2011-2012 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get an email from them asking to apply to their md/phd program? How common are these types of emails in medical schools?

I also received the same email today. Does anyone know when secondaries should be expected?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a significant chance that an OOS applicant could end up with a decent merit scholarship for UAB? I would love to apply here, and I know it's a great school, but it's just so expensive for OOS students!

I also got the same invitation to them to apply for the MSTP at UAB, "based on my MCAT score" etc. I did not designate them on my primary and did not apply MD/PhD anywhere.

Did anyone else get an email from them asking to apply to their md/phd program? How common are these types of emails in medical schools?

UAB sends that e-mail to anyone who has a competitive MCAT score. I got a few e-mails like that from several medical schools.

I also received the same email today. Does anyone know when secondaries should be expected?

The past two years they've released the secondary application in mid/late August.

Good Luck Everyone! :luck: If you have any questions, I am starting here in the fall. :)

Do they release it earlier to people who are applying EDP?

Hey everyone! I'll be starting my 1st year at UASOM next month so feel free to ask me any questions. I do not know as much as the MS2s through MS4s about the inner workings of the classroom there, but the application process is still fresh in my mind so hopefully that counts for something. :)

Do they release it earlier to people who are applying EDP?

I'm assuming they do because their website says, "For Early Decision applicants, the AMCAS application deadline is August 1st and the UASOM Secondary Application deadline is August 15th."

Does UAB offer any merit scholarships?

Med schools in general are pretty stingy when it comes to doling out merit scholarships. After getting accepted, we filled out the FAFSA and a scholarship form that was UAB-specific. If you're one of the chosen few, then you may be eligible for a scholarship based on your academics, hometown, school, race, etc. Personally, I haven't heard anything back from them about whether or not I received one and I'm not going to stress about it. :cool:

Med schools in general are pretty stingy when it comes to doling out merit scholarships. After getting accepted, we filled out the FAFSA and a scholarship form that was UAB-specific. If you're one of the chosen few, then you may be eligible for a scholarship based on your academics, hometown, school, race, etc. Personally, I haven't heard anything back from them about whether or not I received one and I'm not going to stress about it. :cool:

That's what I figured. I was wondering because I want to apply, but it's so expensive for OOS!

Has anyone heard back from UAB yet? I haven't gotten an "application received" email or anything..

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from UAB yet? I haven't gotten an "application received" email or anything..

Relax. I submitted my primary app at the end of the 1st week of June 2010 and did not get my secondary until the beginning of August '10. Who knows? They might be making the wait time shorter this year, but honestly, I have no idea. I know you're stressed, but try not to let the application process consume you.

Relax. I submitted my primary app at the end of the 1st week of June 2010 and did not get my secondary until the beginning of August '10. Who knows? They might be making the wait time shorter this year, but honestly, I have no idea. I know you're stressed, but try not to let the application process consume you.

Haha - I'm not stressed, just curious. Thanks though.

Do the secondaries change each year for the University of Alabama?

Do the secondaries change each year for the University of Alabama?

They did from 2009 to 2010. They had about 7 essay questions in 2009 and last year it was filling in information about extracurriculars, shadowing and such.

UAB is probably behind. Secondaries will come in due course. Med school application year was the best and worst time of my life. PM me with questions. I'll be going here next year (took a deferral).

i just received the mstp email.

should i apply? (suggestions? i have a heavy research background, no pubs, 3.5/32Q)

isnt uab instate heavy?

should i apply? (suggestions? i have a heavy research background, no pubs, 3.5/32Q)

isnt uab instate heavy?

I hear they're a research heavy school. 32 is not bad for a state school. I think they have a lot of spaces for OOS. I'd go for it, but another thing to consider is travel expenses if you get an interview, you willing to pay them? Willing to pay the secondary app fee?

isnt uab instate heavy?

IS/OOS doesn't matter for the MSTP program. It's a very good program and there are some awesome researchers here. I think the averages are a little higher than what you have but not by much. If you're interested I'd say apply.

IS/OOS doesn't matter for the MSTP program. It's a very good program and there are some awesome researchers here. I think the averages are a little higher than what you have but not by much. If you're interested I'd say apply.
I also got the email...trying to recruit people to MSTP based off the mcat score...

MSTP applicant here. I got an email confirming my application had made it to the "initial review" stage and that there would be another update within the next three weeks. Did anyone else receive this? It actually ended up in my spam folder.

I hear they're a research heavy school. 32 is not bad for a state school. I think they have a lot of spaces for OOS. I'd go for it, but another thing to consider is travel expenses if you get an interview, you willing to pay them? Willing to pay the secondary app fee?

I'd be willing to pay for the expenses of the interview process yes

Now you convinced me to consider applying...

MSTP applicant here. I got an email confirming my application had made it to the "initial review" stage and that there would be another update within the next three weeks. Did anyone else receive this? It actually ended up in my spam folder.

's more than I got. I haven't had anything from them yet :confused:

Just received the secondary email

Same. In my gmail spam.

mstp avg is 3.8/35

I don't think I will apply this cycle.... g'luck to the rest of you!

MSTP advert email
would be nice if they'd just send me my secondary already...

To the MSTP applicants out there (e.g., Giraffe & rrama), do any of you know if the prompts are any different for us? I'm applying later this month due to a late MCAT as a non-trad. I'd love to get a head start...

Thanks and good luck to all.

To the MSTP applicants out there (e.g., Giraffe & rrama), do any of you know if the prompts are any different for us? I'm applying later this month due to a late MCAT as a non-trad. I'd love to get a head start...

Thanks and good luck to all.

I have no idea. The only email I have from them is the one telling me I am under an initial review. I will post it for you when I receive the invitation.

The secondary app invitations definitely coming out for the RD applicants. I got mine this morning.

Hey everyone. I'm an MS-1 this year, so I thought I'd stop in and say hi. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you guys might have. There are two pieces of advice I've got:

1. Apply early if you can. When they say admission is rolling, they're not kidding. I waited until mid October to submit my secondary, and paid for it by having to wait until March for an interview.

2. Get ready to wait. When you get an interview, one of three things will happen. (a) you'll be accepted very soon after (like a Friday or two after your interview) because the admissions committee meets bi-monthly, (b) you'll get decision pending (or whatever they actually put on the website) until the end of interview (late March). This is when the majority of people will get in, or (c) you don't hear anything by April, which means you're on the waitlist

PS, to those who were asking about scholarships. They do have several scholarships, but those that aren't tied to a specific thing (ie. where you live, who your parents work for, etc.) are usually gone by December, so apply early.

Hey,

So to those who have been asking about the MSTP application I process I will try to answer some of them, I am a first year in the program. The application process is a little different from how UAB does their regular MD application. After you apply you will get the initial review e-mail, after this review you will get a separate MSTP secondary application. Once you send this in you are done until you are offered an interview, if you get an interview you will have to complete the regular school of medicine secondary app. You should get plenty of e-mail updates from the program director, although we just got a new one so they might be a little different from last year. Anyway good luck to everyone with their apps, feel free to PM me with any questions (MSTP related or not).

So I've turned in my secondary for MD. Does anybody know how long initial review takes, and when they start offering interviews? I'm hoping beyond hope to schedule mine as early as possible :oops:

Still waiting on my MD secondary...wonder why it's taking so long?

jc235693: Thanks for the clarification.

I have no idea. The only email I have from them is the one telling me I am under an initial review. I will post it for you when I receive the invitation.

Word! That'd be much appreciated. Good luck!

So I've turned in my secondary for MD. Does anybody know how long initial review takes, and when they start offering interviews? I'm hoping beyond hope to schedule mine as early as possible :oops:

I think they start interviewing in September. They usually let you know you've been invited for an interview two weeks prior to your interview date. Unfortunately, they could invite you right away or you might not hear anything from them until Feb/March.

I think they start interviewing in September. They usually let you know you've been invited for an interview two weeks prior to your interview date. Unfortunately, they could invite you right away or you might not hear anything from them until Feb/March.

Thanks, Ditto! I'm looking forward to hearing how classes are going for you!

Well I'm sure everyone would like to schedule their interviews "as early as possible" but the fact of the matter is that you should plan to interview (Not just at UASOM but all of the places you apply to) anytime between September and March. You really can't predict it. You may submit a secondary in July and not get offerred an interview until February as was the case with one of the schools I applied to.

Well I'm sure everyone would like to schedule their interviews "as early as possible" but the fact of the matter is that you should plan to interview (Not just at UASOM but all of the places you apply to) anytime between September and March. You really can't predict it. You may submit a secondary in July and not get offerred an interview until February as was the case with one of the schools I applied to.

Of course, and I didn't mean to sound cocky or anything. I have a bit of an extenuating circumstance, and like I said, just wanted to know when they started. And Ditto answered.

OOS, got the secondary email yesterday! Yay!

Can anyone post the prompts? That would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.