Army is a great organization, the Air Force is cool too... But the Navy is where I want to be if (when) I am able to get into USUHS.

Taking care of servicemembers is an honor and a privilege, Emily. These people put their lives on the line almost everyday and most of them don't think twice about doing it. Put me on a big deck amphib and let me float around the world taking care of a MEU...

I find it a little disconcerting that someone who gets a free ride from the Government to go to USUHS would be upset that their caeer progression has been stalled.. Financially, you are probably ten years ahead... Trust me, in 21 years, I have been a *few* places that weren't on the old dream sheet... but that is what duty is all about.

Emily, if you are looking for variety of assignments, I would recommend the Navy... The Department of the Navy has one of the biggest land components in the world called the US Marine Corps. They also have one of the largest air forces - called Naval Aviation. They also have, as you might imagine, a couple of ships and submarines...

Good luck with your decision, whatever it might be. I am sure you'll do great as long as you remember the military is simple: Accomplish the mission and take care of your troops.

Semper Fi,

Devil Dog

:laugh: I have a couple Marines in the family, I can see that!

Thank you Devil Dog & wakewithastart for your detailed responses, I appreciate it! Thankfully you don't have to pick a branch until interviews, so I'll just go explore other boards like you suggest and learn as much as possible until then! Thanks again

is anyone actually complete here? they said they received my application but they're still waiting for my primary to arrive o_O?? anyone else in this situation?

is anyone actually complete here? they said they received my application but they're still waiting for my primary to arrive o_O?? anyone else in this situation?

How do you know? When I called them they wouldn't tell me anything

I am currently filling out my secondary application and I has a quick question about the essay. After doing some research, I feel like this medical school would be a good fit. However, I do not have an affiliation with the armed services. Will this hinder by chances at the university?

I am currently filling out my secondary application and I has a quick question about the essay. After doing some research, I feel like this medical school would be a good fit. However, I do not have an affiliation with the armed services. Will this hinder by chances at the university?

supposedly no. but im sure someone who is in the armed forces or has been will have a huge leg up in the PS.

I called on tuesday and a woman at USU who handles some of the apps said that my file was complete and under review but that not all primary apps had been received from AMCAS. They should all arrive soon.

Does anyone know when they begin their interview season? My family wants to go on vacation on the last week of August and I am wondering if that is a good idea

They begin on the 15th of September. Go enjoy that vacation.

Hey everyone. I have a quick question: I sent out the secondary by the end of June. I still haven't heard back from them. Will you get a confirmation about whether you file is in? The only thing missing is my test scores which I should get back in August. Thanks everyone and good luck!

Hey everyone. I have a quick question: I sent out the secondary by the end of June. I still haven't heard back from them. Will you get a confirmation about whether you file is in? The only thing missing is my test scores which I should get back in August. Thanks everyone and good luck!

so i emailed the lady (Ms. Ferrell) last week and she said my app wasn't complete yet because they still do not have my AMCAS primary and they had my secondary July 6th so I don't know what the deal is.

I called AMCAS and they said it could take a while for schools to get paper copies and that we shouldn't worry too much about it.

Hey guys!
I finally joined this thing after years of reading through various forums. Long time listener, first time caller, as it were.
Anyway, I'm applying to USUHS and I'm a USUHS employee, but I'm civilian and work in a lab so I'm basically just as clueless as the rest of you guys. (If you have any questions about DC area housing and cafeteria food, I got you.)
I'm definitely interested in USUHS as a school, but I'm having trouble with the essay. I come from what you might call the opposite of a military family, so all I really have to say is I work here and people are pretty nice. Any suggestions?
Also, I have absolutely no idea what service to go into. I'm interested in OBGYN, and I really don't want to be limited when it comes to residencies. I'm thinking Army because this whole GMO thing sounds a little shady, but I really don't know what I'm talking about.
Thanks a million!

You should get a little blue/green card in the mail when your application is complete (primary, secondary, and test scores are all in).

You should get a little blue/green card in the mail when your application is complete (primary, secondary, and test scores are all in).

Thank you!! I have another question. What are the range of MCAT scores and GPA for the accepted students? Thanks again! :)

When I met with their staff they said that it used to be 30 and 3.5 but that those numbers have been creeping up.

I emailed the admissions office a few days ago and just got a response saying that my application is complete and under review and that I should get the Admissions Committee's decision in four to six weeks. I never got any card in the mail. If anyone wants verification that your app is complete, I suggest you send them an email and don't wait for a spontaneous notification.

I emailed the admissions office a few days ago and just got a response saying that my application is complete and under review and that I should get the Admissions Committee's decision in four to six weeks. I never got any card in the mail. If anyone wants verification that your app is complete, I suggest you send them an email and don't wait for a spontaneous notification.

Thank you! :)

Just applied/submitted my secondary now just waiting for my last letter of rec which should be in between today or tomorrow in interfolio and off to amcas...I had to delay my app until I found out if im eligible b/c im a dual citizen and served in the IDF. I am a child of both countries and would love to serve in the US Military (interestingly enough they said I could keep my Israeli citizenship but get no security clearances or denounce it and Ill be totally fine) I think Ill go Navy myself.

Not a new member, here. Opened a new account because my old one had a revealing name and I would like to remain as anonymous as possible during this application cycle. :D

This info might help answer some questions:
Application complete: Late June/Early July
Interview invite: 8/1 (via a very nice email)
Stats: MCAT 30s, GPA > 3.5

Last edited:
got an email this morning from USUHS...thought it was an interview offer...but just a reminder to turn in my secondary (which i already did) -__- lol

Same here. I'm getting more jumpy as the days go by.

Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 10/11/9 Q

No military experience, only link is my grandfather was an army doctor in WWII

Turned in my primary June 16th, mailed in the secondary June 26th.

so....do any students or residents have advice for this interview? What should I expect? I would love to go to this school, and I don't want to mess it up.

Interview invitation for September 22nd! YES! ...my only worry is that I'll have a tough time passing the physical because I have flat feet :/ can anyone fill me in on whether or not that will be a problem? I'm very athletic and can run and do everything normally with my flat feet.. I use shoe inserts for comfort but they're not necessary for me to function..

Anyone else get more interview invites yet? I submitted my secondary mid-July. Hoping to hear something soon! This is my top pick school!

Interview invitation for September 22nd! YES! ...my only worry is that I'll have a tough time passing the physical because I have flat feet :/ can anyone fill me in on whether or not that will be a problem? I'm very athletic and can run and do everything normally with my flat feet.. I use shoe inserts for comfort but they're not necessary for me to function..

I also have received an interview invitation for the same day.

As for the flat feet, I had a physical for HPSP and from what I remember, determining if you had flat feet or normal/high arches was for boot issuing. That was MEPS, and I'm not sure how it differs with DODMERB. Then again I could be wrong, perhaps someone with more experience may take on this question.

If you wish to know my stats/ec info, I'm opened to PMs - I'd rather not post them on a public forum.

Interview invite for September 22!!! I can't wait! This is definitely my first choice school.

I submitted the secondary on June 22, supplemental materials received by USU around June 28. I don't know when the primary came in from AMCAS, because they had to send a paper copy to the admissions committee, so I assume I was complete around early July.

Here are my stats, for those who are interested:
GPA (cumulative): 3.68
GPA (science): 3.56
MCAT: 11 PS, 12 VR, 11 BS, S Writing -- 34S
200+ hours of volunteer work and shadowing in military hospitals, clinical letter came from a military surgeon (idk how much they considered these things, just wanted to get as much military experience as I could bc I've never been in the military)

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.