2011-2012 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
People take different (and sometimes difficult) paths on their journey to becoming a doctor. Tell us (a) about hardships you have overcome or challenges that you have faced in arriving at this point in your life, or (b) to the extent that these circumstances don't apply to you, please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations. Your discussion might include such things as family or personal health challenges, being from an economically disadvantaged background, having lived in a very rural or underserved community, being the first in your family to attend college, or speaking English as a second language.
(2500 Character Limit)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First choice here. My in state school. I'm worried I don't have the clinical experience though.

I'm applying to this school as a long shot... because I'm out of state, but my husband works in Denver... we'll see what happens...

Members don't see this ad :)
My top choice, both realistically and financially. :) It's been too long, Colorado! <3

My girlfriend is in the PA program here so Ive got big hopes on landing a seat this cycle.

Has anyone noticed the change in the LOR requirements? It used to say specifically: 2 LORs from science prof. and 1 from a non-science prof. Now it just says 3 to 5 LORs and they can be from x,y, or z. Anyone know of any other changes to the requirements from last year?

My in-state school and top choice! I'd be psyched to attend med school here.

Anyone from UCCS applying here?

From what they said at the admissions general info session today, the secondary prompt will likely stay the same.

I remember her bringing up Aug 1st specifically. I think she was saying that if there are any changes they have to be in by then. I would suspect they are going to be released the same time as last year.

I'm applying here...though...considering i'm OOS...i'll probably get screeeeeened out earrrly. hah. Oh well, one can only pray. :p

...i'll probably get screeeeeened out earrrly. hah.

Unfortunately you're much more likely to get strung along until the end of March and then rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember her bringing up Aug 1st specifically. I think she was saying that if there are any changes they have to be in by then. I would suspect they are going to be released the same time as last year.

Here's my question: so if the earliest you can turn in the secondary is August 1st, then do they give interview offers to some candidates based on primary applications? I'm a bit confused about this, because it seems you may be able to get some interview invitations just based on primary applications at some schools. Not sure if Colorado is this way or not--I wonder if they review applications before the secondaries are in?

Anyone from UCCS applying here?
I'm a UCCS grad (2004). Currently on the wait list at CU, but I've already submitted my app for this cycle, too. Are you a current student?

I'm an incoming MS1, so feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Obviously once classes start I'll have a better idea of most answers, but send 'em my way.

Hey, I was looking on their website and it says that the essay this year is the same as last year: People take different (and sometimes difficult) paths on their journey to becoming a doctor. Tell us (a) about hardships you have overcome or challenges that you have faced in arriving at this point in your life, or (b) to the extent that these circumstances don’t apply to you, please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations. Your discussion might include such things as family or personal health challenges, being from an economically disadvantaged background, having lived in a very rural or underserved community, being the first in your family to attend college, or speaking English as a second language.

Have they sent secondaries out?

Not as far as I know - I've been fully verified and submitted (even letters) for a while and no word. Which is fine. Too much to do already.

We probably will not hear from CO until late July, early August.

This is my reach school. I haven't lived in CO since I was 4 years old, but I was born there and I love the state :) Hopefully that counts for something!

They told me it doesn't matter. They said they ONLY consider resident or non-resident. I asked specifically if they consider "ties" to CO they said they do not....

They told me it doesn't matter. They said they ONLY consider resident or non-resident. I asked specifically if they consider "ties" to CO they said they do not....

Darn :( Not sure if I'll apply anymore, better to spend the money on a school I'm more likely to get into.

Anyone get the secondary yet? Applied a week ago still no word.

I think they take their sweet time. I was verified July 12th and haven't heard a word. IS applicant.

So tomorrow (Aug 1) is the first day you can submit the secondary app, but on the website it says:

"When we receive your verified application from AMCAS, we will send you an e-mail with instructions on how to access our Supplementary Application. The application fee is US$100. Access is only given to applicants whose verified applications were transmitted to us by AMCAS."

Does that mean that they will send out the emails tomorrow? Or has anyone received an email yet? I've been verified/transmitted for a while now and I haven't heard anything from them..

So tomorrow (Aug 1) is the first day you can submit the secondary app, but on the website it says:

"When we receive your verified application from AMCAS, we will send you an e-mail with instructions on how to access our Supplementary Application. The application fee is US$100. Access is only given to applicants whose verified applications were transmitted to us by AMCAS."

Does that mean that they will send out the emails tomorrow? Or has anyone received an email yet? I've been verified/transmitted for a while now and I haven't heard anything from them..

Pretty sure this means that they'll start sending the emails out tomorrow. I hope so! Colorado's is the last secondary I have to write. I'm excited to be done with them.

PS, hi! :D

Pretty sure this means that they'll start sending the emails out tomorrow. I hope so! Colorado's is the last secondary I have to write. I'm excited to be done with them.

PS, hi! :D

Ok great! I hope they do send them today! My essay is all ready and I want to be completely done! ( you saw that the prompt is up on their site already, right?)

PS, HELLO!!!!!! :)

Ok great! I hope they do send them today! My essay is all ready and I want to be completely done! ( you saw that the prompt is up on their site already, right?)

PS, HELLO!!!!!! :)

From the website:

Secondary Application and the completion of the Applicant’s file Secondary applications are requested from all applicants. The secondary application is an on-line process, whereby the link is forwarded to the students whose applications have been verified by AMCAS. The application contains one Colorado essay which is required, along with two optional choices of completing essays for consideration of becoming a member of the Rural Track or the Urban Track. (Details of these programs are listed under Tracks).

This essay is required of all applicants for the 2011-2012 application year (2,500 characters maximum):

• People take different (and sometimes difficult) paths on their journey to becoming a doctor. Tell us (a) about hardships you have overcome or challenges that you have faced in arriving at this point in your life, or (b) to the extent that these circumstances don’t apply to you, please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations. Your discussion might include such things as family or personal health challenges, being from an economically disadvantaged background, having lived in a very rural or underserved community, being the first in your family to attend college, or speaking English as a second language.

A $100 application fee is necessary to complete the process.

Thanks!! :) Interesting essay prompt.

Anyone know why the Global Health Track is not listed on the website as a track that requires an essay? I'm hoping it's because the track doesn't require an essay; it hasn't been discontinued, has it?

Anyone know why the Global Health Track is not listed on the website as a track that requires an essay? I'm hoping it's because the track doesn't require an essay; it hasn't been discontinued, has it?

Last year's thread has some insight into this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10022088&postcount=54
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10012632&postcount=48
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10128832&postcount=91

As a side note, I'm guessing these secondaries did not go out yesterday? This is one of my dream schools, and I'm getting antsy...

I don't think so. I'm waiting too.

Not a first time poster, here. I opened a new account because my old one had a revealing name and I would like to remain anonymous throughout the application season.

The university held several information sessions for applicants last summer. At a recent session, Ms. Patel (Director of Admissions) insinuated that they may have been having some technical difficulties. At that time, they were anticipating an August 1st secondary release date but said it could take up to August 15th. She said the secondary essay prompt would "probably" remain the same.

Again, this is just hearsay, so don't hold me to it.

It's out, I have one...

Yep, secondary received and submitted.

To answer the question discussed above about the Global Health track, you may check a box that you are interested in it, but it is not one of the two (rural and urban) that require a specific additional essay.

Are we supposed to do anything with our LOR's for Colorado? Or does AMCAS take care of everything?

If the answer is glaringly obvious on the secondary someone can just tell me to re-read it. Thanks.

Funny how there's no confirmation whatsoever they've received the secondary... only a notification of credit card payment upon submission. Guess we'll have to wait till Sept 1st to check status...

Colorado secondary received and submitted. Too bad they'll probably put a hold on my app until my latest MCAT scores come out (early Sept.)

Are we supposed to do anything with our LOR's for Colorado? Or does AMCAS take care of everything?

You have to go into your AMCAS app and make sure you've assigned your letters to each particular school.

If I want to apply to CU-UNITE, then can I still get into Colorado even if I'm not accepted by the specific track? I would LOVE to complete this track, but I don't want to apply to it if it harms my chances of getting into this med school.

If I want to apply to CU-UNITE, then can I still get into Colorado even if I'm not accepted by the specific track? I would LOVE to complete this track, but I don't want to apply to it if it harms my chances of getting into this med school.

Yes. you can still be accepted to the school without being accepted by a certain track. I've been to several admissions sessions and presentations and the dean made it clear that applying for the CU-UNITE or the Rural track has no impact on your admission chances to the MD program. They make decisions on who to accept for certain tracks after they make admission decisions for the MD program.

Yes. you can still be accepted to the school without being accepted by a certain track. I've been to several admissions sessions and presentations and the dean made it clear that applying for the CU-UNITE or the Rural track has no impact on your admission chances to the MD program. They make decisions on who to accept for certain tracks after they make admission decisions for the MD program.

It also says so right on their website

"Students who state an interest in the Rural Track are NOT limited to the Rural Track and may be offered admission to the general School of Medicine class. Applying to the Rural Track will neither increase nor decrease a student's chance of admission to the School of Medicine"

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...al/tracks/ruraltrack/Pages/RuralTrackFAQ.aspx

Got the secondary today too! Yay! :D

Anyone else requesting a fee waiver? I have FAP and they say to email the "fee waiver" to them, but I didn't get anything like that from FAP so I'm not sure what to send them...I guess I'll just email and ask.

Received today and submitted! I feel overly neurotic for how fast that turn around was.

Status
Not open for further replies.