About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

2011-2012 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2014)' started by Sammich117, May 22, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uclabruins2011

uclabruins2011

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    This info could be wrong, but according to a geffen student (albeit a few years ago when the budget situation was better), any additional merit scholarship you get (on top of what all accepted geffen students get for the first year) will be inside your admissions letter. In other words, outside of financial-need based assistance, anything else geffen would offer you is already in the letter. Heres where I got this info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=560039
  2. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know, but please post or PM me your findings.
    Cheers!
  3. Med1988

Med1988

Pre-Medical
    This is not all the merit based aid given. Dean Parker mentioned there is also a 20 or 25k scholarship given to many first year students. However, it isn't awarded until midway through the first year so you won't know before deciding. I have no idea why they do it this way but it is definitely there and they know you will get but don't tell you. I know a few people who receive it in the past two years.
  4. Whiskey River

Whiskey River

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Wait until you factor in the cost of living... Then it will be MUCH more expensive than UW!
    :eek:
  5. uclabruins2011

uclabruins2011

holy crap i was thinking the same thing. that wouldve been an amazing option to have if i was from washington. even for in-state students, UC schools are WAYY the **** more expensive than a lot of other states....annnndddd, the cost is just going to rise. probably by a lot because of the (even more recent than the previous) budget cuts
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. Saragam

Saragam

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got the notification of a small award as well. Since it seems multiple people got this award, I might guess that this was awarded to the people who were accepted in this first round? I think there are more merit scholarships available, but this one might be something given to applicants they accepted first.

Pure speculation. I don't want it to seem like blatant self-aggrandizement.
  7. uclabruins2011

uclabruins2011

Everyone got a $5,000 scholarship if thats what youre referring to.
  8. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, that's what he's referring to.

Looking at last years thread it seems as if everyone accepted got this award, not just the first wave. There was no discussion of further merit awards granted in that thread.
  9. surfnj23

surfnj23

Pre-Medical
    Anybody know when the next wave of acceptances will go out?
  10. makauzi

makauzi

Tomorrow is match day I believe so I do not think we should expect another round of acceptances this week, I would think Monday they might send out another round.
  11. ricexeater

ricexeater

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So my status page has a slight change. My letter of recommendations changed from recived to requested...

I don't think it's good news when they start erasing parts of your file :(
  12. rogerthis

rogerthis

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I see the same thing when I check my status. I wouldn't worry about it since AMCAS has a file of your letters of rec and they can always just get it from them again.
  13. cryoablation

cryoablation

mine has never said transcript requested...is that weird?
  14. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I called about this issue.

It's just an error. They have our letters and know about the issue and are working on it. All is well.
  15. avicii

avicii

Pre-Medical
    Fbook group anyone?
  16. Kiting

Kiting

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    friday's match day FYI
  17. Med1988

Med1988

Pre-Medical
    I am up for a fb group! Have to get knowing people before class starts.
  18. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree.

My facebook-fu is poor, however, so I'll leave the creation to those better suited.
  19. uclabruins2011

uclabruins2011

Why would the admissions office be involved in match day?
  20. makauzi

makauzi

Personally I do not know, but from what I have read around, acceptances decrease during this period, but pick up again afterwards.
  21. Slev

Slev

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    x
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  22. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the update Slev.
  23. zamzee

zamzee

Pre-Medical
    Got my acceptance letter today.. The first page was an acceptance letter, the second page was notification of a $5,000 merit scholarship.

Maybe everyone gets one and it's UCLA's way of convincing people to choose UCLA instead of another school? A way to make it seem like UCLA is cheaper than other schools? Not sure.
  24. Slev

Slev

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    x
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  25. zamzee

zamzee

Pre-Medical
    In the letter it says it "was awarded on the basis of your scholastic distinction and activities that benefit the community." So the scholarship is definitely a merit scholarship.

I get what you're saying by pointing out this 5K is different, but even if this is a blanket scholarship, it's still a merit scholarship. Your point is to make a distinction between this one and the ones that may be coming later, but that distinction isn't merit (since this one is def a merit scholarship).

I'm not sure why UCLA is making a distinction and keeping the other awards for later, though.
  26. heymon32

heymon32

Pre-Medical
    Alright, here's the deal about the $5k scholarship, or at least what we were told during our tour of campus by the students. Everyone is getting the scholarship because the school wants to offset tuition increases that are going into effect for the UC professional schools. It is only for the first year and it is supposedly a gift from the Geffens or whatever foundation they may have set up. You can call it what you want but it's ludicrous you guys would even argue over it's classification since every accepted student obviously has enough merit to get into DGSOM. Money is money, whether it's "merited" or "needed."

I just hope I end up as one of those accepted students. Hoooopefully there will be another wave of acceptances this Friday. :xf:
  27. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    They're not ludicrous. They just want to know if they might hope for additional merit funding. Maybe they don't think they'll qualify for need-based aid. Nothing wrong with a little neuroticism on SDN.

Read the Geffen story here (largest individual donation to a medical school ever back in 2001): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Geffen_School_of_Medicine_at_UCLA
  28. uclabruins2011

uclabruins2011

but he/she has a point though...geffen doesnt give out scholarships on top of the 5k unless you are already enrolled, and very very few get it (you can assume pretty much no one). so really, its kind of ludicrous to try to classify the scholarship and expect to get anything else on top of that based on "merit"
  29. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What I'm really wondering about is why Weyburn is so expensive. I've been reading the yelp reviews and it sounds pretty grim (small, expensive, excessive noise from construction, internet watchdogs, no easy access to visitor parking, difficulty receiving mail, and worst of all... no pool!).

I've also been checking craigslist and at first glance it appears a decently sized 2Br in Westwood can be had for around $1600. Now to just find a roommate and to move... blarg...

I am kind of concerned about distancing myself from my fellow students by not living in Weyburn, but hey, I could still be in walking distance.

Can anyone from the area offer any advice on renting (where, how much, how)?

Cheers!
  30. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Whatever might be rumor or may have happened in the past is not guaranteed to happen this year.

All we know for fact is that the website distinguishes between merit and need based aid. Who knows what may come in the future. All speculation is on the table until it comes.

Let worry be our watchword.
  31. dbeast

dbeast Neurorectal surgeon

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You might want to double check this info with the financial aid office... There are definitely students here with additional scholarships from pretty early on (not certain whether this was before or shortly after enrolling). As for assuming "pretty much no one" gets it, that's just not true, not to mention a silly reason to help you decide between schools.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  32. Saragam

Saragam

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The cynical side of me will say that UCLA is giving this scholarship so that they can show a very high percentage of their students get non-loan aid.

I checked on US News & World Report and although the exact number escapes me, I do recall that over 94% of UCLA students are shown to get financial aid in the form of "grants/scholarships".

It's not a bad stat to maintain. Even so, the scholarship is much appreciated. I'm not complaining!
  33. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The truly cynical side of you would recognize that part of life is playing a political game. Medical schools compete to survive or thrive. Image is part of politics and part of the game. It is not a bad thing. Just a thing to be aware of. Don't fight the game.

I find it interesting to think on. For example, the recent trend in medical education towards more PBL and active-learning is usually hailed as being brought on by schools analyzing their own curriculum and realizing it needed to change. What's not said is that the licensing board, the LCME, requires these changes to be implemented by 2014 for schools to maintain their license. It is actually the government driving this trend. Now what would really be cool was if we got to analyze the data behind this government decision and determine if it was actually reasonable and hence if this experiment is a useful one. But you see, the same story spun 2 different ways (active change on the part of the school vs. forced compliance).

Edit: Oh and openly talking about the game is always a bad idea. It's kind of like fight club that way.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  34. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    dbeast: For some reason I find your avatar very disturbing. I feel as if he's going to swallow me.

... Great film though.
  35. dbeast

dbeast Neurorectal surgeon

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ah yeah, such a wonderfully awkward freeze-frame just felt so right...
  36. TRH2010

TRH2010

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm sorry but there is not a decent sized 2BR in westwood for $1600. You can find a one bedroom for that, and only if one person is on the lease. If you want to put two they will charge you more. 2 bedrooms are between 2,000-3,500 in Westwood. When I lived off Kelton, my roomates and I spent 3,000 every month for a 2 br, 2 bath, plus 120 in utilities.
  37. Bruiner

Bruiner

Pre-Medical
    This is pretty accurate. 2 bedrooms are AT LEAST 2000 in Westwood, and even those are VERY difficult to come by. If you find one, chance are it's not a very nice/big apartment. Most decent 2 br/2bath are at least $2400. You should also factor in parking. Many apartment complexes charge 100-200 a month for a spot....ONE spot. If you get lucky, you may be able to find an apt complex with parking included.
  38. MHFTL

MHFTL

Pre-Medical
    You can definitely find cheaper living situations outside of Westwood. When I lived in Westwood we paid $2700 for a 2 BD, 1 BA with two parking spots. Parking in WW is definitely an issue. Most spots are 2 hour parking. It is so expensive because there is no space to expand within the area so apartments can get away with charging a lot and students will pay it. I don't know if you would want to live in the middle of all the undergrads though, it can get really loud.

If you look at apts South of Wilshire the situation is a little better, but still expensive. I recommend West LA, personally. Currently I live in a 4 bd 2.5 ba and we pay $2900 which includes two parking spots. Plus street parking is not an issue if you have guests, at least in our neighborhood. It is about 2 miles (10 minute drive once you figure out the back streets) from UCLA. If you live off campus you will have to pay extra for parking ($68 / month) but you save in living expenses. Since you can get a parking permit it is easy to come back to WW to socialize and after 4:30 pm and all day on weekends you can park in any lot so you could park in lot 31 or 32 and be close to your fellow students that live in Weyburn housing.

When you start seriously looking, if you decide to live off campus I would recommend paying for a subscription to Westside Rentals. If/When you get Time Warner Cable, they reimburse you for two months of your subscription. It is a great website that lists legitimate apartments so you don't have to worry about Craigslist scams. Just be aware that when you are going to look at apartments you should have your checkbook ready because if it's a rent controlled apartment (as most of Santa Monica is) and it's not in a complex, it will go fast. I hope this helps!
  39. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check them out.

What other neighborhoods in the area are safe and cheaper?

I don't mind living a couple miles out as long as I can cycle in.

Cheers!
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  40. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not denying that the 2Br's I'm seeing might not be garbage (I'm not in the area to check), but a quick CL search does reveal several at that price ($1595).
    There seem to be a lot at Veteran Apartment Homes: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2897830783.html
    Do you guys know anyone who lives in this complex?

How do most people find their apartments?

Are most people happy at Weyburn, because it didn't appear that way on yelp?

Cheers.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  41. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    One more question.

I was looking through the minutes on the Geffen Student Counsel's website (http://mscdgsom.weebly.com/) and it appeared they were working on a Medical School guide written by medical students for medical students (the Geffy Guide). Was that ever finished and if so, would it be possible to snag a copy?

Cheers!
  42. TRH2010

TRH2010

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I did a quick CL search, and could not find any that were not temporarily leases for a short term. To find an apartment you have to literally walk around Westwood with the people you want to rent with and get on a waiting list. You can write down the numbers to management and call them several times throughout the week, make an appointment, schedule a viewing, etc. Some places have websites, but not many. Most places require tenants to let management know if they will not be renewing their leases. It is easy to figure out the places with room available rather quickly.

The only 2000 2BR I saw in Westwood were on Veteran, and it was more a 1br with a loft. They didn't clean the carpets, VERY outdated, smelled funky, and would only rent it "as is".
  43. Fawn Leibowitz

Fawn Leibowitz

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Accepted with the 3/9 group and also received the $5K. For anyone worried about transcripts, I hadn't sent mine yet so it doesn't seem mandatory to do so before acceptance. I've decided to withdraw - I hope that frees the spot for someone else. Good luck to those still waiting!
  44. Bluvip

Bluvip MD 2017

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi I'm UCLA DGSOM. I'm going to wait till march to accept a ****ton of candidates who won't want to come to my school anyways and just be a retard like that!
  45. uclabruins2011

uclabruins2011

lol its pretty normal to pay close to $3000 for a 2bd/2bath in westwood. they also charged us $100 a month for parking, and none of this includes any utilities or internet.
  46. uclabruins2011

uclabruins2011

its not really UCLA's fault though, they had some truly stellar applicants, and the current budget situation (increases in tuition etc) obviously doesnt allow DGSOM to give more scholarship money to keep all the out of staters they accept. its becoming really expensive to attend these UC's for med school, particularly UCLA (because of the INSANE housing prices in westwood, only second to manhattan prices)
  47. Bluvip

Bluvip MD 2017

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I know, I'm just blowing off steam cuz I haven't been accepted anywhere lol
  48. Geminids

Geminids

Pre-Medical
    Sure, it's increasing in cost, but it's a great institution and worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. :)
  49. Geminids

Geminids

Pre-Medical
    Be patient, Bluvip! :) Waitlists will move soon and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere! Best of luck to you!
  50. babydragon

babydragon Pls don't wake me

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This is class:nod:. But in all fairness, everyone is waiting for everyone else to drop. And until financial aid offers roll out, it's still a stand still. And for those who have yet to be accepted anywhere by March, it is completely sane to point that out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.