2011-2012 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

can any current students/prior applicants comment on the situaton for OOS'ers but who can prove that they have ties to the state (family living there)? are they very numbers - focused?

Questions 1-3 must be completed by all applicants. Your response to each question cannot exceed 1800 characters (with spaces).

1. Highlighting your experiences in the health care field, what insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician? (Provide details of your health care experiences without providing actual patient names).

2. Describe the activity (curricular or extracurricular) from which you gained the greatest personal benefit and insight.

3. How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a physician or physician scientist?

Members don't see this ad :)
how is everyone approaching the personal benefit/insight question without repeating the most meaningful section on the primary?

I find this exceedingly frustrating given that I just spent endless hours perfecting my answer to this exact question for the primary.

So far I have been working on expanding certain aspects of one of my "most meaningful", sort of as a complementary statement to the one I already made.

Much sympathy. Very annoying.

3. How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a physician or physician scientist?

The school offers a pathology fellowship and has a pathology interest group, but the school seems to produce more GPs than anything else. Would it hurt my application to mention that I have an interest in pathology and that I plan to take advantage of the fellowship and interest group?

Hey all, I'm a second year student at UConn. If you have any questions about the school or student life I'd be glad to do my best to try and answer them.

Hey all, I'm a second year student at UConn. If you have any questions about the school or student life I'd be glad to do my best to try and answer them.

What has been your favorite/best class at UConn and who has been your favorite/most influential professor?

Cool, thanks for the help, Button.

Anyone else figure out what they're going to write for the 'most beneficial' activity? I'm still having a tough time deciding what to do with this, since this question was basically addressed on the primary. :)

I am applying here and would like insight from a current student. I have been looking around on the website but I feel it would be best to ask one of you. sooo to any current student there..

Does the hospital serve a underserved population being in a suburban area?

Are there any aspects of the curriculum/teaching style that you do not like?

What sort of research is available as a medical student? are the resources good?

is there anything about the program you feel is unique compared to other programs?

do you feel a lot of competition between classmates or is there a strong sense of comradery?

Do they have an instate preference? What are the chances for OOS?

Anyone hear back from UConn yet? I submitted my secondary around 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back from them

Anyone hear back from UConn yet? I submitted my secondary around 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back from them

Did you get a confirmation email saying that they received your secondary? I didn't and I'm not sure what they're doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
literally 2 minutes after I emailed them my application I got a reply saying:

Please know that the Supplemental form to your application has been received by our Admissions Office.

Thank you for your interest in the UCONN School of Medicine.

and that's all I've heard (got the email 07/16)

There isn't a status page or anything is there? I haven't heard anything since the immediate response to me sending in my secondary on 7/4.

Just submitted my secondary! OOS non-trad. Lived in Connecticut for a few years many moons ago. Excited to be joining the ranks of UConn applicants!

Just submitted my secondary! OOS non-trad. Lived in Connecticut for a few years many moons ago. Excited to be joining the ranks of UConn applicants!

Where do you live now?
UConn is 20 mins from my house. I wish they had better communication for their applicants, though. :)

Interview! Personal call from the admissions office, super nice. OOS applicant 34R/3.85. Totally pumped.

Last edited:
switchback, any personal ties to CT? Also, when is your interview? I just wanted to know if they even give interviews to OOS at the same time as the IS people (some schools wait to do OOS in Jan).

switchback, any personal ties to CT? Also, when is your interview? I just wanted to know if they even give interviews to OOS at the same time as the IS people (some schools wait to do OOS in Jan).

No personal ties other than I'd love to go there. Interview is on Sept 30th.

I'm a UConn undergrad and UConn SoM is my top choice (I know a lot about it from presentations on campus from Dr. Laurencin and friends that go there). Interview Sept 12, got the call yesterday!

I'm a UConn undergrad and UConn SoM is my top choice (I know a lot about it from presentations on campus from Dr. Laurencin and friends that go there). Interview Sept 12, got the call yesterday!

Princeton, Harvard, MIT. This guy is brilliant.

Any numbers on IS vs OOS acceptances? According to the MSAR they interview 59% of IS applicants (~250) and only 4% of OOS applicants. As a CT resident, I'm wondering if I need to add many more safeties.

Good luck to this year's applicants! :luck:

I just realized it said "due within 4 weeks" and i def. passed that mark -- FML. what should i do? i already called them but no answer.

anyone have any suggestions? i called them AGAIN and still no answer!

anyone have any suggestions? i called them AGAIN and still no answer!
You probably can't apply then. I forgot to apply to UC Davis 2 years ago with same deadline and passed it, and I couldn't access the secondary as a result.

How'd you guys answer this question?

Highlighting your experiences in the health care field, what insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?

I have plenty of experiences but can't really come up with potential questions... especially for all my experiences.

Just got a call from admissions today. Interview invite for 9/26 - anyone else going to be there that day? I live 30 mins from the school, so I'm hoping the interview goes well!

IS applicant
3.7/30

congrats, Adenine! when did you submit/were you complete?

How'd you guys answer this question?

Highlighting your experiences in the health care field, what insights have you gained about potential problems you will face as a physician?

I have plenty of experiences but can't really come up with potential questions... especially for all my experiences.

Think Ethics on this one. Or communication? Think about the barriers that might exist between doctors and patients. Or between doctors and other professionals for that matter.

UCONN, WHY YOU NO GRANT ME FEE WAIVER?

I'm just wondering why UConn asked me for an explanation to grant me a fee waiver when for every other school, a copy of the Fee Assistance Program email and financial aid letter from my university were enough...

hey guys I was just wondering did you guys receive an email saying you were complete for UCONN? because I submitted my secondary on 7/14 and then I got an automatic email saying they received my secondary but that's all I've gotten so far...

hey guys I was just wondering did you guys receive an email saying you were complete for UCONN? because I submitted my secondary on 7/14 and then I got an automatic email saying they received my secondary but that's all I've gotten so far...

I don't think I ever got an email stating that I was complete, but I did get a receipt for my fee.

Thanks Adenine I actually got an interview invite today from UCONN! I'm in-state mcat 35 good luck on your interview I hope we both get in!

Thanks Adenine I actually got an interview invite today from UCONN! I'm in-state mcat 35 good luck on your interview I hope we both get in!

Congratulations! When is your interview? Did you go to undergrad in CT?

Well they scheduled me for 10/17 but then someone I think rescheduled so they offered me 9/2 so that's when I'm interviewing lol no I did my undergrad in NC did you do yours in CT?

Wow that's really soon, good luck! Maybe we'll see each other at second look? (crossing my fingers for that acceptance)

And yes, I went to school at CCSU. :) Right now I'm living in a town neighboring Farmington.

thanks you too! UCONN seems like a real good school yeah I hope we see each other at second look day!

Just got a call from admissions today. Interview invite for 9/26 - anyone else going to be there that day? I live 30 mins from the school, so I'm hoping the interview goes well!

IS applicant
3.7/30

Hey there,
Mind if i ask when you were complete?

Has anyone actually been able to speak with someone at the admissions office since June? Every time I call, I have to leave a message. No calls returned either.

I know that the chances for a non-CT resident at UConn are not high, but does anyone know if they favor New England/New York/New Jersey residents more than residents from the rest of the country?

Joining you guys on the interview trail! 3.5/29 IS =)

Well they scheduled me for 10/17 but then someone I think rescheduled so they offered me 9/2 so that's when I'm interviewing lol no I did my undergrad in NC did you do yours in CT?

How did the interview go? Do you mind sharing some of the questions you were asked?

the interview went well I think; I'm not sure if I can talk about specifics but my advice is just to prepare for the typical big questions you get asked about and using the information from those general questions you can usually answer any specific questions a medical school might ask; I would say in general though that the UCONN interview is pretty relaxed I didn't feel like as if I was getting grilled or anything; everyone was really friendly so I really liked it

Last edited:
I was wondering how stringent the adcom is with returning secondary apps within 4 weeks. I have been so busy with research that I completely overlooked it. I received the secondary on Aug. 17th so it has definitely been more than 4 weeks.

I am thinking of calling them today when I get off of work, but I was wondering if anybody knew specifics.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.