2011-2012 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if they have started accepting off of their waitlist, or when they start to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about this year.

Last year first posted acceptance off list was 5/19.

Looks like 5/20 the year before...

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to UC next year and was wondering if anyone knows what the housing scene in Cincinnati is like. Would it be a bad idea to hold off on looking for apartments until July or is there quite a bit of availability?

Thanks! (and sorry if this question has been addressed in earlier posts)

If you are planning on living in the Clifton area (immediately surrounding the university), housing tends to go quickly (a lot of stuff would have been rented since February-March, but you can still find some things) because of all of the undergrads as well--if you're looking for apartments in that area, it's probably best to get advice from someone who knows the area or check them out in person, because there's a fine line between what's fairly safe and what's not so safe--I've been living in Cincinnati my whole life, so I could offer some specific help on that.

Other areas that students tend to live are Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Eden Park, and Northside-- I think in a lot of those areas, you can find stuff a little closer to when you want to move in, but those tend to become available and get rented pretty quickly, so starting to look in June might give you more options than waiting until July, but you can usually find something later.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are planning on living in the Clifton area (immediately surrounding the university), housing tends to go quickly (a lot of stuff would have been rented since February-March, but you can still find some things) because of all of the undergrads as well--if you're looking for apartments in that area, it's probably best to get advice from someone who knows the area or check them out in person, because there's a fine line between what's fairly safe and what's not so safe--I've been living in Cincinnati my whole life, so I could offer some specific help on that.

Other areas that students tend to live are Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Eden Park, and Northside-- I think in a lot of those areas, you can find stuff a little closer to when you want to move in, but those tend to become available and get rented pretty quickly, so starting to look in June might give you more options than waiting until July, but you can usually find something later.

Oakley, Mt. Lookout and Columbia Tusculum are also popular options for those who don't mind the 10-20 minute drive in.

If your into urban living, the gateway quarter and downtown cincinnati also has some decent options.

From my personal experience, uptownrentals is a decent management company for the clifton area. A large number of students who live in Clifton stay at Stetson, but if you choose that, expect to pay around 1000 for a 1 bedroom or 1300 for a 2 bedroom.

Any other specific question about housing in Cincinnati, feel free to ask here or send me a PM.

Thanks for the info! Student 133, would you mind elaborating on what areas specifically to avoid? I'd like to start out the apartment search by searching available apartments online and then driving out once I have a few options narrowed down. It would help my search if I could eliminate a few places due to safety concerns.

The south side of main campus is where most robberies occur and the eastside of main campus/southside of the medical campus probably feels the seediest. I've lived in both areas and they really aren't that bad if your smart (i.e. not walking alone, at night, drunk)

Over-the-rhine which is between the university and downtown is one of the rougher neighborhoods in cincinnati, but it is up and coming with a lot of good restaurants and bar going in.

I would probably avoid price hill, avondale and there are some parts of walnut hills as well

I agree with the areas just mentioned. If you're careful, you'd probably be okay anywhere, but if you avoid those areas, you'll probably just feel a little safer and have to be a little less careful--it's really about personal preference.

That being said, if when you're looking, there are any specific streets you're unsure of, feel free to ask on here or in a pm

Can anyone comment on how it is to enter campus from Vine Street in the morning?

Going from Vine onto the medical campus isn't too bad.

If you have to drive on 75 to get in, its a mess (esp right now while they are working on adding 2 more lanes around the mitchell ave. exit.

Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me about parking on the med school campus... are parking passes exorbitantly expensive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it tough to find spots in the garage if you don't make it onto campus early?

Did anyone on the WL receive a financial aid package ? I got a big envelope today with a pink coversheet packet with regards to the fin aid stuff.

I'm waitlisted in the upper third and I'm out of state.

Did anyone on the WL receive a financial aid package ? I got a big envelope today with a pink coversheet packet with regards to the fin aid stuff.

I'm waitlisted in the upper third and I'm out of state.

I did, got my hopes up for a sec. I'm upper third in state.

Thanks for all the help everyone. One last question for anyone that can help - anyone familiar with Pleasant Ridge and if there are any decent housing options up there?

Thanks for all the help everyone. One last question for anyone that can help - anyone familiar with Pleasant Ridge and if there are any decent housing options up there?

Can't say I know too much about it other than driving through it and having a former co-worker who lived there. It looks alright and my co-worker seemed to like it. Rentals include houses, duplexes and 4 families. The prices are slightly less than you'll find in hyde park, mt. lookout and oakley. Most of the properties that I have seen on Craigslist while doing apartment shops have been a bit dated (or has character if you prefer).

Last edited:
Do you think it means anything?

Not sure. I am OOS, upper third, and also got the financial aid stuff in the mail today. I am beginning to think that all those in the upper third got this because the upper third email did say to expect communication from the financial aid office in the next several weeks.

Unless anyone out there is in the upper third and did not get the financial aid stuff... or someone in the middle or lower third also received the mail as well.

Not sure. I am OOS, upper third, and also got the financial aid stuff in the mail today. I am beginning to think that all those in the upper third got this because the upper third email did say to expect communication from the financial aid office in the next several weeks.

Unless anyone out there is in the upper third and did not get the financial aid stuff... or someone in the middle or lower third also received the mail as well.

Well, lets hope it means something :luck:

Has anyone been pulled off the WL recently? I remember during my interview, Dr. Manual said that the WL will start moving after 5/20.....

Well, lets hope it means something :luck:

Has anyone been pulled off the WL recently? I remember during my interview, Dr. Manual said that the WL will start moving after 5/20.....

I called the office of admissions earlier today to ask about WL movement. The lady who answered the phone said that the WL has not started moving yet. She also said that movement will possibly but not probably happen this week... rather we should expect to hear back next week at the earliest.

Here's to more waiting. :(

I called the office of admissions earlier today to ask about WL movement. The lady who answered the phone said that the WL has not started moving yet. She also said that movement will possibly but not probably happen this week... rather we should expect to hear back next week at the earliest.

Okay, thanks for the info.

Anyone in this thread get accepted with traffic infractions or non-academic or drug related institutional actions? Just looking over Cinci's secondaries and saw the brevity of it!

Last edited:

Did they say whether that was mostly because they're a little behind or because they don't have the number of spots they would normally have so the decision making process is harder?

I got the financial aide information too and I am on the middle third. I was confused when I got the envelope because I was thinking to myself "No way I got in off middle third within the first week!"

Ive got an acceptance at Toledo but I am still holding out hope for Cincy

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! so excited to go here! :) best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear!

OOS, upper third, accepted today via email! :love:

Ahhhh, what a pleasant surprise since I just called the office of admissions yesterday and they told me that movement won't begin until next week :confused:

But I'm not complaining! I'm so excited to see everyone in August!

Hey congratulations to all those who were accepted! I hope I can join you all in August ! I'm still holding out hope :xf::luck::xf:

$193.5/semister for the top deck(have to drive up 7 floors every day)
$351/semister for the rest of the garage

Is $351 for the regular floors worth it vs. $193.5 for top deck? Also is there a particular garage that anyone recommends? Obviously Eden is super convenient, but I'm guessing there's a lot of traffic going on in there in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eden is really the only option on the med campus. It really isn't bad entering it in the morning. I personally think the savings is worth parking on the top deck.

For current students, can someone help explain all the different living options. I'm from OOS and very unfamiliar with the Cincinnati area :/ Can you guys talk about the various apartment complexes, pros and cons for each, as well as your personal recommendations for an MS1? Thank you in advance!! :)

For current students, can someone help explain all the different living options. I'm from OOS and very unfamiliar with the Cincinnati area :/ Can you guys talk about the various apartment complexes, pros and cons for each, as well as your personal recommendations for an MS1? Thank you in advance!! :)

The first question is do you want to live within walking distance to campus or do you mind driving 10-20 minutes in to class each day in order to be in a more neighborhood setting surrounded by better shops and restaurants and be in a lower crime area?

The first question is do you want to live within walking distance to campus or do you mind driving 10-20 minutes in to class each day in order to be in a more neighborhood setting surrounded by better shops and restaurants and be in a lower crime area?

Thanks for the reply! I would really prefer to be within walking distance from campus but I also want the area to be safe enough in case I am coming home late at night, I don't want to be constantly looking over my shoulder. I was thinking about staying at the Bellevue buildings. What is your opinion on these apartments? Someone else mentioned Stetson to me but it seems a bit too pricey.

I would also consider living 10 min away if the area is nice, rent is reasonable, and parking is easy to find. Any suggestions for this? Thanks again!! :)

UCBSMD, I have a quick question for you. On the facebook page, one student mentioned that an out of state student can get first year tuition if he or she moves to the Kentucky side. Have you heard of this scenario? If so, do you know how to apply for instate if you move to northern Kentucky?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply! I would really prefer to be within walking distance from campus but I also want the area to be safe enough in case I am coming home late at night, I don't want to be constantly looking over my shoulder. I was thinking about staying at the Bellevue buildings. What is your opinion on these apartments? Someone else mentioned Stetson to me but it seems a bit too pricey.

I would also consider living 10 min away if the area is nice, rent is reasonable, and parking is easy to find. Any suggestions for this? Thanks again!! :)

I had looked at bellevue when I was an undergrad and the building seemed fine. There are also 2 other larger complexes near bellevue and stetson that are rented through uptown rentals (check under clifton east).

Hyde park, Oakley and Mt. Lookout are much safer neighborhoods that are about 10 minutes away, but you will have the added expense of driving in every day and buying parking. Most properties should have offstreet parking or plenty of on street parking if off-street is not available. Some companies to look at if you want larger rental agencies are uptown rentals, towne properties, grandin properties and cincyrents. I have worked with 3 of the 4 companies and never had any problems. You can also check out craigslist, but remember that pictures are not always 100% accurate.

UCBSMD, I have a quick question for you. On the facebook page, one student mentioned that an out of state student can get first year tuition if he or she moves to the Kentucky side. Have you heard of this scenario? If so, do you know how to apply for instate if you move to northern Kentucky?

Thanks.

To my knowledge you just have to have your primary address listed as northern kentucky. You will be out of state all years if you live there, but its a special rate that is only ~200 more/year than instate for all 4 years. I'll check with a buddy who's doing this and find out what he had to do.

It's been pretty quiet in here. I called the admin office today and they said that the class is full, but they are making offers of acceptances as people drop out.

I'm still holding out hope. Has anyone been accepted recently in the last week or so?
Thanks!

To my knowledge you just have to have your primary address listed as northern kentucky. You will be out of state all years if you live there, but its a special rate that is only ~200 more/year than instate for all 4 years. I'll check with a buddy who's doing this and find out what he had to do.

Thanks! That would be great.

It's been pretty quiet in here. I called the admin office today and they said that the class is full, but they are making offers of acceptances as people drop out.

I'm still holding out hope. Has anyone been accepted recently in the last week or so?
Thanks!

Wow, I wonder how much of the top 1/3 actually got in then! I remember Dean Manuel saying they take almost all of it, so hopefully you have some good luck! Hang tight :D

got email for acceptance this morning

Eden is really the only option on the med campus. It really isn't bad entering it in the morning. I personally think the savings is worth parking on the top deck.

There's Goodman Garage (University Hospital) and an open lots by Vontz and right behind the College of Pharmacy as well, although I'm not completely sure if students can purchase parking passes for these.

Eden really is the most convenient.

Eden is the only real place for med students to buy passes for on the med campus. Your other option is to search for non-metered street parking.

Email acceptance this afternoon off the top 1/3 of the waitlist.

Does UC provide any particular outside resources for step 1 prep - like Kaplan etc.?

Email acceptance this afternoon off the top 1/3 of the waitlist.

Does UC provide any particular outside resources for step 1 prep - like Kaplan etc.?

congrats buddy!

I'm still waiting, and hoping for some WL action on my end. I would absolutely love to go here:luck::luck: I'm tired of sitting on the top third! :laugh:

congrats buddy!

I'm still waiting, and hoping for some WL action on my end. I would absolutely love to go here:luck::luck: I'm tired of sitting on the top third! :laugh:

Thanks a lot. I'm definitely excited about the acceptance, really looking forward to starting in August! Good luck to you, I'm sure there will be more movement in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.