2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite.

Tutored in Juvenile Hall
Mentored gang members
other similar average ECs

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone interviewed here yet or know when the first day of interviews are?

Has anyone interviewed here yet or know when the first day of interviews are?
Either this past week or this upcoming week. Mine's the 28th but they had the 24th open I know (at least interviewing in Chicago-wise)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email about the Medical Scholars program. Did a bunch of other people get this? I am not even applying to this school....should I add it to the list this late in the cycle?

Just got an email about the Medical Scholars program. Did a bunch of other people get this? I am not even applying to this school....should I add it to the list this late in the cycle?

same here... well, if the school seems interesting to you, then I would add it to the cycle, if not, it's some money you could save! :)

I have gotten quite a few MD/PhD invites with only a 33 and no research experience. It is enticing to apply after being invited, but I really don't think my credentials would hold. I have really no way to justify applying for a dual program.

I just got the same email as well.
Funny thing is, they said I performed well on the MCAT, but I only got a 29 on it...

I do have good research experience though, with 2 publications in orthopedic surgery (one 3rd author, two 2nd author - 1 is being submitted this week)

Should I even bother to apply to the MD/PhD program with my relatively low MCAT score?
(I already applied to the regular MD program with no interview invite so far)

I just got the same email as well.
Funny thing is, they said I performed well on the MCAT, but I only got a 29 on it...

I do have good research experience though, with 2 publications in orthopedic surgery (one 3rd author, two 2nd author - 1 is being submitted this week)

Should I even bother to apply to the MD/PhD program with my relatively low MCAT score?
(I already applied to the regular MD program with no interview invite so far)
their site indicates the avg gpa and mcat to be a 32 and 3.5. how much you want to believe that is the average is up to you, but consider the investment you will be making (7-9 years vs 4) and if the savings in tuition and fees justifies it...also you can always (and many do) research in med school

Does anyone know where you do your clinical rotations for the the MD portion of the MD/PhD? I received the same email about the MCAT performance...

Wondering if anyone else has checked their status lately and a list of interview dates has come up??

I havent gotten an email or anything saying that I've been selected for an interview but it says "Interview date not selected" in my status box!

Update: Just called the number listed above and although I didn't get an email or anything I just gave them my AMCAS number and they scheduled it! --- so anyone else that didn't get an email but sees the interview dates - try calling!

bless your heart, chicitie. I've been randomly checking my UIC status every other day or so since I was complete, hoping to see something other than applicant/application in process. Last night, I saw the exact same thing you did (a grid of available spots/dates at each location and status update to "Interview date note selected"). I freaked for a second, thinking maybe it was just a glitch. No e-mail contact and no snail mail from them prior to the status change either. I called this AM to check and it was indeed a silent II. I scheduled it for October...so excited. (I'm IS, non-URM)

Last edited:
Anyone else still been complete for a while and had no status change? I'm a bit frustrated that this is my state school and my application hasn't even been looked at yet, even after being complete on 7/8? :/ Status has never moved from Application in Process!

Anyone else still been complete for a while and had no status change? I'm a bit frustrated that this is my state school and my application hasn't even been looked at yet, even after being complete on 7/8? :/ Status has never moved from Application in Process!

At least I'm not alone. I was complete on 7/6 and my status still hasn't changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been in the same spot since 7/8 too. I guess we should focus on what we have so far. Come October 15, you may not be on this site very much anymore :laugh: - BTW, mine says "Application is in Process" - not "Application in Process"

Last edited:

Complete 7/13, no change from Application is in Process.

I also got the silent Interview Invite. Checked status today and saw a big interview date grid. Never got email or anything.

nice to hear that some of you guys are getting interview date grids on your status page. I hope that most of us will be able to see this on our status pages in the upcoming days/weeks. :)

I have been in the same spot since 7/8 too. I guess we should focus on what we have so far. Come October 15, you may not be on this site very much anymore :laugh: - BTW, mine says "Application is in Process" - not "Application in Process"

Mine says "Applicant in Process"

...they seem to have many ways of saying the same thing

Complete 7/13, no change from Application is in Process.

I was complete 7/7 and I went here for both undergrad and grad school (in the medical school) and I am STILL IN "APPLICATION IS IN PROCESS"

I am a little PO'd...I am also almost positive they sorted the applicants by MCAT score

I've been applicant in process for about 1.5 months now.

I know there is this long post detailing what the different statuses are, but is there really a difference between "applicant in process" and "application in process?"

:confused:

I was complete 7/7 and I went here for both undergrad and grad school (in the medical school) and I am STILL IN "APPLICATION IS IN PROCESS"

I am a little PO'd...I am also almost positive they sorted the applicants by MCAT score

I am also a little frustrated/annoyed with it. And shut the front door.... how do you know that?!

I am also a little frustrated/annoyed with it. And shut the front door.... how do you know that?!

Well just looking at who is receiving interview invite stats, mostly individuals with higher mcats (35+) have received interviews (no preference to in state or out of state), furthermore, from within my graduate department, three students are applying to UIC for med school: one has got a 34, i received a 31, and the other got a 30. I have the highest undergrad and grad gpa (by a lot) out of all of them, arguably the most extracurricular activities, and most affiliation with UIC...yet only the student with a 34 has gone into "Applicant in Process" recently and the student with the 30 and myself have continued to sit in the "application is in process." All three of us are illinois residents, all of us are master's students in the same department at UIC...I am a little ticked because the school admission staff states that it takes into consideration all these different factors....BUUUUUT.....it seems like they take those into consideration after they first look at your MCAT..

Well just looking at who is receiving interview invite stats, mostly individuals with higher mcats (35+) have received interviews (no preference to in state or out of state), furthermore, from within my graduate department, three students are applying to UIC for med school: one has got a 34, i received a 31, and the other got a 30. I have the highest undergrad and grad gpa (by a lot) out of all of them, arguably the most extracurricular activities, and most affiliation with UIC...yet only the student with a 34 has gone into "Applicant in Process" recently and the student with the 30 and myself have continued to sit in the "application is in process." All three of us are illinois residents, all of us are master's students in the same department at UIC...I am a little ticked because the school admission staff states that it takes into consideration all these different factors....BUUUUUT.....it seems like they take those into consideration after they first look at your MCAT..

I don't know if there's any proven difference to being "application in process" vs. "applicant in process", other than maybe meaning they looked at the applicant once already? In fact, if it were to mean anything, it would mean the student is on hold for re-review. Did that colleague of yours turn in his/her secondary before you and your other colleague did? Maybe that's why the status change came sooner. I will admit I was fortunate enough to get an II here already and that I fall into the 35+ category you mentioned. But speculation aside, three people doesn't really make for an accurate sample size.

Don't sweat it - you seem to have a very well-rounded app. I am sure your II is on its way...to join the others you've already received. :) (on that note, congrats on Rush and CMS! )

Last edited:
I've had the "Applicant in Process" status since 8/24. Has anyone had this status for this long?

I read in another thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=294136) that U of Illinois accepts the highest of your MCAT scores. Does anyone know if this means highest from each section? Or highest composite? Thank you!

composite

Also, the admissions department says there is no difference between applicant and application in process, so I would take any status update with a grain of salt, except ofc an II which I would take with a large glass of beer :)

Also, Adcomm member said that GPA is multiplied by a factor depending on your college and major. I was told UIUC engineering or MIT was a 1.0 and it goes down from there (e.g 0.9, 0.8, 0.75). She also said english is a 0.9 (seemed like it was in the same breadth as UIUC)

IMO, people were screened, point totals assigned by an algorithm, and highest scores were presented to the Adcomm at their monthly meeting. They probably presented a number of IS and OOS since they always take a certain percentage of IS and OOS. I remember hearing something about a 60 point total in the past to make the cut, no idea how gpa, mcat, or EC's get in there, although I remember somewhere in the ballpark of ten points (poss 13?) for "diversity" i.e not being white or asian.

Last edited:
composite

Also, the admissions department says there is no difference between applicant and application in process, so I would take any status update with a grain of salt, except ofc an II which I would take with a large glass of beer :)

Also, Adcomm member said that GPA is multiplied by a factor depending on your college and major. I was told UIUC engineering or MIT was a 1.0 and it goes down from there (e.g 0.9, 0.8, 0.75). She also said english is a 0.9 (seemed like it was in the same breadth as UIUC)

IMO, people were screened, point totals assigned by an algorithm, and highest scores were presented to the Adcomm at their monthly meeting. They probably presented a number of IS and OOS since they always take a certain percentage of IS and OOS. I remember hearing something about a 60 point total in the past to make the cut, no idea how gpa, mcat, or EC's get in there, although I remember somewhere in the ballpark of ten points (poss 13?) for "diversity" i.e not being white or asian.
i'd love to see this list just out of curiosity's sake

composite

wut.

Just interviewed here yesterday; wanted to comment on how friendly everyone was (interviewers, admissions office staff, director of admissions) and how relaxed the whole process was.

Interviews were generally conversational, no real curve ball type questions, just open ended questions that let you talk about your opinions and experiences. If I'm not mistaken, your interviewers have access to your personal statement and secondary essays, but I don't think they see your stats, at least not prior to the interview.

If you're coming in from out of town, the trains are way easy to use too, and much cheaper than a taxi!

Just interviewed here yesterday; wanted to comment on how friendly everyone was (interviewers, admissions office staff, director of admissions) and how relaxed the whole process was.

Interviews were generally conversational, no real curve ball type questions, just open ended questions that let you talk about your opinions and experiences. If I'm not mistaken, your interviewers have access to your personal statement and secondary essays, but I don't think they see your stats, at least not prior to the interview.

If you're coming in from out of town, the trains are way easy to use too, and much cheaper than a taxi!

Appreciate the info!

60 points as calculated by an algorithm, e.g mcat + gpa*10 + EC (as graded by a screener)

supreme court said admissions can award points for diversity that factors in the race of an applicant, but can't use racial quotas, hence u of i awards points for your race.

Interview invite 09/27/11.

Completed 09/08/11. 36Q, 3.99 sciGPA. IS.

Really quick turnaround!

My status still says " Recommendation(s): 1 received from AMCAS, expecting a total of 1, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review"...when did most people see a change to Applicant in Process?

Interview Invite! OOS. Complete 8/17!

60 points as calculated by an algorithm, e.g mcat + gpa*10 + EC (as graded by a screener)

supreme court said admissions can award points for diversity that factors in the race of an applicant, but can't use racial quotas, hence u of i awards points for your race.

under that formula, people with a normal gpa and mcat can have over 60 points even without counting any EC's though...

is the "screener" a computer or person?

is it 60 points to get an interview?

also, where did you hear this?

lastly, obviously the school rigor factor (1 being the highest for HYPSM, etc.) woudl make the formula:
mcat + gpa*10*RIGOR OF UGRAD + EC (as graded by a screener)
right?

On hold.

Application in Process 9/6
Applicant in Process 9/14
Application in Process 9/27

Well, at least it's not a rejection! Positive thoughts, right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.