2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My status still says " Recommendation(s): 1 received from AMCAS, expecting a total of 1, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review"...when did most people see a change to Applicant in Process?
I called them after two weeks of the same rec. notice and they then uploaded my letter and my status became application in process

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone in this thread applying to the RMED program? If so, how does it work with regard to interview invites to the regular program?

Is anyone in this thread applying to the RMED program? If so, how does it work with regard to interview invites to the regular program?
AFAIK, completely separate. if you want to pursue something like this though, google "RIMSAP UIC college of med"

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish my status would change at all from Application is in Process... definitely frustrating at this point

I called them after two weeks of the same rec. notice and they then uploaded my letter and my status became application in process

Thanks! I will def give them a call

On hold.

Application in Process 9/6
Applicant in Process 9/14
Application in Process 9/27

Well, at least it's not a rejection! Positive thoughts, right? :)

Whaaaaaaa....how do you know it's a "Hold"? Did you call them and ask them what it means if you change from application to applicant back to application again? I don't check every day but I think I've been "Application in process" since beggining of August (I submitted mine in late July)!

Whaaaaaaa....how do you know it's a "Hold"? Did you call them and ask them what it means if you change from application to applicant back to application again? I don't check every day but I think I've been "Application in process" since beggining of August (I submitted mine in late July)!

I got it from this post on page 2 of the thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11245978&postcount=78) And I was Application in Process, then Applicant in Process, and now back to Application in Process, so I assume I'm on hold.

START

I. Submit Primary.

II. Wait for the email from UIC giving you your login information for the Applicant Status Check site (usually arrives within 2 weeks of submitting your primary): https://mercury.comd.uic.edu/appstat

III. Login, and check your status in the second page. (hit NEXT button)

---

A. "Application Not Complete" = Secondary not yet complete.

B. "Application in Process" = You are complete. --> Goto C.

C. "Applicant in Process" = Your file is being reviewed, 3 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Select Interview Date" = You are good enough for an interview. --> Goto D.
2. "Application in Process" = You are not good enough to grant an interview yet, but might be later on in the cycle. Check back periodically. --> Go back to B.
3. "Final Decision Made ..." = You are not good enough. --> Goto X.
D. "Select Interview Date" (A grid of dates shows up) = Call and schedule an interview date, after which "Interview Scheduled on ... " shows up. After the interview, Goto F.

F. "Decision Pending" = File pending review at the next adcom meeting (every 3rd Thursday of the month). There are 2 options from here, depending on the month:
1. Before May. --> Goto M.
2. On or After May. --> Goto N.
M. Before May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " --> Goto S.
2. "Decision Pending" (No Status Change) + "We'll keep reviewing you" Email (a few days later) = You are a good candidate, but not good enough to grant an acceptance yet. UIC will keep reviewing you at every adcom meeting. --> Go back to F.
N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.
S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.
X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. [Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.]

FINISH

---

Interview invite- Nov 2nd! =D

I've been "Applicant in Process" since 8/24, and I'm dying for an update.

Anyone else been waiting this long, or even longer?

I've been "Applicant in Process" since 8/24, and I'm dying for an update.

Anyone else been waiting this long, or even longer?

you have a long way to go (hopefully not, maybe you'll have a better shot than i do at this point). ive been stuck on that since 7/24..exactly one month earlier than you and still no update :/

just switched over to applicant in process today!

you have a long way to go (hopefully not, maybe you'll have a better shot than i do at this point). ive been stuck on that since 7/24..exactly one month earlier than you and still no update :/

Hopefully both of us get a positive update soon! :xf:

I've been "application in process" for 5 weeks now! It has been like that everyday. Any hope?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite 9/28. IS, complete 8/14. Had been 'Applicant in Process' for about 2 weeks - I probably had a fast reviewer. GL to everyone else!

Interview invite 9/28. IS, complete 8/14. Had been 'Applicant in Process' for about 2 weeks - I probably had a fast reviewer. GL to everyone else!

Congratulations!! Did they have any October dates still open, or is it just November now? I'm going to be in the Chicago area soon-ish for another interview, and getting two done in one trip would be awesome

Counting eggs before they hatch? Meh.

Thanks! And yes, they do. I can't check right now since I already picked mine, but there were plenty of October dates a couple of days ago. Good luck!

If you interview in October your app will be reviewed in October by the adcom.

So "Applicant in Process" is a good thing then. Alright we'll just have to wait then. :xf:

Congratulations!! Did they have any October dates still open, or is it just November now? I'm going to be in the Chicago area soon-ish for another interview, and getting two done in one trip would be awesome

Counting eggs before they hatch? Meh.

October dates are to interview at the Peoria and the Rockford campuses.

Just curious if anyone OOS w/ <30 MCAT has received an II?

Has Illinois rejected anyone pre interview, or do they wait till later?

OOS still waiting for an II here. Status hasn't changed from "Application in Progress."

Interviewed here on 9/23..my status changed to decision pending today...Now the wait begins:scared::scared: I absolutely love this school.:love:

Last edited:
Interviewed here on 9/23..my status changed to decision pending today...Now the wait begins:scared::scared: I absolutely love this school.:love:

Congrats peace, and good luck with hearing back from them! Hope you get some good news :luck:

So I looked at past threads, and it seems like UIC doesn't really pay attention to the "October 15th" date that some other schools do to begin issuing acceptances:

2010-2011 cycle the first person to post a "A final decision has been made" was around 2pm on the 4th Thursday of October. (10-28)

2009-2010 cycle the first person to post a "A final decision has been made" was around 1pm on the 3rd Thursday of October. (10-15)

2008-2009 cycle the first person to post a "A final decision has been made" was around 5pm on the 4th Thursday of October. (10-23)

The 3rd/4th Thursday of October this year is the 20th/27th. I wonder when decisions will come out this cycle...

nice to see you get an acceptance at CCOm and hopefully here too :)

I interviewed at the Rockford campus yesterday, thought I'd share some insight here.

I asked the interviewers on how the application process worked; I am unsure if this was explicitly covered elsewhere in this thread, but applicants are chosen to interview through use of a mathematical algorithm. If your numbers make the cut, you are slated for an interview. It also appears that higher ranked candidates are pushed to the head of the line, regardless of when their application is complete. The other interviewees with me yesterday were OOS with high numbers, and/or from upper-tier universities.

The three interviewers assigned to you (two professionals and one medical student) then judge your personal characteristics and over-night ship their decisions to the Chicago campus where each applicant is re-reviewed at the end of the month in which he or she interviewed. It was not completely clear to me how much input this final review committee has, but the interviewers stated that your algorithm result and your interview are jointly taken into consideration, and a final decision is made to either accept, waitlist, or deny. Approximately half of all interviewees are accepted.

My interviewers did not appear to be completely thorough in their knowledge concerning my application. My personal statement was focused on, and a couple of activities from my AMCAS, but they seemed more interested in determining what kind of person I am through personal questions, hypothetical situations, and a few ethical conundrums. My secondary essays were never mentioned, nor were my grades or MCAT. The interviews last approximately 30 minutes, though mine lasted significantly longer (a sure sign of interest I believe!).

Though I am pursuing MD/MPH and would have to attend the Chicago campus, Rockford surprised me! Their facilities are new and have some cutting-edge technology, the students were friendly and engaging, and the staff was eager to assist. I found my interviewers to be down-to-earth and very pleasant as well. UIC can contend with any other medical school out there with the opportunities available, it's just that sometimes you really have to independently search for those available options.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs. The epitome of the American Dream!

I interviewed at the Rockford campus yesterday, thought I'd share some insight here.

I asked the interviewers on how the application process worked; I am unsure if this was explicitly covered elsewhere in this thread, but applicants are chosen to interview through use of a mathematical algorithm. If your numbers make the cut, you are slated for an interview. It also appears that higher ranked candidates are pushed to the head of the line, regardless of when their application is complete. The other interviewees with me yesterday were OOS with high numbers, and/or from upper-tier universities.

The three interviewers assigned to you (two professionals and one medical student) then judge your personal characteristics and over-night ship their decisions to the Chicago campus where each applicant is re-reviewed at the end of the month in which he or she interviewed. It was not completely clear to me how much input this final review committee has, but the interviewers stated that your algorithm result and your interview are jointly taken into consideration, and a final decision is made to either accept, waitlist, or deny. Approximately half of all interviewees are accepted.

My interviewers did not appear to be completely thorough in their knowledge concerning my application. My personal statement was focused on, and a couple of activities from my AMCAS, but they seemed more interested in determining what kind of person I am through personal questions, hypothetical situations, and a few ethical conundrums. My secondary essays were never mentioned, nor were my grades or MCAT. The interviews last approximately 30 minutes, though mine lasted significantly longer (a sure sign of interest I believe!).

Though I am pursuing MD/MPH and would have to attend the Chicago campus, Rockford surprised me! Their facilities are new and have some cutting-edge technology, the students were friendly and engaging, and the staff was eager to assist. I found my interviewers to be down-to-earth and very pleasant as well. UIC can contend with any other medical school out there with the opportunities available, it's just that sometimes you really have to independently search for those available options.

nice to know this, and hopefully you hear something well from here too.

I think this plays a significant role in the formula, if EC's and such don't come in to play until post interview. I know n = 1, but I'm an IS reapplicant who didn't get an interview last cycle despite numbers that coincide well with UIC MSAR data.

Thanks for looking up the old dates...it looks like at least another two weeks of waiting ...

I think this plays a significant role in the formula, if EC's and such don't come in to play until post interview. I know n = 1, but I'm an IS reapplicant who didn't get an interview last cycle despite numbers that coincide well with UIC MSAR data.

Donnie, has your status changed yet from Application is in Process?

People who have interviewed - how does housing work for UIC interviews? Do they have a program where you can stay with medical students or did you have to make hotel reservations?

This post was awesomely helpful. I will contribute my n=1 to bolstering this theory of upper-tier schools factoring in, because while I have a competitive MCAT, my GPA is in the toilet (for med school apps at least), albeit from a top 10 school. Thanks for elucidating the mystery of the algorithm vs. interview evaluations and best of luck! Hope you get some good news come October 17th or whatever day at the end of this month. :)

(also....Steve :(:(:(:(:(:(:()

On a lighter note, Weeeeekend is here.
Cheers neurotic Pre-Meds. :D

Congrats peace, and good luck with hearing back from them! Hope you get some good news :luck:

So I looked at past threads, and it seems like UIC doesn't really pay attention to the "October 15th" date that some other schools do to begin issuing acceptances:

2010-2011 cycle the first person to post a "A final decision has been made" was around 2pm on the 4th Thursday of October. (10-28)

2009-2010 cycle the first person to post a "A final decision has been made" was around 1pm on the 3rd Thursday of October. (10-15)

2008-2009 cycle the first person to post a "A final decision has been made" was around 5pm on the 4th Thursday of October. (10-23)

The 3rd/4th Thursday of October this year is the 20th/27th. I wonder when decisions will come out this cycle...

Thanks for compiling this! I'm sure I'll start obsessively checking my status page after 10/15 anyway, but if/when nothing changes for days after that, this will be comforting.

Also, make that n=2 for the high MCAT/low GPA from a highly ranked school group. Woo, go us!

Does anyone know if the behavioral science courses have to be taken in lecture - could I just take all three courses online or does UofI not accept online courses in satisfying their requirements?

Thanks for compiling this! I'm sure I'll start obsessively checking my status page after 10/15 anyway, but if/when nothing changes for days after that, this will be comforting.

Also, make that n=2 for the high MCAT/low GPA from a highly ranked school group. Woo, go us!

3rd to this one, i suspect we were in the same group

I'm a 2nd year student at the Univ. of Illinois College of Medicine in Peoria. If anyone has a specific question about the Urbana-Peoria-Rockford track, let me know and I'll do my best to answer. Good luck everyone!

Still applicant in process here. Been with this status for 1.5 months. I called the school and they said that I am in line to be reviewed ...

My status has been "Application in Process" for about two weeks but I have an interview in Chicago in November and was wondering how receptive UIC is to "in the area" emails/calls?

I got the last nov 14th interview spot at chicago, only ones left in nov are the 18th and 30th, otherwise the rest seemed to be in dec and jan

Status
Not open for further replies.