2011-2012 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optional:
If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to be the first to post in a SS thread. LOL. Good luck everyone! We're going to need it. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dream school, dream city right here (even with my less than pretty stats :()
Hope to get some lovin'! Good luck, everyone :)

Aaaaaaand here we go again! :luck:

anyone out there an OOSer with advice on how to get in???

Be awesome?

Seriously though, UCSF is one of the *easier* UC schools for OOS students to get into, (along with UCLA) based on the MSAR. Some combination of great numbers and impressive ECs is probably a good start, though. Based on my experience, good numbers alone (unless they're super high) aren't necessarily enough to even get a secondary if you're OOS.
Still, it's always worth a shot, as long as you keep your expectations reasonable.

anyone out there an OOSer with advice on how to get in???

I'm technically an OOS applicant, but I spent a fair amount of my undergraduate career studying at the UCSF library :love:, so this reach is worth a shot to me. :love:

Good luck everyone!

Be awesome?

Seriously though, UCSF is one of the *easier* UC schools for OOS students to get into, (along with UCLA) based on the MSAR. Some combination of great numbers and impressive ECs is probably a good start, though. Based on my experience, good numbers alone (unless they're super high) aren't necessarily enough to even get a secondary if you're OOS.
Still, it's always worth a shot, as long as you keep your expectations reasonable.

I had an OSS friend who had a 3.98 GPA (cum), his only non-A in an upper division inorganic chemistry course (it was an A-). He had a 39 on his MCAT and great ECs.

He was shot down by UCSF, not even a secondary. Although he got in everywhere else he applied (Harvard, UPenn, Michigan, Johns Hopskins, etc.)

I am applying here in hope too, although my stats don't quite measure up to his.

GL to everyone!!!!!!!
Just thought I'd let you know: be prepared for the extreme randomness that is the application cycle and don't expect anything!

Hope to be giving you guys tours next year ;)

Sweet! UCSF!

Cept i prolly won't get an interview invite. boo.

But wow, Parnassus is awesome! I remember goin on a school tour when i visited SF for family...

I recall anatomy lab was like on the 13rd floor of the med tower...and the labs just look out all of SF harbor. that was epic. great distraction tho!:love:

And then when you feel burnt out, you can just walk across the street to work out! man i'm jealous. haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to those who have received secondaries! Are you CA residents?

Congrats on getting a little love from UCSF!
Could someone please post this year's prompts? Thanks.

i'm a cali resident whose primary was verified a long time ago. no word yet.

hoping for a secondary :) i wasn't expecting them this early, i am still hopeful

Cali resident

stats gpa >3.6 MCAT >30

There is no required essay but you are allowed to expand on your activities if you want up to 500 words.

very short and sweet. and onyl $60!!!! my cheapest one yet lol

Does anyone know how UCSF rolls out secondaries?

Does anyone know how schools like UCSF screen primaries before sending secondaries? Do they only look at verified primaries or do they wait for LORs too?

Any idea on who actually screens the apps?

i got the secondary!!!!! congrats to everyone else who got one! keep hope, they're working on reviewing primaries these days :luck:

Does anyone know how schools like UCSF screen primaries before sending secondaries? Do they only look at verified primaries or do they wait for LORs too?

Any idea on who actually screens the apps?
The school FAQ answer's your first two questions. I don't know about the last, except that it's the "admissions committee"

What does the Admissions Committee consider in the initial reviews of my application?

The Admissions Committee looks at:

• GPAs
  • MCAT scores
  • State of legal residency
  • Applicant's personal statement
  • The extent and depth of extracurricular activities
  • Work experience
  • Honors and awards
  • Student's background
http://medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/faqs/

i got the secondary!!!!! congrats to everyone else who got one! keep hope, they're working on reviewing primaries these days :luck:

congrats!!!!!
just wondering, did you get an email saying they are reviewing your primary???

just got my secondary as well, same time as my amcas received, looks like they're working through them really fast.

EDIT: OOS

Last edited:
I just got the email about them receiving my AMCAS... do you think I won't get an email about my status until my MCAT score comes in (July 19th)? I find it hard to believe that I would receive a secondary without it lol.

Just got the AMCAS one and then this:

An update has been made to the status of your UCSF School of Medicine application. Please visit your Application Status page for more information.

and that had the secondary request. I would think you wouldn't hear until it's complete, but I'm not sure. yeah and they consider MCAT for secondary screening.

Just got the AMCAS one and then this:

An update has been made to the status of your UCSF School of Medicine application. Please visit your Application Status page for more information.

and that had the secondary request. I would think you wouldn't hear until it's complete, but I'm not sure. yeah and they consider MCAT for secondary screening.
How long was it between those emails? I just received the AMCAS one this morning. :xf:

Do you know if it's possible to create an account before receiving the AMCAS email? Or does that e-mail contain your password etc...?

Have any MSTP applicants received secondaries yet?

Any re-applicants receive secondaries?

Congrats on the secondaries guys! Any idea how long you had between having your primary verified and receiving your secondary app? I'm still crossing my fingers over here...

If we got rejected pre-secondary, do we at least get an email saying so?

I just submitted the secondary. I hope everyone here gets rejected to increase the likelihood of me getting an interview.

I just submitted the secondary. I hope everyone here gets rejected to increase the likelihood of me getting an interview.
:smuggrin::xf:

i don't understand why people with low stats apply to schools like ucsf. please, if you're dumb, apply to low tier schools. don't crowd the good schools, you won't get in. don't waste the admissions committee's or your own time. to the geniuses with 28-32 mcat, and 3.3 gpa: apply to loma linda.

ucsf #1

i don't understand why people with low stats apply to schools like ucsf. please, if you're dumb, apply to low tier schools. don't crowd the good schools, you won't get in. don't waste the admissions committee's or your own time. to the geniuses with 28-32 mcat, and 3.3 gpa: apply to loma linda.

ucsf #1

That attitude won't get you into a school that prides itself on taking quality open minded people

ucsf #1

i mean stats are stats, there are all kinds of worthwhile things people can do and not have the best grades any human has ever achieved ever. Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.