2011-2012 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed at CU and the MS1 who gave my tour interviewed in January and was accepted in March so I wouldn't worry too much about not getting an II yet. Dr. Winn also said that they accept most people at the end of March and about half of the interviewed people get accepted. Based on this, they seem to space out II's and acceptances pretty evenly so I think a late interview at CU is more hopeful than a later interview at most schools.

This is well put and exactly right. CU is rolling, but they roll very slowly so later interviewees are in a good spot compared to many other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if they tend to look at IS earlier in the cycle ?

velleityx -- My sense is that they look at OOS students first...

I think they started with OOS with very high stats, then IS with very high stats/OOS with moderate stats, then IS with moderate stats. Did others notice the same trend?

Members don't see this ad :)
velleityx -- My sense is that they look at OOS students first...

I think they started with OOS with very high stats, then IS with very high stats/OOS with moderate stats, then IS with moderate stats. Did others notice the same trend?

IDK- I'm OOS, 35Q/3.75 and I've been complete for just shy of three months now...

non-trad, tons of experience.

Interview tomorrow, any tips on getting to the correct location? I heard only the cancer center has free parking but I would feel like a jerk using up a parking spot there. I was going to ride in last weekend and scope out the area, but I do not like to waste gasoline. Coming from Boulder, CO (about an hour West).

Interview tomorrow, any tips on getting to the correct location? I heard only the cancer center has free parking but I would feel like a jerk using up a parking spot there. I was going to ride in last weekend and scope out the area, but I do not like to waste gasoline. Coming from Boulder, CO (about an hour West).

The only hard part about getting there is once you actually get to the campus area as some of the roads leading into the campus are closed due to construction. If you drive around for a little bit, you can find a way in though. I parked in the Julesberg lot but the Georgetown lot and Kiowa lot are also pretty close to Ed 1 and 2. All of these lots are visitor lots and only cost $1 for the whole day so it's actually pretty cheap.

Free parking across the street from campus off 17th and Peoria (It's just parking on a residential neighborhood street). Or you can take the DM bus that picks up in front of the UMC on Euclid in Boulder (it drops you off right in front of Building 500). It goes back up at like 4 pm though. Otherwise you will have to find a pay lot.

I am expecting most to come in March.

we all speculated that some acceptances will arrive this week, but i haven't heard anything from the school, but i guess others could have gotten acceptance.
idk :p

so, i actually email Ms.Patel, and this is her correspondence...

Thank you for your e-mail. We have sent out acceptances on two occasions. We anticipate sending out more acceptances before the holiday break. I appreciate your questions and feel free to contact me anytime.

Kind Regards,
Dimple Patel

she didn't mention when those two occasions, it may have been sometime this week and we all missed it, or before. idk...
i decided not to freak out over this anymore, after all to me it was an amazing apportunity to interview here at all, i'm just gong to enjoy my winter holidays and be patient...

so, i actually email Ms.Patel, and this is her correspondence...

Thank you for your e-mail. We have sent out acceptances on two occasions. We anticipate sending out more acceptances before the holiday break. I appreciate your questions and feel free to contact me anytime.

Kind Regards,
Dimple Patel

she didn't mention when those two occasions, it may have been sometime this week and we all missed it, or before. idk...
i decided not to freak out over this anymore, after all to me it was an amazing apportunity to interview here at all, i'm just gong to enjoy my winter holidays and be patient...
I know one was on oct 24th, and the other was a few weeks after. There should be some more coming soon I guess

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite for January 14!!! I am so grateful for the opportunity! Thank you CU!!!

Nice work on the invite.

When did you get your secondary in here?

Early August. Almost 4 months to the day.

Who interviewed on 12/3? Care to give an update for those of us still anxiously awaiting our turn?

i wonder, since we speculated the first acceptance were sent off on 10/24 then second on 11/17, can we expect the third acceptances to be sent on 12/10? too hopeful?

i wonder, since we speculated the first acceptance were sent off on 10/24 then second on 11/17, can we expect the third acceptances to be sent on 12/10? too hopeful?

I hope so....cause the suspense is terrible.
I am somewhere in between this guy -> :bang: and this guy ->:boom:

Who interviewed on 12/3? Care to give an update for those of us still anxiously awaiting our turn?
Not much to update. They have taken a fairly limited number of candidates so far and plan to take a few more before the holiday break. No guarantee that anyone who interviewed on 12/3 will get in before the break. Mostly in-state students at the interview day (I think).

same here, i know i said i'm going to be patient & enjoy the holiday, but my mood changes like 100times a day!!!

Am I the only person who, upon seeing that there is a new post in this thread, immediately thinks "oh crap, somebody else got accepted and my inbox is still empty :("?

Am I the only person who, upon seeing that there is a new post in this thread, immediately thinks "oh crap, somebody else got accepted and my inbox is still empty :("?

no, you're not. :highfive:

Please keep in mind that a grand total of 5 SDNers (I think) have gained acceptance. You compare this to almost any other thread and you should not be worried.

Please keep in mind that a grand total of 5 SDNers (I think) have gained acceptance. You compare this to almost any other thread and you should not be worried.

This is a very comforting thought!

From what I hear, very few acceptances have gone out. A friend spoke with Dimple recently (mid-Nov.) and she said they will make less than 50% of their offers before March. It sounds like not many offers have been made at all.

from what i hear, very few acceptances have gone out. A friend spoke with dimple recently (mid-nov.) and she said they will make less than 50% of their offers before march. It sounds like not many offers have been made at all.

~25 have gone out for a class of 160. And I'm guessing that there's a handful in that first 25 who were qualified enough to go to some really fancy school. So if it helps anyone...10-15% of the acceptances available have been offered. Coming from uGrad, most of us are probably used to being in that top 10-15%...now is a good time to start getting over that...:)

~25 have gone out for a class of 160. And I'm guessing that there's a handful in that first 25 who were qualified enough to go to some really fancy school. So if it helps anyone...10-15% of the acceptances available have been offered. Coming from uGrad, most of us are probably used to being in that top 10-15%...now is a good time to start getting over that...:)

On the day that I interviewed, they said that they generally send out 275-300 total acceptances each year. I think that includes those that come off of the wait-list, though. They emphasized that approximately 49% of the people that get interviews end up being accepted at some point.

On the day that I interviewed, they said that they generally send out 275-300 total acceptances each year. I think that includes those that come off of the wait-list, though. They emphasized that approximately 49% of the people that get interviews end up being accepted at some point.

I couldn't remember those specific numbers. So...they've extended 8-9% of their acceptances. :)

Gimme some love CU! Interviewed on the first day. Not a peep so far though. Loved the school. Loved Dean Winn, and so excited to see all the new facilities. Really hope I get in :xf:

I hate to gossip, but what the heck. Did anyone else hear Dr. Winn is moving to Stanford? From what I heard he's leaving soon. I am sure "they" will say this won't affect anything, but you have to wonder...

I hate to gossip, but what the heck. Did anyone else hear Dr. Winn is moving to Stanford? From what I heard he's leaving soon. I am sure "they" will say this won't affect anything, but you have to wonder...

Yes he is. I think this will change the admission philosophy a little depending on who replaces him.

Dr. Winn has been at/affiliated with Colorado since 1997. He was recently (last year, I think) named Dean of Admissions. Where is this rumor that he's leaving coming from?

guys like him don't stay at state schools for too long.

Does this imply that state schools are inferior to private schools?

This is a legitimate question --- not trying to stir the pot, Just wondering

I think schools like UCLA, UCSD, UW, and UMich would certainly disagree with that sentiment! :) And I would personally choose Colorado over every other private school I applied to. Of course, I don't think anyone could fault Dr. Winn for accepting a position at Stanford--if that is indeed the case.

He probably meant that private schools can throw more money/resources at him than Colorado (or any other state school) can afford to.

Someone from the Winn Lab told me. I don't think it is a rumor, the lab member told me he is looking for a new lab to work in because Dr. Winn accepted a job at Stanford.

Any other IS applicants submit their secondaries in late/mid September and still have heard nothing about an interview?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.