2011-2012 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No reports of rejection, as far as I can see... If what you were told holds, then we should have a better idea very shortly. GL!

Didn't some people report rejections at the bottom of the last page in this thread?

I called too and I was told the same. A bunch of rejections went out recently and that we will essentially know by the end of January (7 days !) if we get an II or not. I was told that they interview up till the end of February.

plz oh plz oh plz! I would love to interview here :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clear up some things that seemed to be of confusion recently, at my interview yesterday I learned a couple things:

305/350 acceptance have been given out so far and the date that you interviewed (earlier vs. later) has no bearing on where you will ultimately be ranked on the wait list (top, middle, bottom 3rd).

I think quite a few people reported rejections last time I checked this thread. It's probably around late Dec/early Jan? Anyway, good luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if the wait list is continuously reviewed for acceptances till May, or do they not even look at it till then? The alternate list status makes it seem like we're continuously reviewed....

Do you know if the wait list is continuously reviewed for acceptances till May, or do they not even look at it till then? The alternate list status makes it seem like we're continuously reviewed

Here is what I gathered (I can't guarantee this is all 100% accurate but it is what I wrote down during the presentation from the assistant dean of admissions):

The waitlist is ranked around the first week of May (into thirds), which implies that they do not take anyone off of the waitlist until at least May. I believe they wait until they get the class size back down to their goal before they start offering spots off of the waitlist.

He said they usually end up extending offers to the majority of the top 3rd of the waitlist.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

:)Accepted! Oos. Interviewed 1/17. Average stats and mcat, lots of ec. I'm so glad! It's my first. Got the status changed email and then logged in to check my status on medone. Good luck to everyone else!

:)Accepted! Oos. Interviewed 1/17. Average stats and mcat, lots of ec. I'm so glad! It's my first. Got the status changed email and then logged in to check my status on medone. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats! :)

Are there any new II yet? I was told that the last batch would probably go out towards the end of January....we're almost there!! :scared:

Are there any new II yet? I was told that the last batch would probably go out towards the end of January....we're almost there!! :scared:

I've been stalking this thread like crazy to see updated movement...:ninja: Must be coming soon!

We were told at the II that adcom meets every other Wednesday to give out admissions and interviews. So if there is any news on interview, it would be on a Wednesday or early on Thursday.

We were told at the II that adcom meets every other Wednesday to give out admissions and interviews. So if there is any news on interview, it would be on a Wednesday or early on Thursday.

That is very helpful. Thanks! OMG, hopefully news this upcoming Wed/Thurs!!! :love:

That is very helpful. Thanks! OMG, hopefully news this upcoming Wed/Thurs!!! :love:

Yeah I know! Just wondering though....if we weren't cut out of the pool in december when they removed a lot of applicants, we stand a pretty decent shot a nabbing one of the last interviews right? or else they would throw us out as well right?

Ohh, i'm just getting neurotic here. :scared:

I was accepted in October, and I have a couple of questions.

Does Cincinnati have a second look program? And if so, when is it? Even though there's like a 95% probability that I'll end up there, I still need to find roommates and such, and confirm my decision.

Also, the info for admitted students link has disappeared from my MedOneStop page, which has information like orientation dates and schedule [and maybe second look information?] Has that happened for anyone else or is it just hiding somewhere I haven't looked?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted in October, and I have a couple of questions.

Does Cincinnati have a second look program? And if so, when is it? Even though there's like a 95% probability that I'll end up there, I still need to find roommates and such, and confirm my decision.

Also, the info for admitted students link has disappeared from my MedOneStop page, which has information like orientation dates and schedule [and maybe second look information?] Has that happened for anyone else or is it just hiding somewhere I haven't looked?

Thanks!

They had a second look last year for anyone accept in either april or may. The video's from the event last year can be found at
Code:
http://med.uc.edu/StudentServices/MedicalStudentAdmissions/SecondLook.aspx

Orientation should be August 6-10th unless they start the new class at a different time than the second years.

So many accepted's in this thread! Any hope/advice for someone who is still waiting (application complete 11/4/11)? Ahhhhhhhh...

Why do you guys think that we're going to hear back soon about interview invites? Did they say they were sending them out soon?

Why do you guys think that we're going to hear back soon about interview invites? Did they say they were sending them out soon?

I was told by the end of January. From what I could recall, there were 4 interview days in February and I'm assuming the next (and presumably) last batch of II will be for the last few interview spots.

:xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

I was told by the end of January. From what I could recall, there were 4 interview days in February and I'm assuming the next (and presumably) last batch of II will be for the last few interview spots.

:xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

Definitely hope so! Wonder how many of the ones left get interviews and how many get rejected :-/

Just to clear up some things that seemed to be of confusion recently, at my interview yesterday I learned a couple things:

305/350 acceptance have been given out so far and the date that you interviewed (earlier vs. later) has no bearing on where you will ultimately be ranked on the wait list (top, middle, bottom 3rd).

christ...

what state? if you don't mind me asking? Neighboring state? Same region?

I was under the impression they interview in march? I've seen a couple of mdapp profiles that show it...But who knows

christ...

what state? if you don't mind me asking? Neighboring state? Same region?

I was under the impression they interview in march? I've seen a couple of mdapp profiles that show it...But who knows

to be honest buddy, all of this is anecdotal information pieced together from random, neurotic premeds (my self included :D)

haha, perhaps they do interview into march. But when I called, they said the last interviews (not interview invites) would be held in February. Maybe it's a little different this cycle than from last cycle? Who knows?

Sometimes, I get a feeling that the people at the admissions office don't have the full picture as well (not just at Univ of Cin, but at all med schools :laugh:)

Anyway, I wish you all good luck in the next few days. Hopefully, we might actually meet up at the school! :)

Got an interview invite today! I was told though that I'll likely be interviewing for the alternate list but it looks like there's hope for those waiting out until the end.

congrats! i still am only complete here. i'm not sure what to think of this, lol

Got an interview invite today! I was told though that I'll likely be interviewing for the alternate list but it looks like there's hope for those waiting out until the end.

Congratulations! I recognize you from other schools that I interviewed at, so I must at least have a fighting chance at Cinci. You give us hope :)

I am also only complete. :confused:

Well sounds like we would be interviewing for the wait list which = $600-$800 dagger to the bank if we don't get in after it's all said and done lol

Congratulations! I recognize you from other schools that I interviewed at, so I must at least have a fighting chance at Cinci. You give us hope :)

Thanks...yeah it's funny how we're all in the same threads, but hopefully we'll all end up with a med school acceptance which is what really matters at the end of the day.

Well sounds like we would be interviewing for the wait list which = $600-$800 dagger to the bank if we don't get in after it's all said and done lol

Well with the super unpredictable nature of med school admissions, I'm just going to go and give it my best shot.....at this point in the cycle, I'm trying to have as many possibilities and hopefully I'll have some nice options at the end. :xf:

Yeahhhh....I'm still "complete" too :confused:

I think they gave out their last interview invites and they have not yet updated the rest of us. I'll call tomorrow and try and find out...

Good luck to those who got an II! :luck:

Going through the thread, it looks like pre-interview rejections were performed via e-mail, so I am choosing to remain hopeful until I get one one of those bad boys.

I would happily interview for a waitlist position. :D :luck: :D Granted, it's not as ideal as an acceptance, but I still like them odds. :love:

"Dagger to the bank" is an amazing quote, lol. :laugh:

Going through the thread, it looks like pre-interview rejections were performed via e-mail, so I am choosing to remain hopeful until I get one one of those bad boys.

I would happily interview for a waitlist position. :D :luck: :D Granted, it's not as ideal as an acceptance, but I still like them odds. :love:

"Dagger to the bank" is an amazing quote, lol. :laugh:

I completely agree. I would definitely interview at UC (or anywhere for that matter :laugh:) even if it was for a WL position. You're totally right, the odds do tend to look good.

common UC!.....:xf::xf::xf::xf:

So are we rejected if we didn't get an interview invite this week?

So are we rejected if we didn't get an interview invite this week?

Not necessarily, when I called last week they said that invites will be also rolling out as people cancel/ drop their interviews which happens late in the season cuz of other offers etc. She said that an invite may pop up for within the same week - super short notice. That's all I know.

Not necessarily, when I called last week they said that invites will be also rolling out as people cancel/ drop their interviews which happens late in the season cuz of other offers etc. She said that an invite may pop up for within the same week - super short notice. That's all I know.

so, yeaaaa....

when I called yesterday, this is what was told: there are three more interview days left in February (as opposed to four when I called ~two weeks ago) and that there were a wave of rejections in december (old news already). If we haven't received an II yet, we're still in the running but she said the remaining II would go out in "a few days." This was said yesterday so I don't know if by "a few days" she meant yesterday, today, this weekend and early next week.

So I guess, they're still looking for people to fill those other three interview days in February. I just think our chances are slimmer and slimmer as the days progress. Probably when people do get called up, it will be for a spot that just opened up.

Hmm I wonder how many applicants they have strung along until now for these last few spots...

My guess is that the last batch of new interview invites was on Wednesday since they tend to give out new invites and acceptances on Wednesdays/Thursdays. Now they're going to go through this month and invite people if someone drops out before giving the final rejections to those who still haven't interviewed yet.

My guess is that the last batch of new interview invites was on Wednesday since they tend to give out new invites and acceptances on Wednesdays/Thursdays. Now they're going to go through this month and invite people if someone drops out before giving the final rejections to those who still haven't interviewed yet.

My end-of-cycle rejection last year came on March 24 if it helps for reference. The interview dates ended a little while (couple weeks maybe?) before that so your timeline guess is probably pretty accurate.

My end-of-cycle rejection last year came on March 24 if it helps for reference. The interview dates ended a little while (couple weeks maybe?) before that so your timeline guess is probably pretty accurate.

I guess the natural question becomes is how long after that do they wait to break their waitlist up into tertiles?

I guess the natural question becomes is how long after that do they wait to break their waitlist up into tertiles?

At my interview the Dean of Admissions said the waitlist is ranked around the first week of May.

Hey everyone. I recently received Cincy's Financial Aid Handbook in the mail, and was hoping that it would answer my question about merit based scholarships, but to no avail. Based on the handbook, it doesn't look like Cincy offers incoming students merit based scholarship?? Apparently there are scholarships one can apply for during 3rd and 4th year of school, but I'm not seeing anything about merit scholarships over the course of 4 years. Any info is appreciated. I've been doing some searching, and haven't really found anything out. Also, when will we hear about 2nd look/Welcome events?

Hey everyone. I recently received Cincy's Financial Aid Handbook in the mail, and was hoping that it would answer my question about merit based scholarships, but to no avail. Based on the handbook, it doesn't look like Cincy offers incoming students merit based scholarship?? Apparently there are scholarships one can apply for during 3rd and 4th year of school, but I'm not seeing anything about merit scholarships over the course of 4 years. Any info is appreciated. I've been doing some searching, and haven't really found anything out. Also, when will we hear about 2nd look/Welcome events?

I have written down from the financial aid presentation that students are automatically considered for merit scholarships. This next part is going off of memory, but I believe he said 10% (or maybe less than 10%) of students receive some kind of merit based scholarship.

I have written down from the financial aid presentation that students are automatically considered for merit scholarships. This next part is going off of memory, but I believe he said 10% (or maybe less than 10%) of students receive some kind of merit based scholarship.

Thanks a lot for the info! Hopefully we will be hearing back about things soon..:thumbup:

Interview Invite about 4 hours ago for this Friday (2/10)

I also got the email saying I'd likely be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.

Complete back in July, IS

Interview Invite about 4 hours ago for this Friday (2/10)

I also got the email saying I'd likely be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.

Complete back in July, IS

Congrats, short notice indeed

So...

Anyone get an invite yet?

All quiet here as well. I think the most likeliest scenario is what happened to the above poster. (Congrats seb224 btw!)

Short notice indeed...

Seb224, are you near the state of Ohio? I think it's more likely that people will get called for these short notice interviews if they are near the area. I, on the other hand, am from Cali :( haha, I could be completely wrong tho

All quiet here as well. I think the most likeliest scenario is what happened to the above poster. (Congrats seb224 btw!)

Short notice indeed...

Seb224, are you near the state of Ohio? I think it's more likely that people will get called for these short notice interviews if they are near the area. I, on the other hand, am from Cali :( haha, I could be completely wrong tho

Thanks! I go to school near UC and my commute will only be about an hour (driving), so you may be right. I was actually thinking the same thing...

Thanks! I go to school near UC and my commute will only be about an hour (driving), so you may be right. I was actually thinking the same thing...

Did you happen to send an update letter or anything since being complete in July?

Did you happen to send an update letter or anything since being complete in July?

Nope, I haven't sent any updates. Honestly I wasn't expecting this, so I'm still a bit shocked myself haha

Status
Not open for further replies.