2011-2012 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeeeah, Iowa! I'm really excited about this school! I have strong ties to the state and would love to stay in the Midwest. Any Carver students out there who want to give us the lowdown? What makes Iowa great? I'm a little nervous about small town Iowa City; what's the social atmosphere like around those parts? Thanks!

I LOOOOOOVE this school! I visited with low expectations, but everyone I talked to had nothing but excellent things to say about the school. everyone was so friendly and open too! midwest school with an east coast feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeeeah, Iowa! I'm really excited about this school! I have strong ties to the state and would love to stay in the Midwest. Any Carver students out there who want to give us the lowdown? What makes Iowa great? I'm a little nervous about small town Iowa City; what's the social atmosphere like around those parts? Thanks!

I don't know personally but I have heard that Iowa City is actually a really fun town. lots of college students and bars, etc. the small size is the only thing that worries me!

I don't know personally but I have heard that Iowa City is actually a really fun town. lots of college students and bars, etc. the small size is the only thing that worries me!

You know, small size itself doesn't worry me too much. As long as there are fun things to do and some cultural activities, museums, nice parks, summer festivals, stuff like that. What I'm a little more worried about is a really conservative atmosphere more common to small towns. I gotta have my queer friends, you know? My family ties to Iowa give me some concern about this!

Last edited:
You know, small size itself doesn't worry me too much. As long as there are fun things to do and some cultural activities, museums, nice parks, summer festivals, stuff like that. What I'm a little more worried about is a really conservative atmosphere more common to small towns. I gotta have my queer friends, you know? My family ties to Iowa give me some concern about this!

Iowa City is not that small, its population is about 70k. Try going to an undergrad school in a small town of 17k. I've visited Iowa City before (and the campus) and was surprised at the "big city" feel. There was shopping/dining within walking distance of campus, which was really cool. Though campus itself was kind of huge.

Iowa City is not that small, its population is about 70k. Try going to an undergrad school in a small town of 17k. I've visited Iowa City before (and the campus) and was surprised at the "big city" feel. There was shopping/dining within walking distance of campus, which was really cool. Though campus itself was kind of huge.

Oh good. That gives me hope! :)

the campus and Iowa City are very liberal from my experiences. There are lots of good ethnic cuisines around campus and I know more than a few gays that attend school there and love it. always a good sign in my book

Do I need strong state ties if OOS to be considered here? Applying here as a "safety", but CA resident.

Do I need strong state ties if OOS to be considered here? Applying here as a "safety", but CA resident.

I was born and raised in IA then moved to CA, so I hope it helps me out!

the campus and Iowa City are very liberal from my experiences. There are lots of good ethnic cuisines around campus and I know more than a few gays that attend school there and love it. always a good sign in my book

Perfect. I think I would be very happy there. Here's hoping my scores are competitive enough!

Hey everyone! My name is Robert and I'm an incoming M1 here at the Carver College of Medicine. I was born and raised in Iowa City and I went to undergrad here. As far as the "small town" and "conservative" concerns go, I can happily say that Iowa City certainly does not feel like a small town by any means. There are plenty of great restaurants (both local and chain establishments) as well as a dizzying assortment of stores, bars, cultural events (just google "summer of the arts Iowa City") and much much more to feed your non-academic palate. As for the quality of education you will potentially receive here, I can say my undergrad experience was excellent and I really got a taste for the medical profession through lots of volunteering at the University of Iowa Hosptials & Clinics (UIHC) and numerous job-shadowing experiences.

I hope that gives you all a little first-hand taste of what could potentially await you here in Iowa City and best of luck throughout your application season!

I'll be checking back on this thread on occasion to address any other questions you may have about applying/interviewing/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
got email confirmation just now that carver COM has received my primary from AMCAS, and will screen for secondaries in the coming few weeks. it's the first email i've gotten from any school, so quite giddy... :laugh:

got email confirmation just now that carver COM has received my primary from AMCAS, and will screen for secondaries in the coming few weeks. it's the first email i've gotten from any school, so quite giddy... :laugh:

Me too! Freaked out, went and checked if it meant my AMCAS was verified. Nope - Iowa's just super ahead of the game :)

Me too! Freaked out, went and checked if it meant my AMCAS was verified. Nope - Iowa's just super ahead of the game :)

my AMCAS has been verified, so iowa's email was telling me that they have received my complete app.

i don't really get it though - i thought AMCAS sends out the first batch of apps 6/17, but from other threads, some schools have already sent out secondaries?

I got the email saying that they received my app yesterday as well.

Yesterday was 6/17 and that was the first day I saw anyone getting secondaries on SDN, so I think you're right that the first batch went out on the 17th.

I got the email saying that they received my app yesterday as well.

Yesterday was 6/17 and that was the first day I saw anyone getting secondaries on SDN, so I think you're right that the first batch went out on the 17th.

Yep! I got two emails, one saying they got my app and it wasn't verified yet, and the next email said to disregard the first email and that my app had been verified and received by Iowa. Yay, I'm excited!

Anyone know what the screening limits are? Now I'm worried I won't even get the secondary!

Yep! I got two emails, one saying they got my app and it wasn't verified yet, and the next email said to disregard the first email and that my app had been verified and received by Iowa. Yay, I'm excited!

Anyone know what the screening limits are? Now I'm worried I won't even get the secondary!

I think in past years it was something like a 25 MCAT and 2.75 GPA or something like that. It isn't much to worry about.

can anyone confirm the screening requirements of 25 MCAT and 2.75 GPA?

By the way, you guys might want to sign a lease for an apartment ASAP if you haven't done so yet. It's exceedingly frustrating to find a place where the lease does not start on August 1st. Why this inflexibility? Rental companies have a better chance to keep you in their apartment if it's harder for you to find another one. In any case, I won't go on too much of a rant. Just find yourself a place ASAP. It's going to get harder as the month of July draws towards its end.

Last edited:
By the way, you guys might want to sign a lease for an apartment ASAP if you haven't done so yet. It's exceedingly frustrating to find a place where the lease does not start on August 1st. Why this inflexibility? Rental companies have a better chance to keep you in their apartment if it's harder for you to find another one. In any case, I won't go on too much of a rent. Just find yourself a place ASAP. It's going to get harder as the month of July draws towards its end.

Thanks for the advice, but you're about 12 months early....

Ha! I'm such an idiot sometimes! I'm addressing the wrong class. I guess you guys would be the class of 2016. Well, just remember to start your apartment search some time in June of the year you're starting. It's much easier that way.

Just got the secondary. Here are the questions:

Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine. (1500 character limit)

Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class. (1500 character limit)

Question 3: Please list and provide a brief description of medically related experiences (paid or volunteer) in which you have participated over the past 5 years. (3000 character limit)

OPTIONAL: Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application? (1500 character limit)

OPTIONAL: Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school. (1500 character limit)

Received the secondary today. OOS. Anyone know how strict the screen is?

Yaaaay! Secondary! Why do I love this school SO much?

Does anybody else not know how to submit this secondary? I did all the individual parts, except the academic update because I haven't taken any classes since my primary, but I don't see any official submit button.

Does anybody else not know how to submit this secondary? I did all the individual parts, except the academic update because I haven't taken any classes since my primary, but I don't see any official submit button.

better question is does anybody know how to submit this secondary?

Each individual section has a "Save" button and a "Submit" button. You submit each section individually and pay after you do the Final Application section. The main page (first tab) shows the status of all the required segments: it shows if you have the Final Application completed, the Supplementary essays, fee paid, and then your LORs. It also says the academic update and additional information are optional. Pretty sure there's not just one "SUBMIT WHOLE THING" button.

Each individual section has a "Save" button and a "Submit" button. You submit each section individually and pay after you do the Final Application section. The main page (first tab) shows the status of all the required segments: it shows if you have the Final Application completed, the Supplementary essays, fee paid, and then your LORs. It also says the academic update and additional information are optional. Pretty sure there's not just one "SUBMIT WHOLE THING" button.

Okay, thanks. I submitted the individual sections so that's a relief.

Copy/paste medical experience from AMCAS?

My file status is incomplete, even though everything required and all my LORs are complete/received (and have been for a few days). Same for everyone?

My file status is incomplete, even though everything required and all my LORs are complete/received (and have been for a few days). Same for everyone?

Same here. That's why I was confused about having a master submit button, but I guess they don't.

I know University of Iowa is fairly OOS friendly, but is it OOS friendly just to other midwestern applicants or also applicants from states like California, Florida, etc.? Is having a strong tie to Iowa necessary?

Thanks to whoever responds.

I know University of Iowa is fairly OOS friendly, but is it OOS friendly just to other midwestern applicants or also applicants from states like California, Florida, etc.? Is having a strong tie to Iowa necessary?

Thanks to whoever responds.

I was accepted this past year. I'm from California and have no ties to Iowa. I know there are quite a few students from CA, but I'm not sure about Florida.

So for the "Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class" prompt, do you guys think it would be fine to write about a unique personal experience (rather than a characteristic) that wasn't an obstacle but could contribute to the diversity of the entering class?

So for the "Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class" prompt, do you guys think it would be fine to write about a unique personal experience (rather than a characteristic) that wasn't an obstacle but could contribute to the diversity of the entering class?

sounds okay to me.

i'm submitting this one today!

Got the secondary today. Submitted!

I submitted the secondary today!

Congratulations. I'm really excited about Iowa. I have some buddies who are/were attending, and they have some great things to say.

Best Iowa interview tip: READ EVERYTHING on the CCOM website and have a fantastic attitude :)

Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
Got my complete email today. Like a boss

Not verified yet but applying md/phd. Really appreciate the sharing of the md prompts. Is anyone else applying md/phd and able to share the essay prompt? Need to start working on it so I'll be able to submit when they send secondary.

Have you ever heard of Iowa City? It was ranked as the #3 most liberal city in the nation recently. Additionally, it's basically sui generis in Iowa. Good to very good dining, good shopping (about to get a whole lot better with two new shopping districts coming to neighboring Coralville), excellent theater and outdoor activities. Iowa City resembles a small version of Madison more than any Iowa town.

Status
Not open for further replies.