2011-2012 University at Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No prompts

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A question on the secondary said:
"Do you realize that conviction of a felony may preclude licensure in some states?
(Answering 'Yes' does NOT imply that you have a felony conviction.)"

What is it asking for? I didn't know that fact until the question just told me, so do I answer Yes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send you a confirmation email after submitting?

Last edited:
No email confirmation for the app, just the payment. If you click the link again, it lets you fill it out again... weird?

Yeah, I agree. I got the receipt for the payment, but now I'm paranoid my secondary didn't go through!

Shortest secondary I've ever seen. They sure seemed eager to get my money :smuggrin:

$65 is the cheapest secondary I've paid so far, so I won't complain. In fact, some have been nearly double that!

"Do you realize that conviction of a felony may preclude licensure in some states?

What is it asking for? I didn't know that fact until the question just told me, so do I answer Yes?

Just answer "Yes". I remember that being on last year's secondary.

Yeah, I agree. I got the receipt for the payment, but now I'm paranoid my secondary didn't go through!

Don't worry, if you got the receipt, it should be fine. I got the completion email 3 weeks after sending in the secondary.

This is quoted from the secondary email:

"Please visit our secondary application website at http://admissions.med.buffalo.edu/secure/agreement.aspx. Login using your AMCAS ID. If this link does not work, please type it directly.

After reading this material, please fill out the Secondary Application (Verification Statement) and be sure to click 'Submit'.

In addition, we require a fee of $65.00 to process your application. Personal checks or cash will NOT be accepted, and would delay the processing of your application.

Payment by credit card is highly recommended. We accept Mastercard, Visa, and Discover. The credit card information follows the submission of your Secondary Application (Verification Statement)."

Therefore, if you reached the payment screen you must have submitted your secondary successfully.

What's the LOR requirement? I haven't received the secondary yet, but I wanted to assign letters in AMCAS. I looked at their website, but couldn't find any guidelines.

It just means *IF* you have a felony on your record, you might have some trouble getting a license down the line.

Their admissions staff was prompt and helpful, but yeah I can't help but feel a bit paranoid that I'm re-sending my app multiple times.

Hey guys!

I'm a Florida resident, so I am a bit unfamiliar with SUNY school requirements. Are they the same, in general, across all of them (prereqs, LOR, etc.)? I'm planning on applying to UB (have friends there that love it! :thumbup:). I'm wondering

(a) what their LOR requirements are

(b) if they will take AP credits to fulfill the 2 semester English requirement.

Can I assume that these standards would be the same for Stony Brook, Upstate, etc.?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

I'm a Florida resident, so I am a bit unfamiliar with SUNY school requirements. Are they the same, in general, across all of them (prereqs, LOR, etc.)? I'm planning on applying to UB (have friends there that love it! :thumbup:). I'm wondering

Can I assume that these standards would be the same for Stony Brook, Upstate, etc.?

Thanks for your help!

Simply put: no.

autotroph and aSagacious,

Thanks for your help! I scoured the UB site, but there were no answers to my questions. Nothing that a call to the admissions office couldn't fix. :) Just FYI, they will take AP credits as long as the credits appear on your transcript.

http://admissions.med.buffalo.edu/secure/agreement.aspx
I. Letters of Recommendation: All Applicants

Required is either a Pre-Health Committee Letter, OR three letters of recommendation with at least one letter from a science professor. Letters from TA’s, Instructors, etc. should be countersigned by the professor, if possible. (MSTP applicants are encouraged to forward a letter of recommendation from a research mentor/advisor as well.)

Applicants with Graduate School Education
If a significant number of years have transpired since your undergraduate education, you have the option of excluding undergraduate letters but must supply us with letters from three (3) of your graduate school professors.

If you choose to continue using undergraduate recommendations and you:

are just beginning your Masters or Ph.D. program, no additional letters are required.

have completed at least one year of a Masters or Ph.D. program, one (1) recommendation from a professor in your program is required.

have completed two (2) or more years. Two (2) letters from graduate professors are required.

Substitutions
Applicants unable to secure the required letters of recommendation should advise this Office immediately in writing. State the problem and set forth the credentials (name and title) of the people who will submit letters for you.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/ome/admission/admission_preparation.htm
You need 2 semesters of english. If you university accepts AP credits as a satisfactory equivalent to one of their english courses then you should be all set.

anyone else a little confused why their status says "SECONDARY APPLICATION RECIEVED" yet they are not "complete".

Everything else is in but the status page still reflects that I am not finished yet. I think I will call James after the 4th.

anyone else a little confused why their status says "SECONDARY APPLICATION RECIEVED" yet they are not "complete".

Everything else is in but the status page still reflects that I am not finished yet. I think I will call James after the 4th.

Might just be waiting on LORs (they could be sitting on a desk on their end, just need to be manually entered). I wouldn't worry about it.

aSagacious, thanks for your help! I wonder if my computer is redirecting me to an outdated website or something, because I cannot find that info anywhere (even on the links you provided). Thanks again!

I received a complete email from UB today, but for some reason when I log on to the status checking website, it says its not complete. Anyone having something similar happen w/their application?

How do you confirm that they received your LOR? Do they send you a confirmation e-mail, or should I just wait until my application status says "complete"?

Does anyone know if we can submit more than 3 letters?

can somebody please send me the link to check my application status? i received the complete email but was not given a link. thanks

My AMCAS ID isn't working...any idea what I should do? It says invalid credentails

hey i sent in my payment two days ago, and the application status says no payment received-does it take a while to upload?

I submitted on 7/6 and my last letter was received by AMCAS on 7/10, yet I'm still not complete here. Is such a lag normal?

Hi folks,

Just to be clear, there is nothing an applicant can do in between getting a complete verification (primary) and waiting for UB to email the applicant?

I was verified last week (7/15) and have gotten emails from other schools (not all, though) and I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can.

Thanks.

Hi folks,

Just to be clear, there is nothing an applicant can do in between getting a complete verification (primary) and waiting for UB to email the applicant?

I was verified last week (7/15) and have gotten emails from other schools (not all, though) and I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can.

Thanks.

though UB doesn't have any written work to accompany their secondary you could always work on your other school's secondary while you wait!

Perhaps you could also take a 2x2 (passport style) photo of yourself for secondaries that ask for your photo so you will be ready!

Finally received a complete email today 7/20 after posting this morning that I hadn't been marked complete yet. This process will teach me to be patient I guess.

congrats on the interviews! did you guys receive the invite by email? also is there a website where we can check our statuses?

edit: nvm just found the site. mine still says "SECONDARY APPLICATION RECEIVED". wonder if that even means i've been reviewed yet...

Last edited:
congrats on the interviews! did you guys receive the invite by email? also is there a website where we can check our statuses?

edit: nvm just found the site. mine still says "SECONDARY APPLICATION RECEIVED". wonder if that even means i've been reviewed yet...

I got the invite by email - I don't think they're updating the site. My status also still says "secondary application received"

They send out an email telling u about the invite. They said 9/7 in the email, but I rescheduled for 2 weeks later--the admissions office people were very nice about it :):):)

Hm, has anyone heard anything about student hosting?

Also for those getting interviews, when were you complete?

Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.