2011-2012 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rejected pre-II

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally received my rejection here, which was not a surprise. Now I am just waiting for the other schools that I haven't heard from in months to do the same...

Waitlisted as well....not really surprised because the class was full by the time I was reviewed.

Any Cincy Med students or informed, accepted premeds know when we can expect to hear back about scholarship notification? I think I remember hearing late March? Thanks!

So...

Is there a second look weekend? I haven't heard anything.

Also, is there a Facebook group?

I really haven't been contacted by the school in any capacity since acceptance back in the fall... so I am curious if these things exist or not.

Thanks!

I called the admissions office yesterday and they said that they were "probably" having a second look but weren't sure about dates yet. I was told that they'd send out a save the date when they decided something, but that we could always set up something independently if we were in the area.

I got an email about Second Look recently .Excited! Have any of you guys confirmed yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to go, but if it's just a review of the curriculum and another short tour, I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to hike out there. Especially when it means finding coverage for work. Any word on potentially fun stuff?

I'd like to go, but if it's just a review of the curriculum and another short tour, I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to hike out there. Especially when it means finding coverage for work. Any word on potentially fun stuff?

The whole official program is this:

12:45pm- Check-in
1:00pm- Financial Aid
1:45pm- Tours
2:30pm- Curriculum
3:15pm- Depart

Anything else would be unofficial and organized by students.

Yeah, last minute flights to Cincinnati are extremely expensive.

I'll be attending UCCOM this year, would love to meet anybody else that plans on attending. I live in the area, only problem is I work 8-5 so I can't make it to Second Look. After 5 though, I'm down for anything!

I unfortunately wont be able to make it to the second look event, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the exam schedule is like for M1?
Also, can anyone elaborate more on the schedule? I know about the different classes from the website, but have no idea how a typical week looks, is it organized in blocks? From what time to what time are we in class? ect.

Thank you in advance!!

i unfortunately wont be able to make it to the second look event, but i was wondering if anyone knows what the exam schedule is like for m1?
Also, can anyone elaborate more on the schedule? I know about the different classes from the website, but have no idea how a typical week looks, is it organized in blocks? From what time to what time are we in class? Ect.

Thank you in advance!!

+1

I unfortunately wont be able to make it to the second look event, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the exam schedule is like for M1?
Also, can anyone elaborate more on the schedule? I know about the different classes from the website, but have no idea how a typical week looks, is it organized in blocks? From what time to what time are we in class? ect.

Thank you in advance!!

From what I heard, the exam schedule will be different in the coming year. Last year was the first year of the new curriculum, and students provided feedback about the exams not being spaced well. They are likely to adjust the schedule for that. There are weekly quizzes too. First few weeks had some classes with mandatory attendance from around 9-4, after that you can download video/audio of the lectures.

Sorry the info isn't much more detailed, but the schedule is certainly nothing unbearable

Does anyone know when the first day is for matriculating students (or at least a close approximation)? I know they start in August, but does anyone know when in August?

Here's the academic schedule for next year. First day is August 13.
link

Thank you in advance!!

Broken into blocks. First Year's blocks are:
1) First Responder - 2 wks
2) Physician and Society - 4 wks
3) Fundamentals - I think it was 8-10 weeks ( exams were the week after Thanksgiving)
4) Embryology/Endocrine/Sexuality - 8 wks
5) Infection and Immunity - 6 wks
6) Musculoskeletal - 10ish wks

Starting with Physician and Society on its 9-12 lectures. Most are optional, but anything with patients or graded quizes are required.

Usually 1 afternoon is free. 1 is a learning community. Every other week you have the primary care clerkship. 1 afternoon is usually clinical skills.

There may be a little bit of changes with the length of some blocks next year.

Once you have a UC central login, you'll be able to look at the E-schedule which shows each days schedule.

So we still need to wait about a month for UC to rank the WL?

I'm dying here lol ...

So we still need to wait about a month for UC to rank the WL?

I'm dying here lol ...

I just got an email saying i've been placed on the alternate list. I think they want to wait to see exactly who wants to remain in consideration before they rank the waitlist.

I just got an email saying i've been placed on the alternate list. I think they want to wait to see exactly who wants to remain in consideration before they rank the waitlist.

yeah I just got that email as well.

:xf:

same. premed i was deferred at osu too, we have very similar experiences so far. did you email the dean of uc to ask why you were wl'ed or just call the office? i didn't know we could do that...wondering if i should try that now

+1 on the Alternate List e-mail today....was thrown off for a loop when I saw the word Congratulations :laugh:

Withdrew earlier this week. Good luck to everyone!

D.

Any Cincy Med students or informed, accepted premeds know when we can expect to hear back about scholarship notification? I think I remember hearing late March? Thanks!

Just called financial aid. Scholarship recipients were notified in early April. Bummer.

got waitlist email today.

Regarding position on list:

While we would like to provide you with a more specific estimate for an acceptance; unfortunately, we are unable to do so. The chances for an acceptance are greater for those in the upper third of the Alternate List than those in the middle or lower third. However, our experience over the past several years has varied greatly.

Ranked in lower third. I like how they change the wording of the email depending on what tier you get:

The chances for an acceptance are greater for those in the upper and middle third of the Alternate List than those in the lower third. However, our experience over the past several years has varied greatly in terms of making offers to students in the lower third of the alternate list.

Good luck to everyone!

Upper 1/3 of waitlist here.

Its been so long, does anyone remember what the Dean of Admissions said in his intro about their past waitlist utilization, or how many they WL?

Obviously no one can predict the future, but some schools pull more than others.

Its been so long, does anyone remember what the Dean of Admissions said in his intro about their past waitlist utilization, or how many they WL?

Obviously no one can predict the future, but some schools pull more than others.

he said they usually pull most/all of the top third so you've got a great chance! I think he said there are about 80 people in each tier.

Yeah upper third here as well. I'm crossing my fingers :xf:

Hopefully they'll have some movement. From the notes I took on my interview day (the very last interview day) is this: there are about 250 people on the WL in total and they're divided up into thirds. Dr. Manuel told us that usually 80 offers are made to pull people from the WL.
I'm assuming the WL is divided in to three groups of 80 (give or take a few here and there). If they pull about 80 people, then those of us on the top third stand a decent chance.

Good luck!

Yeah upper third here as well. I'm crossing my fingers :xf:

Hopefully they'll have some movement. From the notes I took on my interview day (the very last interview day) is this: there are about 250 people on the WL in total and they're divided up into thirds. Dr. Manuel told us that usually 80 offers are made to pull people from the WL.
I'm assuming the WL is divided in to three groups of 80 (give or take a few here and there). If they pull about 80 people, then those of us on the top third stand a decent chance.

Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you as well.

Those stats give me optimism, but every year is different.

I do remember hearing that we won't know where we rank within the tiers, and that they don't necessarily offer in numerical order (ie- if the class was low on in-staters they would pull those first).

Thanks, good luck to you as well.

Those stats give me optimism, but every year is different.

I do remember hearing that we won't know where we rank within the tiers, and that they don't necessarily offer in numerical order (ie- if the class was low on in-staters they would pull those first).

I also remember him saying it's based on demographics. Depending on who drops out, they will pull someone with similar stats/location etc.

Broken into blocks. First Year's blocks are:
2) Physician and Society - 4 wks
3) Fundamentals - I think it was 8-10 weeks ( exams were the week after Thanksgiving)
4) Embryology/Endocrine/Sexuality - 8 wks
5) Infection and Immunity - 6 wks
6) Musculoskeletal - 10ish wks

Starting with Physician and Society on its 9-12 lectures. Most are optional, but anything with patients or graded quizes are required.

Usually 1 afternoon is free. 1 is a learning community. Every other week you have the primary care clerkship. 1 afternoon is usually clinical skills.

There may be a little bit of changes with the length of some blocks next year.

Once you have a UC central login, you'll be able to look at the E-schedule which shows each days schedule.

I heard recently that the Infection and Immunity block was going to be dissolved and integrated into others which would include making fundamentals even longer.

I heard recently that the Infection and Immunity block was going to be dissolved and integrated into others which would include making fundamentals even longer.

Most recent schedule for the blocks we've heard for next years M1's will look something like this:

2) Physician and Society - 2 wks
3) Fundamentals - Will go till winter break
4) Embryology/Endocrine/Sexuality/GI - 15 wks <-not sure if GI will be separate or not but will most likely occur the same time current M1's are doing GI
5) Musculoskeletal - 7 wks

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance...hope it helps one of you! Best of Luck!

Has anyone received any financial aid news yet? I called the fin aid office last week and was tole they were working in award letters and they would send them within several days, but I have yet to receive anything.

I called in yesterday and they said award letters were mailed early Thursday morning. The lady was also able to tell me my fin aid package over the phone as well. Got a scholarship, so no, those who have scholarships are not only notified in April. :)

Got fin aid stuff today. I got a small Need-based scholarship and some institutional loans.

Did anyone else get a bizarrely inflated value for the estimated parental contribution? Mine was fully half of my parents combined salary. They usually just give me an itunes gift card for christmas, not their entire savings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Got fin aid stuff today. I got a small Need-based scholarship and some institutional loans.

Did anyone else get a bizarrely inflated value for the estimated parental contribution? Mine was fully half of my parents combined salary. They usually just give me an itunes gift card for christmas, not their entire savings.

I talked to financial aid person about it and she said that those numbers from the need access thing were just used to come up with the institutional loans or need based scholarships and were not expected to actually pay the expected contribution. we can totally pay for everything with loans which is what i plan to do

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to UC next year and was wondering if anyone knows what the housing scene in Cincinnati is like. Would it be a bad idea to hold off on looking for apartments until July or is there quite a bit of availability?

Thanks! (and sorry if this question has been addressed in earlier posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.