2011-2012 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear that.

Your stats are more than above average for matriculants so I'm sure you'll get in!

I've been on review since 6/26/11, patiently waiting :twittlethumbs:

anyone else in my shoes? :oops:

same- complete since 7/9/11 and still
nothing. nerve wracking.

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS verified yesterday (took close to 5 weeks!). Received secondary today (8/27).

Sort of late in the game. Hopefully I'll be able to turn in all this stuff soon. Secondary looks like a pain though. Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear that.

Your stats are more than above average for matriculants so I'm sure you'll get in!

I've been on review since 6/26/11, patiently waiting :twittlethumbs:

anyone else in my shoes? :oops:

On review since 6/25.

Patience is so hard. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

My understanding is that Davis is better for the sciences, but Irvine blows it out of the water in performing arts.

I know that I am about a month late to the party, but I would still like to put in my .02 because I am an alumni of the Claire Trevor School of the Arts. Last time I checked, our dance program was ranked 2nd in the nation and our Drama department is ranked 8th.

BTW, that troll is what I have to deal with on a daily basis at bio sci at UCI. Unfortunately, he is in the majority in bio sci. Anyone sympathize with me? :laugh:

Last edited:
I know that I am about a month late to the party, but I would still like to put in my .02 because I am an alumni of the Claire Trevor School of the Arts. Last time I checked, our dance program was ranked 2nd in the nation and our Drama department is ranked 8th.

BTW, that troll is what I have to deal with on a daily basis at bio sci at UCI. Unfortunately, he is in the majority in bio sci. Anyone sympathies with me? :laugh:

Oh my god, really?? I'm really sorry dude. I went to UCD undergrad, and in general, all the students there had a very chill, non-troll-like attitude (which is why I'd love to go to UCDSOM... the people there are AWESOME).

BTW where is he getting his info saying UCI is better than UCD in biology? Any source I've seen has them neck-in-neck in biology AND medicine.

Oh my god, really?? I'm really sorry dude. I went to UCD undergrad, and in general, all the students there had a very chill, non-troll-like attitude.

BTW where is he getting his info saying UCI is better than UCD in biology? Any source I've seen has them neck-in-neck in biology AND medicine.

Thanks a lot premed. Yah, this is everyone's attitude in UCI bio sci. Imagine, 300-350 out of 400 students in lecture having a stick up their ass like this. :thumbdown: Imagine me trying to tutor these people. :roflcopter:

The information that DrAnteater is referring to is very very old. I'm talking 6 or 7 years old where they would rank UCI higher than UCD and UCSB. Now, I actually think UCD have surpassed UCI in the rankings department in biology, but I don't really know as I don't follow rankings religiously

Hey Premed,

How has the budget cuts affected UCD? I have been wondering about this.

Hey Premed,

How has the budget cuts affected UCD? I have been wondering about this.

Well I graduated in 2010, but when I was there, the budget cuts nearly doubled our tuition. I heard from friends that they increased fees even more since I left. They also became extremely strict about paying quarter fees well before the quarter started. I got dropped from classes twice because of this, and had to re-register for courses (if i could get back in). It was brutal, but considering the tuition is still much less than private schools, I'm not sure how much I can complain haha

Thanks premed. I graduated 2010 also. :highfive:

Did budget cuts affect the quality of the education at UCD? Like larger classes, fewer classes, grad students having to teach more classes to cover their fees (UCI bio sci grad students don't pay tuition, but now they have to teach disc classes to cover fees due to budget cuts), and did it affect professors? Thanks in advance. :)

Thanks premed. I graduated 2010 also. :highfive:

Did budget cuts affect the quality of the education at UCD? Like larger classes, fewer classes, grad students having to teach more classes to cover their fees (UCI bio sci grad students don't pay tuition, but now they have to teach disc classes to cover fees due to budget cuts), and did it affect professors? Thanks in advance. :)

:highfive:!!!

Nope, everything still ran pretty much the same. Although, at UCD, grad students had always taught discussion sections. Is it different at UCI?

:highfive:!!!

Nope, everything still ran pretty much the same. Although, at UCD, grad students had always taught discussion sections. Is it different at UCI?

:wow: Wow, I am surprised things are that great at UCD.

Things have changed a lot due to the budget cuts at UCI. 50% of the undergraduate courses have been cut in bio sci. All class sizes have gone up. There are no more small classes with 30 or 50 people in bio sci. Before, Bio Sci Graduate students got free tuition/no fees and they taught discussion classes for extra cash. That is not the case any more. It is mandatory to teach discussion classes now. Med students have fewer and fewer resources and lots of staff in the SOM have been laid off. Professors aren't getting the promotions that were promised or that they deserve. So when someone makes a huge discovery or contribution, they are immediately poached since they have incentive to stay. I really thought the budgets were crippling every UC as bad as UCI. Guess I was wrong.

Thanks a lot premed. Yah, this is everyone's attitude in UCI bio sci. Imagine, 300-350 out of 400 students in lecture having a stick up their ass like this. :thumbdown: Imagine me trying to tutor these people. :roflcopter:

The information that DrAnteater is referring to is very very old. I'm talking 6 or 7 years old where they would rank UCI higher than UCD and UCSB. Now, I actually think UCD have surpassed UCI in the rankings department in biology, but I don't really know as I don't follow rankings religiously

I sympathize with you. I had one lab with this one douche that actually told me he couldn't tell me what his answer for a question was on a quiz because I was the "competition". I was just like :confused: wtf... can't believe people actually act like this in real life.

PS. I got the question wrong and I just wanted to know what was the correct answer

Members don't see this ad :)
I sympathize with you. I had one lab with this one douche that actually told me he couldn't tell me what his answer for a question was on a quiz because I was the "competition". I was just like :confused: wtf... can't believe people actually act like this in real life.

PS. I got the question wrong and I just wanted to know what was the correct answer

Oh yeah that was me... but in all seriousness, that's the way it is. You run into gunners at any school you go to.

Davis where's the norcal love?

Hey everyone, just a heads up that I got a 'rejection' e-mail from UCD last night that read like this:

Dear mikaboogerbutt:

Admissions Year 2012:

Thank you for applying to the UC Davis School of Medicine. Your application was thoroughly reviewed by at least one member of the Admissions Committee. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a position for the class entering in July 2011. Each year we receive nearly 5,000 applications and with no more than 105 available seats, the Admissions Committee faces an extremely difficult task. You have our best wishes for success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Admissions Committee, UC Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Davis
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
4610 X Street, Suite 1202
Sacramento, CA 95817

This is not an actual rejection letter for 2012 (it states 2011 despite the fact that I'm a 2012 applicant). I called and UCD Admissions let me know that they did mistakingly send out a few 2011 rejection letters to 2012 applicants. Don't stress and good luck! :)

Hey everyone, just a heads up that I got a 'rejection' e-mail from UCD last night that read like this:

Dear mikaboogerbutt:

Admissions Year 2012:

Thank you for applying to the UC Davis School of Medicine. Your application was thoroughly reviewed by at least one member of the Admissions Committee. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a position for the class entering in July 2011. Each year we receive nearly 5,000 applications and with no more than 105 available seats, the Admissions Committee faces an extremely difficult task. You have our best wishes for success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Sacramento, CA 95817

This is not an actual rejection letter for 2012 (it states 2011 despite the fact that I'm a 2012 applicant). I called and UCD Admissions let me know that they did mistakingly send out a few 2011 rejection letters to 2012 applicants. Don't stress and good luck! :)

sorry to hear that!

When were you complete?

sorry to hear that!

When were you complete?

Hey kautionwirez... I submitted my app 6/30 but to clarify this is NOT a rejection letter. I'm a 2012, first-time applicant who has not received a secondary request yet but was mistakingly sent a 2011 rejection letter. My post was meant to let other 2012 applicants know in case they also mistakingly receive a 2011 rejection.

Dear mikaboogerbutt:

Admissions Year 2012:

Sincerely,

School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Sacramento, CA 95817

Hey thanks for the heads up! I got that email as well and was totally bummed out until I saw your post and called them up. :) Kind of a lame mistake on their part but I'll take it over actual rejection any day. :D
Thanks again!

wait so all the ones that were sent out for 2011 were mistakes? or should we call individually?

wait so all the ones that were sent out for 2011 were mistakes? or should we call individually?
I don't know if it is accurate to say ALL of the rejection emails were incorrect. I think that just the one sent out yesterday was incorrect.

Mikaboogerbutt, what does your online status say? Maybe that's the best way to check

My status currently notes:

"Initial Application Received by UCD School of Medicine - 7/28/2011"
"Application Declined - No longer under consideration - 7/28/2011"

This is pretty confusing but I'm thinking that they may have duplicated my application and submitted it to the 2011 applicant pool as well as the 2012 applicant pool. On 8/31/2011 I was rejected from the 2011 application pool as the e-mail I received states. However, since I am a 2012 applicant I am still waiting on a committee decision regarding secondaries for the 2012 application cycle.

When I called this morning and spoke to the admissions faculty they told me that they mistakingly sent out that e-mail (obviously, since I received a 2011 rejection letter). Since school starts around now I think they sent out this e-mail to let any 2011 applicants who were still on the wait list or otherwise had a tentative status that the 2011 class was filled.

If you received this e-mail and are a 2012 applicant you should probably call and double check but I believe you'll get the same answer. Can anybody confirm this?

Anyone know under the experiences, what does able to verify this level of commitment mean? I mean I can verify it or my supervisor can verify it by saying yes, but do they mean a technical document or something? i'm so confused...also there is no way i know exactly how many hours i spent on something...i know generally approx how many hours per week, is anyone else struggling with these problems?
thanks

Anyone know under the experiences, what does able to verify this level of commitment mean? I mean I can verify it or my supervisor can verify it by saying yes, but do they mean a technical document or something? i'm so confused...also there is no way i know exactly how many hours i spent on something...i know generally approx how many hours per week, is anyone else struggling with these problems?
thanks
i called them about the hours and they said approximation is fine

thanks, did anyone check what they mean by verification? I mean my supervisor can give his/her word? does that count as verification, but he never like documented how many hours i was there?

Hey thanks for the heads up! I got that email as well and was totally bummed out until I saw your post and called them up. :) Kind of a lame mistake on their part but I'll take it over actual rejection any day. :D
Thanks again!
Hey I just called again and they told me those rejections were real but they just got the date wrong. I'm confused. :/

Hey I just called again and they told me those rejections were real but they just got the date wrong. I'm confused. :/

That is so messed up of them. The application process is so nerve-wrackingly stressful as it is without them tugging people around like this....

eek. interview tomorrow! anyone else in town and freaking out a bit? I've heard that MMI is actually pretty fun but I'm still nervous.

eek. interview tomorrow! anyone else in town and freaking out a bit? I've heard that MMI is actually pretty fun but I'm still nervous.

Don't be nervous. It's really fun. That and they fill their bathroom with mints, floss, deodorant, etc. to make you feel right at home. That's indicative of how the whole day went, at least that's how I felt. :)

interview invite!

there's hope for us all
30-33 (unbalanced), 3.5

Last edited:
did any re-apps get an interview yet? I wonder how they are going to do it since we went through the MMI last year.

can anyone help me with the procedure for signing up for a saturday clinic tour? it says submit the request via the message center 1 week prior to the interview... i dont think it specifies whether we are supposed to request a certain clinic in our message or just ask generally?

Hello,
UC Davis interests me immensely, I have a month break during December/January and I was curious, to find out, does this university have any programs, for Undergraduate students to I guess visit, do some research, so on, during this time period?
I only ask, because, I shall be applying to Medical schools in the next cycle, and as I am a California resident, and going to graduate from college next year, I would like to come and visit for at least a few weeks, and see the school.

I'm a reapplicant, complete at ~6/31, and still no word as far as interview/rejection. Anyone else been waiting that long? Think it'd be worth calling them to check on my status?

Stats are above average for matriculant, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean much.

I'm a reapplicant, complete at ~6/31, and still no word as far as interview/rejection. Anyone else been waiting that long? Think it'd be worth calling them to check on my status?

Stats are above average for matriculant, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean much.
i was complete I think about 6/23...GPA is slightly below avg but GPA is slightly above...not a reapplicant though...just gonna keep on waiting lord knows u might not hear back until march about an interview or rejection...

I'm in a similar boat.
Completed 6/25.
I think this is normal. The interview season is long.

Still waiting too.

From the looks of last years thread, they did send out some batches of rejections around this time last year. However, some applicants were still in limbo for a long time.

Here's one crazy long wait:

Wow...Miracles do come.

Completed since 7/14, received my interview last night on 1/27

I was complaining about this 4 days ago, and gosh...I feel so blessed.

6 months and 13 days later hell yeah!

Then later on:
Dr. O,

I was lucky enough to get good news, 3/4

Just a recap: This SDNer was complete at UC Davis on 7/14, received an interview invitation on 1/27, interviewed on 3/4, and was accepted by 4/8

Still waiting too.

From the looks of last years thread, they did send out some batches of rejections around this time last year. However, some applicants were still in limbo for a long time.

Then later on:

Just a recap: This SDNer was complete at UC Davis on 7/14, received an interview invitation on 1/27, interviewed on 3/4, and was accepted by 4/8

To confirm this, I know a person from my work who was complete early summer and received an invite near the end of the cycle but was waitlisted.

Still waiting too.

Then later on:

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I've checked up on these Davis forums, but yes, I wanted to let you guys know that it's in fact true that I had to go through that! It's definitely not fun, but as long as you keep your head up high and keep the hope alive you're alive until they say you aren't alive (and with Davis, you take it with a grain of salt because they send all these random error rejection emails that you guys have already gotten this year!). Trust me, even as a student here, I've gotten another rejection email two weeks ago HAHA.

It's a great school, they work you HARD, but you get a lot out of it. I'll try and answer questions as best as I can but can't promise i'll answer them right away all the time! I've only been here for so long, but the staff and administration really do care for you.

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I've checked up on these Davis forums, but yes, I wanted to let you guys know that it's in fact true that I had to go through that! It's definitely not fun, but as long as you keep your head up high and keep the hope alive you're alive until they say you aren't alive (and with Davis, you take it with a grain of salt because they send all these random error rejection emails that you guys have already gotten this year!). Trust me, even as a student here, I've gotten another rejection email two weeks ago HAHA.

It's a great school, they work you HARD, but you get a lot out of it. I'll try and answer questions as best as I can but can't promise i'll answer them right away all the time! I've only been here for so long, but the staff and administration really do care for you.

You should change your status from "Pre-Medical" to "Medical Student". It's the first thing I'm going to do when I start med school :laugh:

The interview day was really great. I can't give any MMI details (for obvious reasons), but the interview day staff are very helpful and seem genuinely interested in who you are as an applicant and why you want to go to UC Davis. You even get to meet in small groups and have a conversation with the Dean! Not may schools offer this opportunity and it was one of the highlights of the day.

Best of luck to all applicants! For those of you who have interviews scheduled, and those of you who will receive interview invites, don't be nervous. The interview day is GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.